Is officiating worse than it’s ever been?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As a qualified referee myself albeit only for a year (some years ago and registration long expired now) I can tell you it is all a big club where they are all in it together and everyone sticks up for one another.

The culture will not change anytime soon. I’d be amazed if there were any bent refs at the top level but incompetence will get protected and let’s be honest how many of us have had to make a split second decision with 40,000 mouth breathing scousers trying to pronounce a consonant without spitting.

Not good enough yes, but bent no.

Var is an extension of “let’s look after our own”.
I can’t imagine the pressure of the var official to agree with the on field ref even if said ref is nausing it up completely.

The whole system is broken.
Same problems here in PT, and all arround th wolrd it seems. I actually know some professional refs, and to be promoted you have to kiss a lot of asses and play along with some decisions. Top clubs have a lot of weight in which refs are getting promoted/demoted and even picked for professional division games.

This means refs cannot antagonize all top clubs, they have to "please" at least one of them so they can get credit under the "system".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
this rule about not being able to check yellow cards is stupid.

i’d love to hear what he’s thinking and why it shouldn’t have been a yellow?

I feel like it’s a decision made by the premier league. they don’t want their showpiece match being ruined by a red card so they tell him to keep it moving.

it couldn’t be a more obvious decision.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
this rule about not being able to check yellow cards is stupid.

i’d love to hear what he’s thinking and why it shouldn’t have been a yellow?

I feel like it’s a decision made by the premier league. they don’t want their showpiece match being ruined by a red card so they tell him to keep it moving.

it couldn’t be a more obvious decision.
Specially when it concerns who are on yellow cards. The 2nd yellow card is basically a red card so those situations have to be added to the VAR. It's stupid to have separated the direct red cards and the 2nd yellow cards as their outcome on the pitch is exactly the same

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Specially when it concerns who are on yellow cards. The 2nd yellow card is basically a red card so those situations have to be added to the VAR. It's stupid to have separated the direct red cards and the 2nd yellow cards as their outcome on the pitch is exactly the same
but then you get other situations like luke shaw who’s foul was originally a yellow but suddenly gets elevated to a red by VAR.

as you say it’s a game changing situation and it’s a clear and obvious error it should be used.

the thing that winds me up the most is inconsistency. did you see woods foul for burnley this weekend? it seemed a clear red but somehow gets called a yellow. it was worse then AWBs against young boys etc

tomaldinho1

I still think the refs are trying to get VAR scrapped, to have the tech and not use it with some basic common sense in so many instances is mind boggling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
but then you get other situations like luke shaw who’s foul was originally a yellow but suddenly gets elevated to a red by VAR.

as you say it’s a game changing situation and it’s a clear and obvious error it should be used.

the thing that winds me up the most is inconsistency. did you see woods foul for burnley this weekend? it seemed a clear red but somehow gets called a yellow. it was worse then AWBs against young boys etc
I didn't see it and those inconsistencies will always be there sadly, VAR or not. English referees may need better and uniformed training for the consistency to improve.
Referees bodies let themselves off the hook with this very shady principle of "clear and obvious error" cause it takes a humble to admit his mistake and correct it and English refs are very arrogant

steffyr2

It used to be that grabbing a player around the neck or the waist and dragging him down used to be a foul, right? Not any more.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If you go through football forums during the last 20 years you will find daily complaints of ref standards. The standards havent got worse, all we have is the same complaint threads as previously.