Is Pogba as good as gone?

Sterling Archer

What are the rumours he won't play for United again? Or just stuff from the Caf? I've seen Pogba say quite the opposite.
It's nothing I would call credible. But considering the talk from Pogba himself over the summer and his crew, I get a little concerned it might be smoke without fire scenario

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Important obviously, but I can’t remember many games when I can say I’ve enjoyed watching him play, when I haven’t been irritated by his lack of urgency, when he’s lost the ball and made no attempt to get it back...he does not strike me as a team player.
100% same here. And honestly, it's not just the United games. I watched every France game at the World Cup and had the same feeling there. He may be a "world cup winner" but I didn't love what he was doing for France, neither do I think that he was majorly responsible for the success. He played a small role, the main stars were others.

Remembering Pogba's games at United, and putting "stats" aside - the only game I can immediately remember where he was the leader and made major difference was that game against City when we turned the game around from 2:0 to 3:2. I can't remember seeing *that* Pogba in many other matches, if any, but that's the Pogba we all probably expect and get disappointed not finding.

Either way, him publicly repeating that he wants to move on doesn't inspire any love in any true fan and that is just fair. Why would any of us have some extra love for the guy who doesn't even respect the club to not be so blunt about "I can do better"? That just lacks any class. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad player, Cristiano Ronaldo did way worse and ended-up being second best in his generation, but you reap what you sow...

Eric's Seagull

Yes, in midfield. As big a fan I am of McTominay he's still young and developing. During that run. Haha thanks for the layup: Ander Herrera. Take him out and our capitulation form begins.

very much so! He just told them to go play with freedom. The first real chance to stamp some authority into the team was thru a full preseason and after that Pogba was playing deep again. And the club as a whole? Well... the table doesn't lie. We may yet improve but can only give you a reflection based on the present.

Ole is all talk and no action. I mean, he said he fancied Axel in DM. That's immediately a short term solution to let Pogba play further up. Alas, When did he say this please?neither that nor did we buy midfielders of any quality. Until Ole speaks out publicly on Ed not fulfilling transfers then he's complicit. And I take everything the man says with a grain of salt because I have very big suspicions based on the events thus far

Bit silly and contradictory unless you actually believe United have more quality than France. And if that's the case, then whoooopie fun times

Pogba has also claimed he wanted to be a mix up of the best of Zidane, Pirlo, Scholes, Gerrard and even Lampard.

When did he say this please?

Eric's Seagull

Pogba has been talking about leaving United for some time. Straight from the horse's mouth. Then once the club asked him to shut up. And the talk was from his agent and his family.

So when there are rumors now during his injury it carries more weight than if it were out of completely thin air. So let's lay off hyperbole eh
It Pogba wants to leave that much I think it may be the time to leave him go while we can still get a reasonable fee as that could get us a few players. I feel that he is one of those playrs that for all the time he stays here there will be constant rumours of him leaving every year.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
100% same here. And honestly, it's not just the United games. I watched every France game at the World Cup and had the same feeling there. He may be a "world cup winner" but I didn't love what he was doing for France, neither do I think that he was majorly responsible for the success. He played a small role, the main stars were others.

Remembering Pogba's games at United, and putting "stats" aside - the only game I can immediately remember where he was the leader and made major difference was that game against City when we turned the game around from 2:0 to 3:2. I can't remember seeing *that* Pogba in many other matches, if any, but that's the Pogba we all probably expect and get disappointed not finding.

