Is Pogba as good as gone?

Ban

Because I wanted it to, some fans do truly hate him and will probably hate to read what Ole said about him.
Me mentioning and focusing on them doesn't mean I don't think neutrals and fanbois don't exist
I don't think anyone hates him.

Eric's Seagull

It's embarrassing for Ole to say it and for the club, bearing in mind that the January transfer window is right around the corner. It will be an excuse used to explain why we don't sign anyone when we are in dire need of midfielders.

I also couldn't care less what Marotta has said, it has no relevance to Manchester United and I bet Inter fans don't appreciate those sort of comments either.
What makes you so sure that it will be used as an excuse to not sign any midfielders in January? I totally agree with the part in bold.

The Bloody-Nine

That Raiola is an independant agent and will do what he deems necessary without feeling forced by Pogba
So are you arguing that in this case Raiola went to the club and told everyone that Pogba wants to leave without Pogba instructing him to?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So are you arguing that in this case Raiola went to the club and told everyone that Pogba wants to leave without Pogba instructing him to?
Yes, I can easily see it happening without obviously being 100% sure. I mean we are all conjecturing but having listening to a football agent on L'équipe, he described that Raiola and Jorge Mendes do not work like typical agents do, that they do bold moves without specific instructions from their clients because the trust in them is high

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Manager made a positive comment on one of our best player who is coming back after close to 2 months and the reactions here from here is just hilarious. fecking hell, people should get a grip.

BootsyCollins

How would you qualify it then? If we still don't perform adequately when Pogba is back, this will come back at Ole because it's an exaggerated statement.
I dont get it.

You said that you love Ole and that you gladly think he should praise Pogba, but you had a problem with the saying "like a new signing, wich is fair. Different strokes and all that.

But then the praising is ass-licking?

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm actually not sure about Pogba absolutely wanting to leave, at the time the new challenge comment made me think about a player putting pressure on his current club more than a player clearly pushing for a move. I don't exclude the will to move but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an attempt to kickstart contract extension talks and also make it known that he wants more for the future, challenge for silverware. The reason I see it that way is because Raiola isn't the type of to just talk, if he and Pogba had decided to leave Raiola would have been in the press every single weeks until it happens.

And for what it's worth, I don't really like that alternative either. I'm not a fan of seeing United involved in that type of games with players and agents, Stretford used to do that quite often.

The Bloody-Nine

Yes, I can easily see it happening without obviously being 100% sure. I mean we are all conjecturing but having listening to a football agent on L'équipe, he described that Raiola and Jorge Mendes do not work like typical agents do, that they do bold moves without specific instructions from their clients because the trust in them is high
I don't believe that for a second in this case. Maybe if Pogba himself hadn't also gone public. You are entitled to your opinion, though, so we can agree to disagree.

kouroux

Because it baffles me how you haven't noticed Pogba is very much hated by part of the fans. I'm not talking about dislike but real hardcore hatred to the point of imagining scenarios of him faking his injuries to miss games for his transfer in January.

kouroux

I don't believe that for a second in this case. Maybe if Pogba himself hadn't also gone public. You are entitled to your opinion, though, so we can agree to disagree.
No problem with disagreeing indeed. I just wanna say that any player wanting to leave is fine by me. Careers are short, everyone is out for his own best interest

DoomSlayer

I dont get it.

You said that you love Ole and that you gladly think he should praise Pogba, but you had a problem with the saying "like a new signing, wich is fare. Different strokes and all that.

But then the praising is ass-licking?
It's not the praising part that makes it so, it's going over the top and saying "it's like a new world class signing before the windows opens".

A more balanced approach would make it a lot more sensible and also it puts less pressure on the player and the club. Watch what happens when Pogba is back and we will talk again about this subject.

Ban

Because it baffles me how you haven't noticed Pogba is very much hated by part of the fans. I'm not talking about dislike but real hardcore hatred to the point of imagining scenarios of him faking his injuries to miss games for his transfer in January.
Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Dislike maybe but to throw a hate word around is too much imo.

kouroux

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Dislike maybe but to throw a hate word around is too much imo.
Honestly, you haven't been paying attention. There are many cheap shots, insults, insinuations thrown at him in various threads. There is real hatred against Pogba

Stadjer

Hate is a big and overused word. Disagree with something and you are a 'hater' or have 'an agenda'

However Martial is dislike by quite a few but with Pogba it is more. He isnt just disliked. The stuff people come up with to discredit him is insane. For example compare the reaction to Pogba missing a penalty (that he earned himself) or to Rashford missing a penalty.

Last season that matchfan who was shouting at Ole to get Pogba out of the club but who doesnt say anything about getting an AM without goals or assists for almost a year out of the club.

