Is Platini the most underrated footballer of all time?

Bondi77

And yet England had a continuous reputation throughout that decade as being crap. We really weren't. We just didn't know how we were supposed to go about things. We had teams with Barnes, Hoddle, Waddle, Beardsley etc and others all fit for selection. Just didn't have the self confidence to find our own voice, based on feck knows what absence of philosophy.
That is true.
England had some really good players all through that period and even in ‘86’ it took the hand of God to knock us out and we were very unlucky not to make the final in ‘90’. Admittedly though, those two tournaments bookended a horror show in ‘88’ at the Euros.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I specifically said mid 80'es.
But you specifically said Platini was necer the best in the world, which implied those Ballons would hace been Diego's. Incorrect, Platini was head and shoulders the BPITW 82-85 (before that it had been Zico, with a less ete-catching challenger in Rummenigge).

Really? He was there for five years and he won two Serie A, one Coppa Italia and one European Cup.
Depends on your take on dominance. The Juve of the last decade has been more dominant but in a shit league and with nothing to show for it in Europe.

The late 90s Juve was probably better but in a more competitive environment.

That said, you have to factor in changes in foreign quotas, which made it easier to put together great sides.

"Arguably" anyway. Certainly Top 3.

I disagree. Maradonas peak from around 84-89 was better and more consistent than Platinis.
I'd say 85-90, but you are right Diego did have an extended peak. I meant it more along the lines of being the undisputed best for three years on the trot but that's also a function of your competition so probably unfair.

Before Messi/Cristiano, Maradona was a certain in a top two tier along with Pelé in almost everybodys view. Platini was never viewed that way.
Don't get me wrong, I am one of those saying Maradona was THE GOAT and I'm not arguing Platini is. What I was getting at earlier was how he was on the cusp of being in that conversation and Diego stealing the show in Mexico (and his insane 86-87 season) put paid to that to the point of knocking him too far down the pecking order.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
But you specifically said Platini was never the best in the world, which implied those Ballons would have been Diego's. Incorrect, Platini was head and shoulders the BPITW 82-85 (before that it had been Zico, with a less ete-catching challenger in Rummenigge).
I really don't think Platini was the best in the world in these years. Maradona had won the south american equivalent to Ballon D'or at aged 19 in '79 an won it again in '80. He moved for a world record fee in '82 and again in '84. What I mean is, that Maradona was already there.

I will stand corrected on Platini's Ballon D'ors though. Maradona didn't have great seasons at Barcelona, so Platini probably would have won them anyway, at least in '83 and '84. Not so sure about '85. But for me it's like last year when Modric won it. He had a great season, but everybody knew Messi was the better player.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of those saying Maradona was THE GOAT and I'm not arguing Platini is. What I was getting at earlier was how he was on the cusp of being in that conversation and Diego stealing the show in Mexico (and his insane 86-87 season) put paid to that to the point of knocking him too far down the pecking order.
Maybe you're right. I might be the one to prove the point of this thread. He is probably seen as a better player than I have given him credit for. Cheers.

Suedesi

Nonsense. In the first half of the 80s saying Maradona was better than Platini would be a bit like saying Messi was better than Ronaldinho in 2005-06. Not quite, Maradona had been around for a while and been the most expensive transfer, but maybe that helps some younger ones grasp the sudden shift in relative status that takes place in 1986 (2007/08 in the other case).

I wrote this some time ago in the Tiers of Greatness thread:
Thank you for this, some well written opinions (and of course nicely referenced from tiers of greatness thread on which I'll have a look later). :)

Suedesi

He's a very intelligent and articulate man and I think his style of play translate it very well. I can read french and still have "L'Equipe's" golden book 1987 (right after his retirement) in which wrote many articles about him and football in general. His writing level was very high, much more than most the professional sport journalists nowadays. He had a very elegant way to pin down a thought with simple words. About the decision of ending his career, he said "I retire today because I won't be better tomorrow".

