Is Pogba as good as gone?

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Pogba’s ego is what makes the guy super uninteresting for me. He’s not worth it, would love for us to sell him asap.

clarkydaz

My honest opinion is he's not the player people believed him to be from the Youtube clips. The disappointment is totally self inflicted from not being truly aware of how he is as a player. He's really no different to how he was at Juve, apart from he's not surrounded by quality players now, which shock horror has had an impact on him.

I could be completely wrong, but I see people talk about a Pogba that's never really existed, its not really his fault he's not the player people wrongly thought he was.

I'm not disappointed by Pogba, he's had some truly awful performances for us that have enraged me and made me livid, but overall if he left tomorrow, I'd be more annoyed at the fact we've never made the most of him, and had him back at the club when we've been a total shit show.
I think you've nailed it there. We expected a player he isnt

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Tell me, why do you think so many fans dislike him? Why do I dislike him?

Bear in mind, I'm a passive fan who just reacts to whatever my team puts in front of me.
Because you associate personality characteristics you're unfamiliar with, founded on a generational stereotype and a misunderstanding of the culture he exists in, with an idea of mental fortitude and dedication. You then come to this unfalsifiable conclusion that he is who you say he is, despite only ever getting a glimpse of him through this bizarre lens of media spotlight.

You then reject any of the things he says, or reports about him, that contradict those views, and celebrate everything that fits your narrative. And when people take a different perspective, your view is so firmly grounded that they could only possibly be a fanboy, a sycophant, or something worse, and your view hardens further.

And it's all rooted in this notion of what a football player ought to be - a ludicrous notion, if analysed in any depth.

That, and the money. People get really hung up on the money. It created an expectation he was never going to fulfil.

AFC NimbleThumb

Because you associate personality characteristics you're unfamiliar with, founded on a generational stereotype and a misunderstanding of the culture he exists in, with an idea of mental fortitude and dedication. You then come to this unfalsifiable conclusion that he is who you say he is, despite only ever getting a glimpse of him through this bizarre lens of media spotlight.

You then reject any of the things he says, or reports about him, that contradict those views, and celebrate everything that fits your narrative. And when people take a different perspective, your view is so firmly grounded that they could only possibly be a fanboy, a sycophant, or something worse, and your view hardens further.

And it's all rooted in this notion of what a football player ought to be - a ludicrous notion, if analysed in any depth.

That, and the money. People get really hung up on the money. It created an expectation he was never going to fulfil.
Bloody hell this is the best post I have ever read on this forum. Thank you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

There is nothing to add after that, well said.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Unbelievably on point

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Thanks for proving that you always speak up for the Pogba fanboy sycophants. Decent of you, I must say.

I have a lot of 'personality characteristics' in common with Pogba, I think he's a decent man. But thats neither here nor there. My commentary on him is purely as an employee of the club I support. He's an over rated footballer who doesn't give 2 shits about my club: that's pretty indisputable, even for a sycophant like you.

You only ever pop up and spout 'Pogba's da best' when he delivers one Hollywood pass against some cannon fodder: happens about every 2 months, (when he's not injured). Beyond that, every word above is hyperactive, over intellectualised self righteous claptrap, and none of which can be substantiated with any evidence. Really, its just a few new fancy words to make the same old excuses for Pogba.

As usual but sadly not that often, I expect you to tag me next time Pogba delivers his 1 in 15 game worldie against Crewe Alexander, proclaiming his generational genius. Question I want answered is why you disappear with the tags in the 14 games in between?

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Excellent post

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Thanks for proving that you always speak up for the Pogba fanboy sycophants. Decent of you, I must say.

I have a lot of 'personality characteristics' in common with Pogba, I think he's a decent man. But thats neither here nor there. My commentary on him is purely as an employee of the club I support. He's an over rated footballer who doesn't give 2 shits about my club: that's pretty indisputable, even for a sycophant like you.

You only ever pop up and spout 'Pogba's da best' when he delivers one Hollywood pass against some cannon fodder: happens about every 2 months, (when he's not injured). Beyond that, every word above is hyperactive, over intellectualised self righteous claptrap, and none of which can be substantiated with any evidence. Really, its just fancy words to make the same old excuses for Pogba.

