Is Pogba as good as gone?

Yakuza_devils

No matter what people say Pogba is still easily the best midfielder in our squad by far. He can easily play in any of Pereira, Fred or McT position and he will improve the midfield.

Hope he comes in and fit into number 10 roles well. We can still make top four or more realistically win the europa league to qualify for champions league.

With the front 4 of pogba, James, Rashford and martial on form we could have a good remaining season to at least qualify for champions league.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thats it, hes not world class, world class talent maybe, but not a world player. Hes propped up as some amazing player, that can't be criticised without parts of the fanbase resorting to the only reasons he's disliked/not rated is because hes black, non british, hes eccentric etc
Propped up by who though ? Who says he cannot be criticized ?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This time around he was very good and just injured himself. It's the couple of week after that injury between late november to the 10th of December that he was arguably poor.
He was? Either way, i seem to remember him being pretty underwhelming overall the first part of the season (when Jose was manager) and then playing like a beast during and after Christmas

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was? Either way, i seem to remember him being pretty underwhelming overall the first part of the season (when Jose was manager) and then playing like a beast during and after Christmas
Pogba was our best player alongside Shaw during the first part of the season, he had two underwhelming games against I think Burnley(the game where he apologized for the team effort) and someone else but was pretty good otherwise. It's after his injury that he had a really bad game against Southampton and was underwhelming for about 14 days and only 3-4 games.

He'sRaldo

Pogba was our best player alongside Shaw during the first part of the season, he had two underwhelming games against I think Burnley(the game where he apologized for the team effort) and someone else but was pretty good otherwise. It's after his injury that he had a really bad game against Southampton and was underwhelming for about 14 days and only 3-4 games.
Problem is poor runs of form aren't received well by our fans. Seen it with Rashford, Fred, Martial, Lindelof, etc. For someone polarizing like Pogba, one poor run can damage his reputation among the fans, to the point the whole view of his season is changed.

Last edited:

snowkarl

I couldn't disagree more. He's been largely mediocre for nigh on 3 years, with great performances few and far between and some true shockers.

Usually a cycle of 3 average/poor games after a run of playing well?!? I mean, do you even watch the games?
Don't bother mate. There's a clique of United fans that actually care more about Pogba than the club and will make up any number of falsehoods to try to change the reality.

He's just projecting too because in reality Pogba will be inconsistent and average for 8 to 12 games, play well for 20 minutes like against Newcastle and these people come out of the woodwork and say people are sagging him off due to racism and Islamophobia and Mourinho and this and that.

In reality he's just an inconsistent player who puts in a 1/10 more often than a 10/10 and he hasn't been great bar 5 or 6 games a season no matter how much people try to create this false narrative

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Are you seriously not getting sarcasm?
No. I'm terrible with sarcasm and irony. I tend to assume that people write what they mean and accept being corrected when they aren't. Glad to have cleared it up though. :)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Honestly, how he does and how he is received is entirely up to him. Remember this time around a year ago? He was fecking shite, awful body language, constant writings in the media about training ground bust ups and whatnot.

No doubt his lovers spat with Jose affected him, and no doubt Jose was having a mental breakdown of sorts, but we dont know all the facts here and i dont think Pogba was entirely innocent either. Then we had the whole Real Madrid transfer saga and him openly flirting with other clubs. Remember when Rooney did that? Some United fans never forgave him for that and Rooney has done 10x as much for the club as Pogba has.