Either way, him publicly repeating that he wants to move on doesn't inspire any love in any true fan and that is just fair. Why would any of us have some extra love for the guy who doesn't even respect the club to not be so blunt about "I can do better"? That just lacks any class. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad player, Cristiano Ronaldo did way worse and ended-up being second best in his generation, but you reap what you sow...
Yeah right :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'd put a few ahead of him. Including Brandon Williams, Daniel James and Wan-Bissaka. Sometimes effort goes a bit further than the occasional killing pass.
They've been here two minutes. He's been here three years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree with most of what you've said. Im of african descent so i too can relate more to pogba than the average middle aged white man. You did leave me scratching my head when you said he isn't childish on the pitch. Im very unbiased so I believe i can go ahead and tell you this is far from the truth. De bruyne loses the ball alot but is not the type of player to shoot at goal when 3 on 1 with two strikers ahead of him. Thats where the frustration comes with fans. The selfishness comes from him trying to get on the scoresheet instead of making sure we have at least secured the game. To deny Pogba is sometimes selfish or has a bit of immaturity to his game is a bit much.

Also how do you explain a player of his quality getting dispossessed more than 8 times as a midfielder in numerous games? You could argue him misplacing passes which would be more in line as a midfielder but getting dispossessed that much shows you he would rather identify as a winger playing in the center. He could decide to release the ball quicker but wants to try tricks in the middle of the park when playing defensive midfielder. It all points back to his immaturity as a player which has been rightfully called out.

I dont want to take away from your main message as to how we view him in the media or to how we try to discredit his professionalism in comparison to past players like keane but i just had to call out that little bit in regards to him. It also doesn't help that we have simpletons like souness who would rather focus on Pogbas private life and decisons when analyzing his football games. Its all a mess really.
That’s not my assessment of Pogba. In fact, the one thing I would always say in his defence is that, if the pass in on, Pogba will ALWAYS go for it. I never see him turn down an obvious offensive pass - if the run is made, he will go for it. The danger comes when he gets the ball in a certain area, and no obvious pass is on, often due to no movement. Instead of sometimes just keeping the ball circulating and passing it sideways, he’ll hold on to it, and at times get dispossessed for dwelling. But if the ball is played into Pogba and the striker is off - he will make the pass almost every time.

Judas

Open to offers
That’s not my assessment of Pogba. In fact, the one thing I would always say in his defence is that, if the pass in on, Pogba will ALWAYS go for it. I never see him turn down an obvious offensive pass - if the run is made, he will go for it. The danger comes when he gets the ball in a certain area, and no obvious pass is on, often due to no movement. Instead of sometimes just keeping the ball circulating and passing it sideways, he’ll hold on to it, and at times get dispossessed for dwelling. But if the ball is played into Pogba and the striker is off - he will make the pass almost every time.
Yep this is all fair and accurate, as for the bit I've bolded I think our forward line has a lot to answer for when it comes to this. Andreas, while not in the same league as Pogba obviously, I've seen showing these exact same behaviours getting frustrated, looking to make the pass forward and.....there's nothing on, and he ends up doing a Pogba with it instead.

The Red Thinker

The greatest positive to have come out of this season, is that we as a club have learnt to live without Pogba. We are not where we want to be on the table, but we have seen that there is a path forward without him. Investment in the right areas to support our front 3, will go a long way to United being a decent side even without Pogba. TBH, I actually want to see how we play when McTominay, Fred and Pogba play together.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not saying it's a competition, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of how the issue is neglected when it comes to white English players.

The rest is fair enough and I have no problem with your opinion, but like I said before, you have clear biases towards Pogba and you can relate to him a lot more than some other fans do so you take some of the criticism to heart. The same way others can relate to Keane, as you stated, and they see nothing wrong with his behaviour.

Fans will always question players' character based on what is shown in public and in the media. The reason is that most footballers are global celebrities now and with all the positives they gain from that status, there will always be negatives. It doesn't mean that most of that comes from a place of subconscious racism or xenophobia. Nobody actually knows these people in real life but they will be judged based on what is shown in public and that ultimately comes with the job. It's why they earn millions for kicking a ball - the scrutiny, expectations and attention is so big that it takes more than just talent to be successful, you need the right mentality and discipline to not let all that get to you.
I agree that fans will judge based on what they see in the media and in public. The difference is, in another country, what is seen from Pogba will be of no problem at all. He is, if anything, one of the genuinely good guys in football.

