Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

Smores

His comments about physically assaulting De Gea are cringe worthy. You have all this BLM movement before and during the game with the names on the shirts and then you have a guy at half time talking about beating someone because they made a mistake in a football game. Also, after the Everton game he said he would've killed De Gea. Now I know he's not really meaning it, but speeches like that have no place on a TV show. You expect to hear them in a pub, after 6 beers. I seriously can't see how you can find entertainment in his thuggish comments if you are older than 14.
Give over it's nothing more than expressive language and no one in their right mind takes it as anything other than that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can’t imagine ever getting that wound up about Manchester United.
That is what set him apart from the average. He really cared about playing for Manchester United and played with proper intensity and passion mixed with being a fantastic player.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Said it as it is, as usual. And coming from someone who led by example on the pitch, it carries more weight. I have no qualms with his analysis of this game. When people foul up, they need calling out. Maybe the fan came through more than the pundit last night, but heck, we wouldn't be the ones complaining about that. Keano is one of us!
Exactly right.
Nothing wrong or incorrect about anything he said.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Love Keano and think he can be a really good pundit at times.

Last night was just bizarre though. Like a raving hermit who has just reentered society after having not spoken to anything other than a rock for the past few years.

SirAF

Ageist
His comments about physically assaulting De Gea are cringe worthy. You have all this BLM movement before and during the game with the names on the shirts and then you have a guy at half time talking about beating someone because they made a mistake in a football game. Also, after the Everton game he said he would've killed De Gea. Now I know he's not really meaning it, but speeches like that have no place on a TV show. You expect to hear them in a pub, after 6 beers. I seriously can't see how you can find entertainment in his thuggish comments if you are older than 14.
:lol: :lol:

diarm

I'd say you could put a significant percentage of our troubles over the last decade down to too many of this sort and not enough Roy Keanes in the dressing room.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
His comments about Maguire and De Gea in general were spot on. The throwing punches part is probably an exageration. He did sound like a cranky supporter but he does hold his old club and footballers in general to high standards. Fair enough too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Give over it's nothing more than expressive language and no one in their right mind takes it as anything other than that.
For some reason a lot of people take everything Roy Keane says literally (like saying DDG should have caught it for example), even though all pundits use exaggerations to get points across all the home.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Whatever you say about him one thing is clear. He loves man united. Its written on his face. When he sees you make mistakes it hurts him and pisses him off.

dalriada

Maybe you don't wan't to hear the truth.
I'm happy to hear the truth stated and argued in a rational manner. Ranting about players going home in a taxi because they shouldn't be allowed on the team bus and that De Gea is the most overrated keeper ever is neither rational nor the professional analysis I'm looking for from a commentator. If I'm just interested in hearing that kind of hysterical rant I can find plenty of that on Twitter, or in this forum for that matter.

I'm as passionate as anyone about Utd and as disappointed as anyone when we screw up, that's why I've been supporting them for 50 years. There are many reasons to admire Roy Keane's passion, and his contribution to Utd, but in 2002 he deliberately chose to provoke an argument with Mick McCarthy that could only result in him being sent home. Last night it was like to listening to two different people, one at half time and the other at full time. Thank goodness Patrice was there to bring some sanity.

The guy will have a heart attack (and I'm saying that from personal experience).

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Keane is great or awful depending on what you want from a pundit.

I only care about entertainment in between matches so I find him really funny but I understand some people want a technical breakdown which Keane won't do for you.

Ideally, a studio team needs a mixture of personalities. Then you get the "heart" and the "brain".

But I get why Keane is on sky sports. The fact that every time he speaks, this thread gets 5 new pages says it all.

Kag

It depends on what good really is. He’s an entertaining one, absolutely; it’s what Sky want him to be. But he isn’t informative or thought-provoking. Again, I don’t think Sky want him to be. They’ve got Neville and Carragher for that on a Monday night. Horses for courses and all that...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Depends on what you want from your pundit, I suppose. He's not going to analyze the game for you. He's not going to give you any great insight, necessarily. He mostly just throw out platitudes, but he does so very aggressively which makes him stand apart. I don't mind him at times, but he can be tedious.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm happy to hear the truth stated and argued in a rational manner. Ranting about players going home in a taxi because they shouldn't be allowed on the team bus and that De Gea is the most overrated keeper ever is neither rational nor the professional analysis I'm looking for from a commentator. If I'm just interested in hearing that kind of hysterical rant I can find plenty of that on Twitter, or in this forum for that matter.