At the same time he was playing like a man possessed in Ole's first months and delivered one world class performance after the other

Hes clearly the most talented of our current midfielders, but he has shown signs of questionable attitudes and loyalties in the past. If he returns from injury, plays well and shows that he actually wants to be here, then we are in luck, because we have one of the best midfielders in the world in our team. If he does not want to be here though, and we get the mopey, whinging version of him, we might as well put him in the reserves and sell him in the summer to the highest bidder
Why don't you wait till he gets back, rather than speculating now?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It was Brighton and West Ham where he was poor. You're right on the rest. He was brilliant in two spells at the start of last season with a couple of bad games in between, then an injury. I think around this time last year we'd just played Everton at home where he was great but got criticised for losing the ball in the lead up to their goal I think. Typically it was made into a massive deal. Which kind of sums up why he's so underrated in general in the country because he is scrutinised massively more than any other player. If he missed the open net Rashford missed on Sunday it would be because he cares more about his haircut and his instagram account.

izzydiggler

Every player will have poor runs. Doesn't mean their quality should be questioned each time.
You said “Seen it with Rashford, Fred, Martial, Lindelof, etc“...if you don’t think they (along with pretty much everyone in the squad” should have their quality questioned, then I think your standards must be through the floor.

There isn’t a single player we have that’s earned the right not to be questioning or criticised.

Mainoldo

Its not speculation. If he delivers and and wants to be here. Great, if his head is elsewhere though he should be shipped out ASAP
Of course he wants to be elsewhere. He is too good to be here. Are aim on the other hand should be to improve and hope he changes his mind. Not just give up on him. It doesn't help our future. Just sets us back. I’m sure the Timo Werner’s and Sancho’s Of this world look at United abit different knowing they get to play with Pogba.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No matter what people say Pogba is still easily the best midfielder in our squad by far. He can easily play in any of Pereira, Fred or McT position and he will improve the midfield.

Hope he comes in and fit into number 10 roles well. We can still make top four or more realistically win the europa league to qualify for champions league.

With the front 4 of pogba, James, Rashford and martial on form we could have a good remaining season to at least qualify for champions league.
No way we’re making top 4. 9 points behind. I expect that the current top 4 will make up the final top 4, though not necessarily in the current order

We will do well to finish top 6

Gasolin

Yeah because he is a very good player who has been targeted by a part of the fanbase. It doesn't mean that he is above the club. And I'm sure that some people are more fan of players than they are of the club, Pogba could have such fans but they aren't numerous.
I am an United fan, started with Cantona, and I even like Park (as I have Korean origins, and I am French). But I also like Pogba because beyond being French, he is also of Guinean decent and I have lived in Guinea for a while.

So yeah, I feel something special when I see Pogba wearing the shirt. I know he may not have his full head in the club, but I still believe the combination of a strong United with Pogba could lead to something, and I am excited to see that. Let him get this form back, and we might be on a roll again.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Of course he wants to be elsewhere. He is too good to be here. Are aim on the other hand should be to improve and hope he changes his mind. Not just give up on him. It doesn't help our future. Just sets us back. I’m sure the Timo Werner’s and Sancho’s Of this world look at United abit different knowing they get to play with Pogba.
That's debatable, and even if he is too good for us, here he can be the first name on the team sheet every week and the undeniable star player and main man, some players prefer that over just being another name in a team full of stars.

Ideally hes happy to be here and will deliver the kinds of incredible performances he did last year from Christmas-March, but if we have to bend over backwards to keep him happy and there will be another transfer saga every summer hes not worth it. Hes not irreplaceable, far from it

Gasolin

The only real problem is that somehow Real are back on top of the league. I think we need more bad results from Real coupled with United striking a couple of consecutive wins to steer his mind back to OT. Ole will do the rest, he seems to be good at talking to players, having being a player himself maybe. We need to get back to CL, we need to have a strong run of victories across all competitions, ideally 15 wins straight, including strong teams.

I think the way we lose some games, it's a matter of seconds / minutes of lapse of concentration so if we can fix that, we may be able to do that. We're never really getting outrun by any opposition, including big teams.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This time around he was very good and just injured himself. It's the couple of week after that injury between late november to the 10th of December that he was arguably poor.
If only he had the same mentality as McTominay who has nothing like the same natural talent. But with McTominay you know what you are going to get. Unfortunately with Pogba the opposite is the case.

Mainoldo

That's debatable, and even if he is too good for us, here he can be the first name on the team sheet every week and the undeniable star player and main man, some players prefer that over just being another name in a team full of stars.

