Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

Champagne Football

It's sad that to this day Keane dislikes Fergie. Even after Fergie had the brain scare, not sure if Keane said anything.

They used to have a fantastic partnership.
I think Keane desperately wanted to play in a Euro final and win before retiring. I don't think he could handle Fergie's 4 or 5 year squad developing plans, where players like O'Shea, Sylvestre, Fletcher were probably getting far too much game time in Keanes eyes, with Keane wondering why they don't just go out and buy the likes of ready made stars - Nedved/Essien/Rivaldo/Ribery etc so they can be favourites to win another Euro Cup, like the other big guns in Europe were doing like Bayern, Madrid, Juventus etc
I think Keane crossed the line by ridiculing/embarrasing Fergie infront of the squad in relation to taking his eye off the ball with the court case he had against the Rock of Gibraltar horse owners, and that was that. Fergie obviously went through a horror time for himself and his family fighting the horse owners , and for one of his own players to try and ridicule him over it infront of the squad about it, there was no coming back after that.
Fergie has since made some very hurtful comments about Keane to wind him up as much as possible, Keane has retaliated with insults, and they are both unforgiving type characters, so pretty much despise each other now and always will. I'd blame Keane for their bitter falling out, you don't cross the boss. Keane obviously feels he sweat enough blood on the pitch for Fergie that he was entitled to a pardoning by Fergie for his outburst. Both of them have been equally malicious when mocking each other since the falling out. Sad indeed.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Love Keane despite any sourness since leaving. I find he comes across as a bit of a rambling idiot when doing punditry though.

Great for soundbites however.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think Keane’s problem is he was too good of a player, he can’t relate to the cloggers or posers and everything he says is overanalysed by united fans more than anyone else . A lesser and more beige ex player just saying all the same stuff as all the other pundits wouldn’t get half as much notice. The stuff that makes Keane such a polarising critic is why he was so good as a player. He doesnt tolerate bs or egos with nothing to back it up and he calls people out on it rather than shying away from issues. It’s just the way he is and that’s why he’s on tv he has a confrontational style. He’s said it himself that he doesn’t really get modern players lifestyles or attitudes but surely he can still validly commentate on the footballing output of highly paid players without being called a contrarian. He just expects super high standards on the pitch. If players aren’t giving their all he’s going to call it

Last edited:

Luke1995

I think Keane desperately wanted to play in a Euro final and win before retiring. I don't think he could handle Fergie's 4 or 5 year squad developing plans, where players like O'Shea, Sylvestre, Fletcher were probably getting far too much game time in Keanes eyes, with Keane wondering why they don't just go out and buy the likes of ready made stars - Nedved/Essien/Rivaldo/Ribery etc so they can be favourites to win another Euro Cup, like the other big guns in Europe were doing like Bayern, Madrid, Juventus etc
I think Keane crossed the line by ridiculing/embarrasing Fergie infront of the squad in relation to taking his eye off the ball with the court case he had against the Rock of Gibraltar horse owners, and that was that. Fergie obviously went through a horror time for himself and his family fighting the horse owners , and for one of his own players to try and ridicule him over it infront of the squad about it, there was no coming back after that.
Fergie has since made some very hurtful comments about Keane to wind him up as much as possible, Keane has retaliated with insults, and they are both unforgiving type characters, so pretty much despise each other now and always will. I'd blame Keane for their bitter falling out, you don't cross the boss. Keane obviously feels he sweat enough blood on the pitch for Fergie that he was entitled to a pardoning by Fergie for his outburst. Both of them have been equally malicious when mocking each other since the falling out. Sad indeed.
Also, Fergie said that Keane did some antics while at 2005 Pre season tour. They were in some houses in Portugal and Keane didn't like it and wanted bigger houses, something like that.. overall, i think Fergie just had enough of Keane's complaints

Fergie may also have felt Keane just didn't fit in anymore with the kind of dressing room the club had at the time. While Giggs and Scholes for example didn't care and just wanted to kick a ball, Keane said himself he didn't get Rooney and Ferdinand's banters and perhaps he was just a hard person to engage in conversations with.

I actually bought Fergie's book and Keane's book and while they tell pretty much the same story overall, they put the blame fully on each other.

