Is our summer transfer window now in chaos?

032Devil

Woodward going. Glazers...going or keeping a low profile; waiting to see what happens next? Does this make our transfer window options less important now that bigger issues have become a priority.

If the Glazers are now reviewing their position re- United, could investing in the club become of secondary importance?

What do you think?

ThemanGiggsy

hoping they decide to splash the cash to get back in to the supports' good graces. wouldnt me surprise if we did, but assume we still pinch pennies per usual

Giggsyking

This chaos is the perfect environment for the Glazer to not invest in the squad. They will use it as an excuse to not invest.

Flying high

I'd take 2 years of no spending if it meant getting rid of the leeches.

If they stay and don't invest OT will be a hostile place when fans return.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'd take 2 years of no spending if it meant getting rid of the leeches.

If they stay and don't invest OT will be a hostile place when fans return.
I wouldn’t want that. For the first time since Fergie left Ole has built a squad that is on the edge of being fantastic. He needs some final support to see if he can push us over the line. If we don’t invest over the next couple years then that could set us back another decade with our best players getting past thief peak ages or perhaps even moving on if we can’t win anything.

Flying high

I wouldn’t want that. For the first time since Fergie left Ole has built a squad that is on the edge of being fantastic. He needs some final support to see if he can push us over the line. If we don’t invest over the next couple years then that could set us back another decade with our best players getting past thief peak ages or perhaps even moving on if we can’t win anything.
I get your point and completely agree. Except that if we don't get the leeches off soon, our club could be ruined by them.

032Devil

I get your point and completely agree. Except that if we don't get the leeches off soon, our club could be ruined by them.
They're financial vampires. They'll invest enough to keep us ticking over. They know that investment is key to financial growth but this is an extraordinary time. However, they don't invest as much as City or Chelsea owners.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nah I don’t really expect things to have changed. The Glazers are money sucking leeches but the aren’t stupid, they still recognize the value in having the club bring in a commercial star.

But I also never expected some crazy window in the first place, we’ve clearly gone away from that strategy in the first place.

FatTails

Honestly, I hope no club makes huge moves in the summer and splashes 100m+ on one player.

The ESL was a terrible idea but it was born out of the fact that revenues, even pre-COVID, were not rising the same way transfers and wages have been. The solution is not to endlessly chase higher revenues regardless of the consequences, but to regulate the transfer market and wage structures.

We have a good team. A couple of smart buys and further developing our young players is all we need.

It will be lovely to see Haaland being paraded around Europe by Raiola and hopefully no one biting.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Honestly, I hope no club makes huge moves in the summer and splashes 100m+ on one player.

The ESL was a terrible idea but it was born out of the fact that revenues, even pre-COVID, were not rising the same way transfers and wages have been. The solution is not to endlessly chase higher revenues regardless of the consequences, but to regulate the transfer market and wage structures.

We have a good team. A couple of smart buys and further developing our young players is all we need.

It will be lovely to see Haaland being paraded around Europe by Raiola and hopefully no one biting.
Great Post.

The whole football circus (not just the Haaland parade) is sickening.

Becoming a grotesque parody of capitalism

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Have Glazers even ever invest their money? No.

I expect the same, we will expect to see 40m-60m net spend this summer.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
We’ll ll have money to spend and we’ll spend it if our targets become available. It’ll be fine. The season isn’t even finished yet.

Number32

It would be surprising if we have 40 millions net spend this summer. Revenue drops 40% since the pandemic.

So we need to sell DDG and Pogba to fund our big transfers.

KD6-3.7

It could go two ways. The club loosens the purse strings a little to be back on the good graces of fans and sponsors from the inevitable damage to the clubs image from the super league debacle.

Or if it’s true the Glazers are thinking of selling the purse strings will be even tighter and we’ll see very little business until they sell.

davidmichael

If they plan on attempting to appease us fans then a spending spree at a time when no one realistically will or can would be a perfect time to attempt it.

Spending money on Sancho, Rice and Varane would go a way to appeasing us in their mind and would fix the main three holes in the team but it depends on whether they’re serious about appeasing us in the first place.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Personally I don't think the Glazers are going to selling the club in the next couple of years, because in these times, I don't see many buyers lining up.