I'm old enough to remember the last two years of his career, which were plagued by injuries (groin particularly). Especially the WC 1986 where he played under injections. He still was a brilliant player with a rare elegance. His game vision, passing range and positioning were absolutely phenomenal. His only downside was that he lacked somewhat physical presence as well as stamina, as he didn't gave a feck about fitness. He largely compensated with his intelligence but there's no way he would've lasted a half-time if he played today.

He's not well known because he spent most of his career in the french league (Nancy and St-Etienne) and came relatively late to Juventus. Also, as you said, Maradona. I still consider him as one of the best 10 ever.
Indeed - expresses the same feeling in Italian

antohan

Maradona won the South American equivalent to Ballon D'or in 1979.
It's a rather dodgy "equivalent". It's a football writer's award with one vote per media outlet and Brazilians largely not voting at all (they rarely take part in "South American" stuff for various reasons).

That is, whenever a Brazilian won it was despite that.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It's a rather dodgy "equivalent". It's a football writer's award with one vote per media outlet and Brazilians largely not voting at all (they rarely take part in "South American" stuff for various reasons).

That is, whenever a Brazilian won it was despite that.
Was the Ballon D'or not given solely by the votes of journalists back in the day?

Zico won it in '81 and '82.. Can you provide a link to the story where you read that brazilians didn't vote for this award?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I will stand corrected on Platini's Ballon D'ors though. Maradona didn't have great seasons at Barcelona, so Platini probably would have won them anyway, at least in '83 and '84. Not so sure about '85. But for me it's like last year when Modric won it. He had a great season, but everybody knew Messi was the better player.
By the way, although I'm surprised that Maradona didn't won it in 1987, at least. And Maradona's time at Barcelona was largely viewed as a disappointment, especially considering the price tag — very much similar to his 1982 World Cup performance. He played very well by normal standards, but he wasn't in consideration for the best player in the world, which was already expected of him. Hence why Barcelona let him go and won the league the next season for the first time in more than a decade.

To coincide with the 60th anniversary of the Ballon d'Or in 2016, France Football published a reevaluation of the awards presented before 1995, when only European players were eligible to win the award. 12 out of the 39 Ballons d'Or presented during this time period would have been awarded to South American players; in addition to Pelé and Diego Maradona, Garrincha, Mario Kempes, and Romário were retrospectively recognized as worthy winners. The original recipients, however, remain unchanged.

Maradona and Pelé also received honorary Ballons d'Ors for their services to football in 1996 and 2013, respectively.

Le nouveau palmarès (internationalized reevaluation)

1958 Pelé
1959 Pelé
1960 Pelé
1961 Pelé
1962 Garrincha
1963 Pelé
1964 Pelé
1970 Pelé
1978 Mario Kempes
1986 Diego Maradona
1990 Diego Maradona
1994 Romário

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Platini was truly outstanding at 27-32yo, which coincides with his stint at Juve alongside Boniek or Laudrup, Trapattoni and the Italy WC 82 champions backbone (Zoff, Gentile, Cabrini, Scirea, Tardelli, Rossi). He also had a couple of of powerhouses like Brio, a monumental central defender, and Bonini from San Marino doing the defensive runs in the midfield for him plus golden substitues like Vignola and Briaschi offering him different solutions when games were tight. France was also oustandingly stacked in early to mid 80s. I want to say that his role was more a conductor than a one-man-show, in that he was making the difference on the top of world class teams. Underrated? In today’s terms, probably yes, but you can just listen to his contemporary peers to get the hint he was on par with Maradona in the general consideration inside and outside the pitch, different styles but equally deadly and charismatic.

meninred

If you go by the decades 80's belong to Maradona zico and platini.

antohan

Was the Ballon D'or not given solely by the votes of journalists back in the day?

Zico won it in '81 and '82.. Can you provide a link to the story where you read that brazilians didn't vote for this award?
Technically yes, they were both awarded by journos. In practical terms the difference is substantial.

France Football had a massive reputation and a select hand-picked bunch voted. The SAM award was more about building reputation through the award.