Fergie couldn't stand someone trying to be bigger than the manager, him, Alex Ferguson, had to be the god of the world in that dressing room, probably why he sold Beckham.

Keane also had a falling out with Queiroz and that didn't help.

Green_Red

Pundits aren't really pundits. I see better game analysis from Sqawka Dave on MUTV or YouTube than I ever do from any SkySports pundit. Carragher and Neville do an alright job analysing but it's mostly an old boys club full of egos. Keane fits in perfectly.

He was the new Robbo when he joined us, now hes the new Souness at SkySports.

Having said that he is entertaining, just not sure if that makes him a good pundit.

Champagne Football

Also, Fergie said that Keane did some antics while at 2005 Pre season tour. They were in some houses in Portugal and Keane didn't like it and wanted bigger houses, something like that.. overall, i think Fergie just had enough of Keane's complaints

Fergie may also have felt Keane just didn't fit in anymore with the kind of dressing room the club had at the time. While Giggs and Scholes for example didn't care and just wanted to kick a ball, Keane said himself he didn't get Rooney and Ferdinand's banters and perhaps he was just a hard person to engage in conversations with.

I actually bought Fergie's book and Keane's book and while they tell pretty much the same story overall, they put the blame fully on each other.

Fergie couldn't stand someone trying to be bigger than the manager, him, Alex Ferguson, had to be the god of the world in that dressing room, probably why he sold Beckham.

I agree. It was not uncommon for Fergie to fall out with an important player - Strachan/Beckham/Ruud. I think Keane had been so influential and such a great leader, that for years everyone from the media to Fergie could not stop singing his praises, repeatedly saying how he is the new Fergie in waiting when he becomes a manager. I think a combination of being given too much power and praise, along with the pressures of being captain for so long for a club that demands trophies each year, along with the toll it takes on being the guy who is supposed to protect his team from the hatchet men in the opposition in every game, the likes of Viera, Ruddock, Batty, Vinny Jones etc ......... drove Keane to a point where he was just always cranky and angry towards the end. He was falling out with everyone in the end. And he has that type of unforgiving trait that Fergie also has.

Keane will never get over the fact he was the Roy of the Rovers hero for so long, only to have been thrown out on his ear like a bad apple in the end. He will always feel he deserved better, Fergie will always feel Keane broke the golden rule of humiliating the boss in front of the squad, so there will never be a truce.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I basically have low expectations of football pundits - I don't expect them to provide insightful or sophisticated analysis of games, tactics etc, and often don't expect them to venture beyond stating the bleeding obvious.

Therefore as far as I'm concerned you might as well get a pundit like Keane who provides a lot of entertaining sound-bites, than one who is a boring and never says anything interesting.

I think it's much simpler than that. People who are good at something always outgrow their mentor/leader, whatever field it is in. Keane got to the point where he thought he knew better than Ferguson and because they were both such strong personalities it turned sour.

jackal&hyde

Pundits aren't really pundits. I see better game analysis from Sqawka Dave on MUTV or YouTube than I ever do from any SkySports pundit. Carragher and Neville do an alright job analysing but it's mostly an old boys club full of egos. Keane fits in perfectly.

Having said that he is entertaining, just not sure if that makes him a good pundit.
Agree with that. It's more about liking his or other pundits personality rather then learning about the game or hearing an objective analysis of what happened. What i generally dislike about some of them is how much they talk about nebulous things like "does he care" "does he try hard enough" things that you would hear in the pub after a few beers rather then a professional football person analyzing a game. If i were a player i would not watch this shows.

Souness is the worst by far. He's judging players characters 90% of the time, without even knowing those people, rather then talking football. Total narcissistic bafoon.
Sqawka Dave is great. The guys from tifo football are also ok.

POF

I think where it really fell apart was the change in culture in the dressing room. Keane's role under Fergie for many years was to drive a winning culture. To demand 100% commitment every day in training sessions so the standards were maintained.

The dressing room towards the end of Keane's time was changing. You could tell that Keane didn't respect the "future leaders" in Ferdinand and Rooney. He saw them as immature wasters. Fergie tolerated it because of their talent and Keane couldn't understand why.

For years, he was the one enforcing Fergie's win at all costs culture and now he's seeing standards slipping in training and shit shows like Middlesbrough away.

