Is Pogba as good as gone?

kopviolator

I still think Pogba and Raiola will be looking for a bumper new contract at United ahead of anything else.

They know they can get more money here than anywhere else would offer him.

From a United perspective, if we really do want to challenge for the PL and CL like Ed Woodward says, then they need to be keeping Pogba, signing Sancho & then we'll really start looking the business again.

................McTominay
.........Pogba ........B.Fernandes
Sancho.....Rashford.........Martial
It would be in Raoila's interest to force a sale and get his commission. That's what he does.

arthurka

They will try offer Ramsey as part of any deal.
They can stick that Welsh t*** up their glory hole. Pay up or shut up, tired of listening to that fat agent talking this and that about us, Pogba being Rolls Royce, Real and Juve. If he is so good they won't have a problem paying for their top of the line new toyboy.

Posh Red

I'm not sure that is the only issue for me (and his own comment of course) but it is the most important one. It just spells out to me he wants to leave. And I don't believe in keeping players that want to leave. That's all there is to it as far as I'm concerned and it doesn't mean I have an agenda or that I hate Paul Pogba or any other nonsense like that.
Fair enough. I still can’t work out why you thought there was any benefit to ‘making him sweat in the reserves’ then, if you have no personal issue with him

Infra-red

I dont think he will leave this summer. We dont need the money, we need worldclass players. And I just cant see anyone (except for PSG maybe), fork out the 130+ mill plus 300k/week wages.

Think its more likely we give him a new monster contract and keep him.

Add Sancho + Soumare in summer and maybe a striker and we Good to go next season.
We really could do with the money, otherwise we'll be forced to draw heavily from our cash reserves (or have a very quiet summer).

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I thought many of you said he would be gone in January. If you were wrong before why should I think you are right this time?

kopviolator

Fair enough. I still can’t work out why you thought there was any benefit to ‘making him sweat in the reserves’ then, if you have no personal issue with him
Because I believe the club should hold the reigns and not him or any other player/agent combo. I think they are bang out of order in the way Raiola is vying for the transfer via the media and I think the club should consider disciplinary action. With the Euros around the corner and Pogba out of form, what would be a sterner message than to say to him "Look, the way things are going with your agent's declarations, we can't count on your commitment at this point in time and feel you may be a disturbing influence to the team. You'll therefore need to train by yourself (or whatever) and as long as your agent is behaving this way - you won't be selected for the team".

But as I said in the beginning, this would be tempting - but probably wold only have negative effect on our negotiation standpoint.

Posh Red

Because I believe the club should hold the reigns and not him or any other player/agent combo. I think they are bang out of order in the way Raiola is vying for the transfer via the media and I think the club should consider disciplinary action. With the Euros around the corner and Pogba out of form, what would be a sterner message than to say to him "Look, the way things are going with your agent's declarations, we can't count on your commitment at this point in time and feel you may be a disturbing influence to the team. You'll therefore need to train by yourself (or whatever) and as long as your agent is behaving this way - you won't be selected for the team".

But as I said in the beginning, this would be tempting - but probably wold only have negative effect on our negotiation standpoint.
What about the other Raiola clients on our books though?

tjb

83 million is a steal in this market for a player of his ability. I refuse to believe that we wouldn't get 100m+ for him. This will likely be his Euros to dominate, he will be fresh - a lot fresher than most of the players due to lack of football this term and I won't be surprised if he leads the France to another tournament victory and a few clubs start fighting over him. At the moment he is suffering from no football and in this sport people only remember your last games.
You forget his wages and the fact that everyone knows he's trying to leave. We dragged this out last year over the fee, this year, let it just be done. We need him gone to fully restart this team as he really doesn't want to be here.

Posh Red

Is there another, besides Lingard?
Anyway, what about them? Personally I would avoid any dealings with this guy.
Well as Raiola has been making negative remarks about United in the press, and agents comments seem to be quite important to you, I assumed you wouldn’t want any of his other clients training with the first team either. E.g. Romero and Lingard.

Personally I find it impractical and a bit neurotic to get wound up by the agents comments. It’s what they do at the end of the dayand if you want top players, sometimes you just have to ignore a bit of the drama that comes with it. Pogba is under contract for at least another two years, and it’s in his interest to play well for united. He’s never threatened to go on strike, and even Mourinho admitted he’s a brilliant trainer.

