Is Pogba as good as gone?

Thepinhead

So we are paying his wages even if he does not play.

His value will drop the more we do not play him.
Honestly I don't care. It is about setting an example that we won't get bullied by players and agents. Pogbas career is most likely over in 5 years time and his peak is the next 3 years, but United are here for many years. However, the best solution is ofcourse that we find a way to solve this so everyone is satisfied.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
We've come 6th twice with Pogba playing most weeks for us. We aren't doing any worse without him are we? Currently 3pts off 4th and he's barely played this season.

I think this highlights just the lack of impact he's actually had. If anything now we have Bruno in the team.....we miss McSauce more than Pogba now. That says everything.

Time to get rid in the summer. Let the dabbing prat take his Raiola circus elsewhere.
Well said, mate!

I understand some people may argue that we would have already been in the top 4 with a fully fit Pogba this season but that is debatable. A lot of times he was a liability on the pitch in the past couple seasons when he was just walking around the pitch and not backtracking fast enough on counter-attacks.

With Fred and McTom, we at least have two players who we know are more hardworking than Pogba. If anything, I missed McTom way more than Pogba this season whenever he was injured and I am excited to see how he does when he is back with Fred & Bruno with him.

This season we were and will continue to, be able to portray how our midfield could perform on a long term basis without Pogba in it. For me, this was a blessing in disguise in some ways because whenever Pogba was fit he was obviously given more preference than other players in the past. And fairly so because obviously we did not have a genuine replacement for him in terms of quality and service. But now with Bruno in, I would argue that we have a better replacement/alternate for Pogba and don't have to settle for players like Pereira, Mata, Lingard, etc to play alongside Fred & McTom on a regular basis.
Hence, we will not miss Pogba as dearly as we may have in the past. Going forward it will not be that convenient for him to just walk back into the team and take up someone else's spot as easily as he has done in the past.
Especially if McTom, Fred & Bruno can build a good chemistry in the near future.

To summarize, my view on this Pogba situation is that he needs to go and fairly soon in my opinion. With funds from his transfer, we can continue to shape our squad without him and buy backups/replacements for Fred, McTom & Bruno due to a big load of games. I would be excited if we could sign either of Grealish/Maddison and go all out for a young right winger like Sancho. I would also keep Matic for another season and let Pereira play cup games and maybe he will improve more with age and better players around him as well.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
That's just not how it works though and is a very simple way to look at it. The circumstances by season are completely different. Rashford and Martial have scored more this season and is making up for the lack of Pogba in the team (to the degree of maintaining previous levels) but he covered for their lack of output previously. Has Rashford and Martial stepped up previously then we likely would have finished higher in those seasons as well.

I'm absolutely confident that had we had Pogba available for even 50% of the time he has been out, that we would have had better results in that period and therefore be better off now.

Then you account for other teams form which helps form the table and simply saying we finished 6th with Pogba and are there without him means he has no impact just doesn't work.
Rightly so my friend. Even I believe that if Pogba was fit for even half the games he has missed, we would have had better results for sure. However now that we have Bruno in, and if we can sign a couple more midfielders, I believe that our team would be much better off without Pogba due to the baggage he brings with him.

He also takes up a huge spot in our team and wage bill which has been a reason why we may have not been able to afford signings sooner because we kept hoping Pogba will fill the void but let's be honest, his injuries are not rare or infrequent. In all fairness he has missed a few months every year he has been with us and that makes him a liability in my opinion. He is a spoilt player with a loud-mouthed agent and this can also be very detrimental for the squad and the changing room. We will have a tough time building chemistry and cohesion amongst the players if they can see what influences a high paid player like Pogba who does not even play as much as them, can have on the club.

Last edited:

Stadjer

Just sounds like excuses. He's ran out of good faith now, for me has anyway. Sick of him and his agent. MUFC > Pogba
You are doing the exact same as you did in the post where @Fox outside the box replied to. A very simple way of looking at something. The poster makes some very good and valid points and you qualify them as excuses because it doesnt fit what you want. You want Pogba out of the club so you will use the stat of 3pts of 4th but wont mention it is also 3pts of 10th. With Pogba Manchester United never ended 10th so if you look at it that also very simple way he is missed a lot.