There is no doubt that Keane feels like Fergie betrayed him. He sees that he was following instructions and Fergie then sided with everyone else and kicked him out of the club.

Fergie probably saw Keane as an old relic who couldn't adapt to the modern player and the necessary culture change in the dressing room that was required.

Luke1995

I agree. It was not uncommon for Fergie to fall out with an important player - Strachan/Beckham/Ruud. I think Keane had been so influential and such a great leader, that for years everyone from the media to Fergie could not stop singing his praises, repeatedly saying how he is the new Fergie in waiting when he becomes a manager. I think a combination of being given too much power and praise, along with the pressures of being captain for so long for a club that demands trophies each year, along with the toll it takes on being the guy who is supposed to protect his team from the hatchet men in the opposition in every game, the likes of Viera, Ruddock, Batty, Vinny Jones etc ......... drove Keane to a point where he was just always cranky and angry towards the end. He was falling out with everyone in the end. And he has that type of unforgiving trait that Fergie also has.

Keane will never get over the fact he was the Roy of the Rovers hero for so long, only to have been thrown out on his ear like a bad apple in the end. He will always feel he deserved better, Fergie will always feel Keane broke the golden rule of humiliating the boss in front of the squad, so there will never be a truce.
Exactly. Well.. you don't cross the boss. Doesn't matter if you're Pelé or Ronaldinho, you don't cross the boss.

johanovic

Keano is a huge relief from the "normal" pundits as most of them have nothing to say as Keane is not afraid to give his frank opinion on things. Souness, Redknapp and co bore you to death with their bullshit.

Luke1995

I think where it really fell apart was the change in culture in the dressing room. Keane's role under Fergie for many years was to drive a winning culture. To demand 100% commitment every day in training sessions so the standards were maintained.

The dressing room towards the end of Keane's time was changing. You could tell that Keane didn't respect the "future leaders" in Ferdinand and Rooney. He saw them as immature wasters. Fergie tolerated it because of their talent and Keane couldn't understand why.

For years, he was the one enforcing Fergie's win at all costs culture and now he's seeing standards slipping in training and shit shows like Middlesbrough away.

There is no doubt that Keane feels like Fergie betrayed him. He sees that he was following instructions and Fergie then sided with everyone else and kicked him out of the club.

Fergie probably saw Keane as an old relic who couldn't adapt to the modern player and the necessary culture change in the dressing room that was required.
Yeah, that's very possible. Can totally understand Keane's view although he went too far by moaning in front of the squad

clarkydaz

In Fergies book he says Keane accused him of being a changed manager. Fergies reply was along the lines of 'good, i have to'

RyRy11

None of the current contract holders (Sky and BT) dedicate themselves to punditry that goes into any tactical detail. They attempt it by showing some previous game clips and highlighting a few players but they're mostly there to hype up the game and provide a few sound bites for their reporters to regurgitate throughtout the season. Most of the discussion we had this season is based around Ole will he/wont he get sacked and missing Pogba or Rashford. At half time and full time they'll show the goal highlights and tell you why they were good goals but If theres a wiff of controversy during the game they are straight on it as soon as they can. They are selling you the drama not true football analysis, thats why Keane fits the bill.

POF

In Fergies book he says Keane accused him of being a changed manager. Fergies reply was along the lines of 'good, i have to'
He did but I do think he went too far in indulging the talented players and realised later when Rio and Rooney continued to let him down.

The addition of Vidic and Evra, 2 players with real leadership qualities, was the catalyst to United's success. United were a soft touch before their arrival and it completely changed the dynamic. Talent only gets you so far.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Exactly. I feel like the Pundits are just there to entertain, not for actual analysis because barely any of them did it. And when They did it's basic stuffs like "He should have played, He's quick". And all of this is reinforced when you see Carragher turning around wearing a VR headset like an Uncle you don't really like trying his best to be trendy. It is all about money making and views. They're meant to be entertaining more than anything. Just like ArsenalFanTV.