As usual but sadly not that often, I expect you to tag me next time Pogba delivers his 1 in 15 game worldie against Crewe Alexander, proclaiming his generational genius. Question I want answered is why you disappear with the tags in the 14 games in between?
As a response :lol::lol::lol:

fps

Pogba's problem isn't mentality. It's that he's very inconsistent and usually a passenger off the ball. His form varies from 9 to 4 from one game to the next one so you never know if you're getting the great Pogba or the poor Pogba this day. Most world class players perform consistently through the year. Pogba doesn't. Of course on his day he's quality and a great player, but he can't be a world class while blowing hot and cold. Also he should do his dirty work on the pitch when he loses the ball.
This.

fps

My honest opinion is he's not the player people believed him to be from the Youtube clips. The disappointment is totally self inflicted from not being truly aware of how he is as a player. He's really no different to how he was at Juve, apart from he's not surrounded by quality players now, which shock horror has had an impact on him.

I could be completely wrong, but I see people talk about a Pogba that's never really existed, its not really his fault he's not the player people wrongly thought he was.

I'm not disappointed by Pogba, he's had some truly awful performances for us that have enraged me and made me livid, but overall if he left tomorrow, I'd be more annoyed at the fact we've never made the most of him, and had him back at the club when we've been a total shit show.
This too. Fans expected a superhero comic book character, based on his appearance more than his play.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Excellent post, on the point.

SaintMuppet

I think he will stay but only because nobody will pay what we want for him.

Who can blame them he has hardly been the superstar he and his agent tout him as!

Bit over rated tbh but I think we might be stuck with him and his wage bill for a while more now.

roonster09

Scout
I hate Pogba because he doesn't give shit about my club. But somehow I worship Jose who shat on the club, downed tools to get sacked and take the lump sum money because :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Great, great post. There is so much we don't know about players in their everyday lives as footballers outside of what we watch.

I hate Pogba because he doesn't give shit about my club. But somehow I worship Jose who shat on the club, downed tools to get sacked and take the lump sum money because :lol:
Yeah, it's also this crazy notion that if you don't dislike him, you don't hate him then you must surely see Pogba as a "generational genius".
Where is the balance ? Where is the middle ground when talking a player ? Why does Pogba generate this level of hatred ?

Very good and fair post too.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, it's also this crazy notion that if you don't dislike him, you don't hate him then you must surely see Pogba as a "generational genius".
Where is the balance ? Where is the middle ground when talking a player ? Why does Pogba generate this level of hatred ?
Exactly. There is no middle ground for any discussion, at least with few posters. When you see posts like "Pogba barely contributed anything since he signed" then it's easy to see that poster is not worth arguing with.

kouroux

Exactly. There is no middle ground for any discussion, at least with few posters. When you see posts like "Pogba barely contributed anything since he signed" then it's easy to see that poster is not worth arguing with.
It's even worse than that. If the discussion only concerned the football performances only, it would be one thing but the criticism goes further than that, based on a very dodgy source to say the least

fps

You only ever pop up and spout 'Pogba's da best' when he delivers one Hollywood pass against some cannon fodder: happens about every 2 months, (when he's not injured). Beyond that, every word above is hyperactive, over intellectualised self righteous claptrap, and none of which can be substantiated with any evidence. Really, its just a few new fancy words to make the same old excuses for Pogba.

This debate is clearly not between fairly balanced opponents

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's difficult to understand really, we have been poor really since SAF left, I don't think anyone has been great for us in that time, DeGea was for a time but he's not been for a while, but Pogba seems to be the whipping boy and I'm not sure I understand totally how the fee comes into it when comparing his performances to the fact that nobody has performed to a high standard for any length of time.

I said the other day that Gary Neville has been noticeably quiet in his criticism since Pogba has been injured. No mad rants after Newcastle or Bournemouth for some reason.

