Is Rashford better than the likes of Saint Maximin?

wolvored

For me it is. Because he has come back in a period where not a single player except De Gea is on form.

People are just expecting Rashford to perform by himself when everyone is getting blamed at for being cack.
That doesnt make sense. So if everyones off form then Rashford has to play off form, but then you say De Gea is on form, so why cant Rashford play on form, even if the others dont? The truth is he hasnt performed well for ages, regardless of whether others have played well or not. Its on himself and the coaches to improve his form.

united for life

Rash and lingard have a level of their own.

I can't believe people say he is good on the left when we have had legends like Giggs play there.

Rash is not a winger or a striker. He is another one of this I can do a bit of everything but good at nothing footballers who constantly fail. I would seriously take maximan ahead of rash
that’s a bit harsh mate

Andersons Dietician

Slightly verging off topic but similar theme but when we were linked with Werner a month ago I had the usual reaction of absolute BS, but then it got me thinking. Arguably his best position is the same as Rashfords, so then I started asking myself would I rather Werner than Rashford. And honestly I think I would.

I know he gets so much stick for a lack of goal scoring and looking like he couldn’t hit a barn but on the odd occasion I watched Chelsea last season to me his workrate, effort and runs were essential to what they were doing. So some might just look at goal return and say he’s a scrubber but his overal contribution to the team was good and honestly I’d much rather have that. Than what Rashford has been showing for the last 2-3 years.

Still believe he can become a much better player but his time is running out and there just doesn’t seem to be any signs of development whatsoever.

SER19

Absolutely not. I used to think he'd become a serious talent and among the best. He'd struggle to start in most top 10 clubs

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would you rather have this version of Rashford for a season or a 22 year old Danny welbeck
This version of Rashford has already got a higher career total than Welbeck and there's a 7 year age gap. Welbeck was just shit, he was shit when he was with us and he was shit after he left.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Rashford is on a whole other level. One good match against us and this thread is made? FFS
You've missed the point. ASM was just an example of a player that is ok most weeks then turns it on every 5 games or so. I've not seen Rashford play that well in a long long time so does he not fall into the same bracket? ASM himself has had a few games against us where he has been a problem but in a much inferior team and it hasn't made enough difference. Same for players like Traore at Wolves.

pocco

loco
I remember getting panned three years ago on this forum for saying it was ridiculous to suggest Rashford was on Mbappe's level

Then two years ago, I was getting panned for saying it was ridiculous to suggest Rashford was on the Rooney/Ronaldo trajectory at the same age

Then last year, I was panned for suggesting Rashford wasn't an elite player, with all the usual posters coming out en-masse to blame injuries, poor coaching, being played out of position etc...

Now there's a thread open comparing him to mediocre players in the division and most agree that's been about his level for a long time now.

It's refreshing. I compared it to "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome for many years. It seems like the "Emperor" is now finally "in the altogether" and the unpopular opinion is to state that he should be starting.

Why am I gloating? Well, first of all, I wouldn't take pleasure in being right (again) if it wasn't for the dogs abuse I got off the NuFootball/FIFA crowd.

Secondly, it's part of where we go wrong at United. We refuse to see the deficiencies until it's too late. I have seen it happen so many times down the years. We cling on to excuses about being played out of position, bad coaching/management, playing with injuries, teammates not on same level etc....usually the simplest explanation is correct...if a player turns in average performances over and over again, likelihood is, that is probably their true level!