On SkySports Youtube Channel you can see how They start putting captions like "Heated Arguments between xxxx and yyyy" even though the discussion isn't even interesting to begin with or any other clickbait titles. Robbie is doing a brilliant job creating a business model that even a big Corporations need to follow. He changed the game. If nothing interesting, controversial or stupid is happening in the studio, people would rather watch AFTV on demand. That's the kind of content They love these days.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn’t class him as a pundit as such, he’ll never give you amazing analysis into why something happened on a football pitch, unless it happened to involve someone not wanting it enough.

That said, I still love Keano and think he’s great value. Just not for the same reason I watch Neville.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Regarding commentary on tactic, I find it interesting how some players like Keane who were tactically outstanding don't offer much insight when in the studio talking about football. Is it possibly to do with their lack interest on the topic i.e for them they just implemented it and understood it but don't necessarily want to go on about things they feel are obvious?

On the other hand, also leaving the usual merit (insight and entertainment) aside, sometimes it's also worth having one of your ex players in the studio, as tribal as that sounds. For example I do watch a bit of ESPN's oddball team, and the anti United and pro Liverpool bias does get grating.

RUCK4444

I think he's a decent pundit, not great but not bad.

They should basically replace Souness with him. They both go for that Simon Cowell cold straight persona, Keane is just the better character.

Souness talks absolute nonsense every week, literally nothing tactically constructive to say, just talks about character and leadership as though that's the be all and end all.

Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd (19 June 2020)

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
First time in ages seeing Keane doing punditry and he's really at the Soccer Saturday level of performative anger these days.

He might not be wrong about poor keeping by De Gea but "I'd save that" is the level of analysis you get from your dad.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
A good pundit is one who creates talking points. Keane is a good pundit.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's great, Evra is sitting on the fence, Keane is saying what everyone else is thinking/seeing - DDG and Maguire, just not up to it.

Tel074

For me he is the best pundit on TV . He says what we are all really thinking

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It depends on what the criteria for good is. If it's entertainment then yeah, if it's something insightful then no.
There's almost no Roy Keane the player in any team in the world, there's a Roy Keane the pundit in almost any pub though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"Maguire! And De Gea - I wouldn’t even let him on the bus after the match.
Get a taxi back to Manchester. Shocking, I am disgusted. De Gea?! Maguire?
Letting people run past you while playing for Manchester United?"

lsd

The Oracle
I love when you see him thinking of a word to say how he us feeling that he can say on tv before coming up with flabbergasted

Name Changed

weso26
Roy Keane was right in everything that he said. That was absolutely diabolical and he is right to call it out for what it was.

Zoo

First time in ages seeing Keane doing punditry and he's really at the Soccer Saturday level of performative anger these days.

He might not be wrong about poor keeping by De Gea but "I'd save that" is the level of analysis you get from your dad.
He never provides any analysis just sound bites. I find him boring but seem to be in the minority, there’s a way to pick apart De Gea and co without his headline making bullshit.

Name Changed

weso26
He never provides any analysis just sound bites. I find him boring but seem to be in the minority, there’s a way to pick apart De Gea and co without his headline making bullshit.
Do you think he should be soft? I doubt he gives a flying feck about headlines. He just says it as he thinks it, which sometimes is wrong, but hard not to agree with in this case.

Personally I much prefer when players are called out for bad mistakes and bad performances.

Toad

Ole on DDG

“It was a very good strike and the ball is moving all over the place.”

Keane from the studio:

“There was no need for Ole to throw anyone under the bus tonight and I’m always intrigued when people say the ball moved. If you kick the ball it is going to move.”

You can just hear Evra laughing in the background to top it off :lol:

Edy2

Couldn't argue with anything he said. Shocking defending and goalkeeping and he's called them out. He gives credit when it's deserved too.

RUCK4444

Yeah agree. Posted earlier that the headline grabbing bullsh*t just puts pressure and unnecessary negative focus on the club.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It depends what you expect from a pundit... Yeah you can want the in depth analysis, but also its good to have an elite footballer giving their brutal honest opinion on things.

Give me someone saying that Maguire and DDG should be ashamed of themselves for that goal then someone saying "they should do better there"

Heinzesight

He’s brilliant. Nobody like him in the pundit World. Yeah we need analysis but it’s good to balance it out with his utter distain for some players and disgust with parts of the game. He plays up to it but so what...who gives a feck. Would you rather another ex-Vermin player on spouting shite?