Ideally hes happy to be here and will deliver the kinds of incredible performances he did last year from Christmas-March, but if we have to bend over backwards to keep him happy and there will be another transfer saga every summer hes not worth it. Hes not irreplaceable, far from it
I don’t see why not. We’ve bent over backwards for De Gea and nobody cares about that now and he basically had no clubs after him.

I’d love Pogba to stay but I also don’t see anything wrong with us doing everything we can to keep him.

Let’s be honest we will sell him and just sign James Maddison and nobody else.

Rauður Djöfull

Well whatever happens I would sure like to see him motivated and in form playing instead of Pereira in this team right now, reckon he might get a lot of assists and goals

kidbob

No he's not gone (he will be in the summer mind), the lad is injured. Any of you regularly play football with a busted foot?

ScarleyUtd

I couldn't disagree more. He's been largely mediocre for nigh on 3 years, with great performances few and far between and some true shockers.

Usually a cycle of 3 average/poor games after a run of playing well?!? I mean, do you even watch the games?
I agree, so many people coming up with weird and wonderful excuses as to why he hasn't performed. Delusional.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If only he had the same mentality as McTominay who has nothing like the same natural talent. But with McTominay you know what you are going to get. Unfortunately with Pogba the opposite is the case.
The same McTominay who had two good games out of his first eight this season? The problem really is that some players have a few good games and everyone forgets the poor ones. With Pogba it's the opposite

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Why can’t some of you give it a rest. We have a couple of good games lately against lesser teams and now we are acting like we dont need Pogba anymore. Nothing againsta Pereira, McTominay and Fred, they have been good lately but lets not pretend they can do it at the same level against better teams long term.

Lets try Pogba as the attacking midfielder and see how he responds. If he shows genuine intent of comitment to the team and plays well. That whould be great, if he is not up for the task and sulks then we’ll sell him in the summer and hopefuly reinvest the money. Thats fine too.

Top 4 is still up for grabs, but we need consistency and avoid injuries. Thats alot to ask for, but not impossible. Chelsea will most likely at some point show a drop in form and as good as Leicester has been their form is also likely to take a dive at some point.

golden_blunder

Staff
Come on guys! Just a little bit of positivity is all that's needed.
And a big dollop of realism on top. We’ve been so inconsistent all season, what makes you think we aren’t gonna drop more points? We need to make up 9 points difference to even reach top 4. I can’t see any of the current top 4 losing 3 matches and us winning them all to catch up

RedTiger

Half mast
And a big dollop of realism on top. We’ve been so inconsistent all season, what makes you think we aren’t gonna drop more points? We need to make up 9 points difference to even reach top 4. I can’t see any of the current top 4 losing 3 matches and us winning them all to catch up
GB, you honestly dont see the top 4 dropping 9 points from the remaining 78 points?

golden_blunder

Staff
Why can’t some of you give it a rest. We have a couple of good games lately against lesser teams and now we are acting like we dont need Pogba anymore. Nothing againsta Pereira, McTominay and Fred, they have been good lately but lets not pretend they can do it at the same level against better teams long term.

Lets try Pogba as the attacking midfielder and see how he responds. If he shows genuine intent of comitment to the team and plays well. That whould be great, if he is not up for the task and sulks then we’ll sell him in the summer and hopefuly reinvest the money. Thats fine too.

Top 4 is still up for grabs, but we need consistency and avoid injuries. Thats alot to ask for, but not impossible. Chelsea will most likely at some point show a drop in form and as good as Leicester has been their form is also likely to take a dive at some point.
If anything Chelsea are going to get better with Pulisic now finding his feet in the PL

Leicester? Well people kept thinking “it’s only Leicester” when they went on a run to win the PL. their current form is actually better now than when they won the league! Their squad is stronger too.

This is obviously the wrong thread to discuss, but Pogba or no Pogba we are too inconsistent.