I mean, let’s dissect this ‘social media activity’ of his. What is actually in it? He’s often out doing charity work, dancing at home with his brothers, in prayer, with his wife and child or attending other sporting events. Please correct me if I’m wrong. For a man of his status and celebrity, compare him to someone like Memphis Depay. Pogba is a lot richer and successful, and far more humble. He’s not constantly linked to different women, never partying, doesn’t have posts of his new Rolls Royce or a ‘hey, look at my new watch’ post or anything like that. He’s a young athlete who is obsessed with sport, which is good. He’s often either playing other sports or watching them when not working.

So in terms of ‘judging him by what he does off the pitch’, if that were done objectively, he’d have for more friends. If people understood his people a bit more. Because all I can see is his dancing being dismissed as ‘flashy’, or people displeased that his colours are too bright while he’s out living his life (also = flashy), he says ‘what’s good bro?’ Instead of ‘how you doing mate?’ when he meets a basketball player, the best the Warwick educated media can come up with is ‘erm, ‘bling bling footballer Paul Pogba’. I can bet that if Pogba was a lover of rock music or something some of the older white men in this land approve of and relate to, and all the clips of him dancing at home were instead of him sitting in his house playing a guitar, it would invoke an entirely different emotion. He’d be asked about his passion for music when Sky Sports come and do their one-to-one sit downs for their pre-match show, with the presenter trading Guns and Roses songs with him. Acceptable. But they know nothing about Daddy Lumba’s music, and have no desire to, so we’ll ‘tolerate the dancing as long as you’re winning games on the pitch’, otherwise, it’s a ‘silly distraction’.

I remember one journalist tweeting once a few years ago in response to Sterling doing something good about how ‘not what you’d usually see from your flashy, bling bling footballer’ (or something to that effect), and Gary Linekar pulled him up and said ‘maybe that’s because he isn’t a flashy bling bling footballer at all?’.

The ultimate point is that a lot of this profiling is what has led to a lot of public opinion, and a thread like this , designed to float the notion that Pogba is faking his injury and trying to force his way out, tend to come from. No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but many football fans are not famous for their intellect, and don’t often have the ability to discern for themselves. The media will just shape what they think. I’ve read from one poster in this thread that ‘it’s clear’ that Ole has sent Pogba to America because he’s a disruptive influence and wants him out. If you asked him to explain how such was clear, he would be unable to.

DoomSlayer

I agree that fans will judge based on what they see in the media and in public. The difference is, in another country, what is seen from Pogba will be of no problem at all. He is, if anything, one of the genuinely good guys in football.

I mean, let’s dissect this ‘social media activity’ of his. What is actually in it? He’s often out doing charity work, dancing at home with his brothers, in prayer, with his wife and child or attending other sporting events. Please correct me if I’m wrong. For a man of his status and celebrity, compare him to someone like Memphis Depay. Pogba is a lot richer and successful, and far more humble. He’s not constantly linked to different women, never partying, doesn’t have posts of his new Rolls Royce or a ‘hey, look at my new watch’ post or anything like that. He’s a young athlete who is obsessed with sport, which is good. He’s often either playing other sports or watching them when not working.

So in terms of ‘judging him by what he does off the pitch’, if that were done objectively, he’d have for more friends. If people understood his people a bit more. Because all I can see is his dancing being dismissed as ‘flashy’, or people displeased that his colours are too bright while he’s out living his life (also = flashy), he says ‘what’s good bro?’ Instead of ‘how you doing mate?’ when he meets a basketball player, the best the Warwick educated media can come up with is ‘erm, ‘bling bling footballer Paul Pogba’. I can bet that if Pogba was a lover of rock music or something some of the older white men in this land approve of and relate to, and all the clips of him dancing at home were instead of him sitting in his house playing a guitar, it would invoke an entirely different emotion. He’d be asked about his passion for music when Sky Sports come and do their one-to-one sit downs for their pre-match show, with the presenter trading Guns and Roses songs with him. Acceptable. But they know nothing about Daddy Lumba’s music, and have no desire to, so we’ll ‘tolerate the dancing as long as you’re winning games on the pitch’, otherwise, it’s a ‘silly distraction’.

