Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was really hoping for a 15 minute deep technical dive on the mistakes that led to Spurs goal, accompanied by arrows and circles drawn on freeze framed images, to help me understand.

Because it wasn't a really obvious collection of feck ups.

Disappointing.
:lol: Yes

Greck

Calling it early. He'll be a meme in no time. His angry man "analysis" will start to wear on viewers because he likes to rage about everything

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Calling it early. He'll be a meme in no time. His angry man "analysis" will start to wear on viewers because he likes to rage about everything
To be honest, and I say this with no disrespect to this part of society, it looked more like a homeless man analysis. I thought he'd just woken up.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd say most people seem to really like him as a pundit, whichever club they support (apart from Liverpool).

PeteManic

It's all pantomime on Sky Sports. Premier League football is a product and Keane is there playing his role to keep the demographic happy.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I watched his reaction and thought it over the top, even Evra sitting opposite thought it was a joke.

Maguire and De Gea were awful for the goal but Keane was talking about hypothetically about punching De Gea. No wonder he's become a relic in football management. Then he claims that De Gea should be catching that header from Don. It's spoken like a man who's never played as a goalkeeper.

This angry say-it-how-is demeanour should not be confused with genuine knowledge, insight and wisdom.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I watched his reaction and thought it over the top, even Evra sitting opposite thought it was a joke.

Maguire and De Gea were awful for the goal but Keane was talking about hypothetically about punching De Gea. No wonder he's become a relic in football management. Then he claims that De Gea should be catching that header from Don. It's spoken like a man who's never played as a goalkeeper.

This angry say-it-how-is demeanour should not be confused with genuine knowledge, insight and wisdom.
I love Keano but his style of punditry, i.e the "just don't be shit" style, wears a little thin when you're used to Gary Neville carefully explaining the nuances of certain pieces of play. He's great when he has a Neville or Carragher to bounce off, or when he comes into the studio once every couple of months to shake things up, just for the comedy value. But him sitting there on his own every monday night just wouldn't work I don't think.

Lj82

Not sure what people are complaining about. Hardly anything wrong with what he said or how he said it this time

My favourite bit:

"Roy, are you falling in love with Fernandes?"
Keane: "I won't go that far"
:lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I love Keano but his style of punditry, i.e the "just don't be shit" style, wears a little thin when you're used to Gary Neville carefully explaining the nuances of certain pieces of play. He's great when he has a Neville or Carragher to bounce off, or when he comes into the studio once every couple of months to shake things up, just for the comedy value. But him sitting there on his own every monday night just wouldn't work I don't think.
That's fair enough generally speaking, but honestly that passage of play for the goal was a disgrace and I'm not disquieted in the slightest that Keane was in the studio to let rip on the players involved. No tactical breakdown was necessary to communicate to the viewers just what a fecking dog's breakfast that was. As I've said before if you find Keane's persona grating and his style of punditry isn't your cup of tea that's fair enough but I was happy to see a bollocking over more considered analysis in this instance.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's fair enough generally speaking, but honestly that passage of play for the goal was a disgrace and I'm not disquieted in the slightest that Keane was in the studio to let rip on the players involved. No tactical breakdown was necessary to communicate to the viewers just what a fecking dog's breakfast that was. As I've said before if you find Keane's persona grating and his style of punditry isn't your cup of tea that's fair enough but I was happy to see a bollocking over more considered analysis in this instance.
Oh no don't get me wrong, I love it. Laughed my head off at him saying De Gea should get a taxi back to Manchester. I think he's great.

Manny

Grammar Police
Not sure what people are complaining about. Hardly anything wrong with what he said or how he said it this time

My favourite bit:

"Roy, are you falling in love with Fernandes?"
Keane: "I won't go that far"
:lol:
Or for the Spurs goal, the "ball moved, the ball moved, is what they are going to say... well yeah, if you kick the ball of course it's going to move"

With Keane there really are no excuses, no one gets let off the hook. I love it!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Jose makes a good point after saying he's a technical keeper and that the defence (Lindelof) isn't the best complement to that.

Ultimately it might be De Gea whose the bigger issue as having two rocks would weaken us quite a bit when it comes to playing out from the back (Maguire is decent but how many of those players exist)
Quite a few of those types of CBs exist potentially tbf.

Bondi77

I find him highly entertaining and so do the other pundits I think, he had Evra in stitches and he was the same when the World Cup was on.:lol:

Keefy18

He's a bully, no more and no less.

From various reports he's all talk, I mean Walters squared up to him and he was crying about calling the police then.

Such a hard man hey.

Bobski

He is an entertainer playing a character. Souness played much the same role in his earlier pundit days but mellowing through age and too much of him dulled the impact. Keane understands his act works best when his appearances are irregular, his rants and intensity would wear out the impact on a weekly basis.

Or he is just an ass who would be a nightmare to deal with on a daily basis.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is entertaining and we all click on links when he talks. It is funny.