I'm as passionate as anyone about Utd and as disappointed as anyone when we screw up, that's why I've been supporting them for 50 years. There are many reasons to admire Roy Keane's passion, and his contribution to Utd, but in 2002 he deliberately chose to provoke an argument with Mick McCarthy that could only result in him being sent home. Last night it was like to listening to two different people, one at half time and the other at full time. Thank goodness Patrice was there to bring some sanity.

The guy will have a heart attack (and I'm saying that from personal experience).
Keane didn’t provoke anything, he had basic standards of an international team going to a World Cup should have a set of balls to train with and an actual pitch not a bloody hotel front lawn. Expecting the FAI and the manager to give a single shit about doing anything properly isn’t provocation, it’s taking some god damn responsibility for something. It’s nonsense like this that has absolutely destroyed football in Ireland. McCarthy is nothing more than a spineless cretin.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The trouble with Keane the pundit is he usually starts off with a very solid critique that most would agree with, but then winds up squandering it all by getting carried away, which makes him look bitter in the end. The bit about not giving credit to DDG for the save he made being a prime example. Its easy to see why he flopped as a manager.

Maticmaker

Basically what Keane said was right, bad defensive mistakes first from Shaw, was he trying to play heading tennis? Then Maguire he got caught weight on wrong foot, and finally De Gea tries to push a shot away (that he could save with his body) over the angle, when he clearly was not positioned correctly. All mistakes you wouldn't expect, but because they all occurred in an exceptional sequence that led to the loss of a goal, they looked much worse.

Roy just lets his mouth runaway with him, happened before will happen again, not unexpected, highly predictable, its what makes Keane such a 'marmite man'.

dalriada

Keane didn’t provoke anything, he had basic standards of an international team going to a World Cup should have a set of balls to train with and an actual pitch not a bloody hotel front lawn. Expecting the FAI and the manager to give a single shit about doing anything properly isn’t provocation, it’s taking some god damn responsibility for something. It’s nonsense like this that has absolutely destroyed football in Ireland. McCarthy is nothing more than a spineless cretin.
He didn't need to turn it into a confrontation that was going to end up with him embarrassing the team and the country and being sent home. There was a time and a place and that was the wrong time and place. By the way, he was right with most of his complaints, it's the way he goes about things. It's also why he was always going to be a failure as a manager.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Whatever you say about him one thing is clear. He loves man united. Its written on his face. When he sees you make mistakes it hurts him and pisses him off.
It amazes me that despite this being clear to anyone with eyes and a brain, there are people who still criticize him for calling it as it is. Same with Neville too to an extent. These guys are Utd fans and they played at the highest standard and they expect the current Utd players to do the same. Yet there are idiots on here who will be defending our current lot against these guys. Mind boggling!!

Old Ma Crow

I love Evra but he’s got an agenda within the club and Keane hasn’t. Keane’s comment that he’d make DeGea and Maguire get a taxi home was actually laugh out loud funny where Evra’s response was only mildly amusing
Can you expand on Evra's club "agenda"? I thought he balanced out Roy's hyperbole quite well.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I was really hoping for a 15 minute deep technical dive on the mistakes that led to Spurs goal, accompanied by arrows and circles drawn on freeze framed images, to help me understand.

Because it wasn't a really obvious collection of feck ups.

Disappointing.

GiddyUp

Deliberately provoked mick McCarthy? Get the feck out if here with that shit.

GiddyUp

We would have went further with Keane as player/manager then with fai mick and his media pals.

GiddyUp

He didn't need to turn it into a confrontation that was going to end up with him embarrassing the team and the country and being sent home. There was a time and a place and that was the wrong time and place. By the way, he was right with most of his complaints, it's the way he goes about things. It's also why he was always going to be a failure as a manager.
You do know McCarthy called a team meeting to specifically call out and embarrass Keane in front of the squad??? You literally got everything wrong.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I did not like how he said it but I agree De Gea is definitely been overrated for at least a year. He cost us a lot at the back of last season against Arsenal and at home against Chelsea.