Hazard was far more vocal than Pogba in the last couple of years at Chelsea. But he was still their most important player during that period and he left on good terms. Hopefully we can have a similar end to our relationship with Pogba.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think he will eventually sign a new contract and stay.

Its wierd for raiola to mention twice that he "can't leave" Manchester United. Usually, if he really wants a client to leave its no holds barred.

Seems like he is jockeying for a new contract as he knows nobody will be paying a transfer fee close to what we want this summer.
Totally this

I've quite obvious this is just keeping options open for contract negotiations.

poleglass red

You forget his wages and the fact that everyone knows he's trying to leave. We dragged this out last year over the fee, this year, let it just be done. We need him gone to fully restart this team as he really doesn't want to be here.
I agree. Ideally we'd easily get 120 plus for him but as you say, his wages plus clubs know he wants out. I think there has to be a point where the club says, enough is enough, having a player who doesn't want to be here isn't ideal. Ole/club wants young hungry players for their rebuild,yet here we have our star player and his agent making no secret that he wants out. I think they will cave in and take much less than the reported numbers they are seeking. I think we could get what we paid for him, maybe even 5-10 mill more. I'd love him to stay, but sometimes you just have to accept a player wants out

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
He should be sold ASAP,I'm tired of the circus he and his agent bring.
The club clearly lacks leadership at all levels,allowing him to win the war against Mou set a wrong precedence. Now he's walking all over the club and disrespecting the fans and some fans are still pandering him.
Some people are talking as if he's doing a volunteer job at United, he is paid good money, and the minimum required of him is commitment and effort.
Yes we are not good at the moment, but he's not the first player to play for a not so successful side,neither is he the first United player to seek a move elsewhere ,but none disrespected the fans like this.
If he thinks that he's too good for us and he's more ambitious than we are, he should hand in a transfer request and leave.
I dont blame,I blame Ed and the Glazers who have brought ridicule to one of the best clubs,when United were United who's Pogba?He should leave.

pascell

He's earning less than Ramsey is at Juve, Ramsey would have to be sold before any Pogba deal could take place though.

DevilRed

Totally this

I've quite obvious this is just keeping options open for contract negotiations.
Expecting us to break premier league records to keep him though. Upwards of 500k a week or something silly?

Whether that is worth it or not remains to be seen. If we get Paul Pogba of the first 3 months of OGS tenure then yes please. If we are getting crockba then that could be an issue.

I feel for the lad sometimes though. The pressure just keeps mounting on him. The only player I know who gets accused of downing tools when he is genuinely injured and had surgery. The media agenda is despicable at times. Bordering on racism.

kopviolator

Well as Raiola has been making negative remarks about United in the press, and agents comments seem to be quite important to you, I assumed you wouldn’t want any of his other clients training with the first team either. E.g. Romero and Lingard.

Personally I find it impractical and a bit neurotic to get wound up by the agents comments. It’s what they do at the end of the dayand if you want top players, sometimes you just have to ignore a bit of the drama that comes with it. Pogba is under contract for at least another two years, and it’s in his interest to play well for united. He’s never threatened to go on strike, and even Mourinho admitted he’s a brilliant trainer.

Hazard was far more vocal than Pogba in the last couple of years at Chelsea. But he was still their most important player during that period and he left on good terms. Hopefully we can have a similar end to our relationship with Pogba.
Similar with those two, when Raiola starts pissing over the club in their name I's suggest to have a word with them and ask if that is how they feel about their relationship with the club and if not then have their representative shut up. Because that is precisely what he is, their representative no more and no less and I don't think one can disassociate his comments from Pogba.

But I engaged in this dialog when you aimed your dig at me for hating Pogba. I've explained that I don't and I think I've reasoned my point of view. I'll leave it there.

