Is Pogba as good as gone?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To be fair Pogba never also benefited from the general improvement of the team either. This season McT, Fred have improved a lot, Maguire has helped, Bissaka the same and Martial too.
Pogba hasn't played in our improved team so to directly compare him like that with Bruno (who has been awesome) is stupid for me. The context has to be analyzed too
In many many games he was outperformed by other players, even the likes of Mctominay and Herrera of last year outperformed Pogba in many periods of the season. Pogba had many bad games even when the team was playing well at some points of the season. Let's see if Bruno can keep up with good games because that was Pogba's biggest problem, probably for every great game he had at least 2 poor games.

Even during his last "great" period, which happened when Ole arrived, he was really good just for few games and was really average for couple of other games and completely shite for the rest of the season when many outperformed him, and for some reason people still kept blaming other players for Pogba's form and lack of success at United.

Big games are really the only needed argument for Pogba's time here, he looked lost in majority of them and generally underperforming in those games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To be fair Pogba never also benefited from the general improvement of the team either. This season McT, Fred have improved a lot, Maguire has helped, Bissaka the same and Martial too.
Pogba hasn't played in our improved team so to directly compare him like that with Bruno (who has been awesome) is stupid for me. The context has to be analyzed too
Yes another excuse for poor Paul. At least its a new and original one so well done for that.

We should have a new thread listing all the unfortunate circumstances and excuses that exist for Paul Pogba being dogshite for Manchester United.

The only context is that Pogba was bought to improve the team, not for the team to improve Pogba.

Yagami

Good post resistant
In the end what matters is that Bruno's transition has been amazing
I completely agree.

I expressed my concerns about the Bruno signing but I've been more than happy so far. I hope he keeps shutting me up!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes another excuse for poor Paul. At least its a new and original one so well done for that.

We should have a new thread listing all the unfortunate circumstances and excuses that exist fr Paul Pogba being dogshite for Manchester United.

The only context is that Pogba was bought to improve the team, not for the team to improve Pogba.
Not you again :lol: I don't have the strength for you, context is lost on you as always

kouroux

In many many games he was outperformed by other players, even the likes of Mctominay and Herrera of last year outperformed Pogba in many periods of the season. Pogba had many bad games even when the team was playing well at some points of the season. Let's see if Bruno can keep up with good games because that was Pogba's biggest problem, probably for every great game he had at least 2 poor games.

Even during his last "great" period, which happened when Ole arrived, he was really good just for few games and was really average for couple of other games and completely shite for the rest of the season when many outperformed him, and for some reason people still kept blaming other players for Pogba's form and lack of success at United.

Big games are really the only needed argument for Pogba's time here, he looked lost in majority of them and generally underperforming in those games.
I agree with most of that. If Bruno is better on the long term then great for us, all I am saying is that it's a little too early to make a conclusion.
Let's remember how great Pogba looked in his first few months or last season for a few weeks.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I know it's easy to draw that kinda after how many games for Bruno ? Plus the quality of opposition has to be taken into account. I think it's natural to think like that, Pogba has become a non entity this season and Bruno is fresh in our minds. All I'm saying is that it's way too early to draw your kinda conclusions.
@Yagami said it well, Pogba also had some great games against better opposition even.
In the end what matters is that Bruno's transition has been amazing
It’s not just because it’s fresh in my mind though. Pogba has played plenty of teams of this calibre too.

Again, I like Pogba, but he was expected to have this kind of influence on games whether he’s in a slightly different position or not, and (in my opinion) never really has, so the amount of games doesn’t really matter. I know I feel much more positive having Bruno on the field already than I ever have about Pogba being on there, and it’s not because of some hatred.

But yes, Bruno has been great. Let’s hope Pogba stays around long enough to see what they can do together.

kouroux

I completely agree.

I expressed my concerns about the Bruno signing but I've been more than happy so far. I hope he keeps shutting me up!
I wanted him since the summer so it's been amazing. I personnally think we should now sell our more marketable players and look to improve our team with players who are on the same wavelength technically speaking

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I understand why people don’t like Pogba and might want him gone but let’s not pretend like he’s not a great player. It’s just silly.
He underperformed for majority of time here, and was far from some great player during his time here. He was no Scholes, Keane, or even Rooney, Ronaldo, and not even top form Carrick level by any means. Many are trying to portray that he was.

He could have been great player for Juve or France but he definitely wasn't for us for one single season. Being great for few games a season hardly makes him a great player here.

kouroux

It’s not just because it’s fresh in my mind though. Pogba has played plenty of teams of this calibre too.

Again, I like Pogba, but he was expected to have this kind of influence on games whether he’s in a slightly different position or not, and (in my opinion) never really has, so the amount of games doesn’t really matter. I know I feel much more positive having Bruno on the field already than I ever have about Pogba being on there, and it’s not because of some hatred.