But if they don't sell, I think they will attempt to appease the fans and I think we will make one high profile signing, and to be fair this is something most reputed journalists were saying anyway before the ESL fiasco.

Transfer plans are not something that are drawn up or changed overnight so I think we will carry on with the original plan, one high profile signing along with a couple of budget buys.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
its got to have a knock-on effect, fans need to be more realistic in their demands this summer. We all hate the amount the Glazers have taken from the club, but football right now is in an absolute economic free fall, and man united is no different, we have lost well over a 100 million in revenue last year, and likely it is going to be more this year.

Spending 100+ million on signings and racking up debt would beyond foolish at this stage and not in the best interests of the club. Of course, most fans won't see it this way they will act like they did last summer when there was basically a collective paddy when United refused to break the British transfer record in the middle of a pandemic.

032Devil

Surely, the priority is to get player(s) that can be like Kane or Haaland without having to spend a crazy amount of money on them.

Kane was a nobody but yet another player with potential. Spurs were thinking of selling him one season. What is needed is our staff to recognise real potential and buy a couple of these players rather than waste a ridiculous sum of money that in the long run can only damage United.

We see players like this at other clubs: Bamford at Leeds, Vardy at Leicester, Salah at Liverpool. I know very little about European football but there must be similar players there or in South America.

Sea-Cow

You're right and that would be sensible. But I think everyone at the club will be desperate to keep Pogba, and I have a feeling he doesn't share our thoughts on keeping wages well regulated.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Does anyone think the Glazers will be pissed off with the fans and try to get back at them for all the (deserved) abuse by not forking out as much on transfers?

RobertoBaggio99

Does anyone think the Glazers will be pissed off with the fans and try to get back at them for all the (deserved) abuse by not forking out as much on transfers?
About as likely as me trying to get back at the aliens on Mars for blocking my view of the Aquarius, we're not on the Glazers' minds.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Most teams plan the summer transfer window in the winter. If Woodward, Ole and Co. have not put in place anything for the summer then Ed is more incompetent than anyone could imagine.

It really won’t affect anything except maybe now you won’t be paying players extortionate sums to play for United.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think everybody's summer window is in chaos... the esl issues aside there was already lots of financial issues from covid... some great players of free or close to the end of their contracts next summer ... the fact players will be the euros but travel restrictions will probably be in place making business harder than usual

I'm of the mindset that woody going can't make it much worse but I'm not expecting a huge amount of activity this summer besides perhaps a few panic buys if a player has a good euros so yeah perhaps we will end up with the new poborsky or kleberson

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
hoping they decide to splash the cash to get back in to the supports' good graces. wouldnt me surprise if we did, but assume we still pinch pennies per usual
If they splash the cash chances are they're looking to stay. Short term thinking.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Can't see many big transfers this year, clubs are missing their normal profits to spend but no one will want to sell cheap either, hoping things go back to crazy next summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't forget it being a summer tournament, that's ALWAYS given as a big reason why it's more "difficult".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't see many big transfers this year, clubs are missing their normal profits to spend but no one will want to sell cheap either, hoping things go back to crazy next summer.
"Success" for us this summer you feel, will be keeping Pogba, and maybe signing one squad filler.
Will be amazed if we get more than 15m for Lingard, despite him setting the world alight there.

croadyman

Don't forget it being a summer tournament, that's ALWAYS given as a big reason why it's more "difficult".
Yeah that delays any kind of transfers because the club often want to see how the player performs in the tournament and if he exceeds expectations then that adds a nice few million to the transfer fee, going back to the original question it's still hard to tell if this weeks events will make the window even more chaotic for us or not. I certainly won't be bought by the Glazers offering to spend big but to be honest I don't think that is going to happen anyway

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah that delays any kind of transfers because the club often want to see how the player performs in the tournament and if he exceeds expectations then that adds a nice few million to the transfer fee, going back to the original question it's still hard to tell if this weeks events will make the window even more chaotic for us or not. I certainly won't be bought by the Glazers offering to spend big but to be honest I don't think that is going to happen anyway
As long as you view all the inevitable "United have a massive warchest this summer" stories as being the usual tripe, it's all good.