Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

Tostao_80

Ramos wouldn’t even be booked anywhere near as much if he got the same protection as Terry or Godin.

Most of the goals conceded by Real Madrid are because of their playing style. Both fullbacks love to bomb forward and so do their midfielders, but half the time they are too lazy to run back (this is especially true in La Liga) which leaves Real Madrid’s defence so exposed.
What midfielders at Real bomb forward? Casrmiro? Kroos, Luka? If so, what are their goal stats for the last 4 years? They dont or didnt bomb forward in the fashion you say. Barca over the same period have been just as cavalier and susceptible down the wings, how have they conceded less than Real?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What midfielders at Real bomb forward? Casrmiro? Kroos, Luka? If so, what are their goal stats for the last 4 years? They dont or didnt bomb forward in the fashion you say. Barca over the same period have been just as cavalier and susceptible down the wings, how have they conceded less than Real?
They press a lot better. Before they had MSN too which scared opponents on an unprecedented level. Last two seasons, better pressing, Ter Stegen and luck. They also always have had a faster midfield than us, better able to recover. Alba is a better defender than Marcelo, too

Tostao_80

They press a lot better. Before they had MSN too which scared opponents on an unprecedented level. Last two seasons, better pressing, Ter Stegen and luck. They also always have had a faster midfield than us, better able to recover. Alba is a better defender than Marcelo, too
Lets be honest here. Barcas midfield has been Busi, Rakitic, Artur or Vidal (Iniesta before them). That is a really slow midfield. Modric and Casemiro alone are quicker than that lot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lets be honest here. Barcas midfield has been Busi, Rakitic, Artur or Vidal (Iniesta before them). That is a really slow midfield. Modric and Casemiro alone are quicker than that lot.
Casemiro, yes, Modric nope. But the point is barcelona have just been better defensively as a team. (In the last 3 years, only marginally so to be fair. It's mostly been Ter Stegen and luck)

Tostao_80

Casemiro, yes, Modric nope. But the point is barcelona have just been better defensively as a team. (In the last 3 years, only marginally so to be fair. It's mostly been Ter Stegen and luck)
Right, so it's the team as a unit, Ter Stegen and luck? Nothing to do with Pique being great (esp season just gone). But you'll give Ramos credit for Reals even more shaky defense. Makes sense.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Right, so it's the team as a unit, Ter Stegen and luck? Nothing to do with Pique being great (esp season just gone). But you'll give Ramos credit for Reals even more shaky defense. Makes sense.
Pique was and generally is indeed great. But if you think our defensive record is poor because of one player, do i have a bridge to sell you

Btw, barcelona conceded 10 fewer goals than us this season. Most of that was indeed down to Ter Stegen

billybee99

Ramos - 84 goals in 606 appearances for Real Madrid.
Ferdinand - 8 goals in 455 appearances for United.
Vidic - 21 goals in 300 appearances for United.
Pallister - 8 goals in 287 appearances for United.
Bruce - 20 goals in 209 appearances for United.
Terry - 65 goals in 703 appearances for Chelsea.

stats taken from Transfermarkt

Lets be real, Ramos was a decent CB but the amount of goals he scored is ridiculous. Amazing player.
Jesus. That's impressive. He probably has a higher goals per game rate than Lingard.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Lets be real, Ramos was a decent CB but the amount of goals he scored is ridiculous. Amazing player.
Ramos: 0.13 goals per appearance
Rio: 0.018 goals per appearance
Vidic: 0.07 goals per appearance
Pallister: 0.028 goals per appearance
Bruce: 0.096 goals per appearance
Terry: 0.092 goals per appearance

How many penalties did Ramos take? I bet if you take those out the gap between him and the likes of Vidic/Terry decrease. I know Bruce took some penalties.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ramos: 0.13 goals per appearance
Rio: 0.018 goals per appearance
Vidic: 0.07 goals per appearance
Pallister: 0.028 goals per appearance
Bruce: 0.096 goals per appearance
Terry: 0.092 goals per appearance

How many penalties did Ramos take? I bet if you take those out the gap between him and the likes of Vidic/Terry decrease. I know Bruce took some penalties.
Ramos scored the 2d most important goal in the history of the club and probably-in the same scenario- would have scored the penalty that Terry missed,and with a Panenka! :D

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Impressive. Although he's still some way off Ronald Koeman - 239 goals in 685 appearances - and Daniel Passarella - who had a 1 in 3 ratio through his club and international career, scoring 175 in total.

Koeman's record is incredible really, many top strikers don't score that many.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
So you agree that in order to be a top defender these days, you need to be a good footballer and a good defender, not just a good footballer right? Ok, cool.

