Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

deafepl

I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Baresi
Laporte, Rio, Maldini, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. There were many good defenders in the 90s and 2000s but I'd rather pick them over Ramos who is considered as one of best CB in history based on his honors. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card, it's awful. Edited: Putting Laporte on the list may be too much but I've always rated him so highly and think he is good defenders

Real Madrid has conceded many goals with him but he was lucky that Real Madrid outscored opponents and Ronaldo is scoring a lot and winning trophies, it overshadows his defensive instability.

He may be good on balls and scoring goals from corner/set pieces but was he really good at defending? Can you imagine If Liverpool picked up Ramos instead of VVD, would he improve Liverpool's defense the same way as VVD do?

He got into FIFA FIFPro World XI 9 time and UEFA team 8 times. That got to the point where I think he is officially the most overrated CB in history. In the next 30 years, people would be thinking he's best CB in history because of his honors and trophies.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ramos is declining but he was better than the likes of Van Dijk, Laporte. :lol: Ramos' high-line defending at Real was amazing to see at times.

Renegade81

I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Laporte, Rio, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card.

Real Madrid has conceded many goals with him but he was lucky that Real Madrid outscored opponents and Ronaldo is scoring a lot and winning trophies, it overshadows his defensive instability.

He may be good on balls and scoring goals from corner/set pieces but was he really good at defending? Can you imagine If Liverpool picked up Ramos instead of VVD, would he improve Liverpool's defense the same way as VVD do?

He got into FIFA FIFPro World XI 9 time and UEFA team 8 times. That got to the point where I think he is officially the most overrated CB in history. In the next 30 years, people would be thinking he's best CB in history because of his honors and trophies.

:lol::lol::lol:

Peak Ramos was easily better than all 3 of those. Obviously on the decline now.

RedEric7

Supports
United
An absolute incredible competitor. He has competed at the highest level for well over 10 years now and he has been an integral part of every team he has played in. He has also been a mainstay of each team throughout multiple transitions and managerial changes. Definitely a leader on and off the field. Would love to have him in my team going into any big game. Can't be considered overrated imo

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The fact that ypu mention Laporte and Boateng as one of the best means that he probably isn't.

dove

No, he is a grade A cnut of course but he is a good footballer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What a bizarre thread. Ramos is one the all time greats.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Good defender, could contribute at both ends of the pitch. Would love to see him in the EPL for a season or two before he retires.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not a huge fan either but Madrid have badly missed his leadership last few months, second leg v Ajax obviously and all their inept showings in La Liga games in recent times.

It's the best defender in history posts that seemed to be trending on here a year ago I took exception to.

AJ10

Excessive use of smilies
I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Laporte, Rio, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ramos - 84 goals in 606 appearances for Real Madrid.
Ferdinand - 8 goals in 455 appearances for United.
Vidic - 21 goals in 300 appearances for United.
Pallister - 8 goals in 287 appearances for United.
Bruce - 20 goals in 209 appearances for United.
Terry - 65 goals in 703 appearances for Chelsea.

stats taken from Transfermarkt

Lets be real, Ramos was a decent CB but the amount of goals he scored is ridiculous. Amazing player.

deafepl

The fact that ypu mention Laporte and Boateng as one of the best means that he probably isn't.
Ramos is declining but he was better than the likes of Van Dijk, Laporte. :lol: Ramos' high-line defending at Real was amazing to see at times.
No, he was brilliant at his best.
They weren't best CB, I'm saying I don't see anything special in Ramos as I do with them. Honors he got is is crazy when it was always known Real Madrid's defense is leakly for years and he still gets into the XI team when there's CB that is better than him at the point, he is the like Dani Alves of CB. If he is really good attacking, he gets into the team, that's how it is. I'm not convinced that his defending is world class, he always commits foul, getting yellow/red cards regularly.

Born2Lose

I love the revisionism with Van Dijk on here, I remember starting a thread about signing him in his first season at Southampton and got the usual "he's crap" response.

I like how the OP thinks he knows better than countless managers at Real and Spain over the years though.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Not overrated in my opinion, he's been very good for a number of years. Him at his peak was still a level below the likes of Rio and Terry but Ramos was still a joy to watch (when he wasn't getting sent off!) One of the best ball playing centre halves in the last 10 years.

The likes of VVD and Laporte need to perform at a consistently high level for a number of years before they can be considered as one of the best ever. Greatness doesn't come after one world class season but they are on the right track.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Specifically in terms of defending ability he was nothing special. He also doesn't get criticised nearly enough for disciplinary record, which is pretty horrendous from a professional point of view. Sometimes his red cards seem to get glossed over as a quirk rather than examples of him repeatedly letting his team down due to his inability to control himself. Getting that many red cards in your career is inexcusably stupid.

However, as an overall footballer he was brilliant. Strength, pace, power, ability on the ball, massive goal threat and leadership. There's more to being a centre-back than pure technical defending.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
90s is where it's at for this thread, so many elite defenders around in those times.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Some of you are underrating peak Boateng.
Peak Boateng lasted around the same as peak Johny Evans. He never showed some great form during prolonged period at competition other than Bundesliga.

Siorac

Remember when Vermaelen was talked up as some brilliant defender because he seemed to score from every other corner?

Well, Ramos is a bit like that except much better obviously. Had he not scored a ridiculous amount of goals for a CB he probably wouldn't be considered an all-time great. His actual defending wasn't on a par with the very best.

Also, there's his shocking disciplinary record. He's the most sent-off player in the history of the top five leagues.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That depends. If you go by his trophies and personal awards then yes, but I don't think I've seen anyone who rates him as an all-time great center back like Baresi or Nesta. He was never as good as Rio, Vidic or Terry defensively, but overall as a player he's probably around their level.

That said, he's probably underrated by some (as well as overrated by others) — because his undeniable strengths aren't similar to those of your typical center back. He is quite poor at one on ones but he is fantastic at playing in a high risk high line. When you play in a high line, your mistakes will always be highlighted, and your defensive actions will be usually limited to smart positioning and an occasional interception, which aren't that visible to an untrained eye.

Plus he's definitely a fantastic leader and one of the most decisive defenders in the opposition's box.

Edit: come to think of it, Koeman is a great comparison. An undeniably fantastic center back who was quite poor (probably even worse than Ramos) in textbook defending, which haven't stopped him from winning practically everything (aside from the WC, which Ramos, actually, did). Although Koeman is an even more radical case of this.

Camilo

Wonderful defender, one of the best of all time. A total leader, a total bastard, great. player. Overrated my arse.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
One of the best of all time.

deafepl

Not overrated in my opinion, he's been very good for a number of years. Him at his peak was still a level below the likes of Rio and Terry but Ramos was still a joy to watch (when he wasn't getting sent off!) One of the best ball playing centre halves in the last 10 years.

The likes of VVD and Laporte need to perform at a consistently high level for a number of years before they can be considered as one of the best ever. Greatness doesn't come after one world class season but they are on the right track.

Indeed. I think VVD and Laporte are really good at defending even though they didn't get a chance to perform at consistently high because they weren't at the big club that time but they have chances to do it. Ramos is not closer to them in term of defending. There were many good defenders in 90s and 2000s I'd be picking over Ramos. Hell, I'd pick VVD over Ramos.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
25 red cards in his career :lol:
He deserves a trophy just for that
Most carded player in the history of Real Madrid, La Liga, El Clasico games, the CL, all major European leagues and the Spanish national team.