Is Pogba as good as gone?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still think he's gone. Not something I'd criticise him for as it's his career but just doesn't strike me as someone who wants to stay at one club for too long.

Only things that might change it is if he's maybe tempted to stay now it seems like the club is actually building something, and maybe the market pricing clubs he'd fancy out of buying him.

If it's the later though I'd expect more sillyness particularly from his agent.
Pogba is 27 years old and has only played for two clubs which is a small number among footballers. So I'm curious to know why he doesn't strikes you as someone that stay at one club for too long when Pogba's career isn't even close to show that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pogba is 27 years old and has only played for two clubs which is a small number among footballers. So I'm curious to know why he doesn't strikes you as someone that stay at one club for too long when Pogba's career isn't even close to show that.
He's been at 4 clubs, not 2. He's been here for 4 seasons and was at Juventus for 4 seasons, so actually his career does show that.

Basically the fact that he hasn't stayed at one for longer than he's been here yet and the fact it's been quite obvious for some time that he's wanted to leave. If he wants to stay it would literally have to be because he's changed his mind.

JPRouve

Scout
He's been at 4 clubs, not 2. He's been here for 4 seasons and was at Juventus for 4 seasons, so actually his career does show that.

Basically the fact that he hasn't stayed at one for longer than he's been here yet and the fact it's been quite obvious for some time that he's wanted to leave. If he wants to stay it would literally have to be because he's changed his mind.
Not as a professional, he has played for two clubs. And 4 years is a long time in football.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not as a professional, he has played for two clubs. And 4 years is a long time in football.
You can't count it as not moving clubs just because he came back here.

and I'm not sure what your point is. 4 years is a long time in general. It's not a criticism of him. The fact is he hasn't stayed at a club for longer than that and he's made it fairly clear for a while now that he's wanted to leave United.

If we keep him and he's happy to stay great but I wouldn't say there's much to go on to just presume that's what will happen. Just have to hope everything continues to click at United and all the players including him decide they want to be part of it.

JPRouve

Scout

and I'm not sure what your point is. 4 years is a long time in general. It's not a criticism of him. The fact is he hasn't stayed at a club for longer than that and he's made it fairly clear for a while now that he's wanted to leave United.

If we keep him and he's happy to stay great but I wouldn't say there's much to go on to just presume that's what will happen. Just have to hope everything continues to click at United and all the players including him decide they want to be part of it.
I simply asked you a question because I don't really see how you came to that conclusion. For me what you suggested makes sense for a lot of players that have actually played for more than two clubs by the age of 27, it doesn't apply to someone like Pogba but I guess that you could say that he hasn't stayed more than four years in a club, that's factual.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What’s this speculation based on?

‘he wants to put out good PR that he’s not a disruptive virus‘, so do you think he actually is one?
Because of what SAF said. Because of what Jose said. Because Ole kept him away from the main squad. Because he recovered and played well just before the Xmas transfer window as well. Because he was more interested in haircuts than football. Because of his agent.

I don't trust him

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

He hasn’t made it ‘fairly clear for a while now’ that he wants to leave either. He said he wanted a new challenge last summer and a lot of blanks have been filled in by fans and media since then. Today’s comments are pretty much the first thing he has said since last summer.

glazed

I think we need to take these reports at face value, the same way we did when the murmurs of him wanting to leave first arrived. If he does in fact want to stay it's such good news it would be a shame not to embrace it, especially considering his form.
Believing what you want to be true is a bit of a luxury though, isn't it?

Clermontois

Supports
France

He played for two clubs in his professional career. Who he played kickabouts with or what at academies he played in during his youth, of which United was one, do not count as moving clubs.

Because of what SAF said. Because of what Jose said. Because Ole kept him away from the main squad. Because he recovered and played well just before the Xmas transfer window as well. Because he was more interested in haircuts than football. Because of his agent.