Early on they invited a select few renowned journalists (at that point Brazilian outlets like Placar did take part). But the award wasn't taking off because a big part of establishing it was recognition, to gain recognition you needed more coverage and to get coverage you needed more outlets involved. At that point it starts turning into a free for all and a lot of the more reputable ones switch off, e.g. imagine being Jonathan Wilson and finding your vote is worth as much as that of Alan Shearer or Paul Merson.

It has been see-sawing like that. To the temperamental nature of Brazilian involvement you have to add lack of an established logic. The El Mundo award died because it persevered with wanting to vote the best SAM player while many (quite rightly) didn't vote or want to vote on that basis once players started moving to Europe more regularly. Remember SAM sports journalists in the 70s-80s would be unlikely to be watching much European football and, if anything, had an incentive to promote local one!

From 1986 on it's 100% players playing IN South America. There's still all sorts of oddities. In your average year Copa Libertadores form is the yardstick, but occasionally national team form gets factored in significantly (somewhat unfair to those who are subs of Europe-based players).

They also consider team inclusions as votes. That is, if you are in the XI you get 1 vote, if the journalist names you Best in SAM you get another, both have equal weight. It's nice in that it evens things out for defenders, but there have been really odd outcomes over the years as a result. E.g. it would be possible to have 3 phenomenal #10s splitting threeways and ending up with a bunch of solid but unspectacular defenders in the roster.

I know this details because I was born and raised here. Also lived in Brazil three years. I always took this stuff with a pinch of salt and I'm just telling you why.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Technically yes, they were both awarded by journos. In practical terms the difference is substantial.

France Football had a massive reputation and a select hand-picked bunch voted. The SAM award was more about building reputation through the award.

Early on they invited a select few renowned journalists (at that point Brazilian outlets like Placar did take part). But the award wasn't taking off because a big part of establishing it was recognition, to gain recognition you needed more coverage and to get coverage you needed more outlets involved. At that point it starts turning into a free for all and a lot of the more reputable ones switch off, e.g. imagine being Jonathan Wilson and finding your vote is worth as much as that of Alan Shearer or Paul Merson.

It has been see-sawing like that. To the temperamental nature of Brazilian involvement you have to add lack of an established logic. The El Mundo award died because it persevered with wanting to vote the best SAM player while many (quite rightly) didn't vote or want to vote on that basis once players started moving to Europe more regularly. Remember SAM sports journalists in the 70s-80s would be unlikely to be watching much European football and, if anything, had an incentive to promote local one!

From 1986 on it's 100% players playing IN South America. There's still all sorts of oddities. In your average year Copa Libertadores form is the yardstick, but occasionally national team form gets factored in significantly (somewhat unfair to those who are subs of Europe-based players).

They also consider team inclusions as votes. That is, if you are in the XI you get 1 vote, if the journalist names you Best in SAM you get another, both have equal weight. It's nice in that it evens things out for defenders, but there have been really odd outcomes over the years as a result. E.g. it would be possible to have 3 phenomenal #10s splitting threeways and ending up with a bunch of solid but unspectacular defenders in the roster.

I know this details because I was born and raised here. Also lived in Brazil three years. I always took this stuff with a pinch of salt and I'm just telling you why.
You know your stuff. How was the common belief in South America back then? Zico, Maradona or Platini? I guess it depended on whether you asked an argentinian or a brazilian :)

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
Platini is wildly regarded as a top 10 player ever, no?