How you can say ''lack of impact'' really does puzzle me. Pogba was literally top in every stat last last season. Goals, assists, key passes.. whatever way there is to measure impact, Pogba was top of the list. Even during a season where he has hardly played he is still amongst the best players when it comes to creating chances. Not per minute but in total. How that qualifies as a lack of impact... i dont know.

It is fine that you want Pogba gone because you think it is good for Manchester United to get rid of their best and most talented player. That is your opinion, pretending like Pogba isnt a good player or that he didnt have any impact or downplay his impact is just not supported by any facts. You miss McT more than Pogba, i dont think anyone in the world would choose a pretty average player (certainly when compared to Pogba) like McT over Pogba when they arent part of the ''Pogba out'' group.

I think it is fair to asume that Manchester United would be higher on the table if Pogba had been fit the whole season. The main problem is creating chances for the strikers. I dont think many midfielders in the world are better at creating chances than Paul Pogba. He can create a chance out of nothing. Even during a bad game he will most likely still create atleast one chance.

tjb

Well said, mate!

I understand some people may argue that we would have already been in the top 4 with a fully fit Pogba this season but that is debatable. A lot of times he was a liability on the pitch in the past couple seasons when he was just walking around the pitch and not backtracking fast enough on counter-attacks.

With Fred and McTom, we at least have two players who we know are more hardworking than Pogba. If anything, I missed McTom way more than Pogba this season whenever he was injured and I am excited to see how he does when he is back with Fred & Bruno with him.

This season we were and will continue to, be able to portray how our midfield could perform on a long term basis without Pogba in it. For me, this was a blessing in disguise in some ways because whenever Pogba was fit he was obviously given more preference than other players in the past. And fairly so because obviously we did not have a genuine replacement for him in terms of quality and service. But now with Bruno in, I would argue that we have a better replacement/alternate for Pogba and don't have to settle for players like Pereira, Mata, Lingard, etc to play alongside Fred & McTom on a regular basis.
Hence, we will not miss Pogba as dearly as we may have in the past. Going forward it will not be that convenient for him to just walk back into the team and take up someone else's spot as easily as he has done in the past.
Especially if McTom, Fred & Bruno can build a good chemistry in the near future.

To summarize, my view on this Pogba situation is that he needs to go and fairly soon in my opinion. With funds from his transfer, we can continue to shape our squad without him and buy backups/replacements for Fred, McTom & Bruno due to a big load of games. I would be excited if we could sign either of Grealish/Maddison and go all out for a young right winger like Sancho. I would also keep Matic for another season and let Pereira play cup games and maybe he will improve more with age and better players around him as well.
It's a massive lesson for the club in so many ways. We have never had to deal with agents in this way before and this may have been the reason why Fergie avoided a lot of players at the tail end of his career. The truth about Pogba is, he was a bit of an anomoly prior to us signing him. His role and the way he played was different to anything we have seen in England. Despite the clear evidence of the Euro 2016 campaign he had for France, his defensive capabilities and the potential he had to develop them were overstated by people simply looking at his size. His influence at Juventus in midfield was also overstated, he was not as involved in the build up, particularly in his last season, as you would expect from a midfielder. We bought him with the notion that we could use him in a different way, yet what became clear even from game one was that he was not suited to a central midfield role in the english game. It's the first time that we are truly dealing with the reality that not every player wants to play and stay with us. Fergie protected us from having to deal with these type of players by purchasing players based on their character and drive. Not signing simply any player with skill, but players who could give us something consistently useful to the team and who had the right attitude and mindset to keep playing for the club.

tjb

You are doing the exact same as you did in the post where @Fox outside the box replied to. A very simple way of looking at something. The poster makes some very good and valid points and you qualify them as excuses because it doesnt fit what you want. You want Pogba out of the club so you will use the stat of 3pts of 4th but wont mention it is also 3pts of 10th. With Pogba Manchester United never ended 10th so if you look at it that also very simple way he is missed a lot.