Anyway in terms of contribution :- Premier League Stats since Pogba came back

Pogba 97 games, 24 goals, 25 assists 1.98
Rashford 112 games, 28 goals, 15 assists 2.6
Martial 89 games, 26 goals, 16 assists 2.12
Lukaku 66 games, 28 goals, 7 assists 1.89

You can say we've been poor, you can dislike Pogba, but his stats suggests that as a CM and sometimes a deep lying CM he is comparable with our centre forwards. You also can't deny that he does more work defensively and deeper on the pitch than the forward players. He contributes defensively even if it's not his strength. There's no denying he contributed more to that than Lukaku, Martial, Rashford.

So he's a midfielder who's stats compare to his own teams forwards and who contributes as a midfielder.

For me that's Pogba. Inconsistencies, poor games etc accepted, but over the course of a season he contributes a lot.

He's not the problem. In fact when he comes back and fits into the team we could be getting somewhere.

VJ1762

Well, let's enjoy him while he is here. Let's see what happens in the summer.

roonster09

Scout
It's even worse than that. If the discussion only concerned the football performances only, it would be one thing but the criticism goes further than that, based on a very dodgy source to say the least
As long as the dodgy source fits their agenda, it's all good. That's how it is.

It's difficult to understand really, we have been poor really since SAF left, I don't think anyone has been great for us in that time, DeGea was for a time but he's not been for a while, but Pogba seems to be the whipping boy and I'm not sure I understand totally how the fee comes into it when comparing his performances to the fact that nobody has performed to a high standard for any length of time.

I said the other day that Gary Neville has been noticeably quiet in his criticism since Pogba has been injured. No mad rants after Newcastle or Bournemouth for some reason.

Anyway in terms of contribution :- Premier League Stats since Pogba came back

Pogba 97 games, 24 goals, 25 assists 1.98
Rashford 112 games, 28 goals, 15 assists 2.6
Martial 89 games, 26 goals, 16 assists 2.12
Lukaku 66 games, 28 goals, 7 assists 1.89

You can say we've been poor, you can dislike Pogba, but his stats suggests that as a CM and sometimes a deep lying CM he is comparable with our centre forwards. You also can't deny that he does more work defensively and deeper on the pitch than the forward players. He contributes defensively even if it's not his strength. There's no denying he contributed more to that than Lukaku, Martial, Rashford.

So he's a midfielder who's stats compare to his own teams forwards and who contributes as a midfielder.

For me that's Pogba. Inconsistencies, poor games etc accepted, but over the course of a season he contributes a lot.

He's not the problem. In fact when he comes back and fits into the team we could be getting somewhere.
Exactly. He had his share of poor games but overall his contribution has been very good. It's not as if he played with total freedom in 3 seasons, he played in defensive role, midfield 2 and all sort of combinations.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pogba is to united what Trump is to the US it seems. He's splitting you lot right down the middle it seems.

I'd say the criticism stems from the fact that people expected / hoped Pogba would lead United back to the top. He didn't. Can't fully blame him for it, since it's a teamsport, but has he really been that good for United? Not really if you ask me.

He seems like a nice bloke aside from that though.

Classical Mechanic

Pogba's problem isn't mentality. It's that he's very inconsistent and usually a passenger off the ball. His form varies from 9 to 4 from one game to the next one so you never know if you're getting the great Pogba or the poor Pogba this day. Most world class players perform consistently through the year. Pogba doesn't. Of course on his day he's quality and a great player, but he can't be a world class while blowing hot and cold. Also he should do his dirty work on the pitch when he loses the ball.
Consistency is about mentality though. Psychological preparedness to bring your 'A game' every time its required. Not losing confidence against tougher opposition where you closed down quicker, where opposition players read your intentions better and need to be at your very highest level to shine.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Pogba is to united what Trump is to the US it seems. He's splitting you lot right down the middle it seems.

I'd say the criticism stems from the fact that people expected / hoped Pogba would lead United back to the top. He didn't. Can't fully blame him for it, since it's a teamsport, but has he really been that good for United? Not really if you ask me.

