Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I find it odd that people think he's acting up/ just putting on a show... If he is he should be doing what Cantona is doing as he's wasted on Sky Sports

el3mel

Any pundit who talks with his guts only isn't a good pundit, but he talks some good points.
This was my opinion previously and it's still stands. He's not a good pundit overall but he still makes good points. Problem is he makes is in an over the top way but this has always been Roy Keane, and thanks to his over the top way it's hard to think he's a good pundit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's often a big difference in how violent his rants appear on the (web)page/tweets than how they are when you actually watch the footage. Quite a few times recently, I've despaired of Keane going on yet another rant - this is how his opinions are presented in SSN tweets & the like - and then, having seen the video, he's not exactly the 'wildman with FURIOUS views!' they're advertising.

Similarly, remember how we were told every ten minutes of 'FERGIE'S FURY'? Apparently he was always 'furious', about everything from a 1-0 defeat to the colour of Dalglish's golfing trousers.

TL;DR The media's shit.

AFC NimbleThumb

He never provides any analysis just sound bites. I find him boring but seem to be in the minority, there’s a way to pick apart De Gea and co without his headline making bullshit.
I stopped looking to Sky for unbiased analysis when the likes of Noel Gallagher started getting appearances on Derby day.

He’s definitely a soundbite but with a goal like today, where your CB captain & your GK turn into ghosts what analysis do we really need there? Discussing De Gea’s poor positioning of his hands & body while telling him to do better next time hasn’t done the job the last year+.

Its actually refreshing to see someone who cares for the club show they care instead of posting an instagram picture & telling us they’ll do better next time.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
A very weird guy. I hope he has a therapist. That rant wasn’t even entertaining. I felt sorry for him. He sounded like he was going to have a heart attack. I’ve never heard him say anything insightful. Just embittered laments that tell us nothing other than what a strange person Keane is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's often a big difference in how violent his rants appear on the (web)page/tweets than how they are when you actually watch the footage. Quite a few times recently, I've despaired of Keane going on yet another rant - this is how his opinions are presented in SSN tweets & the like - and then, having seen the video, he's not exactly the 'wildman with FURIOUS views!' they're advertising.

Similarly, remember how we were told every ten minutes of 'FERGIE'S FURY'? Apparently he was always 'furious', about everything from a 1-0 defeat to the colour of Dalglish's golfing trousers.

TL;DR The media's shit.
Aye, tbf a lot of his "rants" come with a playful smirk or are deadpan for effect.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Our culture is dying due to a general lack of talent and imagination. Sure, controversy has always 'sold' but, now more than ever, newspapers and sites are failing to publish genuinely gifted writers, so reader-attraction lies in outspoken nonsense instead - mediocre columnists are presented as if they were stars; and sports channels like SSN are practically saying: "Never mind the actual sport, f*ck that - tune in to watch the performing ranters we pay to rant!"

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I stopped looking to Sky for unbiased analysis when the likes of Noel Gallagher started getting appearances on Derby day.

He’s definitely a soundbite but with a goal like today, where your CB captain & your GK turn into ghosts what analysis do we really need there? Discussing De Gea’s poor positioning of his hands & body while telling him to do better next time hasn’t done the job the last year+.

Its actually refreshing to see someone who cares for the club show they care instead of posting an instagram picture & telling us they’ll do better next time.
Very true. I really don't need anyone explaining to me why Maguires defending is shocking.

dalriada

A very weird guy. I hope he has a therapist. That rant wasn’t even entertaining. I felt sorry for him. He sounded like he was going to have a heart attack. I’ve never heard him say anything insightful. Just embittered laments that tell us nothing other than what a strange person Keane is.
I have the same feeling. At the end of the match he had calmed down and his comments were measured and sensible, but at half time Maguire and De Gea weren't fit to be on the team bus home and De Gea was the most overrated goalkeeper ever. I really want to change channels when he starts these rants, they contribute nothing to an assessment of the game. He's far too erratic to be a serious pundit, although some people find him good entertainment value. It always seems to come down to "wouldn't have happened when I was there... ".

I seriously went off Roy after his behaviour with Mick McCarthy in the Ireland team. I would think he's a difficult guy to trust, he's almost schizophrenic at times.

