Is Pogba as good as gone?

Nickelodeon

He’s definitely signing an extension. There are no takers this window for sure. And we, as a club, don’t really know how to play hard ball so we’re most likely to give him a nice raise. Whether he’s earned it or not is another thing but with him in the squad, we can go places. So let’s do this.

Web of Bissaka

We have the option to trigger the +1 year extension with the current one.

I'm sure we will, so his contract is actually until 2022.

Plenty of time to assess our options and for him and his agent to be satisfied with our offers.

E-mal

For a long time now am not actually scared of loosing him.
The squad is getting better with great potential and he can be one of the reference point for us if he decides to stay which I think is more likely.

If he doesn't, am sure we will find an adequate solution.

Mainoldo

For a long time now am not actually scared of loosing him.
The squad is getting better with great potential and he can be one of the reference point for us if he decides to stay which I think is more likely.

If he doesn't, am sure we will find an adequate solution.
Who do we replace Paul Pogba with to take us to that next level?

Not being funny but we aren’t finding an adequate replacement for Pogba.

E-mal

Who do we replace Paul Pogba with to take us to that next level?

Not being funny but we aren’t finding an adequate replacement for Pogba.
I don't know mate. While I adore Pogba I just think a controller in the ilk of a Thiago won't be a downgrade as such. While Pogba might be more a goal threat, Thiago if fit gives more control and in big games I'd rather have a Thiago than a Pogba. This is of course my humble opinion.

More worrying is the way we play him as a 2 in midfield, he just doesn't have the positional awareness or discipline. He is better in a 3 man midfield where the 3rd man also contributes in defense and control. Bruno has often played as a second striker especially in build up, isolating Pogba. May be is coaching and it will be sorted during this summer but we sure hell look vulnerable and might be in problem next season.

davidmichael

I think once we sign Sancho plus maybe one or two more Pogba will look at the squad and think we’ve got a great shot at winning trophies on a consistent basis again, I just don’t see him leaving when we’re about to finalise the biggest transfer that the transfer window across all of Europe will see.

We must be close to Liverpool and City points wise if we looked at a table of just when Fernandes signed to the end of the season ? I think our second half of the season outside of the FA Cup semi will have excited Pogba and given him the proof that we’re a few signings away from being regular title/trophy contenders.

The pandemic has certainly gone in our favour in regards to keeping him as no one other than City or PSG would be able to afford him so he knew he wasn’t going anywhere and settled and luckily had a great second half of the season, with the Romano reported £516K a week Sanchez was earning about to be off our books I can see Pogba signing a new long term deal with a pay rise before the new season starts.

Eli Zee

I don't think anyone will be leaving this club unless it's because they aren't good enough.. The atmosphere around the club is too good and our potential is looking really high.

This can change over the course of the next year(s) depending on how transfers/management go, but a lot of players right now would play for us if given the opportunity. This wasn't so much the case three years ago. It used to be wasted time coming here if you wanted to challenge for anything serious

Last edited:

Fitchett

I think once we sign Sancho plus maybe one or two more Pogba will look at the squad and think we’ve got a great shot at winning trophies on a consistent basis again, I just don’t see him leaving when we’re about to finalise the biggest transfer that the transfer window across all of Europe will see.

We must be close to Liverpool and City points wise if we looked at a table of just when Fernandes signed to the end of the season ? I think our second half of the season outside of the FA Cup semi will have excited Pogba and given him the proof that we’re a few signings away from being regular title/trophy contenders.

The pandemic has certainly gone in our favour in regards to keeping him as no one other than City or PSG would be able to afford him so he knew he wasn’t going anywhere and settled and luckily had a great second half of the season, with the Romano reported £516K a week Sanchez was earning about to be off our books I can see Pogba signing a new long term deal with a pay rise before the new season starts.
Top on points, ahead of City and Liverpool, since we signed Bruno.

