Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
But no one rates Varane at Ramos' level. Also Varane plays next to Carvajal who is much better defensively than Marcelo. Varane is clueless without Ramos in big games. You remember Juventus' almost comeback scoring 3 goals at the Bernabeu? Ramos was missing that match and Varane had to 'lead' the defence and we saw what happened.

Messi has many doubters saying he only looks good in Barca's system and doesnt perform well for Argentina. Sure people rate them but there are many who also find them overrated.

But let's stick to your example of defenders. Cannavaro got a lot of stick for his defending at Real Madrid, and he was a joke when he returned to Italy later also, he was considered overrated during his time at Inter where he really wasn't at the same level as Parma and later Juventus.

What I'm saying is that "not being rated" is more relevant today due to online forums and social media.

If it was as popular in 2002 I could see the Maldini being overrated posts after he got outjumped by a guy half his size in the 2002 world cup to get Italy knocked out.

There are even people calling Van Dijk overrated on this forum despite his excellence over the last few years.
Ramos being overrated has nothing to do with social media and everything to do with he's just not nearly as good of a defender as people like to think he is. A world class defender doesn't get caught out of position as often as he does and doesn't get the amount of bookings that he does....

youmeletsfly

Ramos being overrated has nothing to do with social media and everything to do with he's just not nearly as good of a defender as people like to think he is. A world class defender doesn't get caught out of position as often as he does and doesn't get the amount of bookings that he does....
A WC defender wins trophies.

Baxter

Been the undisputed first choice for every manager at Madrid and Spain. 170 caps is ridiculous in itself. I’m not sure how you can say he’s overrated? He’s won everything and been a massive part in most, if not all, of those. The best defender over the last 10 years or so

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Been the undisputed first choice for every manager at Madrid and Spain. 170 caps is ridiculous in itself. I’m not sure how you can say he’s overrated? He’s won everything and been a massive part in most, if not all, of those. The best defender over the last 10 years or so
Yes, he's been very good for very long. He has been for the last decade always among the top 3-5 CBs in the world, yet I cannot really define a peak where he would be the absolute best.

I think many rate him fairly as one of the best of his generation, as long as you stay away from instagram pages where 12 year olds will try convince you he's the GOAT.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Another decisive goal for the big man.

A-man

Now this most overrated CB scored his 5th goal in his 7 last games. 10 overall so far in the league. He’s chasing Suarez who has 13.

Revan

Assumptionman
Now this most overrated CB scored his 5th goal in his 7 last games. 10 overall so far in the league. He’s chasing Suarez who has 13.
He is a defender though. Goals scored by defenders are imaginary, they do not count and don’t give an advantage to the team.

Unless of course you are Beckenbauer, Passarella, Koeman etc, in which case they count and you get to be remembered as one of the greatest.

Reactions: Theonas

A-man

He is a defender though. Goals scored by defenders are imaginary, they do not count and don’t give an advantage to the team.

Unless of course you are Beckenbauer, Passarella, Koeman etc, in which case they count and you get to be remembered as one of the greatest.
Haha, exactly!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

They count. It's just not how you define a defender. A defender is defined by his ability to defend. Unfortunately Ramos doesn't do that part all that well...#overrated

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Overrated? Maybe.

Overstated? I'm sure he's been guilty of hyperbole over the years.

Overfellated? I couldn't possibly comment on his personal life.

Overcompensated? I've never seen it so I wouldn't know.

Overgrated? No. He's not cheese.

I believe that answers the OP's question.

Revan

Assumptionman
They count. It's just not how you define a defender. A defender is defined by his ability to defend. Unfortunately Ramos doesn't do that part all that well...#overrated
He does it quite well. Not as well as some other players of the past though (like Vidic or Nesta from this decade). However, he brings to the table over 120 goals (some extremely important ones), which ultimately makes him the better (and greater) player.

So yes, as pure defender I would take a Nesta or VVD or Rio ahead of him. As the overall package though? No fecking way.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's taking a lot of penalties though, that doesn't have much to do with being a center back. Reminds of the days when people used to rate Vermaelen as a great defender, when he started off at Arsenal, because he was scoring goals eventhough his defending was still a bit suspect.