I don't trust him
Ferguson was wrong about a lot of things. Mourinho as well. Ole did what?

Such a personal comment, how do you know what he is interested in...

AFC NimbleThumb

Because of what SAF said.
What Fergie said was how many years ago?

Look at it from Pogba’s perspective, he couldn’t get starts ahead of Rafael in midfield.

We went on to win things, he went on to prosper at Juve.

Because of what Jose said.
Jose said a lot. He also wanted rid of Martial; while saying Martial & Rashford can’t play together.

Remind me who’s starting tonight then get back to me.

People will criticise Jose for everything then use his negative quotes against Pogba; you can’t have it both ways - look at Spurs, Jose isn’t credible.
Because Ole kept him away from the main squad.
When was this? When he was injured?
Because he was more interested in haircuts than football.
Having a haircut then having a poor performance isn’t tied to interest. If you think any footballer is genuinely more interested in a trim than their job then we can’t discuss this in good faith.

Because he recovered and played well just before the Xmas transfer window as well.
He was out from Oct. 2 until Dec. 20 - he was then injured again from Dec. 27

This is the issue with the Anti-Pogba brigade, it’s not actually based on facts.

Criticise him for his performances being disappointing since he joined. That’s fair but the absolute nonsense spouted is ridiculous.
Because of his agent.
You mean the man that brought us Zlatan?

His agent is a gobshite but we knew that when he left & before we signed him.
I don't trust him
I don’t trust Ryan Giggs with my missus but trust really isn’t relevant.

glazed

I don’t trust Ryan Giggs with my missus but trust really isn’t relevant.
Of course these are all opinions, which are like assholes in that we all have them. We will see if he sticks around and then I may be wrong. I don't trust that he wants to play for the club - I think he really wants to play for Madrid or Barca and be a galactico. We will see.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I don't trust him

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's just enjoy him playing well and currently not being the be all and end all of the team.
But instead, like at Juventus, supplementing what is becoming a very good team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Swerved a pretty direct question about his future post-match. Read into that what you will. It could be, and probably is, just a contractual negotiation technique but it doesn't help to silence the doubters

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Believing what you want to be true is a bit of a luxury though, isn't it?
If you don't know something, then always believing the opposite of what you want to be true is actually just pessimism masquerading as realism and it's a common misconception on this forum at times. However, I can tell I don't trust Pogba yet. Hopefully he'll change that. Either way I'm enjoying his football in this moment, he is a maestro.

KingArthuro

Pogba is a fantastic player. I have no problem understanding that he doesnt want to spend his prime in a mediocre United squad. Hopefully we will keep improving and get him to sign a new contract.

Achilles McCool

I’ll be another one that will admit that I was wrong. At the end of last year, I thought all the signs were pointing towards Pogba leaving and not wanting to play for United again.
The turnaround has been been stark, and I admit that I was shortsighted, but when I saw Paul hug Bruno after his goal, I thought, “damn, I hope that means he’s staying!”

Skills

Snitch
He's probably gone and our fan base's treatment of him over the past 2 years, will have played a big role in it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's probably gone and our fan base's treatment of him over the past 2 years, will have played a big role in it.
Having won Serie A, he strikes me as the type that wouldn’t want to leave the PL without adding that to the collection too. Of course, if he’s playing for a team that finishes 5th and 6th then there’s no point hanging about - better to move to the next step and try and win La Liga or Ligue Un or whatever - but I think on a team that can realistically compete for the league, I’m sure he wouldn’t be in a hurry to pass that up. It’s probably frustrating that it’s taken 4 years to get there though.

mancan92

I don't trust him
Is this a wum? Haircuts?

El Zoido

Swerved a pretty direct question about his future post-match. Read into that what you will. It could be, and probably is, just a contractual negotiation technique but it doesn't help to silence the doubters
I don’t think it means anything. He will have known to expect questions about his future, players get media training and it’s standard procedure to remain tight-lipped during contract negotiations. He’ll have been advised to expect the question and to avoid it. I’m not saying it means he’s staying, just that you can’t infer anything from it.