Pogba his stats from last season dont count because they involved penalties.

Pogba is faking injuries but all other players who are injured are never doubted (like it should be)

Pogba is not just disliked but more... hate might be closer than just 'disliked'.

BootsyCollins

It's not the praising part that makes it so, it's going over the top and saying "it's like a new world class signing before the windows opens".

A more balanced approach would make it a lot more sensible and also it puts less pressure on the player and the club. Watch what happens when Pogba is back and we will talk again about this subject.
Ok, fair enough.

Judas

Open to offers
I've never known a Utd player to be as disliked to the level of Pogba, and so much of it is completely in the heads of the angry mob, and completely their own fault.

It's exhausting talking about him because of the level of anger people have towards him.

Ban

Honestly, you haven't been paying attention. There are many cheap shots, insults, insinuations thrown at him in various threads. There is real hatred against Pogba
What insults, any examples? Genuine question, maybe I'm not very well informed.

jackal&hyde

I don't know about that. At some point maybe, but as soon as Mou labeled Pogba as a virus some people went insane with the things they would say about him, not just as a player but as a person. Considering that all of the managers that had first hand experience with the player (including SAF) have nothing but good things to say, i would say that some people actually hate him, have an agenda so to speak.

He made his injury worse by running like a mad man in the closing minutes of his most recent game and people think he doesn't care...like wtf is that if not just blind hatred. Had his best season ever in terms of productivity last season and people call him crap; was an integral part of the France WC winning squad (as described by our resident French supporters) but some say he was not important or not very good. These are things that go beyond likes and dislikes, this is blind hatred.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
No way that the agent would go that far in his statements without his client approving or they didn't discuss it before. That's just not the way it works. Sneaking, having some kind of chats with other clubs (like when Pep said that Pogba was offered to him by Raiola) maybe and very likely, but talking explicitly like that in a public is a totally different thing.

Now, maybe he put the pressure on the club regarding money as JP mentioned (a lot of players and agents are doing that), maybe he changed his mind afterward, but that's another thing.

As for his returning, happy to hear. If he can get to his best quickly and can stay healthy until the end of the season it is truly like a new signing, especially with the way our midfield looks. It is not just cliché, it is a pretty fitting statement considering the state of our team.

Ban

He's literally called a virus at every turn, I'd personally count that as an insult.
Would you say some posters hated Jose too? Cause he's been called a cancer. And at every turn? That much? I don't think so. I may be wrong of course.

Ban

I don't know about that. At some point maybe, but as soon as Mou labeled Pogba as a virus some people went insane with the things they would say about him, not just as a player but as a person. Considering that all of the managers that had first hand experience with the player (including SAF) have nothing but good things to say, i would say that some people actually hate him, have an agenda so to speak.

He made his injury worse by running like a mad man in the closing minutes of his most recent game and people think he doesn't care...like wtf is that if not just blind hatred. Had his best season ever in terms of productivity last season and people call him crap; was an integral part of the France WC winning squad (as described by our resident French supporters) but some say he was not important or not very good. These are things that go beyond likes and dislikes, this is blind hatred.
Calling him a virus is hatred cut calling every criticism hatred is just plain wrong. I think he doesn't care that much but I don't hate the guy. He was an important part of the French team but not the best player or a star imo. And I don't remember him running like a mad man against Rochdale. All that is valid criticism. It's a bit silly to look everything about him so black and white. From both sides of an argument.
He'll be a footnote in the clubs history, yet some treat him like someone who's exit will mark the end of the club.

AFC NimbleThumb

Come on, you have to be kidding. Pogba is playing in dysfunctional team and coached by average manager. Pogba at the WC was totally different player.

Madison is playing in a very cohesive unit playing as a team, put him in this United side and he will be average as it gets.
Don’t waste your energy.

When this thread derides to a debate about who the better player is between Pogba & Maddison you know it’s reached a point of ludicrous that is difficult to return from.

The word plastics is being handed around this place with vigour recently; I wonder what having such a distain for your own player would categories a fan as. Never seen anything like it.

@kouroux , irrational hatred is exactly what Oogba draws from many. You’re bang on.

OL29

Calling him a virus is hatred cut calling every criticism hatred is just plain wrong. I think he doesn't care that much but I don't hate the guy. He was an important part of the French team but not the best player or a star imo. And I don't remember him running like a mad man against Rochdale. All that is valid criticism. It's a bit silly to look everything about him so black and white. From both sides of an argument.
He'll be a footnote in the clubs history, yet some treat him like someone who's exit will mark the end of the club.
I don’t think anyone’s saying that criticism isn’t valid but you can’t tell me you don’t see that it goes far beyond that with Pogba? The abuse is so personal that it’s definitely verging on hate, he was even booed and abused at old Trafford, something that rarely happens at united, of course he’s hated.

kouroux

I never said every criticism he receives is based on hatred. As long as it's done fairly and sensibly then there is no issue at all

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not stating he's faking an injury, but I absolutely doubt his commitment to our club. He's left us before, and he went public with his desire to leave during the summer. He also had his agent make it clear to everyone at the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48887835
This all happened because of that idiotic fan that stood up and booed him right to his face. the TEAM lost to Cardiff, but they made the stick personal to Pogba.

