Is Ole’s football really any better than José & LVG’s?

hubbuh

Much better (in the main). That doesn't necessarily mean it's good enough, given the incredibly low bar those two dinosaurs set.

Idxomer

At its best it's been better, but not much better than under the previous two. The defence are going backwards, no debate to be had there. Martial isn't even a shadow of his former self. Rashford is currently going backwards. Bruno is burned out from trying to carry everyone else for a full year of football.

And having said that, the number of abjectly rubbish performances this season has been higher than either season with LVG and Mourinho's first two - not including his meltdown.

Going through every dismal game this season:
Palace 1-3
Brighton 2-3 (deserved to lose by 5)
Spurs 1-6
Chelsea 0-0
Arsenal 0-1
Basaksehir 2-1
WBA 1-0 (VAR win, zero chances created otherwise)
Southampton 2-3 (Awful for 80 minutes and deserved to lose)
The great CL bottling at Leipzig
City 0-0
The fourth semi in a row bottled
Liverpool 0-0
Sheff Utd 1-2
Arsenal 0-0
WBA 1-1
Chelsea 0-0
Palace 0-0

Now try and find me even half as many games this season where anyone could objectively say that we played really well. Good luck with that.

It's been an awful, awful season as far as the quality of our football has been concerned - anyone denying that at this stage is wildly deluded - and it is a miracle every other team bar City has fallen off a cliff at the same time as us.
You could also go back to last season and find a lot of awful games that rival anything LVG and Mourinho put out, I challenge anyone to go and rewatch some of the displays the team showed in the 1st half of last season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We're a streaky team and always have been under Ole. At our best, I would say the football is better, yes. But at our worst, the football is just as bad as anything that came before Ole. Last night was absolutely soul-destroying and as bad as anything served up under Jose or LVG. And that's the trouble in asking such a question. Because sometimes (too many times) his football isn't better than Jose or LVG, and this has been a pattern since he arrived at the club.

And this is why I ultimately hold the view that while he's not a shite coach or a donkey (or whatever other insults have been thrown at him), I don't believe he's going to be the man to win us a Premier League title or a Champions League title. Or even challenge for one, quite frankly.

Gordon S

It is.

The obsessive possession football bonanza under LvG gave us lots of just that, possession, but no attacking intent or penetration. His second season is the only time i actually didn´t want to watch some of our games in my 30+ years of watching United. Absolutely unbearable

With Jose we played "park the bus and just hoof it to a big guy up front and hope he can do something" football. That combined with classic Jose shithousery on the pitch, wasting time and shit, made it unbearable to watch.

Under Ole we´re a bit of a mess but we actually try to play the ball on the ground now. We try to play out from the back instead of just hoofing it, We have a bit of flair in attack, even if we seem to have lost some of it lately. I still look forward to our games now, because i know we can actually play some nice football from time to time.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
2020-21 (Manager - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer)
After 27 Premier League games, United have:
  • 51 points
  • a +21 goal difference
  • are 14 points behind the top of table
Source - https://www.premierleague.com/tables

Compared to:

2014/15 (Manager - Louis Van Gaal)
After 27 Premier League games, United had:
  • 50 points
  • a +20 goal difference
  • were 13 points behind the top of the table
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2014-2015-spieltag/27/

2015/16 (Manager - Louis Van Gaal)
  • 44 points
  • a +10 goal difference
  • were 12 points behind the top of the table
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2015-2016-spieltag/27/

2016-17 (Manager - Jose Mourinho)
After 27 Premier League games played, United had:
  • 50 points
  • a +17 goal difference
  • were 16 points behind the top of the table
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2016-2017-spieltag/27/

2017-18 (Manager - Jose Mourinho)
  • 56 points
  • a +32 goal difference
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2017-2018-spieltag/27/

Trophies won at Man United after 26.5 months at the club (the length of time Ole has now been there):
Van Gaal (1)
  • FA Cup (2016)
Mourinho (3)
  • FA Community Shield (2016)
  • EFL Cup (2017)
  • UEFA Europa League (2017)
Solskjaer (0)

And the football is still boring to watch the majority of the time.

