Is Rory Delap a Premier League legend?!...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why not? Look at some of the cnuts who get knighted! Sir Jimmy Saville?

It's all about what you think makes a "legend" at the end of the day.

In my opinion there's more to being a legend of the Premier League than just being good at football.
Indeed. Like, outside of the PL, Adebayo Akinfenwa is comfortably the most marketable player in the land. More than anyone in the league above him (Championship). And he’s probably more marketable than half the PL players too. As a footballer, he’s floated between League One and Two his whole career. His legend comes from being built like a wrestler.

paulscholes18

Of cause he’s a legend

Yashin
Cafu Beckenbauer Moore Carols
Delap Matthaus
Best Messi C.Ronaldo
Eusebio

Rory Delap doesn’t look out of place at all

freeurmind

weak willed
You're right. I just read the rules, if it goes straight in, it'd be a corner to Stoke, and I'm assuming that if it takes even the slightest deflection off a defender or the goalkeeper, then it's a goal. One of the ones in the video skimmed off Jagielka's head and in for an own goal (though in ordinary circumstances, it wouldn't be an own goal as the effort was on target. I'm not sure how that gets awarded actually.)

The lack of offside at throw-ins really does make them dangerous. Harder to exploit with an indirect free kick I suppose.
When I played youth football, I played at left-back and they guy who played left wing would just take off springting down the line and I'd launch it to him, knowing there was no offside.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We coped with them well aswell, never conceded from one but we did let him actually score with his feet instead:lol:
Yeah Chelsea had the physicality to cope unlike Arsenal. Terry, Ballack, Drogba etc so plenty of height to cope with the long balls and also Essien a beast in midfield around that time.

Do remember Jon Walters destroying David Luiz for a goal around that time though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why exactly were his throw ins particularly difficult to defend against? Teams aren't that scared of corners or even crosses. Is it to do with the ball coming in from a higher position?
Most long throwers loop the ball into the box so really if you have your CBs at the near post, most can head it away. With those throw ins you need a player to win the first flick on and then someone else can head it in from six yard box.

With Delap he'd hurl them in at a ridiculous and flat pace. Look at the goals in the video, all it requires is a slight flick off a Stoke head and the keeper has little chance of reacting in time.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Actually thinking about it I'm pretty sure at Old Trafford you moved the ad boards a bit so it meant he could barely have a run up and had to throw from basically a standing position.
Surely not necessary? I'm sure I remember back at the time that it was generally agreed United's advantage against Delap's throws was the massive slope and then brickwork cliff which surrounds the pitch. No run-ups possible.
As a side note, amazing that has never been changed somehow, and amazing it hasn't yet caused a genuine injury.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Surely not necessary? I'm sure I remember back at the time that it was generally agreed United's advantage against Delap's throws was the massive slope and then brickwork cliff which surrounds the pitch. No run-ups possible.
As a side note, amazing that has never been changed somehow, and amazing it hasn't yet caused a genuine injury.
Aye I've winced seeing some of our players glide down that slope.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Crazy to think someone could be a pro footballer in one of the world's top leagues and he is famous entirely for having big triceps. :lol:

kidbob

Funnily enough, when he first started doing this for Stoke, I remember Derby fans asking where the hell it came from, because he wasn't known at all for his throw ins there.

I remember that, teams were falling over themselves trying to think of a solution to the long throw threat, and that's what they came up with.

Mind you, similarly, when we had Bosnich in goal I always thought it would be better for him to just tap the ball out for an opposition corner rather than try his utterly calamitous kicking. That man was incapable of controlling a football without his hands.
The Irish set up knew all about his long throws but he wasn't allowed use them due to out total football philosophy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Any excuse

kidbob

In all honesty I was wondering why I didn't remember him doing this for Ireland and just found out he only has 11 caps. I thought he was closer to 40 for some reason.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In all honesty I was wondering why I didn't remember him doing this for Ireland and just found out he only has 11 caps. I thought he was closer to 40 for some reason.
To be fair, that sort of stuff has no place in international football!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His long throw-ins aren't special in and of themselves. A lot of players can do them, it's just not something PL clubs were used to utilizing because it's only something you'd do if you are unlikely to create anything from open play. Stoke being a PL club could create something from open play but Pulis focused entirely on set pieces such as this and it somewhat worked, mostly because teams were unprepared to defend against it. I've grown up watching these kind of throw-ins as football in Iceland isn't always the best and there people really take advantage of every situation, plus a lot of players grew up also playing handball and/or basketball so throwing a ball is second nature.