How you can say ''lack of impact'' really does puzzle me. Pogba was literally top in every stat last last season. Goals, assists, key passes.. whatever way there is to measure impact, Pogba was top of the list. Even during a season where he has hardly played he is still amongst the best players when it comes to creating chances. Not per minute but in total. How that qualifies as a lack of impact... i dont know.

It is fine that you want Pogba gone because you think it is good for Manchester United to get rid of their best and most talented player. That is your opinion, pretending like Pogba isnt a good player or that he didnt have any impact or downplay his impact is just not supported by any facts. You miss McT more than Pogba, i dont think anyone in the world would choose a pretty average player (certainly when compared to Pogba) like McT over Pogba when they arent part of the ''Pogba out'' group.

I think it is fair to asume that Manchester United would be higher on the table if Pogba had been fit the whole season. The main problem is creating chances for the strikers. I dont think many midfielders in the world are better at creating chances than Paul Pogba. He can create a chance out of nothing. Even during a bad game he will most likely still create atleast one chance.
How can you say these are not excuses? He was still a member of the teams that were placing 6th in the league. In addition to that, he has not been faultless in his tenure with the team. He has consistently shown himself to be a lousy defensive contributor in midfield. He has not shown consistency in games and does not have the consistent creative impact of some of the players he is compared to in the league. Remember that he is paid really high wages at the moment and keeping him would require us to offer a new contract that he would not have earned based on performances. The question isn't whether Pogba is a good player, it's about whether he is worth keeping. This man and his agent has been at cold war with the club since February 2018. Essentially since the halfway mark of his second season of his 4+1 year contract. His disruption caused Mourinho to call him a virus and was clearly a major source of the division in the dressing room at the time. As for the argument for McTominay over Pogba. This isn't about skill. It's about product. McTominay offers the drive and ball winning we need in midfield and given the we have Bruno as a new source of creativity, I can understand how someone could come to that conclusion.

Also consider how many injuries Pogba has had since he came, particularly in the past 3 seasons. If he is not purposely delaying his returns from injury, one could insinuate that he's a bit of a crock.

caid

I think we'd be crazy to offer a new contract while Riaola is around, any negotiations have to be done on the basis he replaces his agent. I'd try and sell him this summer and get our money back. If the choice is between taking 50m or holding on to him for another year, i'd keep him, gamble on him having to cop on to have a career and dump him in the reserves if he doesn't act vaguely professionally. Sell him in the winter window as a worst case scenario.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That's just not how it works though and is a very simple way to look at it. The circumstances by season are completely different. Rashford and Martial have scored more this season and is making up for the lack of Pogba in the team (to the degree of maintaining previous levels) but he covered for their lack of output previously. Has Rashford and Martial stepped up previously then we likely would have finished higher in those seasons as well.

I'm absolutely confident that had we had Pogba available for even 50% of the time he has been out, that we would have had better results in that period and therefore be better off now.

Then you account for other teams form which helps form the table and simply saying we finished 6th with Pogba and are there without him means he has no impact just doesn't work.
Go watch our games, he goes missing in most of them. His consistency is utter shit and he's a big reason why we're so bad. Our 'best' player is crap more than half the season Everytime.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Go watch our games, he goes missing in most of them. His consistency is utter shit and he's a big reason why we're so bad. Our 'best' player is crap more than half the season Everytime.
Exactly. He's been a flop and his fanboys just don't want to admit it.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
It's a massive lesson for the club in so many ways. We have never had to deal with agents in this way before and this may have been the reason why Fergie avoided a lot of players at the tail end of his career. The truth about Pogba is, he was a bit of an anomoly prior to us signing him. His role and the way he played was different to anything we have seen in England. Despite the clear evidence of the Euro 2016 campaign he had for France, his defensive capabilities and the potential he had to develop them were overstated by people simply looking at his size. His influence at Juventus in midfield was also overstated, he was not as involved in the build up, particularly in his last season, as you would expect from a midfielder. We bought him with the notion that we could use him in a different way, yet what became clear even from game one was that he was not suited to a central midfield role in the english game. It's the first time that we are truly dealing with the reality that not every player wants to play and stay with us. Fergie protected us from having to deal with these type of players by purchasing players based on their character and drive. Not signing simply any player with skill, but players who could give us something consistently useful to the team and who had the right attitude and mindset to keep playing for the club.
I fully agree with this mate!