I remember one journalist tweeting once a few years ago in response to Sterling doing something good about how ‘not what you’d usually see from your flashy, bling bling footballer’ (or something to that effect), and Gary Linekar pulled him up and said ‘maybe that’s because he isn’t a flashy bling bling footballer at all?’.

The ultimate point is that a lot of this profiling is what has led to a lot of public opinion, and a thread like this , designed to float the notion that Pogba is faking his injury and trying to force his way out, tend to come from. No disrespect to anyone in this thread, but many football fans are not famous for their intellect, and don’t often have the ability to discern for themselves. The media will just shape what they think. I’ve read from one poster in this thread that ‘it’s clear’ that Ole has sent Pogba to America because he’s a disruptive influence and wants him out. If you asked him to explain how such was clear, he would be unable to.
I don't dispute anything that you have said. I just think you expect too much rational thinking in an industry that involves a lot of emotion.

To me, the relationship between the fans and Pogba is a bit like a failed marriage. Most feel let down and project their frustration towards him in a way that everything he does irritates a lot of people.

You mentioned Sterling a few times - look how much his success with his club and national team changed the narrative. Everyone is now celebrating and cherishing his personality, almost everything he does is put in a positive light. I think that is a much bigger influence for people and how they view superstar players than what you alluded to i.e. subconscious racism or xenophobia and that is what I object to because I don't believe that the majority of fans have that in them.

Of course, the media is a big reason for these narratives, they play on people's emotions and make money using sensationalist headlines or use vague made-up stories to further fuel the negativity. But that's how the media has always worked, at least in the modern era of our lives. We see it with all sorts of celebrities from different aspects of life, it's just that football is a huge part of the culture and social life in England, so everything is magnified to a much larger scale.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't dispute anything that you have said. I just think you expect too much rational thinking in an industry that involves a lot of emotion.

To me, the relationship between the fans and Pogba is a bit like a failed marriage. Most feel let down and project their frustration towards him in a way that everything he does irritates a lot of people.

You mentioned Sterling a few times - look how much his success with his club and national team changed the narrative. Everyone is now celebrating and cherishing his personality, almost everything he does is put in a positive light. I think that is a much bigger influence for people and how they view superstar players than what you alluded to i.e. subconscious racism or xenophobia and that is what I object to because I don't believe that the majority of fans have that in them.

Of course, the media is a big reason for these narratives, they play on people's emotions and make money using sensationalist headlines or use vague made-up stories to further fuel the negativity. But that's how the media has always worked, at least in the modern era of our lives. We see it with all sorts of celebrities from different aspects of life, it's just that football is a huge part of the culture and social life in England, so everything is magnified to a much larger scale.
if pogba was English and played for Chelsea he’d be lauded as one of the finest players in the country. The English media hate united and any chance they get to create a story for clicks they will take. Being from outside the country it’s hard to understand this, I think many fans believe our newspapers and think there must be some truth, but 90% of the stories they make are rubbish. They know united are the most supported club in the country+ world, and they generate lots of hits for their website.

Pogba for this reason is a goldmine for them, people both with and against him will click his stories and they’ll make lots of money. It’s up to us to realise what is real or fake.

RedTiger

Half mast

True that bro.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Much like with Coutinho leaving Liverpool, I have no doubt in my mind that we could sell Pogba and come out looking a much better side if we reinvest wisely.

I hope Juve and RM are still willing to shell out massive money. It hasn't worked out, it's time for him to go.

Bringing him back as an advanced midfield player is the only real possible way it works, but I think the situation is irreparable.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Sterling was not treated differently because of his success, he was treated differently because he confronted the media directly and called them out. They retreated and are now in a period of ass kissing. He was a top player before that happened.