Leethal

I think that point total is a little misleading, imo. Liverpool and City really had nothing to play for and neither had any reason to be pushed, such is the fact that all the others were so far back to the point of irrelevance to them. Liverpool were miles ahead of City, and City miles ahead of the rest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We're finally back in the CL and if he then doesn't perform at that level, I'll be disappointed after all the huffing and puffing to get out of the club to play there. Big season coming up for Pogba, no more excuses. Lets go!

davidmichael

Didn’t realise we’d actually got more points than both of them since signing Fernandes, that really is a positive sign and surely enough to convince Pogba to sign a new deal with us.

I think that point total is a little misleading, imo. Liverpool and City really had nothing to play for and neither had any reason to be pushed, such is the fact that all the others were so far back to the point of irrelevance to them. Liverpool were miles ahead of City, and City miles ahead of the rest.
We signed Fernandes in January and there was still 4 months worth of games by that point so there was plenty to play for, Liverpool had an incredible lead at the top but that didn’t mean they’d won the title in January and City weren’t that far ahead of Leicester if memory serves me right so if you add in Champions League games either team could have slipped.

DevilRed

I remember the good old days when you had to earn a new contract (Sigh)
I think he has earned one over the last 2 seasons. Especially when OGS took over last year.

Shame about the injuries this season. We might have been able to challenge for 2nd properly, had he been fit for most of the year.

He has been a big part of our resurgence post lockdown though.

E-mal

I remember the good old days when you had to earn a new contract (Sigh)
How about we let him go for pack of crisps and chips considering he is the worst of our midfielders and thehe are are at least 10 midfielders around Europe that are better than him and are available at a very good price.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Are you suggesting we let Paul walk?
That's some serious reading between the lines words there mate, nope it would just be nice if he would perform at the level we know he is capable of for a solid 3 or 4 months before the club even entertain the idea of giving him a new contract given his antics over the last year. Currently he's going through the motions with his i'm doing Manchester United a favour by being here nonsense which rubs many of us up the wrong way.

I think he has earned one over the last 2 seasons. Especially when OGS took over last year.

Shame about the injuries this season. We might have been able to challenge for 2nd properly, had he been fit for most of the year.

He has been a big part of our resurgence post lockdown though.
You do, I don't, but there's no harm having a difference of opinion.

How about we let him go for pack of crisps and chips considering he is the worst of our midfielders and thehe are are at least 10 midfielders around Europe that are better than him and are available at a very good price.
Yeah, okay. Just out of interest like but what flavour crisps?

DevilRed

That's some serious reading between the lines words there mate, nope it would just be nice if he would perform at the level we know he is capable of for a solid 3 or 4 months before the club even entertain the idea of giving him a new contract given his antics over the last year. Currently he's going through the motions with his i'm doing Manchester United a favour by being here nonsense which rubs many of us up the wrong way.

You do, I don't, but there's no harm having a difference of opinion.

Yeah, okay. Just out of interest like but what flavour crisps?
I can see why you don't. I feel the media has played its role in magnifying the situation. His agent of course doesn't help either.

Nonetheless, I think Paul just wants to win trophies at Manchester United. Now that we are on the right track, he can finally see it happening under Ole.

Really good news that the Pogba transfer talk has died down. Now he doesn’t have to do everything with Bruno in the side, hopefully next season we will see the real Paul Pogba.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Pogba's bargaining power waning by the day.

Bruno's signing saved us in more ways than one.
Huh? If he leaves we will see all along how much of a difference he makes. The honeymoon period for Fernandes is over and done so we best hope Paul stays but I am not sure with the massive rebuild that Real Madrid will be looking to complete. Both Paul and Anthony could become targets for them but we would have to see.

Glorio

Huh? If he leaves we will see all along how much of a difference he makes. The honeymoon period for Fernandes is over and done so we best hope Paul stays but I am not sure with the massive rebuild that Real Madrid will be looking to complete. Both Paul and Anthony could become targets for them but we would have to see.
"Honeymoon period" that began before, and continued after a 3 month break? That's a lazy tag, and even when the man was on his last legs, he still made the game changing differences.