tjb

I agree. Ideally we'd easily get 120 plus for him but as you say, his wages plus clubs know he wants out. I think there has to be a point where the club says, enough is enough, having a player who doesn't want to be here isn't ideal. Ole/club wants young hungry players for their rebuild,yet here we have our star player and his agent making no secret that he wants out. I think they will cave in and take much less than the reported numbers they are seeking. I think we could get what we paid for him, maybe even 5-10 mill more. I'd love him to stay, but sometimes you just have to accept a player wants out
Exactly!!! It goes against their entire vision. You can't say we stopped a deal for Dybala because he did not want to come and in the same token keep Pogba while his agent voices his negative opinions of the club, whether just or unjust. Every team has issues and periods where they have difficulties. Juventus got relegated to Serie B, Liverpool were average for 20 years, in fact Coutinho forced his way out in 2017 and will not reap the rewards this liverpool team planned to have, Barcelona had this period in the early 2000s, Madrid had this period in the late 2000s and Bayern for years could not challenge for the champions league. In these teams, alot of players decided to continue their dedication to the team while a few players decided that the club's standing did not fit their individual visions for themselves. It is a normal thing and we have and will not be the only team to experience this. If Pogba wants to go, we should let him go for a good fee which we can use to strengthen the club. We need players who want to be here. We are not Stoke, there are many players who want to play for man utd as it is still the biggest brand in the sport.

Even in regards to Pogba, his brand is far bigger as a result of his connection with Man Utd. When Di Maria came to United in 2015, he had the third highest jersey sales in the world. We give a lot of players more recognition than they otherwise would have had. Imagine the star power players like Aguero, Silva, Hazard, Debruyne and Toure would have had with the platform United would give them. I feel that our fans forget how big we actually are and it is because of the attention the club will always get that the negative periods we have seem worse than they actually are.

tjb

He's earning less than Ramsey is at Juve, Ramsey would have to be sold before any Pogba deal could take place though.
It doesn't have to be Juve. There's Madrid. Hopefully PSG sell Mbappe or Neymar so they can make space for him too. Plus we can also engage in player swap deals that could take off some financial points from any of his bidders.

Son

I thought many of you said he would be gone in January. If you were wrong before why should I think you are right this time?
So true. I believe some people are just willing him to leave now.

It’s pathetic since he’s our best player at the peak of his powers who can actually win us trophies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wonder if we could have a Bale situation here. Maybe not as toxic as that, but here is a player who clearly doesn't want to be here, but could also be priced out of the market. Either he's too much money, or there's just no buyers for him. As people are saying, there's probably two clubs in the world who could possibly afford him, but do they REALLY want to break the bank for him. We're seeing it more and more, with players simply pricing themselves out of the market due to the absurd transfer fees/wages.

Obviously the players aren't the same. Pogba is in his prime, while Bale certainly isn't. But the situation seems similar.

Zen86

Wonder if we could have a Bale situation here. Maybe not as toxic as that, but here is a player who clearly doesn't want to be here, but could also be priced out of the market. Either he's too much money, or there's just no buyers for him. As people are saying, there's probably two clubs in the world who could possibly afford him, but do they REALLY want to break the bank for him. We're seeing it more and more, with players simply pricing themselves out of the market due to the absurd transfer fees/wages.

Obviously the players aren't the same. Pogba is in his prime, while Bale certainly isn't. But the situation seems similar.
It’ll be difficult to shift him. No doubt Raiola’s plan is to continue creating a circus around him in an effort to force his price down.

We would certainly accept any offer that met his market value without any fuss, as frankly it’s money that can best be spent elsewhere. And yet Juventus certainly aren’t going to stump up the full fee for him, nor is any other club.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It’ll be difficult to shift him. No doubt Raiola’s plan is to continue creating a circus around him in an effort to force his price down.

We would certainly accept any offer that met his market value without any fuss, as frankly it’s money that can best be spent elsewhere. And yet Juventus certainly aren’t going to stump up the full fee for him, nor is any other club.
I'd be shocked it United accepted anything below £100m. And they shouldn't accept anything under that, either. But there again, you're at risk of pricing him out, which could possibly end up with a player who clearly doesn't want to be here staying. This is the problem with these huge, superstar players now. They're so expensive, there's a very, very small pool of teams that can afford them.

Infra-red

Anyone else reckon he’ll be miraculously fit for the international break to play for France and then a complication with an existing injury will flare up again straight afterwards?
Quite likely, although he'll definitely want a few games in a United shirt before May.

