Is Pogba as good as gone?

Hammondo

Pogba has never been a player taht controls the game, so how can it be his role? Not all midfielders are Xavi like, most aren't.
Well his defensive contribution is terrible, so that leave AM, which is what I said he should be. He is a liability at CM.

kopviolator

De Gea did exactly the same and no one came out and called him a virus. Why is there a double standard?
Where did I have double standard? I never called Pogba a virus or anything of the sort.

But aside from that, you say DDG did exactly the same, can you find him on camera telling the world he wants to move on? I've never seen that but I saw one with Pogba.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well his defensive contribution is terrible, so that leave AM, which is what I said he should be. He is a liability at CM.
He isn't a liability in midfield, that statement is nonsensical since we have seen him in midfield for far better teams than us, playing at the highest level. Just look at who is around him and ask yourself if they are doing their share of the job at a high standard? Which of our player is good enough to start for the best teams, which of them is good enough to start for a 2015 Juventus?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Where did I have double standard? I never called Pogba a virus or anything of the sort.

But aside from that, you say DDG did exactly the same, can you find him on camera telling the world he wants to move on? I've never seen that but I saw one with Pogba.
He was in airport ready to sign for Madrid after running down his contract but him not saying infront of camera is all that matters?

kopviolator

He was in airport ready to sign for Madrid after running down his contract but him not saying infront of camera is all that matters?
In my opinion there is a big difference in conducting your business quietly and sign for another club or trying to force your way out by making public statements via your agent, your brother or "entourage" or yes, even by yourself on camera. If you feel differently then that's fine by me.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
won't miss him.. it's ahrd to miss someone who's hardly been there. Take the £150m and wait to see how soon he starts sulking at Juve or Madrid

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In my opinion there is a big difference in conducting your business quietly and sign for another club or trying to force your way out by making public statements via your agent, your brother or "entourage" or yes, even by yourself on camera. If you feel differently then that's fine by me.
De Gea wanting out was very much public, only difference was he didn't tell that himself.

Anyways I don't blame him or Pogba, can't expect players to stay with us forever. As long as club can get good money and use it to replace players then all good.

Denis' cuff

Sooner this disruptive fecker is gone the better.

sick of the circus.

Slightly more productive, per annum than Lingard

The Original

Okay, let me rephrase in general, that why is Pogba's situation any different from De Gea's? De Gea may not have come on camera to say he wanted to leave but Pogba was only answering a question when he was asked, and he has since, through his agent, said he wants to stay.

De Gea, on the other hand, may not have said anything on camera but he almost successfully forced the club to sell on deadline day some seasons ago. He has constantly held the club to ransom with his pay demands, despite well-documented lapses in performance, which is why he is the highest earner at the club today. How many other clubs in the top flight have a goalkeeper as their highest earner?

One rule for all: If Pogba is labeled a negative influence, so should De Gea. But as you go down that road, suddenly a pattern emerges where all the better performers have a record of wanting out. Tells you that this is the general mindset of good players at Utd, not something unique to just one or two players.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
De Gea was always respectful. He was the best keeper in world and wanted to return home to Spain, having been our player of the season more than once. Very few really begrudged him that move. Apart from Ed and his fax machine.

Spain, Italy, France. It doesn’t make any difference to Pogba. He just doesn’t want to be here, hasn’t for the past two years and has been happy to let it be known in interviews and through his performances on the pitch.

The Original

De Gea was always respectful. He was the best keeper in world and wanted to return home to Spain, having been our player of the season more than once. Very few really begrudged him that move. Apart from Ed and his fax machine.

Spain, Italy, France. It doesn’t make any difference to Pogba. He just doesn’t want to be here, hasn’t for the past two years and has been happy to let it be known in interviews and through his performances on the pitch.
You don't know that. Contrarily, time and time again, the one place that we know Pogba has requested to me transferred to is Madrid. Secondly, Pogba has abundantly stated that he is happy to be here, he has referred to Manchester as his home, and speaks near-perfect English. As for reading meaning into his performances...really??

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea perfomed on the pitch in a way Pogba has never come remotely close to, so of course fans are going to view him in a different light and be more forgiving when he wants to leave. It's not different standards, it's different situations and contexts.

Stadjer

Sooner this disruptive fecker is gone the better.

sick of the circus.

Slightly more productive, per annum than Lingard
What a weird post.

Reports stated that Pogba is very well liked by his teammates so he isnt disruptive to the squad at all. Young players said that he tries to help them all the time. I also do get the impression that he has a very friendly personality when you see him in interviews or how he interacts with other people.

He was back inbetween his injuries for a few minutes and created chances and made passes no other players in the squad can or will make. He did it multiple times even. Lingard hasnt done anything in over a year.