Infra-red

Five hours since we scored a goal from open play.

Seven 0-0 draws this season, the same as Van Gaal's final season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It is.

The obsessive possession football bonanza under LvG gave us lots of just that, possession, but no attacking intent or penetration. His second season is the only time i actually didn´t want to watch some of our games in my 30+ years of watching United. Absolutely unbearable

With Jose we played "park the bus and just hoof it to a big guy up front and hope he can do something" football. That combined with classic Jose shithousery on the pitch, wasting time and shit, made it unbearable to watch.

Under Ole we´re a bit of a mess but we actually try to play the ball on the ground now. We try to play out from the back instead of just hoofing it, We have a bit of flair in attack, even if we seem to have lost some of it lately. I still look forward to our games now, because i know we can actually play some nice football from time to time.
But at our worst, we're just as bad as anything that those two previous managers served up, surely? And it happens a fair amount because that's the sort of team we are. That's why I don't think the question is as easy as a yes or no.

dinostar77

Very hard to compare all three

LVG was all possession based, boring yes. But if he had stayed for another year or so and got the players in he wanted ala Mane from Southampton that summer, who knows where we would got to. Tactically superior to Ole.

Mourinho, results first. Defend first anti football. Again tactically superior to Ole.

Ole, cleaning up the squad from the previous 4 managers (fergie, moyes, lvg, mourinho). Doesnt have all the players he needs at moment i.e. wingers but is moving in the right direction. If the club are patient and Ole keeps getting CL qualification as a minimum then 3-4 seasons time we could have an incredible squad especially if some of the talent from the academy make the step up. Some amazing potential in there.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

LVG was all possession based, boring yes. But if he had stayed for another year or so and got the players in he wanted ala Mane from Southampton that summer, who knows where we would got to. Tactically superior to Ole.

Mourinho, results first. Defend first anti football. Again tactically superior to Ole.

Ole, cleaing up the squad from the previous 4 managers (fergie, moyes, lvg, mourinho). Doesnt have all the players he needs at moment i.e. wingers but is moving in the right direction. If the club are patient and Ole keeps getting CL qualification as a minimum then 3-4 seasons time we could have an incredible squad especially if some of the talent from the academy make the step up. Skme amazing potential in there.
Thank god some people can see this.

Great post.

Water Melon

I do not think Ole is any better than Jose or LvG. At their peak LvG and Jose were 3 levels above. Past their prime LvG and JM are as bad as Ole is currently.

lex talionis

Another knee jerk thread after a bad performance, but this is a fan forum and we have every to throw shit on the wall and see who bites.

The 0-0 to Real Sociedad was an acceptable result. I would have rested key players and risked a defeat, but the result was perfectly acceptable.

The 0-0 to Chelsea was disappointing, but no worse than most of us expected.

The 0-0 to Palace is a fukking debacle and all moaning here is fully warranted.

But let’s not lose our mind over this result. The football on display under Van Gaal and Mourinho was unwatchable, dire beyond belief. We got some results, but it was painful to watch. There’s enough to flog Ole with already but it’s ludicrous to suggest that the football under Ole is a continuation of the zombie football served up by Louis and Jose.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
The highs under Ole has been really high, compared to the previous three.
Build from the back, or something along those lines, SAF I think used to say. Ole looks like that's what he's trying in spending big on Maguire and AWB. He got VdB, who by the looks of it isn't what Ole wanted, considering how little he plays. He persisted with Lingard/Pereira in the Fernandes role, until he got a Fernandes. He's not even trying to fit VdB into the side. Short term/stop gap in Cavani. Guessing he wants someone in attack. probably more than one considering how short we are up front. Give him at least those two/three positions, IMO.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Pretty damning this. No surprise, a few of the games we won were very tight with the odd moment making the difference.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Seasons far from over too. Imagine how many more 0-0's we'll rack up, and more comps to bottle I wonder.