As I’ve said, I have little problem people thinking Pogba isn’t good enough. I may question it in the context of other midfielders they seem to rate more highly, but generally speaking- fine. It’s the extra narrative that I think is unfounded and has just been lazily allowed to happen because ‘we’ve moved on from the days of racism in football’ simply means ‘racism doesn’t exist unless the N-word is used’ or something. When he does eventually leave, the sentiment will be like ‘good riddance’ for some reason. I really don’t get why he’s so much of a villain. And tbh, the degree to which he is has led to a gross exaggeration of how ‘bad’ a player he is too. You can tell that from just reading this thread. He’s still amongst the very best midfielders in this league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Much like with Coutinho leaving Liverpool, I have no doubt in my mind that we could sell Pogba and come out looking a much better side if we reinvest wisely.

I hope Juve and RM are still willing to shell out massive money. It hasn't worked out, it's time for him to go.

Bringing him back as an advanced midfield player is the only real possible way it works, but I think the situation is irreparable.
What ‘situation’?

Judas

Open to offers

I don't think you'd find many people on here who disagree with this, and I'm a big Pogba defender. The major question and doubt I have, and I expect most have is a real lack of belief that we'll invest wisely.

I don't see any situation that is irreparable though?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yep this is all fair and accurate, as for the bit I've bolded I think our forward line has a lot to answer for when it comes to this. Andreas, while not in the same league as Pogba obviously, I've seen showing these exact same behaviours getting frustrated, looking to make the pass forward and.....there's nothing on, and he ends up doing a Pogba with it instead.
Yea, I’ve noticed similar with Andreas. Although tbh, he also often lacks the ability to release it quickly either !

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think you'd find many people on here who disagree with this, and I'm a big Pogba defender. The major question and doubt I have, and I expect most have is a real lack of belief that we'll invest wisely.

I don't see any situation that is irreparable though?
It depends. I’ve said before, the issue with Liverpool and Coutinho was that Liverpool could not afford to spend the money had they not sold Coutinho. There is no suggestion that we need to sell Pogba to strengthen our area of needs. If we were skint, I would even entertain the notion myself. However, it just reads like an excuse of those who want rid. The way I see it, if we sold Pogba, we would likely be looking at a similar amount to replace him with someone of anywhere near the same quality. Then we will have to move on to other areas.

As far as Liverpool are concerned, it only made sense due to their inability to spend. It was not the ideal scenario. The ideal scenario would have been buying Van Dijk, Fabinho and Allison while keeping Coutinho. As it stands now, they are still lacking a midfielder of Coutinho’s quality, and tried to buy a far inferior version in Fekir. If we have the money, why the desperation to sell Pogba in order to buy other players, as opposed to just buying other players? Unless the desperation is just to sell Pogba.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The situation that he doesn't want to be at United.
None of us have any clue whether that is ‘irreparable’ tbh. I personally don’t get the impression that it is, and reckon that has been exaggerated a lot on here as justification for wanting rid. But I respect if you see it differently.

Sterling Archer

Thanks very much :)
Went ahead and searched the forum for ya...that was a LOT easier to find searching here than googling it!!

@TheReligion this is the Pogba interview I was thinking back to

ESPN: You've said you want to create, or be, the new midfielder. What does "the new midfielder" mean?

PP:
Doing everything: defend, attack, score, give assists, tackle, win back the ball. Be a leader on the field.

ESPN: A box-to-box midfielder, with a bit of Zidane added?

PP:
[laughs] Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, everyone. Iniesta.

ESPN: Really? You're serious?

PP:
I'm serious. All players rolled into one: from defensive midfielder to attacking midfielder to attacker. I want to take the qualities from everyone. I'd like to get to the level where I have everything: Vieira, Deschamps, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Henry, Ronaldo. It wouldn't be bad, that. I've already scored goals, given decisive passes, won back balls. It's really just about raising the level.

ESPN: Despite your height you haven't scored many headers.