I rate him above Zidane
Platini won three times the ranking of the best striker in Serie A, when Serie A was the most important Championship in Europe, and he was a midfielder. He scored many goals more than Maradona in the same period, and Maradona was not a midfielder.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Platini won three times the ranking of the best striker in Serie A, when Serie A was the most important Championship in Europe, and he was a midfielder. He scored many goals more than Maradona in the same period, and Maradona was not a midfielder.
They played the same positions, attacking midfield. I would argue, that England was the best league up until Heysel.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
The thing is PLatini was better than Maradona in a lot of seasons when they both were in Serie A. Also had an amazing Euro with France. Underrated because of his uefa president stuff. Maradona/Platini was a bit like the Messi/CR when they were at Barça/Madrid.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They played the same positions, attacking midfield. I would argue, that England was the best league up until Heysel.
England had the dominant sides in late 70s but just have a look at the foreigners (max 2 for team at that time) playing for Italian sides starting from 80-81 and how the feck Zico & Edinho were at Udinese, Leo Junior at Torino, Berrgreen and Kieft at Pisa (?), Falcao & Cerezo at Roma, Brady at Juve before Platini and so on :wenger:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
His passing was incredible, esp long passes, I don't think many did it better than him.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
England had the dominant sides in late 70s but just have a look at the foreigners (max 2 for team at that time) playing for Italian sides starting from 80-81 and how the feck Zico & Edinho were at Udinese, Leo Junior at Torino, Berrgreen and Kieft at Pisa (?), Falcao & Cerezo at Roma, Brady at Juve before Platini and so on :wenger:
There were definitely some great players in Italy, and Italy was more attractive to especially South Americans. But.. England won the European Cup 7 out of 8 years prior to Heysel when the english teams were banned.

antohan

You know your stuff. How was the common belief in South America back then? Zico, Maradona or Platini? I guess it depended on whether you asked an argentinian or a brazilian :)
From about the mid-70s everyone would say Zico. Feck all idea on European players bar World Cups.

In the 80s we were exposed to Serie A and Zico was getting on a bit so you would agree on Platini, then the more you watched him the more obvious it was he was special and in peak form (something Maradona didn't have, he kept flattering to deceive).

I would concede 85-86 may be borderline as it's not like Napoli were on telly as often as Juve, but Argentina themselves were all over the place and only qualified to the World Cup by the skin of their teeth.

What I can say for a fact is going into that World Cup kids playing in kickabouts still largely wanted to be Zico, Platini or Francescoli (seeing as I'm from Uruguay). Someone wanting to be Maradona was quite rare. Then all of a sudden nobody wanted to be Zico or Platini. They got promptly retired from people's consciousness in just one Summer tournament, and it says nothing about their performance but how jaw-dropping Diego's was. Laudrup also had an outstanding tournament, but nobody cared.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
From about the mid-70s everyone would say Zico. Feck all idea on European players bar World Cups.

In the 80s we were exposed to Serie A and Zico was getting on a bit so you would agree on Platini, then the more you watched him the more obvious it was he was special and in peak form (something Maradona didn't have, he kept flattering to deceive).

I would concede 85-86 may be borderline as it's not like Napoli were on telly as often as Juve, but Argentina themselves were all over the place and only qualified to the World Cup by the skin of their teeth.

What I can say for a fact is going into that World Cup kids playing in kickabouts still largely wanted to be Zico, Platini or Francescoli (seeing as I'm from Uruguay). Someone wanting to be Maradona was quite rare. Then all of a sudden nobody wanted to be Zico or Platini. They got promptly retired from people's consciousness in just one Summer tournament, and it says nothing about their performance but how jaw-dropping Diego's was. Laudrup also had an outstanding tournament, but nobody cared.
1982 was the first WC I can remember. Besides our national league and the national team we were only able to watch the Euro's and WC's, and one match every saturday from England. Me and my mates were always looking for stuff from papers and magazines of South American football. And we were so excited for this WC to finally watch this fantastic brazilian team. Everybody I knew thought they were gonna win it. And then we finally got the chance to watch this wonderkid from Argentina we've heard about. I remember being dissapointed, both in Zico and Brazil, but also in Maradona. That was the only time I've seen Zico play, so he never really kicked on for me.

Four years later though, Maradona didn't dissapoint, and the rest is history regarding him. That WC was the best ever for me. Not just because of Maradona, but also because my country had a great team back then including Laudrup. Our match against you is probably the best match we've ever played ;)

Last edited:

antohan

That WC was the best ever for me. Not just because of Maradona, but also because my country had a great team back then including Laudrup. Our match against you is probably the best match we've ever played ;)
I have a lot of time for that side. Probably the only team that could give me nightmares for weeks after and I still thought "fair fecks to them".