13 seasons in the PL for 4 different clubs should put him in legend status aside from the throw-ins. He was a decent player when he was younger, seemed to recall him being good against us when he was playing for Derby.

Pagh Wraith

Tony Pulis on rattling Arsenal, Rory Delap & baseball caps

[..]
Perhaps nothing encapsulates the Pulis era at Stoke better than the image of a titanic centre-half heading in one of midfielder Rory Delap's long throws.

Arsenal, in particular, could not deal with the direct approach, losing five out of eight games in Staffordshire between 2008 and 2014.

Long-serving Gunners manager Arsene Wenger was not a fan, saying: "You cannot say it is football any more. It is more rugby on the goalkeepers than football."

You won't be surprised to hear such complaints were music to Pulis' ears.

"I always want angles to get players motivated, to put fire into their bellies and something for the supporters to feed off," he said.

"When Wenger first said it, called us a rugby team, it was the third time on the bounce we had beaten them at home. He was avoiding the question of how could a team with much less talent than Arsenal, who don't spend anywhere near as much as Arsenal, who haven't got the facilities and capabilities of Arsenal, keep beating Arsenal.

"[Former Arsenal captain] Patrick Vieira told me: 'We used to hate going to Stoke. You were the only club that Wenger actually talked about and worked on before. We just couldn't beat you.'

"Wenger came one year and complained about the grass being too long. He wrote a letter to the FA. The referees and the linesmen had to come and measure the grass. I know he talked about banning throw-ins and saying they shouldn't be allowed. That was all music to our ears.

"We only found out Rory Delap could throw the ball like that when the lads had a competition. He picked it up and hurled it to the back post. I'd never seen anything like it. He threw it flat.

"We pulled him to one side and asked him and it turned out he was javelin champion at school. It just went from there. We used it as a wonderful weapon. We stumbled on it. Liverpool now have a throw-in coach - when we were using Rory we were getting dogs' abuse.

"As soon as I saw him throw it I thought, every time we get up the pitch we'll use that. It's like having eight or nine extra corners a game.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52732263

Wenger :lol:

GeorgieBoy

Forgot who it was against but Stoke were playing and the keeper found himself getting closed down outside the box.

You could see him stutter as he didn’t know whether to kick it out for a corner or thrown in.
He eventually kicked it for a corner as he’d assumed it was the lesser of two evils with Delap on the pitch! :lol:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Forgot who it was against but Stoke were playing and the keeper found himself getting closed down outside the box.

You could see him stutter as he didn’t know whether to kick it out for a corner or thrown in.
He eventually kicked it for a corner as he’d assumed it was the lesser of two evils with Delap on the pitch! :lol:
Boaz Myhill I think.

mshnsh

He certainly could do it on a cold wet night in stoke. That makes him a football legend not just a premier league legend.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Am I the only one who remembers this from Delap?

Damn. His throw-ins have taken the shine away from his undeniably average PL career and the one glorious footballing moment.
I seem to remember him as a completely different player for Southampton than he was for Stoke. During his time there, especially when they were doing pretty well under Strachan, I seem to remember him as a talented midfielder who scored the stunning goal in that video and also produced nice pieces of skill, passes, linked up well with Anders Svensson in midfield etc. I seem to recall him nearly scoring from an amazing solo run during that period. I thought he was unlucky not to be named in Ireland's 2002 World Cup squad. The number of goals that Southampton scored from this throw-ins could probably be counted on one hand.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was the thing of Wenger in his later years. He'd cry about going to Stoke pre match, often lose and then would cry about it post match. Likes of SAF and Ancelotti would just get on with things and pick up a result.

Arsenal were also very lightweight in key areas. No way would Stoke have bullied an Arsenal team with Keown, Adams, Vieria and Petit in it because they'd have been up for the scrap.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I seem to remember him as a completely different player for Southampton than he was for Stoke. During his time there, especially when they were doing pretty well under Strachan, I seem to remember him as a talented midfielder who scored the stunning goal in that video and also produced nice pieces of skill, passes, linked up well with Anders Svensson in midfield etc. I seem to recall him nearly scoring from an amazing solo run during that period. I thought he was unlucky not to be named in Ireland's 2002 World Cup squad. The number of goals that Southampton scored from this throw-ins could probably be counted on one hand.
Yeah Pulis claims in that podcast they only realised Delap could throw it javelin style when they were practising throw ins in training so he wasn't signed for it nor was it ever really deployed when he played for likes of Southampton and Derby.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Yeah Pulis claims in that podcast they only realised Delap could throw it javelin style when they were practising throw ins in training so he wasn't signed for it nor was it ever really deployed when he played for likes of Southampton and Derby.
Yes, and Redknapp said that he had no idea that Delap could throw the ball that far when he was Southampton manager, otherwise he surely would have used that tactic during the crazy relegation battle in 2005. I don't know if these stats are accurate, but apparently Derby only scored 1 goal from a Delap throw in, and Southampton just 3.