Not that I'm saying Ramos is overrated though, he's not the best defender but as overall package (his great leadership and mentality) he's certainly the best CB of this last decade.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He does it quite well. Not as well as some other players of the past though (like Vidic or Nesta from this decade). However, he brings to the table over 120 goals (some extremely important ones), which ultimately makes him the better (and greater) player.

So yes, as pure defender I would take a Nesta or VVD or Rio ahead of him. As the overall package though? No fecking way.
Which is why I think he should have been a midfielder. He's a fantastic football player. He's just not a very good defender. In fact, i think he's one of the most over rated defenders of all time. Goals scored don't define a defender. Stopping your opponent from scoring does...

Revan

Assumptionman
Which is why I think he should have been a midfielder. He's a fantastic football player. He's just not a very good defender. In fact, i think he's one of the most over rated defenders of all time. Goals scored don't define a defender. Stopping your opponent from scoring does...
He is a great defender IMO. Just not a top 3 or so. But when you add the other contribution, he is the best of this decade and an all time great.

A-man

He's taking a lot of penalties though, that doesn't have much to do with being a center back. Reminds of the days when people used to rate Vermaelen as a great defender, when he started off at Arsenal, because he was scoring goals eventhough his defending was still a bit suspect.

Not that I'm saying Ramos is overrated though, he's not the best defender but as overall package (his great leadership and mentality) he's certainly the best CB of this last decade.
I know, I think 6 of the 10 are penalties.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
The few times he's played as a midfielder, he was awful though. I remember one of the CL matches against Juventus when Modric was injured. Ramos played in midfield and looked terrible.

Much better as a defender imo.

Also, it looks like Real Madrid has one of the best defensive records across any league this season? Only 21 goals conceded? Surely speaks volumes about how good he's been defensively.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The few times he's played as a midfielder, he was awful though. I remember one of the CL matches against Juventus when Modric was injured. Ramos played in midfield and looked terrible.

Much better as a defender imo.

Also, it looks like Real Madrid has one of the best defensive records across any league this season? Only 21 goals conceded? Surely speaks volumes about how good he's been defensively.
Call me old fashioned, but for me, to be considered a world class defenders you have to be fantastic positionally and be a great tackler. But he scores goals so I guess that makes him a great defender some how...

fps

Judging by this thread he’s one of the most underrated centre backs in history.

DoomSlayer

Judging by this thread he’s one of the most underrated centre backs in history.
I agree. :lol: It's actually crazy how much people downplay his abilities. Only a select few in football history have had a better career.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would say it doesn't get any bigger than Champions League and World Cup and I think I am being objective here. Well, unless people give more importance today to things such as head to head records between Real Madrid and Barcelona in the 50s rather than European Cup trophies. In that case I would have to agree with you. But I doubt many people in this forum are aware of that head to head stat.

If we rate defenders based on records vs certain teams at their peaks, (and I say this because Barcelona have been in pretty good shape for most of past seasons since Ramos is a professional footballer), I think nobody is going to look particularly well at the end of the day. Did Manchester with Rio do particularly well stats-wise when Barcelona was in good shape? Well, 3-1 and 2-0 defeats suggest that's not the case.

Now, the question is, has Ramos been good in big games overall in his professional career? Absolutely not. He's been magnificent. I mean if we really made an effort to show every big game with Ramos being stellar we would really be flooding this thread, and users like @adexkola would increment his hate towards him even more. And I don't think that's necessary at this point in time :D
:lol:

We're on the same side now

Andersonson

The thing is, if you put Ramos in Stoke under Pulis, he would be massive there.

He's exellent in the air and he can play in a deep line, if thats the set up. It's the easiest part of being a centre back. Deep line with close connection to the deep midfield. Its defensive and easy. Ryan Shawcross is an example. Many praised him while playing for Stoke.

Put him in a high line defence and he would struggle like hell.

Madrid, with their fullbacks, who are basically wingers leave the CB's in very though position, and sometimes looks like they are out of position, but there actually 2v3 and must take a choice and leave space or a man free.

Playing centreback in a high line is the most difficult position on the pitch and very few centrebacks can do it. Sometimes this makes you look terrible, but your working conditons are horrible.