All this with a miles better squad than anything LVG had. If the club aren't already preparing for his successor there's no chance for us.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It was markedly better until the last month and a half.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Ole, cleaning up the squad from the previous 4 managers (fergie, moyes, lvg, mourinho). Doesnt have all the players he needs at moment i.e. wingers but is moving in the right direction. If the club are patient and Ole keeps getting CL qualification as a minimum then 3-4 seasons time we could have an incredible squad especially if some of the talent from the academy make the step up. Some amazing potential in there.
What gives you the confidence that the academy players can make the step up considering the likes of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood has struggled with consistency throughout Ole's tenure?

Their development has stalled and it's showing in their performances for us.

Smores

Better than LvG for sure but on average we're about the same as Jose. I think with Ole and Jose we are/were decent to watch about 25% of the time. The low points of Jose football were intentional though which made it harder to watch.

dinostar77

What gives you the confidence that the academy players can make the step up considering the likes of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood has struggled with consistency throughout Ole's tenure?

Their development has stalled and it's showing in their performances for us.
No-one knows, if the academy players will make the required step up, we dont have a crystal ball. Some make the step up, stagnate and dont develop further others keep improving and become top stars.

What should be apparent to the club and all top clubs with aspirations of winning the CL (Real Madrid aside as they are the outlier). Is that Milan 93-94, Ajax 94-95, Utd 99, Milan again, Bayern mutiple occasions, Barcelona multiple occasions all had 4 or 5 top home grown stars (sometimes more) in their squads.

Its written in the history of the CL, you want to be successful over a fixed period of time i.e. 5 seasons plus, a core of your team needs home grown stars.

Now developing these stars is easier said than done, but where Utd are concerned, we have a very promising crop coming through, if and its a big if, 3-4 of these can become top level stars we have a great chance of being successful again.

I think on paper the academy has the best young talent since the early 90s. I might be wrong and folk who watch alot of academy football might differ. But there is a chance we just need to be patient.

We cant go toe to toe against a soverign state i.e. City/Abu Dhabi. We have to cut our cloth accordingly. City will fall into some fallow years when Guardiola moves on. Then re-emerge. We need to take that opportunity when City are at the end of their cycle, post guardiola. That is a few years from now. See out Guardiola and to an extent Klopp and our squad could peak at the right time and be successfully over a sustained period again.

The Uncle of All Uncles

It's a little bit better sometimes, and a lot better occasionally. But there's no consistency, obviously.

I think a real source of pain comes from watching a team like Man City and knowing, deep down, that Utd will never be as good as them while the club is on this current trajectory.

I get that the club, as an entity, is aiming to be competitive when Guardiola leaves. It's just a shame that Man Utd will never be able to go toe-to-toe with his team in the league. If he ends up staying for another 5+ years, then that's at least 5+ years until Utd could realistically hope to challenge for the title. That's a long time.

And while Guardiola had an off-year last year, the UEFA charges were hanging over the club for most of it. Now that that's been put to bed, there's a real fear that City are only just starting their period of domination. That's disheartening. Not just for the fans, I think it's affecting the players at the club as well. They would be looking at how Man City play their games and feel deeply disheartened that they could never hope to play cohesive, slick, dominating football like that. It probably eats away at them. And when you factor in the amount of money that Utd spend, on salaries as well as transfers, then the team being so far away from their rivals is devastating. Absolutely devastating. This has led to complaints from fans about City's money, etc. but that's ignoring the fact that Utd are going toe-to-toe with them in the spending aspect. Utd have just messed it all up. And if we can see that, then the players can see it too. It's depressing.