Even I had doubts when we signed him and at first, it was just sometimes, but with time, I started seeing it all the time that he was not suited to a Manchester United attacking style and was basically a liability on the pitch whenever we were not attacking.

Fergie did not just try to save us from his agent but there was a reason he did not integrate him into the first team as he may have initially wanted to because he may have noticed that Pogba has a style of his own and it may not have been easy to make him adapt to the style of our club wholesomely and rather only partially.

tjb

I fully agree with this mate!

Even I had doubts when we signed him and at first, it was just sometimes, but with time, I started seeing it all the time that he was not suited to a Manchester United attacking style and was basically a liability on the pitch whenever we were not attacking.

Fergie did not just try to save us from his agent but there was a reason he did not integrate him into the first team as he may have initially wanted to because he may have noticed that Pogba has a style of his own and it may not have been easy to make him adapt to the style of our club wholesomely and rather only partially.
For me personally, Pep aside, based on evidence from the most successful teams in the premier league, the key to a title challenging premier league midfield is having energetic midfielders with ball winning capabilities to some extent. Mourinho even had to push Fabregas up the pitch in big games because of how important it is to have this energy and defensive capabilities in England. Vieira and Petit/Gilberto Silva, Makalele Lampard and Tiago/Essien, Ince and Keane/Robson, Keane and Butt, Yaya and De Jong/Barry/Fernandinho. Scholes is the only player that was truly a playmaker, yet even he had a lot of defensive responsibilities ( in his later years, i feel his lack of energy was the reason Fergie started having a midfield rotation plan). Even the current Liverpool team use this format with great success. The only team to break away from this has been City, but the high work rate of their attacking midfielders and the quality of Fernandinho made up for this. Even with that, Pep's tactical brilliance as a manager allowed that innovative midfield philosophy succeed here. Ole is not Pep, even Fergie isn't Pep in terms of tactical creativity.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
For me personally, Pep aside, based on evidence from the most successful teams in the premier league, the key to a title challenging premier league midfield is having energetic midfielders with ball winning capabilities to some extent. Mourinho even had to push Fabregas up the pitch in big games because of how important it is to have this energy and defensive capabilities in England. Vieira and Petit/Gilberto Silva, Makalele Lampard and Tiago/Essien, Ince and Keane/Robson, Keane and Butt, Yaya and De Jong/Barry/Fernandinho. Scholes is the only player that was truly a playmaker, yet even he had a lot of defensive responsibilities ( in his later years, i feel his lack of energy was the reason Fergie started having a midfield rotation plan). Even the current Liverpool team use this format with great success. The only team to break away from this has been City, but the high work rate of their attacking midfielders and the quality of Fernandinho made up for this. Even with that, Pep's tactical brilliance as a manager allowed that innovative midfield philosophy succeed here. Ole is not Pep, even Fergie isn't Pep in terms of tactical creativity.
Yes agreed!

Pogba, especially in PL, needs two midfielders behind him who do all the hard work for him to shine and push forward. He does not possess the qualities of any of the midfield players that you mentioned and I would be glad to see him go.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It doesn't. I don't really where this idea come from. Signing on fees are a different conversations, that fee is negotiated separately and Raiola/Pogba would get roughly the same amount of money whether they extend at United, end up as free agents or are transferred for a world record fee. And it's generally linked to the wage package.
Didn't know that. Always thought it was percentage based.

Rolaholic

Seems to be back at Carrington today after Ole said he'd be back trainig this week after the Chelsea match

Yakuza_devils

Pogba is one of my favourite players. On his day, he is world class.

Having said that, I think it's time for him to go. Raoila and him are trying desperately to engineer a move away from the club for quite sometime already. These two are just after money and nothing else. Never seen such disrespectful agent toward the biggest club in the world.

However, we must not play into Roaila's hands and must not allow Pogba to leave on the cheap.

We must plan beyond Pogba this summer with players that will give 110% to the club like Sancho and Grealish.

