Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He’s immense. How some don’t rate him I don’t know. Imagine if we managed to snatch him in 2015? We’d have got 5 years of his excellence at United.
Because people rate him for his goals and not for his defending ability which is average at times.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Because people rate him for his goals and not for his defending ability which is average at times.
People rate him for his overall contribution to a game of football which is ultimately the most important thing in football and it’s second to none. He’s a match winner whether he scores or not. Is there better defenders than him from a purely defensive point of view? Sure.. But overall he’s one of the best ever defenders.

Skills

Snitch
Getting to Koeman and Hierro levels.
They took a lot more set pieces I think. I know he scored a free kick today, but Ramos is a monster in the box from corners and free kicks. To think Madrid had Ronaldo and Ramos in the box attacking for all those years - quite some task to keep both of them quiet.

izec

He is a legend and has won everything there is to win, individually and as a team on every stage. It doesn't matter what some weirdos on the caf think, when his success tells the story and he was overall one of the best CBs around for a decade. He won't win the 'most charming fella on the pitch award', but who cares. It is all about winning, which he has done in spectacular fashion at times.

Paxi

They took a lot more set pieces I think. I know he scored a free kick today, but Ramos is a monster in the box from corners and free kicks. To think Madrid had Ronaldo and Ramos in the box attacking for all those years - quite some task to keep both of them quiet.
Yeah of course. Ramos only started taking set pieces this season on a regular basis.

Eddy_JukeZ

Real's defense has been fairly eh without him this season.

He's had a great defensive season too. Him and Mendy are key to why their defense has been so good in La Liga.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
People rate him for his overall contribution to a game of football which is ultimately the most important thing in football and it’s second to none. He’s a match winner whether he scores or not. Is there better defenders than him from a purely defensive point of view? Sure.. But overall he’s one of the best ever defenders.
I'm seeing people calling him a World Class Defender? He's a great player to have during set pieces but he's not a great defender same way as Mihajlovic wasn't a WC defender but still great to have because he was a set piece expert.

Paxi

I'm seeing people calling him a World Class Defender? He's a great player to have during set pieces but he's not a great defender same way as Mihajlovic wasn't a WC defender but still great to have because he was a set piece expert.
There’s more to Ramos than just defending. He’s literally controlling games from the back at times. Despite him being an absolute mad man who has crazy amount of red cards, he’s actually a very calming influence on the back four and the keeper. That’s not factoring his drive to win at all costs and keep on winning. That’s just part of his mentality that he has with him. He’s not Maldini of course but he’s by no means an average defender. He has been very, very good throughout his career. Add his amazing goal scoring ability and you’ve got yourself a generational footballer — which he clearly is. He hasn’t been a mainstay at Real Madrid for no reason. They’ve had no problems replacing players if they’re not cut out for that level. His achievements in the game do the talking for him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thread makes me laugh every time I see it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Overrated as a defender. He can score a million panenka's, that doesnt change anything. Real winning 3 CL's in a row wasnt because of their unsurmountable defense. It was because of that Portuguese dude up front. As for Spain, we all saw how that went after Xavi and Iniesta got old.

Him and Pique tumbling over each other while Robben shot it past Casillas almost made up for 2010.

Almost..

Ramos is still a world class player of course, but you can be world class and overrated at the same time.

He's like the Heineken of football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Overrated as a defender. He can score a million panenka's, that doesnt change anything. Real winning 3 CL's in a row wasnt because of their unsurmountable defense.
Sergio was the hero in 3 of the 4 CL finals we won recently actually

Righteous Steps

He’s a great defender, but notably Madrid have never had an all time great defence while he’s been there, the goals they concede every season hasn’t been on par with some of the best defences we’ve seen, although it’s been pretty good this season(I think).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I'd argue he's underrated defensively. Not many CBs would be able to cope with some of the situations shown here.

Koeman scored well over double what Ramos is on.
You sure about that mate?

I'm a right Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime who didn't realize @Gio was speaking in terms of their career

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sergio was the hero in 3 of the 4 CL finals we won recently actually
That doesn't fit my narrative though, so, nuh-uh!

Seriously though, yes he's good, but not one of the best defenders ever. He's amassed around a thousand red cards, that alone kind of puts a dampener on your defending prowess.