Gordon S

But at our worst, we're just as bad as anything that those two previous managers served up, surely? And it happens a fair amount because that's the sort of team we are. That's why I don't think the question is as easy as a yes or no.
We were rarely pure garbage under LvG and José. And that was by design. We kept it simple and avoided risks. We just played an incredibly boring style of football. Under Ole we are more all over the place, we take lots of risks and try to play a more difficult and sexy style of football. We are still unfortunately not very good at it and when we are shit we are old school, slap stick comedy kind of bad. But the moments here and there when we actually pull it off i think it looks really nice. Makes me hopeful for the future. If we change manager i cincerely hope we can keep a similar direction at least

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We were rarely pure garbage under LvG and José. And that was by design. We kept it simple and avoided risks. We just played an incredibly boring style of football. Under Ole we are more all over the place, we take lots of risks and try to play a more difficult and sexy style of football. We are still unfortunately not very good at it and when we are shit we are old school, slap stick comedy kind of bad. But the moments here and there when we actually pull it off i think it looks really nice. Makes me hopeful for the future. If we change manager i cincerely hope we can keep a similar direction at least
I agree with the bold part and that is pretty much what I said. When we do play some good stuff, I do enjoy it more than anything the previous managers served up. It's just a pity we're all over the place in terms of consistency.

Luke1995

I don't think that was really the plan. We were good in the first 2/3 of the pitch under Van Gaal but we just didn't know what to do with the ball once we got into the final 3rd. Its why the possession got tumescent - especially as we were carrying Rooney in that team for 'my captain always plays'.

The tools he was working with were frankly shite in the attacking third - and that was mostly his own fault.
Rooney wasn't that bad during the first Van Gaal season. The second one however, it was tough to justify his place.

I think in the first season it really didn't help that Van Persie had a sudden decline. He was very good in the Moyes season, but after the 2014 World Cup he fell off a cliff as far as his level.

Luke1995

Exactly this. People can shit on Van Gaal, but at least there was some structure, the team followed a plan, good or not. I remember Bayern didn't play some amazing football under Van Gaal either, but it worked and they always could beat top teams. It was boring posesssion football and Ribery, Robben just did there thing. The difference though is that Bayern at least went for coaches that could use the base Van Gaal implemented.
What made Van Gaal go from a very sucessfull manager in the late 90's to being sacked by us ? Did the game just passed him by or he just didn't have the players here to apply his style ?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Almere City FC sacked Ole Tobiasen today. I thought about making a topic about it, but figured "Ole sacked" might create some confusion.

Amir

Solskjaer gives his players freedom which makes the football look better than rigid structures of Van Gaal and Mourinho. That's about it.

Godfather

We're a streaky team and always have been under Ole. At our best, I would say the football is better, yes. But at our worst, the football is just as bad as anything that came before Ole. Last night was absolutely soul-destroying and as bad as anything served up under Jose or LVG. And that's the trouble in asking such a question. Because sometimes (too many times) his football isn't better than Jose or LVG, and this has been a pattern since he arrived at the club.

And this is why I ultimately hold the view that while he's not a shite coach or a donkey (or whatever other insults have been thrown at him), I don't believe he's going to be the man to win us a Premier League title or a Champions League title. Or even challenge for one, quite frankly.
Fair

AndyMUFC

Definitely better overall. Still some absolute dogshit performances ala last night but we've had more highs for sure.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
2020-21 (Manager - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer)
After 27 Premier League games, United have:
  • 51 points
  • a +21 goal difference
  • are 14 points behind the top of table
Source - https://www.premierleague.com/tables

Compared to:

2014/15 (Manager - Louis Van Gaal)
  • 50 points
  • a +20 goal difference
  • were 13 points behind the top of the table
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2014-2015-spieltag/27/

2015/16 (Manager - Louis Van Gaal)
  • 44 points
  • a +10 goal difference
  • were 12 points behind the top of the table
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2015-2016-spieltag/27/