PP:
I think it's because I'm big. They mark me too much. I don't like it when they hold me.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2017-18-performances.430528/post-22172598

Eric's Seagull

Went ahead and searched the forum for ya...that was a LOT easier to find searching here than googling it!!

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2017-18-performances.430528/post-22172598
Thanks very much for that. I had a look earlier but couldn't find it. :) He certainly has massive levels of self belief saying he wants to be "defensive midfielder to attacking midfielder to attacker" with qualities of Vieira, Deschamps, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Henry, Ronaldo, Messi and Iniesta. Supreme confidence. Very high level to set the bar. If he had all that he would be phenomenal :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks very much for that. I had a look earlier but couldn't find it. :) He certainly has massive levels of self belief saying he wants to be "defensive midfielder to attacking midfielder to attacker" with qualities of Vieira, Deschamps, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Henry, Ronaldo, Messi and Iniesta. Supreme confidence. Very high level to set the bar. If he had all that he would be phenomenal :drool:
In isolation he has all that but no player can do it at the same time, in the same team due to the fact that these things depends a lot on the roles and areas of the field that you are occupying. These type of interviews are why I think that Pogba is a bit foolish and why I question his tactical acumen.

kouroux

In isolation he has all that but no player can do it at the same time, in the same team due to the fact that these things depends a lot on the roles and areas of the field that you are occupying. These type of interviews are why I think that Pogba is a bit foolish and why I question his tactical acumen.
It tends to happen when one is surrounded by a bunch of enablers blowing all the good things he does out of proportion. Him losing a sense of reality towards the player he is, isn't surprising

Sterling Archer

Yeah I had spent like 15 minutes trying to Google it but without key words it kept popping up all these more recent interviews from Ronaldinho saying Pogba could win Balon d Or.

The thing about that is, I think he genuinely can be all of that in one. He's a phenomenal player technically and physically with the creative skill too. But he's not there mentally. I think the humble boy has been ruined by that fat piece of sh*# Raiola bigging him up from a young age. Sure he was amazing at Juve but I firmly believe that if he had instead bided his time a little longer and been nurtured by Sir Alex he would be untouchable class right now.

Eric's Seagull

Yeah I had spent like 15 minutes trying to Google it but without key words it kept popping up all these more recent interviews from Ronaldinho saying Pogba could win Balon d Or.

The thing about that is, I think he genuinely can be all of that in one. He's a phenomenal player technically and physically with the creative skill too. But he's not there mentally. I think the humble boy has been ruined by that fat piece of sh*# Raiola bigging him up from a young age. Sure he was amazing at Juve but I firmly believe that if he had instead bided his time a little longer and been nurtured by Sir Alex he would be untouchable class right now.
I hope you are right about that part in bold. You could be right about Raiola bigging him up and it seems as if at the time that it may have went to his head. Let's hope when he comes back he is focused and does something special for the rest of the season.

Canagel

Wow he was really covering up for a lot of frauds in our midfield..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It tends to happen when one is surrounded by a bunch of enablers blowing all the good things he does out of proportion. Him losing a sense of reality towards the player he is, isn't surprising
Aided and abetted by a chunk of our internet fan base! Got to love a Instagram #baller.

He'sRaldo

Now he's out it's clear how much he's missed in the midfield, however once he gets back he'll be slated as usual.

Same with Martial, goals dry up when he's out injured but once he comes back and the attack is playing better, the slating slowly starts again.

kouroux

Aided and abetted by a chunk of our internet fan base! Got to love a Instagram #baller.
I seriously hope one day you manage to see the world in more ways than black and white. He's at the club and it's hurting you real bad, seek help my man. You have this tendency of making complete conclusions based on a single sentence and the worst part is that you think you are clever with it.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Kudos for already getting the excuses in.
Haha! +1

... and managing to fit Pogba and Messi into the same sentence... Pogba isn't even at the level adjacent to Messi. Pogba has nothing except for "but he won the world cup" BS going on for him. At the club level, a much tougher level, he's done nothing so far. So please don't even try to compare him to anybody near Messi's level.