The midfield of Fred, McT, Sancho, Grealish are better than half arsed Pogba.

Lee565

Cant help but feel that pogba enjoys all this drama created by rioala.

Pogba has an ego and enjoys being in the limelight, all this drama keeps pogba his high profile status relevant whilst he has been away from the pitch and out injured for basically the whole season.

RUCK4444

What’s the situation with his contract, don’t we have an option to trigger another year?

If we do then we should and let fat boy know it’s not as easy as him shouting his mouth off and engineering a move.

The injury has fecked his plans if he does want to move, we won’t receive bids near what we want.

I hope he stays and extends because as this squad improves and the players around him improve then that’s when we will see the best of Pogba.
He’s an icing on the cake type of player, throw him into a top side and he will be unplayable.

cyril C

What’s the situation with his contract, don’t we have an option to trigger another year?

If we do then we should and let fat boy know it’s not as easy as him shouting his mouth off and engineering a move.

The injury has fecked his plans if he does want to move, we won’t receive bids near what we want.

I hope he stays and extends because as this squad improves and the players around him improve then that’s when we will see the best of Pogba.
He’s an icing on the cake type of player, throw him into a top side and he will be unplayable.
It is 1 + 1. We have option to trigger extension. The problem is Pogba himself, he doesn't want to play, and he starts causing problem inside the dressing room as well . Did you notice how Erikson perform in Spurs this season? When someone doesn't want to stay, sell him ASAP. Ramsey is 1 of a million I think, who perform for the fans to the last minute.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sell him after the Euro's when his stocks are highest. It's not in the interest of the club or player to hold a player against his wishes.

Shark

@NotShark
Yes agreed!

Pogba, especially in PL, needs two midfielders behind him who do all the hard work for him to shine and push forward. He does not possess the qualities of any of the midfield players that you mentioned and I would be glad to see him go.
Pogba is clearly an important cog in a well oiled machine, rather than a player that’s going to drag you to major trophies and higher positions on the table. What we need in this team right now are genuine match winners and leaders. Rashford is definitely shaping up to be one and Bruno already looks set to be a pretty decisive player. You look at any thriving team around Europe and our teams under SAF and they’re littered with match winners. Pogba just isn’t that, for all his hype.

Denis79

What s next? Should we ask him and Mino to select our new manager?

These are all excuses. The cnut wants out but doesn't want to hand in a transfer request.
Pretty sure the article is BS and Pogba wants out no matter who the manager is. Raiola is just being being a good agent and doing what his player is telling him to do, creating an unbearable situation for the club while Pogba keeps his hands clean, just incase no one buys him.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Pogba is clearly an important cog in a well oiled machine, rather than a player that’s going to drag you to major trophies and higher positions on the table. What we need in this team right now are genuine match winners and leaders. Rashford is definitely shaping up to be one and Bruno already looks set to be a pretty decisive player. You look at any thriving team around Europe and our teams under SAF and they’re littered with match winners. Pogba just isn’t that, for all his hype.
Well said! He isn’t right for this team in its current state.

roseguy64

Never really cared about Pogba's situation. My reasoning has always been that if he wants to stay, let him stay. If he wants to leave, let him leave. End of story. Who actually has the energy to give a crap about this? It has been given way too much attention.
Some people take this far too seriously. Hilarious to see.

crossy1686

career ending
So he's faked the surgery just to fool you and everybody else huh?
No, he went for surgery because it was a convenient time for him to do so.

Athletes aren't like normal people, most of the time, a fair amount of them are carrying some 'injury' that isn't debilitating but will need surgery at some point to correct it, it's the nature of pushing yourself to your limit daily.

Rashford has been playing with a floating bone in his ankle, probably needs surgery on it, Smalling was playing through injury for Mourinho. John Terry spoke at length about how he put off ankle surgery for years before finally getting it done one summer.

What I'm saying is Pogba could have waited to have surgery for a time that was more convenient for Manchester United but that would have meant he missed the Euro's or he wouldn't be at his best for his new club when he joins them.

If he needed surgery so badly then why did he come back and play a couple of games? Did his personal medical staff not think he needed injury before he played 70 minutes of football?