But there is a side to it where standards have dropped at United. If you had done what Maguire and de Gea did for the Spurs goal in Keane’s day, there would have been an inquest at halftime and the side would have come out ready to rectify it in the second half.

He is a relic of the past, sure, but he is also a former standard bearer who probably finds it tough seeing how standards have dropped so much at a club he loves.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Just saw the outburst. Loved it. He has the credentials to back up what he's saying.

Davs

Depends what you define as a good pundit to be honest...

He's certainly entertaining and bound to rake in viewers for his audacious comments, but actual tactical analysis of the game isn't as good as others.

I think he makes for great viewing.

lsd

The Oracle
One things for sure players wouldn't get away with making mistakes like that if Keane was on the pitch .

RUCK4444

He is entertaining and we all click on links when he talks. It is funny.

But there is a side to it where standards have dropped at United. If you had done what Maguire and de Gea did for the Spurs goal in Keane’s day, there would have been an inquest at halftime and the side would have come out ready to rectify it in the second half.

He is a relic of the past, sure, but he is also a former standard bearer who probably finds it tough seeing how standards have dropped so much at a club he loves.
Yeah, he would also struggle to deal with the modern footballers mentality.

A wee bit fragile compared to his day. He said in an interview he didn’t bother to associate with a lot of players like Rooney who liked to have a laugh, imagine Keano being surrounded by kids dabbing and prancing around the dressing room with their phones out and headphones on, his head would explode :lol:

vidic blood & sand

He's a breath of fresh air to what we've had to put up with for years. Shearer, Wright, Redknap, Ferdinand etc are just so dull. Back in the 70s and 80s we had dull people like John Motson and Bob Wilson, but Brian Clough livened things up a bit.
I see Keane similar to Clough. He says what he thinks, whether it's wrong or not.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's a breath of fresh air to what we've had to put up with for years. Shearer, Wright, Redknap, Ferdinand etc are just so dull. Back in the 70s and 80s we had dull people like John Motson and Bob Wilson, but Brian Clough livened things up a bit.
I see Keane similar to Clough. He says what he thinks, whether it's wrong or not.
Someone's opinion a good pundit does not make.
He is no better than an average fan posting on a forum,
The fact that he has played the game at the highest level should put him in a higher bracket but alas, he falls victim to his own personality and ends up being over opinionated for the sake of it.
Just wish he'd take a taxi back to Manchester personally.

DoomSlayer

Love Keane, even when I don't agree with his opinions. The man is entitled to say whatever the feck he wants and I would expect at least the United fanbase to celebrate him!

Some of you lot are so uptight, it's embarrassing. Keane doesn't have to be some over-the-top analyst, he is there to be himself and judge what he sees by his own standards. It's also very entertaining so lighten the feck up.

Keefy18

How is he a "breath of fresh air"?

When he is pushed on his opinions and to explain himself with some tactical insight he can't?!

He's a dinosaur from a bygone era and advocating for punch ups in dressing rooms doesn't work these days.

Keefy18

Because he’s actually entertaining which when it comes down to it, is what most of us want
Don't find bully's entertaining at all.

He's all mouth and when Walters squared up to him he was talking of calling the police, such a hard man.

SteveTheRed

Going early with that claim... He's only been a pundit for 8 years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's a bully, no more and no less.

From various reports he's all talk, I mean Walters squared up to him and he was crying about calling the police then.

Such a hard man hey.
This makes no sense. Why would anyone criticize him for not hitting someone ?

SteveTheRed

Because he’s actually entertaining which when it comes down to it, is what most of us want
That's exactly it. Super Sunday gets some many views and big % will be family members not really into football or not bothered, he is great value.

Sometimes people don't want to hear "Well the no.4 has stepped to he 's left, which allowed a metre of space to his right and this player marked in red hit a 35 yards, curving pass with just enough back spin to keep it in play"

They want Roy to say "I'd fecking kill that No.4 if he did that playing for me, stepping to his left...my god. I've seen better down the park on a Sunday"

To be honest, I think sky have the right balance - Neville, Carragher give the higher level analysis for when it's needed.

Keefy18

This makes no sense. Why would anyone criticize him for not hitting someone ?
Clearly missed the point.

Roy was giving it loads about it being acceptable to punch Maguire & De Gea in his half time rant Friday last, but when Walters squared up to him in his office he was talking about calling the police and said it wasn't acceptable.

The point I'm making is, like your stereotypical bully he's all mouth and when you face up to him he'll back down.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Clearly missed the point.

Roy was giving it loads about it being acceptable to punch Maguire & De Gea in his half time rant Friday last, but when Walters squared up to him in his office he was talking about calling the police and said it wasn't acceptable.

The point I'm making is, like your stereotypical bully he's all mouth and when you face up to him he'll back down.
That clearly wasn't the case throughout his football career though was it ? Quite clearly, managers can't behave as players.