Robson never managed to lead us back to the top and he would make most alltime United 11s. One player is never going to do that. We weren’t in a final piece of the jigsaw position like we were with Cantona in 93.

Depends what you describe as that good? I’d say he’s been our best player bar perhaps the gk. his stats are very very good for his position. But United have been awful. The past few weeks have seen some shoots of promise. You just have to hope it isn’t another false dawn.

kouroux

You see, something like this is fair criticism for me. I'm absolute fine if someone has this POV. It's when it goes beyond that I don't get it. When it gets personal I mean

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You could argue that Robbo actually played for better United vintages than Pogba - with the exception of two or three very rough seasons (but then he was at United for a long time). Pogba has been a part of a largely dysfunctional and underperforming (per fan expectations) team from day one.

Nevertheless, my take on him would be this: the truth - clearly - lies somewhere between the idea that he's a brilliant player in a shite team and the idea that he's a fundamentally overrated show pony with a poor mentality.

redcafe_reader

The fact that you have to come back with exaggerated points like "Pogba's da best" or "tag me next time Pogba delivers his 1 in 15 game worldie against Crewe Alexander" showed that his post is pretty much on point.

ScarleyUtd

But isn't that partly the fault of agents etc for overhyping? And who appoints said agent? The player. Players now come with expectations they have created themselves, so you can't really blame the fans if they then don't meet them.

Pogba is world class on his day. But that isn't every day is it. Perhaps the team isn't set up well enough around him granted. Or maybe he had something to prove at Juve and that made the difference. He's had a lot of success since including a World Cup, perhaps he feels he's done it all.

Remember that story about Roy Keane after the Treble sensing that some of the team felt they'd 'done it', as in they'd achieved everything? Why not the same with Pogba?

I just wish we could spend the time on here talking about what an absolute star he is being for the club, instead of wondering why he isn't performing or whether he's off to Real Madrid.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't think it helps that it seems like he thinks he's a player he isn't. The way he plays is evident that he's think of himself as an untouchable midfielder who can skip through the centre of the park with ease, create time on the ball and pick the perfect opportunity to pass it. The reality is often the opposite.

clarkydaz

But isn't that partly the fault of agents etc for overhyping? And who appoints said agent? The player. Players now come with expectations they have created themselves, so you can't really blame the fans if they then don't meet them.

Pogba is world class on his day. But that isn't every day is it. Perhaps the team isn't set up well enough around him granted. Or maybe he had something to prove at Juve and that made the difference. He's had a lot of success since including a World Cup, perhaps he feels he's done it all.

Remember that story about Roy Keane after the Treble sensing that some of the team felt they'd 'done it', as in they'd achieved everything? Why not the same with Pogba?

I just wish we could spend the time on here talking about what an absolute star he is being for the club, instead of wondering why he isn't performing or whether he's off to Real Madrid.
the hype/buzz was questioned at Juventus. When rumours were rife he was realisticly coming back for a world record fee, I distinctly remember Emanuelle Petite scoffing at the notion he was worth it, which really shocked me being a French international himself

JPRouve

Scout
the hype/buzz was questioned at Juventus. When rumours were rife he was realisticly coming back for a world record fee, I distinctly remember Emanuelle Petite scoffing at the notion he was worth it, which really shocked me being a French international himself
Off topic but Petit is an idiot and his opinion should never be valued on anything, same thing with Dugarry.

AkaAkuma

For me i think the issue is that the reality of who and what he is as a player isnt the same as the narrative that surrounds him, something he himself has contributed to.

The expectation is that he's a leader and a player to elevate a team, when in reality i think he's a maverick and free spirit.

rampo

Nail, head, strongly hit

JPRouve

Scout
For me i think the issue is that the reality of who and what he is as a player isnt the same as the narrative that surrounds him, something he himself has contributed to.

The expectation is that he's a leader and a player to elevate a team, when in reality i think he's a maverick and free spirit.
Genuine question, I have seen people say that he contributed to that narrative but how? A lot of people that have seen him play before 2016 knew what he was, I know that many posters who watched France and Juventus had a good idea about him, some of us where even suspected to dislike him.