I do admit that there is a bit of a 'circus' around him. His manager, his not very talented footballing brothers, the transferfee and Pogba has a bit of a flamboyant personality. He does like to stand out. That also makes him one of the most marketable in the world so that part isnt all bad. Besides that being one of best midfielder players and a world cup winner will also attract some 'circus'.

As a Manchester United fan i hope Pogba stays because if he leaves Manchester United becomes weaker. Selling your best and most talented player is never a good thing. However as a fan of football i wouldnt mind it if he left. Pogba in a functional team is great to watch. It would also be hilarious to see him prove the Pogba-out brigade wrong...

The Pogba out brigade will have found a new target by then though... focusing on another Manchester United flair player who doesnt show enough 'pashun'.

yamo123x

Talented player no doubt, but he played in a team with very few good players around him. When he plays there is total reliance on him to create and when things go wrong he is always an easy scapegoat. I can personally see why he would want to move on. What doesnt help him is his agent and his big fat mouth.I find myself hating one of our best players jsut because of his agent. Crazy thought but true. he has been as good as useless being injured practically all this season whilst collecting his mega wages.

That all said, i am convinced he will now leave for sure and i hope we can bring in Maddison and Sancho with the money we raise

The Original

De Gea perfomed on the pitch in a way Pogba has never come remotely close to, so of course fans are going to view him in a different light and be more forgiving when he wants to leave. It's not different standards, it's different situations and contexts.
So you are saying that fans are being unforgiving to Pogba and thus are prejudiced which means he is not given a fair assessment in this situation. So basically, Pogba has done nothing wrong and the problem is with the fans who are not being reasonable.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can we close this thread until some news actually comes along, this thread and the performance thread basically have the same posts over and over again.

pascell

He is amazing but to me the key point here is that De Bruyne and Silva each play with an other great playmaker, their presence allow more space and time for the other because the defense can't focus on just one. And that's only from center midfield.
I agree and it shows how far we've fallen in terms of quality and depth of our squad. If Pogba stayed or left and we replaced him with someone like Grealish, either player would have an increase in output as there's now Fernandes who will contribute also.

In summer we have to get more quality into the side, especially the RW, ST and a defensive CM.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
hear me out. this is far fetched and quite conspiratorial:

Pogba will stay. Barca cant afford another huge fee and Real are waiting for Messi to fade and wont plash huge dough.

Pogba knew his ankle was wonky and knew United was a bit shit. He told Ole he will stay but he will take the season off to get surgery and recover for The Euros.

Ole knew that other stars signing here are based on us winning or having other stars and high salaries.

Pogba is staying.

Son

You don't know that. Contrarily, time and time again, the one place that we know Pogba has requested to me transferred to is Madrid. Secondly, Pogba has abundantly stated that he is happy to be here, he has referred to Manchester as his home, and speaks near-perfect English. As for reading meaning into his performances...really??
I hope Pogba stays I truly do and his celebrating especially against PSG showed he’s a fan of United. We all know that but...

I don’t know where you’ve picked up on these super positive interviews that he’s happy to be here?

Our manager has handled him atrociously this season though I might add so I can’t blame it all on Pogba. Absolutely clueless and so are us fans about his intentions in the summer.

Either way United win. We sell, we get money to strengthen properly. Keep and we have a quality player who ‘maybe’ is loyal.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
All the drama worth it? It probably is but doesn't help when he not playing most of the season and when he plays he mostly in a tactic that doesn't suit him or mishandled by the sports science team. I don't know where i was going with this.

AneRu

I think we should sell if we can get a fee in the £100m range. He is an exceptional player but he wants out and, in my view, if you going to have one world class player in your team it has to be someone who can paper over the cracks - a Mane or Salah type that can score and assist 30 to 40 goals not an inconsistent CM managers don't know how to utilize.

Coops73

I hope Pogba stays I truly do and his celebrating especially against PSG showed he’s a fan of United. We all know that but...

I don’t know where you’ve picked up on these super positive interviews that he’s happy to be here?

Our manager has handled him atrociously this season though I might add so I can’t blame it all on Pogba. Absolutely clueless and so are us fans about his intentions in the summer.

Either way United win. We sell, we get money to strengthen properly. Keep and we have a quality player who ‘maybe’ is loyal.
But will we? If we get say £100m, will Woody and the Glazers make all of that and whatever is in the budget available for new players?

let’s say hypothetically we’ve got £100m in the summer “war chest “ ready to spend, providing that (I can’t remember who) some journalists are incorrect in reporting that the Fernandes buy came out of the summer kitty, then that would give us £200m to spend, quite some amount there but do we really think that will all get spent on reinforcing the team? and in a summer when there is a major tournament? when it would appear Woody can only do 1 deal at a time?