2016-17 (Manager - Jose Mourinho)
  • 50 points
  • a +17 goal difference
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2016-2017-spieltag/27/

2017-18 (Manager - Jose Mourinho)
  • 56 points
  • a +32 goal difference
Source - https://www.worldfootball.net/schedule/eng-premier-league-2017-2018-spieltag/27/

Trophies won at Man United after 26.5 months at the club (the length of time Ole has now been there):
Van Gaal (1)
  • FA Cup (2016)
Mourinho (3)
  • FA Community Shield (2016)
  • EFL Cup (2017)
  • UEFA Europa League (2017)
Solskjaer (0)

And the football is still boring to watch the majority of the time.
So basically points wise we’re about the same, and we’re winning less trophies.

“progress”

Hellboy

We played out 6 nil nil draws this season with 10 games to go and some are still saying that Ole ball is better than LvG or José

The most nil nil draws we had recently were 3 under LvG in 2015

Deluded :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We played out 6 nil nil draws this season with 10 games to go and some are still saying that Ole ball is better than LvG or José

Yeah but he knows the United way and that... I mean I thought the United way was winning trophies & playing good football, but apparently I was wrong..

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
So basically points wise we’re about the same, and we’re winning less trophies.

“progress”
You can look at it one of two ways. Harsh: Hes shit, and hasnt taken us forward. Or Positive: hes as good a manager as LVG and Jose. But those are two managers who werent good enough for us. So either way, Ole aint the man.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
What made Van Gaal go from a very sucessfull manager in the late 90's to being sacked by us ? Did the game just passed him by or he just didn't have the players here to apply his style ?
In my opinion definitely lack of quality on the wings. Individual quality in terms of dribbling, passing players on the wings etc.
Van Gaals system definitely requires those kind of players. Di Maria sadly didn't really perform, he should have been that kind of player for United back then. Other than him, they weren't any quality dribbler in the team as far as I remember.

tomaldinho1

I think you also have to factor in he'd been out of domestic football for a few years, then he came here and our scouts recommended him previous targets (Herrera, Shaw), new targets (Schneiderlin) etc. but otherwise he had to go off his old knowledge of players he'd seen in the WC (Memphis, Blind, Rojo) or tried to sign previously (ADM). That was always going to be a disaster. I always thought he'd be a good transition coach to move us towards more attacking possession based football but, alas, Mourinho then came.

Hellboy

Yeah but he knows the United way and that... I mean I thought the United way was winning trophies & playing good football, but apparently I was wrong..
People comparing him to Jose and LvG :houllier:

Progress from Jose means winning more than 2 titles and achieving more than 2nd or 81 points in the league .. we‘re miles off that

I mean how can you compare 2 managers who did so much in the game and won trophies everywhere including United to Ole

Say that in any non Utd football forum or cafe, people will laugh at you a lot :lol:

He‘s out of his depth, his post game itws are an embarrassment and the rest of the fanbase still supporting this are gonna have to learn the hard way because it will get worse until Pogba comes back

Eternitiy

Van Gaal's football may have been boring at times, but we never looked out of our depth against top opposition. We had a style of play and were not afraid to impose it on our opposition. Ole changes things and goes far too defensive and reactive in what he considers difficult matches.

Giggsy13

Van Gaal's football may have been boring at times, but we never looked out of our depth against top opposition. We had a style of play and were not afraid to impose it on our opposition. Ole changes things and goes far too defensive and reactive in what he considers difficult matches.
LVG’s style and tactics may have worked if we actually had pace on the wings and more dynamic midfield. According to him, we struck out on a lot of his top targets.

Hellboy

LVG’s style and tactics may have worked if we actually had pace on the wings and more dynamic midfield. According to him, we struck out on a lot of his top targets.
Agreed

Amir

He wanted Schweinsteiger, who was never going to offer a dynamic midfield, and wanted Memphis, who was suppposed to offer something on the wing... He made his fair share of errors.