I obviously also dislike the guy, so I might be a bit biased, but objectivity is boring anyway.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He’s a great defender, but notably Madrid have never had an all time great defence while he’s been there, the goals they concede every season hasn’t been on par with some of the best defences we’ve seen, although it’s been pretty good this season(I think).
They conceded 7 goals in the entirety of the 15-16 CL, which they won. That's pretty darn good imo.

Tel074

Thread makes me laugh every time I see it

I agree . I saw it again and I'm in disbelief everytime I do. Not liking a player is fine but to say he isn't anything special is just hilarious

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Whatever you think of him as a man. That is absolutely crazy! So many goals for a CB/RB Jesus!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I'd argue he's underrated defensively. Not many CBs would be able to cope with some of the situations shown here.

He overtook him in la liga but Koeman scored many goals before , besides Ramos spent years being a right back without contributing as much in attack

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

?

Koeman scored over 200 goals for club and country. Ramos might finish his career with around 100.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They conceded 7 goals in the entirety of the 15-16 CL, which they won. That's pretty darn good imo.
Now do this analysis for every CL/League season

I did this back when I was firmly in the "Ramos is an extremely overrated defender" camp. I can't be arsed to dig it up

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Now do this analysis for every CL/League season

I did this back when I was firmly in the "Ramos is an extremely overrated defender" camp. I can't be arsed to dig it up
Can't really be arsed, was just responding to someone who said he'd never been part of a great defense. If you win the CL and concede 7 goals in 13 matches I'd argue that's pretty fecking good.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
To tease a bit to the overrated camp, what do you think - if we win la liga and beat City - to give him the Ballon d´Or this year? :) A great prize for his career

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Great defender. Best active defender currently. For the chaos that Madrid defence historically been, Yet Ramos still excels, Hardly can any defender survive in Madrid. Cannavaro after winning WPOTY looked very average in Madrid defence

DoomSlayer

To tease a bit to the overrated camp, what do you think - if we win la liga and beat City - to give him the Ballon d´Or this year? :) A great prize for his career
I don't mind and was always a big Ramos fan, even in his RB days. He definitely deserves to go down as one of the best CBs of all time, his stats, accomplishments and playstyle are very unique.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Real's defense has been fairly eh without him this season.

He's had a great defensive season too. Him and Mendy are key to why their defense has been so good in La Liga.
Varane is having his best ever season imo and deserves a lot of the credit too. Plus Valverde in midfield is probably the biggest difference to past years. Ramos is at his usual high level, it's just that it's easier to look better as a defender when you've got more protection and Madrid are more balanced this year than they've been for pretty much the entirity of the last decade.

Ramos is a legend from head to toe. Someone like Pique who has been at the same level or probably even a higher level for most of the past decade will rightly be remembered as the lesser player.

Eddy_JukeZ

Varane is having his best ever season imo and deserves a lot of the credit too. Plus Valverde in midfield is probably the biggest difference to past years. Ramos is at his usual high level, it's just that it's easier to look better as a defender when you've got more protection and Madrid are more balanced this year than they've been for pretty much the entirity of the last decade.

Ramos is a legend from head to toe. Someone like Pique who has been at the same level or probably even a higher level for most of the past decade will rightly be remembered as the lesser player.
Fair point on Valverde. He has been huge for them this season since Modric has waned.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't mind and was always a big Ramos fan, even in his RB days. He definitely deserves to go down as one of the best CBs of all time, his stats, accomplishments and playstyle are very unique.
He really started playing CB with 26/27 years. I wonder what would have happened if He started at 20 years (The record for red cards would be through the roof). Sometimes it seems to me so distant the time in the right back...

DoomSlayer

He really started playing CB with 26/27 years. I wonder what would have happened if He started at 20 years (The record for red cards would be through the roof). Sometimes it seems to me so distant the time in the right back...
Really? I thought it was way earlier, but Ramos is already 34 so it makes sense. Time flies real fast.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I have a suspicion that those who think he is overrated only watch RM now and then, i cant imagine why he would be overrated in the eyes of someone who watch most of their games.

Have you guys seen the RM defence without Ramos the last few years? They are noticably worse, just that fact alone says a lot.