Can you think of an instance where a player admitted he was signing a new contract in an interview, before he signed it? (and Ronaldo’s “I stay” doesn’t count!)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What did he say?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Aye, and Ole refused to say ‘yes, I want to sign Sancho’ in an interview too, which did little to satisfy the muppets.

Champagne Football

I think it's fair to say that Bruno has saved Oles job and is the sole reason Pogba has been transformed from Anelka2 to Viera2. If Pogba signs a new deal, it will amplify even more the importance of the Bruno Fernando's signing.

passing-wind

He's been quality simplified his game but was always effective even when he was being criticised. I find that many fans just have agendas against certain players irrespective of their contribution to the team. I reckon if we get top four I can see him staying. Madrid's midfield is absolutely packed with talent and unsure if he would prefer Barca or another European as a result.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Also said a target is to win the prem with us, which will only happen if he stays.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just don't see him leaving honestly.

Maybe down the road like in 4-5 years(after he signs a new contract), but no one can afford him this summer.

If we're winning and challenging for trophies, why would he leave in 2021?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Something about winning trophies I think.
He avoided saying he was staying. To be honest, I don’t think he has any say in the matter. Also makes no sense for him to sign an extension now either.

if I was him, I’d accept I couldn’t move next season (existing contract and COVID-19 financial effect on other clubs), get my head down and start enjoying playing again, and revisit the situation next summer. That could include him deciding to stay, but no point for him to make that commitment now.

Personally I don’t see him here beyond the existing contract.

Gasolin

He avoided saying he was staying. To be honest, I don’t think he has any say in the matter. Also makes no sense for him to sign an extension now either.

if I was him, I’d accept I couldn’t move next season (existing contract and COVID-19 financial effect on other clubs), get my head down and start enjoying playing again, and revisit the situation next summer. That could include him deciding to stay, but no point for him to make that commitment now.

Personally I don’t see him here beyond the existing contract.
If you want to play, once CL is secured, it's for the team. Just like with Gomes, we don't play players if they do not commit with us. Right now we need him motivated but I can guarantee you Ole is working on that man management. And I think he will sign.

Dante

Average bang
Pogba has deserved a lot of stick for his shenanigans in the last few months. Talking about wanting a new challenge. Wearing the shirt of a club that has expressed interest in buying him. Noticeably putting in less effort when the going got tough under Jose...

But credit where it's due. Comments like these are all I want to hear, and a performance like this is all I want to see: diplomatic after the match and hard working during it.

If he's still expressing a desire to leave behind the scenes, he can go with my blessing (for whatever little that's worth). As long as he does the right things in public in the meantime.

But if he wants to stay, all the better. I'd love a fully committed Pogba at the club. More of this, please.

Crashoutcassius

He's been quality simplified his game but was always effective even when he was being criticised. I find that many fans just have agendas against certain players irrespective of their contribution to the team. I reckon if we get top four I can see him staying. Madrid's midfield is absolutely packed with talent and unsure if he would prefer Barca or another European as a result.
I agree he was effective when he was being criticized but I don't think he was playing to his potential or to justify his wages and I think his attitude was imperfect. Fans on this site think bullying lingard all day every day on social media is cool but pogba shouldn't be criticized in case he gets sad and leaves. He was expensive and is on more money than kdb, fans should be allowed criticize average performances for months at a time. If your point is just that he was still effective when underperforming then it's a fair point though, we were usually better with him than without him

E-mal

Almost like a new signing if true. It means we are not under pressure to replace that skill set in midfield.
Now get Neves/Partey and Grealish, set in midfield with great depth.

RUCK4444

Irreplaceable, unique in his style and mix of attributes. I would be inclined to keep Pogba over signing Sancho if I was forced to choose, that’s how high it would be on my list of priorities.