Is Rory Delap a Premier League legend?!...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I mean, a nothing footballer I know. I couldn’t even really tell you what his position was on the football pitch. But still, relative to his ability, he’s one of the PL more widely known footballers. Literally almost everyone knows Delap. His name regularly comes up in football conversation to this day. I know it’s a ridiculous question to ask, he played for Derby and Stoke, but he carved out a little niche for himself that has meant his name has and will live on.

He is famed for his long throws, but whatever the reason - ‘he is famed’.

I present to you Rory Delap - legend of the Premier League!

DVG7

Woke up this morning thinking the same thing

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
More cult hero than legend.

And in all seriousness, what position did he actually play because I can't for the life of me remember.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

And in all seriousness, what position did he actually play because I can't for the life of me remember.
Think he played a combination of centre mid and full back. I suspect he was just shoved into the team where he could do the least damage just so that he can throw the ball.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

He was very versatile, could play several positions in their 8-1-0-0-1 formation.

lysglimt

Scout
a talented Javeline-thrower in his youth - now that could actually explain something.

FujiVice

For a while there, he was one of the most feared players in the Premiership. Genuinely. Defenders shit themselves when Stoke got a throw in.

He also knocked himself out in a game for Sunderland by slipping over, so there's always a counter argument.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was he any good other than throw ins?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A memory of the bad old days of Stoke and Pulis.
Doubt anyone was upset to see them forever disappear downwards.

Andersonson

Think he played a combination of centre mid and full back. I suspect he was just shoved into the team where he could do the least damage just so that he can throw the ball.
He got 9 seasons in the premier league..

That says it all really, he was a decent footballer.

People can only reminder his throw-ins so he must be shit....

You dont play 9 seasons in the premier league without being a decent footballer

Acole9

Outstanding
Legend is not enough, he's probably the greatest player we've seen in the Premier League.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If he is then surely Morten Gamst Pederson, David Bently, Jermanie Defoe, Darren Bent and Peter Crouch are too?
I mean, if Rory Delap was all 6 people at the same time, then yes, him being a legend would by default make them legends too. They aren’t however, the same people, so are entirely unconnected and need to stage their own cases in their own right.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Early on in a game between Stoke and Hull City, the goalie chose to concede a corner over knocking the ball out for a throw-in.

Rory Delap is a legend and I'll fight anyone who disagrees

El Jefe

I mean, a nothing footballer I know. I couldn’t even really tell you what his position was on the football pitch. But still, relative to his ability, he’s one of the PL more widely known footballers. Literally almost everyone knows Delap. His name regularly comes up in football conversation to this day. I know it’s a ridiculous question to ask, he played for Derby and Stoke, but he carved out a little niche for himself that has meant his name has and will live on.

He is famed for his long throws, but whatever the reason - ‘he is famed’.

I present to you Rory Delap - legend of the Premier League!

Watching that video just reminded me how happy I am that both Stoke and Tony Pulis are no longer in the PL. Horrible set of fans and the biggest eyesore of a team to play in the league. It was effective but absolutely horrid to watch.

If a player summed up that Stoke team it'll either be Delap or Jon Walters.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Refs allowing them to waste that much time on throw ins was ridiculous and could only happen in the PL.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Didn't he used to wear a toweled undershirt to dry the ball with as well?

We'll never see his ilk again.

Monkey bus

Anybody who can throw a ball like he could whilst lending his name to going to the toilet as in ‘I’m off for a Rory Delap’ deserves to sit in the pantheon of premier league legends for me.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He was unique for what he did. Nobody else could do it as consistently as he did so in his own niche way yes I’d say he’s a legend.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember Wenger tried to prevent him from having access to towels to dry off the ball. Wenger absolutely hated him and Stoke - it was hilarious.

Le Red

One day I might forget everything I've ever seen about Stoke City except for Rory Delap's throws.
He's one of these guys that make something different and special, and on top of that it was actually effective, against common sense.
His long throws will always be among my greatest memory of football and I'll definitely show this clip to my kid.
In fact, Stoke City should have a statue of him doing a free throw outside their stadium.

Jordan_mufc

Remember him quite clearly, was a thorn in Arsenal's side.

Bit of a tangent but was he the one that went ballistic at a linesman one time and got sent off?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It’s remarkable that it’s never been copied to quite such effect, even though it’s clearly a potent weapon