Is Pochettino's time at Spurs coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I missed the game because I was on a fecking tinder date. Saw we went 1-0 up and was about to be fuming if we managed to get our first big result in ages and I missed it.

But shock, no. We fecked it up. And shock as shit right back does something shit, as Eriksen and Alli are woeful apparently (but tune in next week when Poch selects them anyway) and even bigger shock as away from home in the Prem, Poch loses to a big six team?

This result won't be enough to get him sacked. But I fecking wish it was.

I mean, 8 points behind top 4 in a year where nobody but the top two are hugely consistent. A 7-2 loss in Europe at home. When do we just go, enough is enough? When we're 15 points behind top 4?

Just pull the fecking trigger Levy.
Why not just say date? Genuinely curious

Oldyella

Weird thread. Feels like we have Utd fans defending Poch while Spurs fans are calling for his head.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why not just say date? Genuinely curious
I honestly have no idea, don’t think there’s much reasoning behind it.

Anyway enough about the tinder girl :lol:.

(Maybe) a controversial opinion: Any Spurs fan who still wants Poch in is delusional and stuck in the past. The man has totally lost the plot and his confused tactics and selection epitomise a man who has no idea how to turn the clubs situation around.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Weird thread. Feels like we have Utd fans defending Poch while Spurs fans are calling for his head.
Funny really. A large majority of you seem to be Ole out, but quite a few also think we are being harsh on Poch, despite us being behind you even though you’ve experienced an injury crisis. We also conceded 7 at home in Europe.

Obviously I get the idea that Poch has earned time from past accomplishments, but for a loooong time now in the league we’ve been declining. The question is: do you keep a manager on longer than you should simply out of respect for what he did in the past? And for me the answer has to be no. You have to put the club first.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Poch's reaction to the question about the substitute reminded me of AVB being defensive to the point of rudeness near the end of his reign.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Poch's reaction to the question about the substitute reminded me of AVB being defensive to the point of rudeness near the end of his reign.
It’s a pretty typical hallmark of a manager who is near the end and under heavy stress, so feeling the need to overreact/over justify things at the slightest provocation. Mourinho went very heavy on it, most (if not all) of these guys have big old egos and don’t like their decisions being questioned by mere journalists.

The football is eerily similar to the end of the AVB era too. The up and at em’ style we knew under Poch for a long while has pretty much disappeared.

Mainoldo

Please please Spurs sack him and get Mourhino. Would make my football season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It’s a pretty typical hallmark of a manager who is near the end and under heavy stress, so feeling the need to overreact/over justify things at the slightest provocation. Mourinho went very heavy on it, most (if not all) of these guys have big old egos and don’t like their decisions being questioned by mere journalists.

The football is eerily similar to the end of the AVB era too. The up and at em’ style we knew under Poch for a long while has pretty much disappeared.
I remember AVB replying to one loaded question with "Huh...says you". Despite him being abrupt, I felt sorry for him in a way.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I dont think anyone expected Spurs to get anything at Anfield, surprised they didnt get slapped for more tbh.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Spurs were wasteful, I wouldn't blame Poch for that loss.
I would. They were gifted a goal early on and produced one chance otherwise. They showed no intent for anything except time-wasting until they went behind and then didn't have much to offer.

It was "cross your fingers and hope for the best" tactics. On another day, they would have taken a heavy beating with that kind of performance relative to ours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I would. They were gifted a goal early on and produced one chance otherwise. They showed no intent for anything except time-wasting until they went behind and then didn't have much to offer.

It was "cross your fingers and hope for the best" tactics. On another day, they would have taken a heavy beating with that kind of performance relative to ours.

It’s standard Poch apologist BS. Manager bares no responsibility for the teams performance, it’s all on our apparently awful individuals. Forget the fact he starts the likes of Alli and Eriksen while benching players showing far more form/effort this season. I mean Ndombele on the bench? Sissoko-Winks again?

We didn’t prepare specifically to face you at all, like you say it was hope for the best. I knew that the second I saw the lineup. People mock Ole’s tactics but at least he switched it up and accepted United had to approach you differently.

redmanx

Why are we actually having this thread? Who cares a toss what happens to Pochettino as long as he doesn't turn up at Old Trafford? Hes Spurs problem, not ours.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why are we actually having this thread? Who cares a toss what happens to Pochettino as long as he doesn't turn up at Old Trafford? Hes Spurs problem, not ours.
Because football exists outside of the United bubble, and some people (including many United fans) want to talk about that as well?