But yes, Bruno has been great. Let’s hope Pogba stays around long enough to see em together.
Considering how long he's been here (save this ghost season), I struggle to understand how you cannot remember of similar or even better performances against better teams.
Unlike you though, I don't want Pogba to stay anymore :lol: so it makes our discussion weird

Yagami

Good post resistant
He underperformed for majority of time here, and was far from some great player during his time here. He was no Scholes, Keane, or even Rooney, Ronaldo, and not even top form Carrick level by any means. Many are trying to portray that he was.

He could have been great player for Juve or France but he definitely wasn't for us for one single season. Being great for few games a season hardly make him a great player here.
I don't think anyone will say that Pogba's been as good as any of them.

I don't think anyone would consider his time here a success at all in fact.

That doesn't mean you have to be negative about his entire time here, though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

He could have been great player for Juve or France but he definitely wasn't for us for one single season. Being great for few games a season hardly makes him a great player here.
You’ve just named some of the best players the club has had, who played in successful and great teams. Of course he’s not hit those heights.

Pogba has been inconsistent and at times frustrating, but he’s had plenty of ups as well and there’s just no point making out like he’s crap and no loss if he does leave, which plenty are trying to do.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I agree with most of that. If Bruno is better on the long term then great for us, all I am saying is that it's a little too early to make a conclusion.
Let's remember how great Pogba looked in his first few months or last season for a few weeks.
Of course, we agree regarding Bruno, I just think you are just being unfair on other players when you say Pogba underperformed because of them.

kouroux

Of course, we agree regarding Bruno, I just think you are just being unfair on other players when you say Pogba underperformed because of them.
That's not what I meant in its entirety.
Let me make it complete, it played a role in him underperforming just like him underperforming impacted them.
All I know for sure, Fred is better now, McT is better, Maguire/Bissaka have improved us, Martial has improved.
It's not a wild guess to think that Pogba would have looked better this season if he was fit. While not being good enough himself in many games, too much was still expected of him.
It's always been about giving a fair context to each situations

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Who needs Pogba when we have Bruno? Guy has barely been with the club and has made arguably a better impact than Pogba.

cyberman

Bruno actually had a position anf can play as a ten. Thats what we desperately needed.
Pogba does have this problem of needing the side built perfectly around him. Pogba would go large stretches of poor form with fans blaming his teammates but Bruno seems to be ok?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Bruno is having the impact I thought Pogba would have, shame as I was like a giddy kid when Pogba came back, it just hasnt worked out for him, that coupled with his agents constant bad mouthing of the club means I wont be sad to see him go.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I don't think anyone will say that Pogba's been as good as any of them.

I don't think anyone would consider his time here a success at all in fact.

That doesn't mean you have to be negative about his entire time here, though.
Negativity is always bad, but I don't see why people aren't allowed to be negative about his time here. He was earning as one of the best players in the world, we paid record fee for him, and he underperformed, he isn't playing for 5 or so months while we are struggling. and now he wants to leave. There is not too much to be positive around tbf. He is our biggest star in one of our worst periods in past 20 years, of course he was always going to be criticised.

You’ve just named some of the best players the club has had, who played in successful and great teams. Of course he’s not hit those heights.

Pogba has been inconsistent and at times frustrating, but he’s had plenty of ups as well and there’s just no point making out like he’s crap and no loss if he does leave, which plenty are trying to do.
Well Carrick wasn't greatest player you'll ever see but he was single handedly keeping our midfield for years, I don't see why Pogba isn't expected to do similar things at least like Carrick if he can't be good as Scholes. He was literally signed for those things(attacking wise, but you know what I mean). You don't pay player 90 millions and expect him to play like Herrera or Fred.

I seriously don't see much wrong in people's frustration with Pogba. Of course people are overreacting when saying he was crap, but I generally agree that we won't miss him because we never got consistent player that everyone expect in our midfield, especially if we get a good money and buy a decent replacement in positions we lack. I mean, Henderson is still average player for me but at least Klopp knows what he gets every game from him, whether it's Watford or United they are playing and I seripusly doubt he would change him for Pogba. I am not sure our managers knew what kind of player they would get every month with Pogba. He was injured/out of form/in great form/in god mode/completely average, every once in a while. I am far from Jose's or Ole's biggest fans, but I am quite sure they both would pick this year's McTominay over Pogba's average of last 3 years.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
That's not what I meant in its entirety.
Let me make it complete, it played a role in him underperforming just like him underperforming impacted them.
All I know for sure, Fred is better now, McT is better, Maguire/Bissaka have improved us, Martial has improved.
It's not a wild guess to think that Pogba would have looked better this season if he was fit. While not being good enough himself in many games, too much was still expected of him.
It's always been about giving a fair context to each situations
Do you think that McTominay or Fred would improve this much if Pogba was here? Maybe it wouldn't happen. There were many people(me included) who saw nothing special in them.

Canagel

I think it is.

Pogba in our previous EL campaign put in a lot of these performances.

Pogba during Ole's initial winning run was our best player in every game.