During his period at Southampton, he was considered to be almost a flair player especially during the latter part of the 2001/2002 season (when he was in impressive form) and during the 2002/2003 season before his injury problems surfaced, and quite a few people wanted McCarthy to pick him in Ireland's World Cup squad as he would offer them something different along those lines.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes, and Redknapp said that he had no idea that Delap could throw the ball that far when he was Southampton manager, otherwise he surely would have used that tactic during the crazy relegation battle in 2005. I don't know if these stats are accurate, but apparently Derby only scored 1 goal from a Delap throw in, and Southampton just 3.

During his period at Southampton, he was considered to be almost a flair player especially during the latter part of the 2001/2002 season (when he was in impressive form) and during the 2002/2003 season before his injury problems surfaced, and quite a few people wanted McCarthy to pick him in Ireland's World Cup squad as he would offer them something different along those lines.
So he’s basically a legend right?

United58

No wonder we didn't select him for the World Cup, we're allergic to those players :lol:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
So he’s basically a legend right?
Well pretty much ! He actually demonstrated pretty good versatility and was able to adapt to completely different playing styles between his Southampton and Stoke playing days, which is quite a noteworthy achievement.

Southampton under Strachan were a better team than Stoke were under Pulis (not a by a huge margin or anything but still I think this it was quite clear). It's an interesting scenario that because of Pulis stumbling across his throw-in abilities, he is mainly remembered for and associated with the time he spent at the second best team that he played for (I'm not sure how Jim Smith's Derby compare but I think they declined noticeably during his last couple of seasons there), rather than at the best team that he played for.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Think I said earlier I was amazed he played so little for ROI when you thought how tight international games are and over half the goals come from set pieces. Trap never called him up even though he was calling up club mates like Liam Lawrence and Glenn Whelan although perhaps given he was in his 30s he wasn't interested any longer.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
No wonder we didn't select him for the World Cup, we're allergic to those players :lol:
Haha yeah it has often seemed like it.

Thankfully McCarthy was sensible enough to realise the talent of Duff though (he was routinely terrorising right-backs in the Premier League), and he did very well at that 2002 World Cup sandwiched in-between 2 excellent seasons for Blackburn (I remember them fondly) in the Premier League.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well pretty much ! He actually demonstrated pretty good versatility and was able to adapt to completely different playing styles between his Southampton and Stoke playing days, which is quite a noteworthy achievement.

Southampton under Strachan were a better team than Stoke were under Pulis (not a by a huge margin or anything but still I think this it was quite clear). It's an interesting scenario that because of Pulis stumbling across his throw-in abilities, he is mainly remembered for and associated with the time he spent at the second best team that he played for (I'm not sure how Jim Smith's Derby compare but I think they declined noticeably during his last couple of seasons there), rather than at the best team that he played for.
Derby had a really good team of Wanchope, Baiano and Stefano Eranio in the late 90s so were good to watch going forward and finished in the top half a couple of times. Can't remember if Delap was playing then though.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Derby had a really good team of Wanchope, Baiano and Stefano Eranio in the late 90s so were good to watch going forward and finished in the top half a couple of times. Can't remember if Delap was playing then though.
Yes plus the likes of Dean Sturridge and Deon Burton. After their promotion in 1996, they were a good team and enjoyable to watch during their first 3 years in the Premier League, and often gave good account of themselves the likes of United (notably Wanchope's debut at Old Trafford) and Arsenal (thumping them at Pride Park during their 1997/1998 double winning season). Then they declined noticeably and battled against relegation in 1999/2000 and 2000/2001 before it was third time unlucky in 2001/2002. I know Delap was part of the team that struggled more in 1999/2000 and 2000/2001 before leaving for Southampton, but I don't know if he was part of the earlier more successful team.

Midfield

Red
Rory's Zinedine Zidane for throw-ins ability. Legend? arguable. I read somewhere that he was a former javelin thrower athlete for olympic, no?