Anyway...I'm not saying Rashford is useless. He isn't. We can still turn him into a direct, aggressive, goalscoring forward...but not if he can't drop the attitude/ego and go back to the real basics, the basics that saw him show his best ever form for United in the first 6-months of his professional career. No more flicks, no more showboating, no more constantly stopping and squaring up defenders, no more walking about the pitch, no more throwing his arms around. Needs a good spell out the team and then one last chance to reset and earn his place in the side
Well said. I've felt the same about him for a long time, he seems to have let the fame and hype go to his head because when he first came through with exuberance, work rate and an all round better attitude, I felt much better about him as a player. I just think his attitude stinks and he's not anywhere near as good as he thinks. The club have also built him up to be a major figure for us before he ever proved himself or achieved anything.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Posted a few weeks ago, I just don't understand. He plays like someone that hates football. He has so much talent too. I would have thought a manager like Ole would be perfect for Marcus, not quite sure how Ralf will handle him.

The only tiny straw I'm holding onto is that he hasn't really been used as the LWF in a front 3 for quite a while - which is where he really looked the business. Because as easy as it is to forget, there was a time he was one of the most exciting talents in world football.

Roane

Rashford reminds me of Adnan. Where he tore it up for a bit but then fell back.

Both players suited a counter attack format but struggled to play as a team.

For me it's simple.n these players simply didnt get the development they deserved due to how our club has been since SAF.

stevoc

To be fair I don't mind the question if talking about both players as they are currently. There are serious doubts for me on Rashford because he's never been the same since that back injury, and it's been a long enough time period that he hasn't had that same explosiveness in his game at this point.
I know the back injury was back in 2020 but he played pretty much all of last season with multiple injuries including a pretty serious shoulder injury. He only returned from that injury 2 months ago to be fair. In that time the rest of the team have been in diabolical form, there's been change of manager and he's now being asked to play in a different position and formation.

So it's hardly surprising his form is poor right now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

For me it's simple.n these players eimplubdidjt get the development they deserved due to how our club has been since SAF.
Gesundheit.

croadyman

For me it's simple.n these players simply didnt get the development they deserved due to how our club has been since SAF.
Yeah I can see that comparison

Crashoutcassius

Rashford wluld have a lot more joy at Newcastle where he will often get space to attack. We are getting crowded out too easily for months now and it isn't helping any of our players look good

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He needs to play in a midtable team where his 3/10 success rate at basic football skills would be acceptable

kerryman

He needs to play in a midtable team where his 3/10 success rate at basic football skills would be acceptable
Been saying for years that he's way over-rated, mostly because he's an academy graduate. If he played for any other club our fans wouldn't have any interest in Utd buying him and would rightly say he's bang average.

Jackal981

Been saying for years that he's way over-rated, mostly because he's an academy graduate. If he played for any other club our fans wouldn't have any interest in Utd buying him and would rightly say he's bang average.
He's just Walcott with better shooting (even right now that has gone). When his speed decline even more with age and injuries he would be useless and done as a top flight footballer.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's been average for quite a while now. At first it was because he was carrying an injury. He's had the surgery, he's recovered for quite some time now but he's still playing badly.

I think he's a decent player but beyond his pace he is quite limited. Can't dribble, can't cross, shooting is a bit hit and miss and actually since his surgery is isn't that quick anymore. I also think his off field work, whilst highly commendable, is interfering with his football despite his camp refuting it.

The op asked whether rashford is better than Saint maxinin. Clearly on current form the answer is no. Just ask Newcastle fans whether they would swap the 2 players. I'd go as far as saying that on current form, he's not any better than Bowen from West ham.

Zlatattack

Our fans are pathetic. Rashford played most of last season carrying injuries and he started this season out for 2 months with major surgery. He's not been able to find form since his return and you lot are comparing him to a donkey who's scored 26 goals in his entire career - for some perspective, Rashford scored 21 in his "shit" last season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Our fans are pathetic. Rashford played most of last season carrying injuries and he started this season out for 2 months with major surgery. He's not been able to find form since his return and you lot are comparing him to a donkey who's scored 26 goals in his entire career - for some perspective, Rashford scored 21 in his "shit" last season.
Holy crap - is that all Saint Maximin has scored :lol:

And our fans make a thread about this :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is a trait in Manchester United fans for decades. Anyone who has half a decent game against us is considered a demi-god.
And at the same time anyone that plays for us wouldn't get in to a top 10 team or some crap in their head. Then a player like Lingard goes and destroys teams with West Ham just to show that they were wrong, looking better when playing for such clubs than they did with us.

pocco

loco
Holy crap - is that all Saint Maximin has scored :lol:

And our fans make a thread about this :lol:
This is a trait in Manchester United fans for decades. Anyone who has half a decent game against us is considered a demi-god.
Firstly, Saint Maximin was an example. Read the title..."the likes of...". This was a thread more about consistency and overall impact over a season.