Weird question..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His team selection is just baffling - No N'Dombele in the starting line up, Aurier and Rose again - and guess what we play shite - Eriksen is just a joke at the moment also. We were very fortunate not to get beaten by 2 or 3 goals today.
No N'Dombele was certainly strange, he should have played instead of Eriksen. He'd provide the same level of forward pass ability as Eriksen without any of the 'I dont want to be here' BS you get with the Dane (which ironically means he'd of been better on the ball that Eriksen as well)

kdiglas78

This is the football forum where many teams, coaches and players from all clubs are discussed.

ArjenIsM3

You realize this thread is in the Football forum and not the United one right?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No N'Dombele was certainly strange, he should have played instead of Eriksen. He'd provide the same level of forward pass ability as Eriksen without any of the 'I dont want to be here' BS you get with the Dane (which ironically means he'd of been better on the ball that Eriksen as well)
He chats the bollocks about 'rotation' and whatnot, even though Ndombele has had plenty of rest this season.

Needs to take a leaf out of Klopp's book and play his best team whenever possible, or close enough to it. We aren't City and don't have the depth where we can rest key talents on the regular.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Lot of people on the Ndombele boat. Dont think he does enough without the ball yet, nor does he have the fitness to last against that Liverpool midfield. Poch knows exactly what he is getting from Winks and Sissoko. Winks is constantly tracking back and seems like he never stops running. Sissoko is an amazing athlete, real powerhouse with a big engine. Poch went with two mobile workhorses in that midfield, which seems a sensible play.

I didnt see the game but i am guessing Eriksen was shite? Been shite for a while now, could of had Ndombele over Eriksen I guess.

lysglimt

Scout
Spurs face some obvious problems going forward- Eriksen wants to leave and look like a shadow of his usual self. Dele Alli hasn't looked the part for years. They have an entire defence which should be replaced within 2 years. Rose and Aurier aren't good enough and the other 2 turn 31 and 33 respectively in march/april. Sanchez might be good enough, but he hasn't convinced me yet.

In addition I question both Lloris and Gazzaniga - they are both very good keepers - but they aren't brilliant. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes - but these 2 make a few more mistakes, than the best keepers.

And regardless what is said and done - Kane turns 27 next summer. He is too good to play for a team that doesn't fight near the top, and they might persuade him to stay 1 more season after this - but so much more than that ? Doubtful!

lysglimt

Scout
We don't need Alderweireld.

If we don't think Axel is ready yet we need s dynamic, fast, aggressive partner for Maguire. Lindelof is too passive and frankly,pretty average. Toby would be essentially replacing Lindelof with an older version of himself.
This! But I think Axel is ready...he will make some mistake, but he will learn fast. Long-term I can see him being a United-regular

Jonno

This! But I think Axel is ready...he will make some mistake, but he will learn fast. Long-term I can see him being a United-regular
Agreed.

CB position is as good as sorted for the next 5 years. Other areas (LB, CM, CM, RW, ST) ultimately need more attention than CB.

Jonno

Spurs face some obvious problems going forward- Eriksen wants to leave and look like a shadow of his usual self. Dele Alli hasn't looked the part for years. They have an entire defence which should be replaced within 2 years. Rose and Aurier aren't good enough and the other 2 turn 31 and 33 respectively in march/april. Sanchez might be good enough, but he hasn't convinced me yet.

In addition I question both Lloris and Gazzaniga - they are both very good keepers - but they aren't brilliant. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes - but these 2 make a few more mistakes, than the best keepers.

And regardless what is said and done - Kane turns 27 next summer. He is too good to play for a team that doesn't fight near the top, and they might persuade him to stay 1 more season after this - but so much more than that ? Doubtful!
You also have to worry about who replaces Poch, they don’t go for top tier managers, they go for up-coming managers which would create an element of risk as to where they could end up if their next appointment is a bad one. Their squad has held together very well this last 4-5 years, but you can see big investment is needed in the next year or two.

I don’t see them top 4 for the next couple of years. Not with the likes of Leicester and Chelsea looking streets ahead of them. They’ll do well to compete for 7th with Arsenal, United, Wolves etc being there or thereabouts

hubbuh

It’s standard Poch apologist BS. Manager bares no responsibility for the teams performance, it’s all on our apparently awful individuals. Forget the fact he starts the likes of Alli and Eriksen while benching players showing far more form/effort this season. I mean Ndombele on the bench? Sissoko-Winks again?

We didn’t prepare specifically to face you at all, like you say it was hope for the best. I knew that the second I saw the lineup. People mock Ole’s tactics but at least he switched it up and accepted United had to approach you differently.
Last night was the first time I've properly questioned him. It just seemed so naive from a tactical standpoint. We've just seen how United negated the threat of Robertson + TAA, yet he plays Eriksen and Son on the wing with Aurier and Rose more or less left to their own devices? Son had a decent game but it was painful watching Rose getting torn to shreds time and again. Spurs really seem to lack depth and obviously being at Anfield this was always going to be tough, but last night's setup seemed almost wilfully naive.