And he's also a very offensive centreback, going through lines with the ball. I would say he's world class at that. Of course this makes error, but in the long run, its more point gained than lost.

A different kind of CB, but an extremely good one. You dont get 170 caps if you're mediocre or less.

fps

I agree. :lol: It's actually crazy how much people downplay his abilities. Only a select few in football history have had a better career.
You have the best username on here. Yep I think a lot of people don’t understand that the games are only part of what a player brings to a club as well. The way Madrid play he is always going to be in a few dicey situations at the back, more than most clubs, and he does really incredibly in them for the most part. If he was no good he wouldn’t have spent his whole peak career at Real flipping Madrid.

Eddy_JukeZ

Funny how people keep harping on about Ramos' defense when he's been probably the best center back defensively this season.

LVGSdive

I am struggling to see what makes him overrated myself.

He is one of the greatest centre backs of all time.

Statue of Limitations

I don't think it's a case of over-rating him, I think some people dismiss his overall contributions to a degree because he is not a classical defender and gets sent off a lot, relatively speaking.

He is a warrior, a leader and his honours are not easily eclipsed.

I think he has brought a lot to Madrid and Spain, he is a bit of a **** but it's of the type that I would love him for it if he was playing for Utd!

He would make my team of the decade, would be one of the first names there with Ronaldo and Messi.

DoomSlayer

You have the best username on here. Yep I think a lot of people don’t understand that the games are only part of what a player brings to a club as well. The way Madrid play he is always going to be in a few dicey situations at the back, more than most clubs, and he does really incredibly in them for the most part. If he was no good he wouldn’t have spent his whole peak career at Real flipping Madrid.
Haha, thanks mate, don't know if you are being a little bit sarcastic there though. :D

Ramos is probably then greatest Spanish CB of all time. The Spaniards on the Caf can judge better if that's arguable or definite.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Overrated? Maybe.

Overstated? I'm sure he's been guilty of hyperbole over the years.

Overfellated? I couldn't possibly comment on his personal life.

Overcompensated? I've never seen it so I wouldn't know.

Overgrated? No. He's not cheese.

I believe that answers the OP's question.
:D:D:D

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Haha, thanks mate, don't know if you are being a little bit sarcastic there though. :D

Ramos is probably then greatest Spanish CB of all time. The Spaniards on the Caf can judge better if that's arguable or definite.
I mean, no offense to certain people here, but its a bit funny watching United-supporters giving Ramos shit for brainfarts against Barcelona, when the GOAT CB pairing allowed a midget to score a header against them in a CL final, not to mention that he ran circles around said GOAT CB pairing in the next CL-final.

Playing against peak Barcelona ain`t easy, folks.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like he would have been a quality DM... Not that he isn't a quality CB or anything but yeah, think he had the attributes to have excelled further up the pitch too.

The thing is, if you put Ramos in Stoke under Pulis, he would be massive there.
Imagine how many he'd have scored from Rory Delap throws :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think it's a case of over-rating him, I think some people dismiss his overall contributions to a degree because he is not a classical defender and gets sent off a lot, relatively speaking.

He is a warrior, a leader and his honours are not easily eclipsed.

I think he has brought a lot to Madrid and Spain, he is a bit of a **** but it's of the type that I would love him for it if he was playing for Utd!

He would make my team of the decade, would be one of the first names there with Ronaldo and Messi.
Yup, that is his weakest point. To be fair, a lot of that has to do with Spanish referees being weirdos. In Europe, he has been sent off 4 times, while for Spain, he has never been sent off in over 170 matches.

In Spain though, his sent off record is appalling.

Lentwood

World Class. Again, people are confusing defending for a top team and defending for a mediocre/bad team.

Defending is MUCH harder (as an individual) at a top team because you’re exposed. You’re expected to play much higher up the pitch and mark a CF one vs one. You also need to be great on the ball in the modern game.

Compare that with a mediocre team. You get away with defending your penalty box as part of a set back four/five with two holding players ahead of you.

Squeaky Bumtime

Can be erratic and crazy with his yellows and reds but surely one of the best CBs of a generation, in the last 15, 20 years. Surely not overrated, if anything his defending is underrated. And plus he scores goals for fun, shines in big games over and over again.
World class.