Secondly, let's not pretend Rashford is a goalscoring god, which as an inside forward type player that doesn't assist much is his main output still. This season 3 in 13. Last season 21 in 57...ok stats but not exactly groundbreaking.

Mcking

Club career

Saint-Maximin
223 apps
59 goals+assists

Rashford
286 apps
150 goals+assists

According to transfermarkt. Few can match Saint-Maximin's dribbling, but he doesn't even come close to Rashford overall. Rashford is just out of form.

Zlatattack

Firstly, Saint Maximin was an example. Read the title..."the likes of...". This was a thread more about consistency and overall impact over a season.

Secondly, let's not pretend Rashford is a goalscoring god, which as an inside forward type player that doesn't assist much is his main output still. This season 3 in 13. Last season 21 in 57...ok stats but not exactly groundbreaking.
So why compare him to the likes of dog poo? It's clearly a thread to slag him off. In the last 2 seasons he's averaged around a goal every 2 games, which is pretty standard for a striker.

stevoc

Doesn't rashford have like 25-30 assists in the last two seasons?

How many assists do you think he should be producing every season?

Mcking

That's rubbish. When you have 60 career goals+assists in 200+ appearances with your teams fighting relegation and finishing midtable most seasons, you haven't been impacting shit as a forward. The likes of him haven't been impacting shit either. Don't compare that to one of the best players of one of the best teams in the English Premier League.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I know the back injury was back in 2020 but he played pretty much all of last season with multiple injuries including a pretty serious shoulder injury. He only returned from that injury 2 months ago to be fair. In that time the rest of the team have been in diabolical form, there's been change of manager and he's now being asked to play in a different position and formation.

So it's hardly surprising his form is poor right now.
I mean 2 months after a return for a shoulder injury is more than enough, and I was more referencing his back. It was speculated at the time that it could be an injury that hampers him chronically, and this poor form isn't just lacking finishing or a final ball. It's a complete lack of the explosiveness that used to make him so dangerous, which then puts stress on the weaker more technical parts of his game

stevoc

I mean 2 months after a return for a shoulder injury is more than enough, and I was more referencing his back. It was speculated at the time that it could be an injury that hampers him chronically, and this poor form isn't just lacking finishing or a final ball. It's a complete lack of the explosiveness that used to make him so dangerous, which then puts stress on the weaker more technical parts of his game
I've no idea if the back is still bothering him but he was very good at times towards the end of the 19/20 season and last season post his back injury so if I had to bet his current poor form isn't due to his back.

I think it's a combination of the things I mentioned. Still looking for full match fitness/sharpness, playing in an underperforming team and adjusting to new formation/positions.

Let's be honest no one in the team is really pulling up trees at the minute so I'd give Rashford the benefit of the doubt until the end of January.

Jackal981

That's rubbish. When you have 60 career goals+assists in 200+ appearances with your teams fighting relegation and finishing midtable most seasons, you haven't been impacting shit as a forward. The likes of him haven't been impacting shit either. Don't compare that to one of the best players of one of the best teams in the English Premier League.
Who is that ? Seriously.

VictoriaRed

On his day, no, he's much better. I'm getting tired of watching Rashford dribble into 4 players and then give it away. He will never understand when to pass and when to keep dribbling. So frustrating because he can be soooooo good. He will never get it, unfortunately. Good lad though.