In fairness, I had a lot of time for a few of your players, particularly Simonsen (didn't play) and Elkjaer who was an absolute beast. I was wary in the runup that all our prep was for the opener with Germany, a game we could and maybe should have won, at the detriment of looking like a rabbit in headlights against you.

Similar thing happened in 1990, we prepared for Spain, drew, and then Belgium twatted us.

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
Heysel happened exactly in this period. Platini came in 1982/83, Maradona in 1984/85.

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
It depends on the period that you use but between 75-85 based on UEFA coefficient the Bundesliga would arguably be the best.
For the period I was speaking of the years just before the Heysel, after that Italy won the World Championship in Spain in 1982. In this period in Italy many teams began to sign the best players in the world and Serie A became a very difficult championship. The Premier was the only one with the same quality, I think. Certainly not the Liga in Spain (only two great teams) nor the Bundesliga in Germany. The german star Rummenigge came in Italy in 1984 to join Platini, Zico, Maradona, Socrates, Careca and many other stars.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the period I was speaking of the years just before the Heysel, after that Italy won the World Championship in Spain in 1982. In this period in Italy many teams began to sign the best players in the world and Serie A became a very difficult championship. The Premier was the only one with the same quality, I think. Certainly not the Liga in Spain (only two great teams) nor the Bundesliga in Germany. The german star Rummenigge came in Italy in 1984 to join Platini, Zico, Maradona, Socrates, Careca and many other stars.
I don't disagree with you and to be honest I'm inclined to agree with you but one of the poster used European results as a benchmark and while trophies would point to English clubs, game to game results point to Germany over the period that he mentioned. Now the issue for me, is that it's always difficult to accurately rank leagues and it was even more complicated in the 70s and 80s.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
I don't disagree with you and to be honest I'm inclined to agree with you but one of the poster used European results as a benchmark and while trophies would point to English clubs, game to game results point to Germany over the period that he mentioned. Now the issue for me, is that it's always difficult to accurately rank leagues and it was even more complicated in the 70s and 80s.
Yes, it is certainly difficult but trophies for me are not the best way to judge a whole championship (in many countries there was one or two great teams and then nothing more, as in Spain, Holland, Belgium, France, and so on). You can read the name of many teams from these countries in the list of winners, but that does not mean that their championships were top quality. That is not to say that England was not a top quality championship. For me it was the only one comparable with Italy in this period. I cannot say precisely how to judge Germany on the basis of the european results, but I think that Serie A had a higher medium quality.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Zico is massively underrated it's borderline criminal.
He's the quintessential no.10, you know the typical dude in your team who's great at everything you just let him do whatever he wants to do.
Watching his compilation, he's like Messi before being Messi was cool.
He's fast and supremely skillful, scores loads, dribbles and megs people for fun, playmakes, take deadly freekicks, good with headers.
Too bad he never won world cup.
Platini achieved more than Zico, but Zico was a better player IMO.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
Zico is massively underrated it's borderline criminal.
He's the quintessential no.10, you know the typical dude in your team who's great at everything you just let him do whatever he wants to do.
Watching his compilation, he's like Messi before being Messi was cool.
He's fast and supremely skillful, scores loads, dribbles and megs people for fun, playmakes, take deadly freekicks, good with headers.
Too bad he never won world cup.
Platini achieved more than Zico, but Zico was a better player IMO.

Brazil were robbed of a world cup final place in 1978, Argentina had to win their final game 4-0 to progress to the final instead of Brazil, and would you believe it they won 6 - 0. Everybody believed then that the game was fixed (remember Argentina were the hosts), and more so now. On these fine margins a players legacy can be defined. I agree Zico is criminally underrated, his name is barely mentioned in the greatest ever topics, but he is a much better player than say Zidane.

Denis' cuff

Fabulous player and probably worth top ten or certainly close. There is a degree of bias against him due to corruption and maybe his legend has deservedly suffered because of it.

Odd that that Maradonna’s substance use gets overlooked. I wonder if he would’ve mustered the energy to score goals like the one after the “hand of God” without them. He was hardly the epitome of athleticism and enjoyed an indulgent lifestyle.