La Liga goals conceded by Madrid

2018-19: 46 (!!!!)
2017-18: 44 (!!!)
2016-17: 41
2015-16: 34
2014-15: 38
2013-14: 38

CL goals conceded by Madrid

2018-19: 10
2017-18: 16
2016-17: 18
2015-16: 6 (I had to double check this to make sure it wasn't a typo! They faced PSG, Shakhtar Donetsk and Malmo in the GS, and Roma, Wolfsburg, Manchester City and Atletico in the knockout round. Fair enough for this season)
2014-15: 9
2013-14: 10

These numbers are scary for a top flight side.
Put prime Baresi in there, and it might be like 3 fewer conceded, but 5 fewer (and 1 season defining goal) scored in each season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When it comes to the technical aspects of defending then Terry was better and by a fairly comfortable margin. But then as I’ve just suggested above, there’s more to contribution than the technicalities.

Really, there’s two separate discussions to be had when it comes to Ramos. One to discuss the technical side of things, and another to discuss his obvious impact and greatness.
Actually when I think of Ramos, John Terry has very similar qualities. Obviously a very good defender but there were a few ways you could expose him, Chelsea trying a high line with him in the back 4 never worked.

Yet it was other qualities shown by Terry, the incredible leadership and also scored loads of big goals for Chelsea which Ramos has of course done aswell.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
Football is about winning games, so the question is fairly simple :
You are playing the UCL Final, would you rather have peak VVD/Laporte/Boateng/Pique or peak Ramos in your team ?

If you answer honestly, you would never pick someone else than Ramos, in regards of his past achievements.

On pure defensive skills he might be a bit below them, but as a complete player he is far above them !

Last edited by a moderator:

reddevilchennai

I think Van Djik is the most overrated CB ever. He is the best in PL now but the hype which is given to him is too much.The pool fans and the pundits came with bizzare stats like never dribbled past for so many minutes etc.
And these pool fans have gone now to an extent to say that Vidic is poor man's Lovren and Van Djik is the best ever PL defender.

MrEleson

One of the most influential captains & defenders ever. An absolute juggernaut of an opponent to face when he's fully focused. Supremely decorated at both club and international level. Has had immense longevity at the highest level.

Yeah he's overrated..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Overrated? He is nothing short of phenomenal.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
His tattoo of a mouth in his neck is also dumb. And he has shite hair.

And why do keepers keep falling for his panenkas. He does them 100% of the time. Stop falling over useless penguins.

Im totally objective.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's overated because people don't even judge him by his defending skills

RooneyLegend

Not sure how this is even a question. The man is a mess of a defender. Always was and always has been. He barely thinks at the back yet some swear hes one of the greatest ever. It's comical really.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He's overated because people don't even judge him by his defending skills
Ramos is a GOAT tier defender at champions league level. Real Madrid would have never won 4 UCL in 5 years if not for his performances.

Real lost 1-4 at home when he was absent.

Ramos has delivered more great defensive performances in Europe than the likes of Vidic, Rio, Terry, VVD etc.. ever have.

GifLord

Ramos is a GOAT tier defender at champions league level. Real Madrid would have never won 4 UCL in 5 years if not for his performances.

Real lost 1-4 at home when he was absent.

Ramos has delivered more great defensive performances in Europe than the likes of Vidic, Rio, Terry, VVD etc.. ever have.
yup had nothing to do with Real having an All Star squad

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Haha, divides opinion. I'm in the he's an all time great camp.

RUCK4444

WTF? People are questioning Sergio's quality?

I tell you now the only reason this is in question is because a LOT of people hate him and cannot stand the sight of him.

I, like most, dislike Real Madrid as a club however I have always admired Ramos. He is a complete leader, a HUGE influence on his team mates, a winner, a player that embodies more than his single position on the pitch.

The simple thing to ask yourself is, how on earth would he have won that many trophies and more importantly how would Real Madrid have won so many trophies and put up with him if he were even remotely a substandard centre back? It's an unforgiving position and one that no club allows passengers in, least of all Madrid.

GifLord

WTF? People are questioning Sergio's quality?

I tell you now the only reason this is in question is because a LOT of people hate him and cannot stand the sight of him.

I, like most, dislike Real Madrid as a club however I have always admired Ramos. He is a complete leader, a HUGE influence on his team mates, a winner, a player that embodies more than his single position on the pitch.

The simple thing to ask yourself is, how on earth would he have won that many trophies and more importantly how would Real Madrid have won so many trophies and put up with him if he were even remotely a substandard centre back? It's an unforgiving position and one that no club allows passengers in, least of all Madrid.
And this is what i'm talking about

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you dont understand football, maybe.