Is not signing a left back going to cost us the league?

SNes

I think Blind and Valencia are doing fine, our problem comes from Mourinho, He doesn't like attacking full backs and never has, at best he'll let one attack as long as the other acts like a third centre back hence the Rojo at left back and Valencia at right back experiment last season.

I think Blind has been one of the best left backs in the league, and the main problem I have with him is he rarely overlaps, but I suspect that's down to Mourinho's instructions than Blinds ability.

el3mel

I think Blind and Valencia are doing fine, our problem comes from Mourinho, He doesn't like attacking full backs and never has, at best he'll let one attack as long as the other acts like a third centre back hence the Rojo at left back and Valencia at right back experiment last season.

I think Blind has been one of the best left backs in the league, and the main problem I have with him is he rarely overlaps, but I suspect that's down to Mourinho's instructions than Blinds ability.
This has been discussed and killed thousands of times. I'll let Shaw replay on you :

Speaking to MUTV , Shaw said: "At times people have said maybe he [Mourinho] doesn’t like his full-backs to go forward but that’s not the case.

"He gives both full-backs that license to go forward, obviously not at the same time but if I have the chance then it’s up to me if I want to go forward or not.

"It’s not that I’ve got to stay put or do particular things, I’ve got the freedom to play and that only gives me the confidence in what I want to do to help the team."

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We should have bought Aurier and Mendy. Said this from day one.
Precisely what I wanted to happen too.
I don't think we even made an approach for either of them.

SouthPredators4

Shaw has done nothing in his United career to suggest that he's currently a better bet at left back than Valencia is at right back.
Exactly.. Shaw walks back into the LB spot without much of a fight despite being shit for over 2 seasons. Look at R.M. They have Marcello and goes for Theo Hernandez. Competition and proper succession planning only boost standards which the club fails in repeatedly.

Jaybomb

Precisely what I wanted to happen too.
I don't think we even made an approach for either of them.
I was shot down for even suggesting we needed a new RB a few months ago.

I think everyone is seeing that it's probably gonna be a mistake now.

Valencia had a good season last year but it's obvious he needed replacing. His crossing is frustrating. We can't persist with that. Why did we not go in for Aurier, Semedo, or even somebody like Cedric?

If it was up to me, Rafael would still be at the club. But that's another topic for another thread.

Tyrion

Only if Shaw doesn't get the opportunity to cement a place in the team. I'm a lot more concerned about right back.
Which definitely shouldn't happen. If Mourinho doesn't give Shaw a chance, he's just making it harder for himself.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Exactly.. Shaw walks back into the LB spot without much of a fight despite being shit for over 2 seasons. Look at R.M. They have Marcello and goes for Theo Hernandez. Competition and proper succession planning only boost standards which the club fails in repeatedly.
What do you mean 'exactly'?

He's had fewer good games for us at left back than Darmian, Blind and Ashley Young. None of whom are left backs.

He's a talented lad but he's been bang average since he signed for us. He's had 47 games in a United Shirt after 67 in Southampton colours.

How anyone would say that we have a greater need for a right back than a left back is bewildering.

NoPace

I like Blind a lot as an O'Shea or Phil Neville type filling in multiple positions, but we have enough depth at CB and Mourinho doesn't rate him as a DM, so the logical move this summer was to sell him somewhere he could start or be the main backup at 3 positions for around 15-20M and then throw that towards a decent 2-way left back who could start this year if Shaw isn't healthy and maybe be the backup in future if Shaw wins the job or we get rid of him and spend big on a proper LB.

Theo would have been great, but Ghoulam is on tiny wages at Napoli so might have been gettable too. Even a lesser player like Jonas Hector, Wendell at Leverkusen, Kolasinac instead of Arsenal getting him or Yuri who went to PSG for 16M might have made more sense.

RB is fine for this year, but the logical long-term move is probably to sell Darmian, buy someone to usurp Valencia or whoever we think will be a star in the future like Odriozola or Henrichs and let him backup Valencia next year and grow into a starting role like Evra did taking over from Heinze.

DazT

Shaw has been getting some minutes in the U23's and believe he should be almost ready to play. I would like to see him given a long run in the team but I think it's all down to his mentality. Shaw needs to get Joses trust and cement his place in the team.

Infra-red

The squad is 3 or 4 short of winning the big prizes; new leftback wouldn't have been a game changer.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We need more than a left back. A left back, more goal threat wingers, a deeper squad, etc.

NJM78

I was shot down for even suggesting we needed a new RB a few months ago.

I think everyone is seeing that it's probably gonna be a mistake now.

Valencia had a good season last year but it's obvious he needed replacing. His crossing is frustrating. We can't persist with that. Why did we not go in for Aurier, Semedo, or even somebody like Cedric?

If it was up to me, Rafael would still be at the club. But that's another topic for another thread.
You are not allowed to suggest a new RB when we already have the best RB in the league according to many on here.

StuCol

Chimp
I think we're not badly off. Shaw, Rojo and Blind for left, Valencia and Darmian for right.

Can't Lindelof do FB as well?

All are going to go through patches of form and all have had good games for us. I don't think we have all that much to worry about.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah, when playing for Southampton... as a teenager. How you have managed to turn that into a negative I have no idea.

Well yeah, I try not to look at his performance level when he's got a broken leg or foot, that tends to somewhat affect his performances.

What you're doing is looking at a handful of performances coming back for injury and deciding all of a sudden he's Titus Bramble and completely ignoring how he has performed when fully fit.
I agree with you he has the potential to be a fantastic left back, but i think saying he should be first choice because of games 4 years ago is way too far. IMO he should fight his way into the team.