Now to Paul, I really want him to stay, but I also agree that having Bruno about strengthens our hand a bit. The key indicator being that Pogba now wants to stay, and the main reason for that (apart from no one else being able or willing to afford him), you feel, is Bruno. Pogba was the only difference maker in that midfield before, now he isn't. Just which we played 4-3-3 at times and moved Pogba up the pitch alongside Bruno.

davidmichael

I know some would be happy to see him go if we got a good offer but Pogba has always been at his best as the support act rather than the main star and with Fernandes now the main star Pogba can just play his game and we’ll see a more settled player.

Outside of the Southampton game Pogba showed that he can play in a two man midfield with Fernandes as the 10 and I think with a rotational option coming in for Matic who needs his game time properly managed to avoid burnout Pogba and Fernandes will thrive, having a Sancho - Martial - Rashford trio (or Greenwood in one of those places) ahead of them.

Someone said the other day that since Fernandes signed we’ve won more points than any other team in the league so that’ll encourage Pogba especially with adding Sancho and maybe someone else to an already impressive 15-16 players in the squad, we’re on the right track now.

KristianMackle

He'll sign that contract extension because he's finally seeing progress and we're also now Champions League bound. Cant really blame him but hopefully he doesn't do a De Gea - sign a contract and then completely lose everything that made him class.

Clermontois

Supports
France
"Honeymoon period" that began before, and continued after a 3 month break? That's a lazy tag, and even when the man was on his last legs, he still made the game changing differences.

Now to Paul, I really want him to stay, but I also agree that having Bruno about strengthens our hand a bit. The key indicator being that Pogba now wants to stay, and the main reason for that (apart from no one else being able or willing to afford him), you feel, is Bruno. Pogba was the only difference maker in that midfield before, now he isn't. Just which we played 4-3-3 at times and moved Pogba up the pitch alongside Bruno.
Honeymoon period, that is correct and after the break he was actually less effective as teams started to close him down much sooner. Watch next season when teams are at full flow and Rashford starts taking the penalties again all of these hyped up stats will subside and team as a whole will perform much better.

Fancy talking about lazy tag when you have just come in to this thread with an untrue media narrative; the only game changing difference Fernandes made post lockdown was to score penalties that he did not win himself or to make a simple pass to a player right in front of him after someone has made the more incisive pass between the lines to him. Cannot wait for this overhyping to dissipate.

If Paul stays which is not a given has nothing to do with Fernandes and more to do with the way the team has improved with different signings coming in. He still our difference maker but now he has a bit more help.

I know some would be happy to see him go if we got a good offer but Pogba has always been at his best as the support act rather than the main star and with Fernandes now the main star Pogba can just play his game and we’ll see a more settled player.

Outside of the Southampton game Pogba showed that he can play in a two man midfield with Fernandes as the 10
and I think with a rotational option coming in for Matic who needs his game time properly managed to avoid burnout Pogba and Fernandes will thrive, having a Sancho - Martial - Rashford trio (or Greenwood in one of those places) ahead of them.
Nice try at continuing that myth mate but from the time he left us a boy until today Paul has always been the star on each of his teams and that is something that is decided by talent level not what the fans think. Fernandes will never be the main anything[except pk taker], once Paul is in the same team, time for prejudiced 'fans' to accept that and support their player. Their is a reason why Paul has rival teams after him and Fernandes does not.

This formation does not suit Paul or our team and the sooner we change to a 4:3:3 the better. Why not make the most of Paul's attacking ability when he along with Anthony are our most talented players, makes no sense and I cannot see him accepting that deep role for long.

Rolaholic

Well Ole seems to be planning next season with him at his disposal and possibly playing a bit more advanced likely as an 8 than what we saw post-lockdown