PyroMan

The implosion is coming, it's inevitable.

Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Alderweireld, Lloris to be replaced in the summer.

Dele Alli has regressed considerably. Davidson-Sanchez and Aurier are trash. Their only bright spot is their attack and I would be very surprised if teams aren't picking them apart in the upcoming transfer window.

They will have to spend a considerable sum of money, after a pretty big outlay this year. More if they sack and replace Pochettino (a new manager will want his own players).

Look forward to seeing it all unravelling.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lot of people on the Ndombele boat. Dont think he does enough without the ball yet, nor does he have the fitness to last against that Liverpool midfield. Poch knows exactly what he is getting from Winks and Sissoko. Winks is constantly tracking back and seems like he never stops running. Sissoko is an amazing athlete, real powerhouse with a big engine. Poch went with two mobile workhorses in that midfield, which seems a sensible play.

I didnt see the game but i am guessing Eriksen was shite? Been shite for a while now, could of had Ndombele over Eriksen I guess.
That was my point. Eriksen and Alli were absolute gash and have been for ages. Should have either copied our template from the week before or if he (Poch) wanted to do his own thing at least have NDombele on the pitch in place of Eriksen or Alli. Probably should have gone for Moura from the start as well

Too many managers seem to ignore poor current form of players and just continually pick them 'because they know what they're going to get from them'

NWRed

Last night was the first time I've properly questioned him. It just seemed so naive from a tactical standpoint. We've just seen how United negated the threat of Robertson + TAA, yet he plays Eriksen and Son on the wing with Aurier and Rose more or less left to their own devices? Son had a decent game but it was painful watching Rose getting torn to shreds time and again. Spurs really seem to lack depth and obviously being at Anfield this was always going to be tough, but last night's setup seemed almost wilfully naive.
Don't you know Ole is tactically inept, so that can't possibly have happened.

Cloud7

Please please Spurs sack him and get Mourhino. Would make my football season.
This would be brilliant. Mourinho loves trolling Arsenal. Imagine him doing it while managing Spurs. The Emirates would explode.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The implosion is coming, it's inevitable.

Eriksen, Vertonghen, Rose, Alderweireld, Lloris to be replaced in the summer.

Dele Alli has regressed considerably. Davidson-Sanchez and Aurier are trash. Their only bright spot is their attack and I would be very surprised if teams aren't picking them apart in the upcoming transfer window.

They will have to spend a considerable sum of money, after a pretty big outlay this year. More if they sack and replace Pochettino (a new manager will want his own players).

Look forward to seeing it all unravelling.

He is certainly not trash - he has a very bright future. The rest I probably agree with though we could get another couple of years out of Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Teja

It's not so much on Poch as it is on Levy and his lack of investment.

You need to constantly invest and keep freshening up the squad, otherwise the motivation won't last once a squad hits its peak. A five year cycle is a pretty standard in terms of football cycles - Peak Barca was about four years, RM are dropping off after 3 CLs. You can't have the same group of players together for five years and have them continue to hit the same highs.

Levy's a smart cookie, they've been making record profits and can invest now given their new stadium. They just need a clearout to ship players like Eriksen / Alderweirld and maybe even Vertonghen who clearly don't give a shit about being there anymore and replace them with quality. Easier said than done of course, but Papa Perez has made a career out of doing exactly that.

BlueHaze

So to Spurs fans on here, who would you like taking over, assuming your Poch out?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
So to Spurs fans on here, who would you like taking over, assuming your Poch out?
I'd take Mourinho, personally. I think he was a scapegoat for a lot of issues that United had with the squad and transfer policy.

I think a few of us would like a "win at all costs" mentality for a change, especially if it gets us a trophy, rather than being bridesmaids all the time

Rish Sawhney

I'd take Mourinho, personally. I think he was a scapegoat for a lot of issues that United had with the squad and transfer policy.

I think a few of us would like a "win at all costs" mentality for a change, especially if it gets us a trophy, rather than being bridesmaids all the time
Its come full circle. Jesus.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
With the benefit of hindsight you could argue he should have stepped down after the European Cup Final last June. I think this season is harming his reputation. Not to the extent that Moyes' was damaged by his United tenure but still. Selling Trippier looks to have been a mistake. Sigurdsson would probably be the only other selling mistake I can think of which is a brilliant record in 5 years of being a manager. He is the longest serving Tottenham manager since Keith Burtenshaw who was in the hot seat from 1976-1984.

Mr. Ant

With that squad there is no excuse not to be in top 4.

I get that motivating the players after loosing CL final is hard but they were shit in the league since january.

If Poch can't turn this around before christmas he should be sacked imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.