Infra-red

Mostly depth issues I'd say
Lack of quality (rather than numbers) out wide is the issue in my view. We have Valencia, Darmian, Blind, Shaw, Rojo, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Mata Young and Mkhitaryan capable of playing out wide at fullback/wingback/winger. The problem is, Valencia aside, none of them are particularly good (Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan are all capable players, but more suited to operating in central areas).

Quality wingers and fullbacks needed next summer if the side is to properly challenge domestically.

Needham

West Ham reckon them not having a proper left back in 85/86 cost them the league, so it's not such a daft question.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just play blind. He was doing fine
Blind's been shite so far? Slow, clumsy, provides no options for the left winger, kept giving the ball away. Yeah, he puts a better cross in than most when he's actually in a decent position.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
We should have signed two FBs. Our options are pathetic compared to the top teams.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From the Riches of Evra and Irwin, to the dross of Blind and Darmian.

Shaw better get his act together fast.

Ole90+3

I think we're not badly off. Shaw, Rojo and Blind for left, Valencia and Darmian for right.

Can't Lindelof do FB as well?

All are going to go through patches of form and all have had good games for us. I don't think we have all that much to worry about.
Compare that to City's options. It's really not good at all.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You were being ironic, yes?
A bit 'tongue in cheek' and a bit 'winky face'...?

Minimalist

Blind's been shite so far? Slow, clumsy, provides no options for the left winger, kept giving the ball away. Yeah, he puts a better cross in than most when he's actually in a decent position.
He's literally one of our highest rated players from the first three matches.

I don't think stats prove everything and he's not been exceptional by any stretch but I get tired of reading this drivel. He may not be blowing your socks off but he's clearly doing a decent job.

Also you'll note he hasn't got an assist or a goal to bump up his ratings - so it's purely on his general play and defensive work.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nah Shaw will prove his worth

in the treatment room

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's literally one of our highest rated players from the first three matches.

I don't think stats prove everything and he's not been exceptional by any stretch but I get tired of reading this drivel. He may not be blowing your socks off but he's clearly doing a decent job.

Also you'll note he hasn't got an assist or a goal to bump up his ratings - so it's purely on his general play and defensive work.
He's been frustrating and poor, the amount of times his crosses have hit the first man is daft. I don't know how you can defend him, he's not the sort of modern left back we need. I don't give a feck about his stats. He's a good squad player, that's about it. Certainly not happy with him at left back.

One of our highest rated performers is quite hilarious.

Minimalist

He's been frustrating and poor, the amount of times his crosses have hit the first man is daft. I don't know how you can defend him, he's not the sort of modern left back we need. I don't give a feck about his stats. He's a good squad player, that's about it. Certainly not happy with him at left back.

One of our highest rated performers is quite hilarious.
Well you really sound reasonable...

He's defensively sound and the numbers back that up (makes significantly more interceptions per match than other 'top six' full backs) which is why he's highly rated, whether you value it or not (that's frankly irrelevant).

His passing is good too by the way, high completion rate and total forward passes comparable to most. Doesn't fit your picture at all.

I agree his crossing has been wank so far. I'll care more if it continues that way (traditionally his crossing is good). Also when Valencia is having similar problems on his side I'm not willing to pick on 'the left back' like that's the main problem. I think both full back positions deserve an upgrade for the future but that doesn't mean Valencia and Blind are shite.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It might do. But at least we are now at a point where it is really obvious where we need to improve, and that has been whittled down to one or two positions. If we don't win the title this year then I'm pretty sure we will compete and it is pretty obvious right now that this is the best squad most equipped to challenge that we've had since Fergie left. I also totally trust us for the first time in years to rectify any deficiencies within the squad. If this is a problem by the end of the season, it won't be at the start of the next.

tomaldinho1

Yes, our full back situation has pissed me off for the last few years no end.

Valencia: not an RB but has converted well. Awful crossing but at least is hard to get past and seems to be made from the same stuff as the terminator.
Blind: is he an LB, is he a DM, is he a CB? No one knows but he's a good squad player nothing more.
Shaw: overweight, injured, out of favour, injured again. At least he is a full back by trade.
Darmian: RB/RWB for Italy...so let's play him at LB where he is constantly exposed and shocking going forward.
Rojo: Argentina's starting CB but let's play him at LB and make everyone hate him...oh wait he's actually good at CB
Ashley Young: Tripe

In the meantime, the following full backs (to name but a few) have moved to clubs in the PL:
Kyle Walker, Mendy, Bellerin, F Luis, Bertrand, Ben Davies, Trippier

mad1max954

It might do. But at least we are now at a point where it is really obvious where we need to improve, and that has been whittled down to one or two positions. If we don't win the title this year then I'm pretty sure we will compete and it is pretty obvious right now that this is the best squad most equipped to challenge that we've had since Fergie left. I also totally trust us for the first time in years to rectify any deficiencies within the squad. If this is a problem by the end of the season, it won't be at the start of the next.
Agreed that this is the best squad post fergie.. but I do think we are behind Chelski and Citeh still. As you say, it is obvious where we need to recruit now so thankfully we no longer need a complete rebuild job now - credit to Jose' transfer policy.

I have not doubt jose would of bought a LB and RW if possible, but since we are not state backed, it takes a little longer. I think the building blocks are in place (finally) though. I said at the start of the season, I think we will get top 4 comfortably which I would take so long as we challenge next year.