He may pull off world class saves after making mistakes but that's no different than having an avergage goalie who makes the easy save and lets in the hard one but he'll be paid a lot less.

He may still have a season with us but we need a transition plan for him to be replaced, most likely by Henderson because Manchester United, the supposed biggest club in the UK and arguably the world, doesn't spend the money the fans inject into it.

As for Maguire, his weaknesses have been documented at length, it's our fault we have not addressed getting him a suitable partner.

lysglimt

Scout
Not a big fan of his - it's basically if you make an error you should never play for United again

Okey

Too right! My exact thoughts watching him last night.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is there any more divisive off-field subject-matter on the Caf than the quality of Roy Keane's punditry? I can't think of many...

GiddyUp

Is there any more divisive off-field subject-matter on the Caf than the quality of Roy Keane's punditry? I can't think of many...
I would love him involved in the club in some capacity away from the team. Him reddining the ears of the board and bankers would go a long way in sorting out these stupid situations we find ourselves in. Sick and tired of being told we can't clear the shite because of their lucrative contracts. Its fecking stupid that our goalkeeper is earning more than some of the best outfield players.

dalriada

You do know McCarthy called a team meeting to specifically call out and embarrass Keane in front of the squad??? You literally got everything wrong.
That was after Keane had already given an interview to the two journalists, which he must have known would be published. You don't wait until the team is in the middle of the tournament and then go to the press undermining the manager. Agree about a lot of the shortcomings of the FAI, but I repeat there is a time and a place and that wasn't it. Maybe McCarthy should have tried to settle it in private, but what were the chances of that with Keane?

I'm sorry, but the guy is becoming a caricature, increasingly can't stand him making a living out of going on these rants.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
9 months ago

Jose makes a good point after saying he's a technical keeper and that the defence (Lindelof) isn't the best complement to that.

Ultimately it might be De Gea whose the bigger issue as having two rocks would weaken us quite a bit when it comes to playing out from the back (Maguire is decent but how many of those players exist)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Roy has such selective integrity. :lol:

Excerpts from a non-existant Roy Keane autobiography:

The night before the Cup Final I set fire to a policeman, peed over the Queen and ended up in the cells. I'd had a few too many shandies. Couldn't play the next day. The boss got me out and fined me a week's wages. Fair enough. We lost the match as I seethed at our lacklustre, makeshift midfield.
The night before the title-decider I spotted United youngster Fred Bloggs in a pub I was passing while walking my dog and ignoring people in a very unpretentious manner. I said to Bloggs: "What are you doing here? Call yourself a professional? You'll never f*cking make it. You're a f*cking disgrace." So we won the title after Bloggs scored the winner. I didn't celebrate - everyone telling me that we'd have won nothing for centuries without my incredible efforts sickened me to the core. "You can call me a hero if you like but that's my job," I muttered to them.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Having slept on it I understand where people are coming from about the match, broadly speaking. A draw in the first game back away at Spurs is by no means a disaster, we had flashes of brilliance and on another day we maybe put a couple of chances away, don't give away such a dreadful goal and come out comfortable winners.

On the other hand it has to be said it is a hallmark of our play under Ole that over and over again we find ways to throw points down the drain. Keane has clearly gone over the top in the way he vocalised his displeasure but that is a woeful goal to give away, honestly one of the worst I have ever seen us concede, so if ever there was a time to be 'fuming', 'flabbergasted' and 'sick to death' as a United supporter, it's watching that shambles. If you're done with Keane's hard, grumpy old fecker image fair play to you but I don't happen to think he was particularly out of order reading the Riot Act on that passage of play.

GiddyUp

That was after Keane had already given an interview to the two journalists, which he must have known would be published. You don't wait until the team is in the middle of the tournament and then go to the press undermining the manager. Agree about a lot of the shortcomings of the FAI, but I repeat there is a time and a place and that wasn't it. Maybe McCarthy should have tried to settle it in private, but what were the chances of that with Keane?

I'm sorry, but the guy is becoming a caricature, increasingly can't stand him making a living out of going on these rants.
Ok pal.