Pogba, along with Martial, was almost single-handedly keeping José in the job at the end of his tenure with some of his performances.

Pogba in his first season was, along with Zlatan, our best player. The amount of sitters he created for our forwards that season was unreal. Zlatan must have missed 10+ sitters from Pogba's passes alone.
Sshh Pogba never won the EL for us..

LoneStar

Is he back anytime soon? Would love to see him and Bruno play together, even if he's leaving in the summer.

Sanchez7

Can't wait for him to return. He is a quality player and will only help us secure that 4th place spot.

kouroux

Do you think that McTominay or Fred would improve this much if Pogba was here? Maybe it wouldn't happen. There were many people(me included) who saw nothing special in them.
Yes of course, I think OGS deserves credit for their development more than Pogba being absent (McTominay was starting to show signs last season)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Perception is a dangerous thing. Less was expected of Bruno, Pogba was expected to be the next Messi. It’s been nice to see Bruno he’s terrific but no more so than Pogba.
The two need to play together.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Bruno actually had a position anf can play as a ten. Thats what we desperately needed.
Pogba does have this problem of needing the side built perfectly around him. Pogba would go large stretches of poor form with fans blaming his teammates but Bruno seems to be ok?
That's what I've been pleading for a while back. We needed a player who makes others around him better and not a player who needs better players around him. That's the difference. Peace out Pogba!

el3mel

Just sell and buy Sancho, and I'm sure we'll be more complete and far stronger with the current set of players. Pogba has no more business to do with United. Bruno-Scott-Fred is a midfield that has everything at the point, and replacing any of them with an inconsistent player who is a complete passenger off the ball is going to harm the chemistry overall.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I understand why people don’t like Pogba and might want him gone but let’s not pretend like he’s not a great player. It’s just silly.
'Great' is stretching it a bit. Technique is not enough to make a great player, you need the right mentality for that.

Dante

Average bang
He might be a twat - but he’s still a great player (when he wants to be)
It's not when he 'wants to be', but rather than when he 'is'.

If he isn't a great player for the majority of matches, that means he isn't one.

Chairman Steve

I think he’s legitimately injured, but I don’t think he’s in any rush to get back for us. There have been instances when players have been fine to play through the pain or whatever, but then take time off to have surgery just so that injury issue does get addressed and theres no long term damage. I think Keane did it in 02/03 if memory serves me correctly.

But at this point, I’m pretty indifferent to him due to how little we‘ve seen him this season and how his entourage are stirring the pot on his behalf. The only reason he’ll be playing some games for us is just for Euro 2020 fitness and if he just happens to help us get Champions League in some way, then fine I guess... but by that point, he’d have had like 15 appearances for us all season?

Eric's Seagull

I think he’s legitimately injured, but I don’t think he’s in any rush to get back for us. There have been instances when players have been fine to play through the pain or whatever, but then take time off to have surgery just so that injury issue does get addressed and theres no long term damage. I think Keane did it in 02/03 if memory serves me correctly.

But at this point, I’m pretty indifferent to him due to how little we‘ve seen him this season and how his entourage are stirring the pot on his behalf. The only reason he’ll be playing some games for us is just for Euro 2020 fitness and if he just happens to help us get Champions League in some way, then fine I guess... but by that point, he’d have had like 15 appearances for us all season?
I don't think that he is going to play through the pain as that could results in him getting injured worse. If this happens it could mean that he misses out of Euro 2020 and potentially injured during the transfer window, which would prevent him the getting the move I think he wants.

Adamsk7

Honestly think he’ll sign a new deal. If he does, watch it be the making of him as a proper player. He needs a bit of a reality check because he isn’t as good as he thinks he is and the arrival of a harder working, more grounded player with similar attributes + the fact that I can’t see anyone else other than Juve being in for him, might just give him that mental jolt he needs to go to the next level.

Ability wise it’s all there as we know, he just lacks consistency and discipline - having the pressure off him a bit would help no end and we Bruno (and possibly Sancho) on board, I think that pressure would be off.

TrueRed79

Maybe Juve as long as they don't try to palm us off with players they don't want for stupid fees.
Don't think we'll ever be up for cash+player deal. Juve posted 50M losses recently. Not sure they can afford the type of deal it would take to get him back.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Just to put things into perspective, Pogba may not be consistent, but over the course of the season, in terms of stats, none of our player produce half as many as him (in terms of goals, assists, chances created etc).

And in terms of performances, or average rating (from whoscored), none of our players is nearly as good as him:

Avg rating 18/19
1. Pogba 7.31
2. Herrera 6.96
3. Rashford 6.95
Mctominay 6.48

In terms of public recognition, none of our other players were voted in Premier league team of the year, except Pogba.

Yes he isn't near as good or as consistent as someone like De Bruyne, who is truly world class and phenomonel. But comparing to likes of other players from Man Utd, he is easily our best player, let's not pretend he isn't.