SATA

I reckon it’s a ploy to force United to open and agree a contract extension and adhere to his client’s demands. In short, the club will give him what he wants

Zen86

I'd be shocked it United accepted anything below £100m. And they shouldn't accept anything under that, either. But there again, you're at risk of pricing him out, which could possibly end up with a player who clearly doesn't want to be here staying. This is the problem with these huge, superstar players now. They're so expensive, there's a very, very small pool of teams that can afford them.
To be honest, I would be shocked if anyone offered close to £100m for him. He’s not really worth the money. He’s a great player on his day, but no one wants a £100m player who shows up every now and then. He doesn’t have a very good reputation at the end of the day, deserved or not.

edgar allan

His value has gone down a good bit this season

edgar allan

I reckon it’s a ploy to force United to open and agree a contract extension and adhere to his client’s demands. In short, the club will give him what he wants
He deserves a pay cut......surely not even our club will reward underachievement with a payrise.

edgar allan

Expecting us to break premier league records to keep him though. Upwards of 500k a week or something silly?

Whether that is worth it or not remains to be seen. If we get Paul Pogba of the first 3 months of OGS tenure then yes please. If we are getting crockba then that could be an issue.

I feel for the lad sometimes though. The pressure just keeps mounting on him. The only player I know who gets accused of downing tools when he is genuinely injured and had surgery. The media agenda is despicable at times. Bordering on racism.
What??

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
To be honest, I would be shocked if anyone offered close to £100m for him. He’s not really worth the money. He’s a great player on his day, but no one wants a £100m player who shows up every now and then. He doesn’t have a very good reputation at the end of the day, deserved or not.
I disagree, tbh. I think we can get £100m + for him, and we should get that for him. At the end of the day, he's a world class midfielder. Yeah, there's issues about his consistency, but the quality is there. He's in his prime and he's highly marketable. If bloody Coutinho can go for what he went for (different position, i know) then Pogba can definitely go for that.

Zen86

I disagree, tbh. I think we can get £100m + for him, and we should get that for him. At the end of the day, he's a world class midfielder. Yeah, there's issues about his consistency, but the quality is there. He's in his prime and he's highly marketable. If bloody Coutinho can go for what he went for (different position, i know) then Pogba can definitely go for that.
I don’t know who would realistically buy him though, or afford him. Barca won’t, Bayern won’t, no one in the PL would, Madrid don’t seem interested, Juve I don’t think could afford him, unless there’s a player exchange involved. PSG would already be sniffing round if they wanted him. His marketability has fallen this season.

The Bloody-Nine

Agreed. If someone offers us our money back we should snap their arm off.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don’t know who would realistically buy him though, or afford him. Barca won’t, Bayern won’t, no one in the PL would, Madrid don’t seem interested, Juve I don’t think could afford him, unless there’s a player exchange involved. PSG would already be sniffing round if they wanted him. His marketability has fallen this season.
Yeah, we're just going back to my main issue now. Players being too expensive for the market. I guess i'm talking strictly about his value. I think he should be easily valued above £100m but then, as i said in my original post, these types of players are pricing themselves out of the market. But i just don't want this club to back down and accept an offer that is clearly way less than what he's worth.

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure. That's why i said that we could have a Bale situation on our hands. Because this club knows how valuable an asset Pogba is, and they will charge accordingly.

Hammondo

It’s not like we’ve missed him at all this season is it?

Currently sitting 8th in the league.

His 20 minute cameo the other month was the best football I’ve seen from any United player all season. More of that please.
No it wasn't.

Hammondo

I'm certainly no Pogba fan boy but we should stick with him until the Euros because I have a sneaky feeling he's going to have a great tournament meaning we can sell him for more. Benching him out of spite is no good for anybody. Also we should buy new midfielders regardless of when we sell him.
Runs the risk of the opposite happening.

Zen86

Yeah, we're just going back to my main issue now. Players being too expensive for the market. I guess i'm talking strictly about his value. I think he should be easily valued above £100m but then, as i said in my original post, these types of players are pricing themselves out of the market. But i just don't want this club to back down and accept an offer that is clearly way less than what he's worth.

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure. That's why i said that we could have a Bale situation on our hands. Because this club knows how valuable an asset Pogba is, and they will charge accordingly.
It’s a funny one really. It’s not so much the £100m price tag, because as you say, clubs have and will pay that kind of money for the right player. It’s more that he isn’t worth that kind of money.

His value is more the fact that he’s a big name player that we paid big money for. He’s theoretically at his peak, unlike Bale, but he’s done nothing to warrant £100m at Manchester United. He’s more or less being priced on his standing in world football 3 years ago. While we’re quite right to expect that kind of money, all things considered, I really can’t see us getting it.

We’ll get cash + a player for him, probably from Juve.