Unfortunately I’m sceptical as feck.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Only way Pogba stays is if noone is willing to cough up which is bad news for everyone. A frustrated player running down his contract and United delaying the reset button and no doubt postponing new player purchases that are required.
People thinking he wants to be at United and may want to stay etc is pure delusion. Like having a fit girlfriend who offered herself to your next door neighbour, lets everyone in the neighbourhood know shes unhappy and wants a fresh start, you havent had any action in months but are still sat there trying to convince yourself she is into you.

oz insomniac

At the end of the day, the major issue will be the fact that there is little trust in Woody and Judge reinvesting any fee received for Pogba wisely. Would be admirable if they could anything more than one signing at a time, which should be a nonsense but isn't. They don't appear to have any ability to sell the vision of the future at Man Utd, and with little evidence that this will improve, expect more of what we have been witnessing.

Names and rumours fed by the newly appointed Woodward media fanboy , and the club will likely stand still again. We have almost a death wish for such a big club, owners that don't have a major interest the game itself and a peanut accountant running us, what could possibly go wrong ?

DoomSlayer

It's hilarious how some of the media outlets have gone with the story "Solskjaer axes Pogba from winter break training camp". :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Spain, France?

Infra-red

But will we? If we get say £100m, will Woody and the Glazers make all of that and whatever is in the budget available for new players?

let’s say hypothetically we’ve got £100m in the summer “war chest “ ready to spend, providing that (I can’t remember who) some journalists are incorrect in reporting that the Fernandes buy came out of the summer kitty, then that would give us £200m to spend, quite some amount there but do we really think that will all get spent on reinforcing the team? and in a summer when there is a major tournament? when it would appear Woody can only do 1 deal at a time?

Unfortunately I’m sceptical as feck.
It was Solskjaer who said that Fernandes came out of the summer budget. Also, if we sell Pogba for £100m, then we will have approximately £120m/£130m to spend this summer - the club can't afford a positive net spend of more than £20m-30m, without drawing from its cash reserves. That is why Pogba is as good as gone - we need the money.

hubbuh

I will be extraordinarily disappointed if/when he leaves. He exudes that ‘United’ factor and he’s just so darn entertaining.

Coops73

It was Solskjaer who said that Fernandes came out of the summer budget. Also, if we sell Pogba for £100m, then we will have approximately £120m/£130m to spend this summer - the club can't afford a positive net spend of more than £20m-30m, without drawing from its cash reserves. That is why Pogba is as good as gone - we need the money.
Glazernomics. Shocking.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It's pretty clear that he's leaving I reckon. If he does go, I think we'll get about 140m for him - which is cheap. If you consider the Bruno purchase part of that summer budget I we'll have about 130m to spend including the Pogba money. Enough for Grealish and a cheaper striker option - maybe a permanent Ighalo deal if he does well. That could be our whack this summer.

AneRu

Remember we are also selling Smalling, we need a resolution on Henderson/De Gea* and we should be selling one of or both Jones and Rojo; all that should give us another 60m which should make the available sum closer to 200m. Personally I think we need to move on from the Pogba issue and rebuild with players that want to be here for the long run, its not his fault as I feel that he has been unfairly targeted by the media whilst his fee has raised expectations that he isn't able to meet on a consistent basis in a highly dysfunctional group. The players we need are a DM, a playmaker and a right sided forward. If we play our cards right we should be able to get those three positions sorted.

youmeletsfly

Romano says that Raiola told him Pogba feels Italy is his second home and he wants to go back after the Euros.

Tarrou

I’d be happy to let him go to Italy if that’s what he wants

A well run club would have the deal sorted in May and replacement signed up soon after. What are the odds we let this drag all summer and he signs for Juve in the last days of the window, though?

fps

It’s may be an exaggeration, but I don’t think it’s far from the truth. He will be 27 in a few weeks, and he still isn’t a consistent performer. I think that would be acceptable for someone with half his talent, but more often that not, he is sub-par and frustrating for United. We forgive it because he pops up with a bit of genius every so often, but he hasn’t justified his wage or his transfer fee.

He obviously has a high opinion of himself, but he hasn’t really achieved anything in the game to have that opinion. Yes, he has won a World Cup, but so has Giroud. At club level, he was fortunate to be in a world class Juventus side with no real domestic competition.

Truly great players elevate their teams, and he has everything. He has tremendous vision, great ability on the ball, he is athletic and strong and he is an intelligent footballer, but he seems incapable of stringing it all together and seems to need a very specific role to play well.

People defend him, but his attitude stinks. To not even go up to Burnley and watch his teammates, and to instead choose some charity match in France is disrespectful in the extreme.

People excuse him of his behavior and Raiola because of the player he has the potential to be, but the player he is, isn’t worth all the heartache he inevitably brings.

Sell him, and get in two players who are driven to perform for United and are full aware of the privilege they have in playing here.
I agree.