Keep lying to yourself if it makes you feel any better.

roseguy64

Athletes aren't like normal people, most of the time, a fair amount of them are carrying some 'injury' that isn't debilitating but will need surgery at some point to correct it, it's the nature of pushing yourself to your limit daily.

Rashford has been playing with a floating bone in his ankle, probably needs surgery on it, Smalling was playing through injury for Mourinho. John Terry spoke at length about how he put off ankle surgery for years before finally getting it done one summer.

What I'm saying is Pogba could have waited to have surgery for a time that was more convenient for Manchester United but that would have meant he missed the Euro's or he wouldn't be at his best for his new club when he joins them.

If he needed surgery so badly then why did he come back and play a couple of games? Did his personal medical staff not think he needed injury before he played 70 minutes of football?

I will thanks

TheRedHearted

Scenario
Juventus and Real Madrid get knocked out of the CL this round and start a bidding war for Pogba. We get the equivalent of the 150 (or more!)

Last edited:

Teja

Man that Madrid midfield is shit, they could definitely do with someone like Pogba who brings the pace and physicality there and they're probably the only club who'll pay fair value for him (120M+). I don't know how well

-------- Casemiro --------
---- Kroos --- Pogba ---

Will work though.

The question if they'll prioritize someone like Mbappe or Neymar over a midfielder.

MrBest

Bottom line for me is Pogba is a brilliant player, but for United he has been mostly average. Yes there has been times where he has shone but during his time in Manchester, there has been more talk about his future, his agent and his attitude rather than his performance. Most say he came back to United because he loves the club and was sold the dream, i don't disagree. But very quickly his head turned and has been waiting for someone to knock on the door to take him away. Even if we got 100m pounds for him, it would be a good deal as long as all of that is reinvested. We could probably say he is worth 150m pounds but the way I see it, the sooner he leaves the better it will be for the club. The players appear to love him but his attitude can be infectious so if he really wants to leave, let him. Being absolutely frank, i understand why he wants to leave. He is a world cup winner, in his prime years, why would he want to waste his time at a club in continuous transition? We forget as fans that the career span of a footballer is up to 25 years with most only seeing 10 years of peak performance. Pogba probably has another 5 or 6 left before he starts to decline, a player of his ability should be winning titles not fighting for 6th. Use the money on Grealish and another and the remainder of our budget on Sancho and another. Surely 4 new additions will outweigh his loss. Liverpool did it with Countiho and Spurs with Bale. Why we don't look long term baffles me. I may have shot myself in the foot if that was the intention with Bruno but only time will tell.

TheRedHearted

Man that Madrid midfield is shit, they could definitely do with someone like Pogba who brings the pace and physicality there and they're probably the only club who'll pay fair value for him (120M+). I don't know how well

-------- Casemiro --------
---- Kroos --- Pogba ---

Will work though.

The question if they'll prioritize someone like Mbappe or Neymar over a midfielder.
Seems like they need both. They have Hazard for the left so Neymar wouldn’t make much sense

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Rashford playing with an injury was a good thing? Ludicrous. Pogba could have waited to have surgery for a time that was more convenient like Rashford? Huh? All matches count the same on the table. It doesn't matter if he flipped the time, he still would have missed the same length of time.

Tony247

His surgery is no longer an issue, its done. What baffling is him not ready to play still, forget play, not even train with the squad?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only scenario he stays is where nobody else is actually willing to spend big on him. I used to believe that Paul should be kept unless an enormous offer comes our way. But now it's evident that he wants out and his team is throwing a hissy fit at us taking a strong stance wrt to him. So yeah, it's best that he's sold. The best thing for us would be to get a solid fee, and spend it excellently.

jackal&hyde

His surgery is no longer an issue, its done. What baffling is him not ready to play still, forget play, not even train with the squad?
How do you know the state of his injury? He seems to be in rehabilitation doing basic strength training and swimming pool work.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Watching Madrid last night, they basically have no midfield. They might be stupid enough to pay big money for Pogba.

I know Fergie said he wouldn’t sell them a virus but maybe now it’s time to change that.....?