Evra himself stated that Pogba was very upset with how the fans treated him at that point, especially as he was coming off his best season for the club.

At that point he was clearly fed up and probably did have feelings that he might want to move on - Ole talked to him and convinced him things would improve and he stayed.

From that point we saw a reinvigorated Pogba, somebody who's been working much harder this season. NOBODY can say he's been lazy or looking not bothered in any of our matches so far.

Yes this injury has been very frustrating for the fans, for Ole, for Pogba - but all these silly rumours don't match with what we get told by the club or the insiders.

Ole has never once said a bad word about Pogba, he's always said he's very professional. I prefer to believe that than some twitter rumours.

jackal&hyde

"Calling him a virus is hatred cut calling every criticism hatred is just plain wrong. I think he doesn't care that much but I don't hate the guy."
Why do you think he doesn't care then? Give some examples because this is a major insult for a player that is payed to "care" and do his best. What in his game has made you think he doesn't care? He had his personal best ever season last, so what more can he do?

"He was an important part of the French team but not the best player or a star imo."
Ask the French supporters how they value Pogbas contribution then. They are the ones that will give the most honest answers because they lived it the most and they know what he brings, United or no United. Do they want Pogba in their team?

"And I don't remember him running like a mad man against Rochdale."
If you don't remember then rewatch the game. He was injured and made crazy runs in to the box and barley was able to walk after. Had he not been so desperate of making an impact and winning he might not have made that injury worse and we would have benefited from that.

EDIT: i appreciate anyone reading this post because it looks like a total mess. I really need to learn to quote better.

Last edited:

kouroux

No way that the agent would go that far in his statements without his client approving or they didn't discuss it before. That's just not the way it works. Sneaking, having some kind of chats with other clubs (like when Pep said that Pogba was offered to him by Raiola) maybe and very likely, but talking explicitly like that in a public is a totally different thing.
It can happen if football agents say it happens

The Bloody-Nine

This all happened because of that idiotic fan that stood up and booed him right to his face. the TEAM lost to Cardiff, but they made the stick personal to Pogba.

Evra himself stated that Pogba was very upset with how the fans treated him at that point, especially as he was coming off his best season for the club.

At that point he was clearly fed up and probably did have feelings that he might want to move on - Ole talked to him and convinced him things would improve and he stayed.

From that point we saw a reinvigorated Pogba, somebody who's been working much harder this season. NOBODY can say he's been lazy or looking not bothered in any of our matches so far.

Yes this injury has been very frustrating for the fans, for Ole, for Pogba - but all these silly rumours don't match with what we get told by the club or the insiders.

Ole has never once said a bad word about Pogba, he's always said he's very professional. I prefer to believe that than some twitter rumours.
I didn't post any rumours. Pogba went public with his desire for a new challenge, and his agent told everyone at the club that he wanted to leave.

Frankly, if a single fan booing a player is enough to make him want to leave our club he can f*ck off. Thankfully, I don't believe your theory.

Ban

"Calling him a virus is hatred cut calling every criticism hatred is just plain wrong. I think he doesn't care that much but I don't hate the guy."
Why do you think he doesn't care then? Give some examples because this is a major insult for a player that is payed to "care" and do his best. What in his game has made you think he doesn't care? He had his personal best ever season last, so what more can he do?
"He was an important part of the French team but not the best player or a star imo."
Ask the French supporters how they value Pogbas contribution then. They are the ones that will give the most honest answers because they lived it the most and they know what he brings, United or no United. Do they want Pogba in their team?
"And I don't remember him running like a mad man against Rochdale."
If you don't remember then rewatch the game. He was injured and made crazy runs in to the box and barley was able to walk after. Had he not been so desperate of making an impact and winning he might not have made that injury worse and we would have benefited from that.
He just cruises through games many times. And his heart isn't in it. For a while not. It's just my opinion and don't make such a huge deal out of it calling it a major insult. What the he cares to play part means anyway?
Not to mention his agent offered him around as early as 18 months into his contract.
I don't have to ask French supporters to tell me what I saw or didn't see while watching world cup games.
Sure, I'll rewatch it.. Guys like you are the other side of the coin to the ones who call him a virus. In your eyes he can do no wrong.