Red00012

It’s called Keane saying as it is as a pundit and more importantly as a Utd man. I guess you wouldn’t understand that seeing as no one ever cares playing for city and having Micah Richards and A band member as pundits.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Our culture is dying due to a general lack of talent and imagination. Sure, controversy has always 'sold' but, now more than ever, newspapers and sites are failing to publish genuinely gifted writers, so reader-attraction lies in outspoken nonsense instead - mediocre columnists are presented as if they were stars; and sports channels like SSN are practically saying: "Never mind the actual sport, f*ck that - tune in to watch the performing ranters we pay to rant!"
It’s much more low script these days.

izec

Love him, ruthless on De Gea. 2 years being garbage, he let it all out finally. At least someone saying what's up

Shark

@NotShark
He's not the most technical speaking pundit, but he's honest and entertaining mad bastard. Not like someone like Souness who just comes off as bitter and miserable. Keano has charm and passion to him.

lsd

The Oracle
You have to earn Keane's respect . Its the same now as it was when he was playing .

Evra has earned it as you can clearly see how he interacts with Roy and can get away with joking with him .

Ole has earned it others haven't and Keane will never hold back on players failing to play to the standards he expects of Utd players.

I have no problem with Roy letting players have it as they deserve it . If they can't handle playing for the club then they shouldn't be here

Shark

@NotShark
I have the same feeling. At the end of the match he had calmed down and his comments were measured and sensible, but at half time Maguire and De Gea weren't fit to be on the team bus home and De Gea was the most overrated goalkeeper ever. I really want to change channels when he starts these rants, they contribute nothing to an assessment of the game. He's far too erratic to be a serious pundit, although some people find him good entertainment value. It always seems to come down to "wouldn't have happened when I was there... ".

I seriously went off Roy after his behaviour with Mick McCarthy in the Ireland team. I would think he's a difficult guy to trust, he's almost schizophrenic at times.
Maybe you don't wan't to hear the truth.

RazorOz

He'll say points you agree with but he's always OTT in nature and it never works both ways with him. He'll norm refuse to praise players but be happy to throw them under the bus.

criticalanalysis

I don't get the critcism for Keane on his half time analysis. If you were expecting bias, neutral and nuance from him or Sky then fair enough but it's clear to me he bleeds Utd (even if he won't admit it) and he's very supportive/even protective of his mate Ole.

That aside, what he says isn't wrong. That first half was just slow and lacked any hunger. We can talk about all the talent, technique and tactics (and trust me, I'm all on these) but if you don't play with energy and passion, you've already on a negative playing field.

What he said about being furious and how he would be in the dressing round swinging firsts (which is obviously an exaggeration), it's true. If Ole or someone in that dressing went nuts, did a bit of cheat beating i.e raise their blood levels, we would have come out all guns blazing and probably blitzed them.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't get the critcism for Keane on his half time analysis. If you were expecting bias, neutral and nuance from him or Sky then fair enough but it's clear to me he bleeds Utd (even if he won't admit it) and he's very supportive/even protective of his mate Ole.

That aside, what he says isn't wrong. That first half was just slow and lacked any hunger. We can talk about all the talent, technique and tactics (and trust me, I'm all on these) but if you don't play with energy and passion, you've already on a negative playing field.

What he said about being furious and how he would be in the dressing round swinging firsts (which is obviously an exaggeration), it's true. If Ole or someone in that dressing went nuts, did a bit of cheat beating i.e raise their blood levels, we would have come out all guns blazing and probably blitzed them.
One hundred percent, problem is players are far too soft these days and fans are also too sensitive to someone like Keane telling the blatant truth, would rather listen to the many pundits that dance around the real issues and feed into the delusion and over hyping of players that really aren't that good.

dbs235

Obviously not everything was plain sailing during SAF's time but standards have undeniably dropped and Keane holds us to the same standards that he was used to 20 years ago. You can see that when he was describing de Gea's save from Son as the bare minimum you should be expecting from a Man Utd number 1. I know a lot of people find Keane annoying but I wouldn't mind that winning mentality and high standards back at the club. To me it's painful that we're excited about being 5-0 up in the Europa League against an Austrian team, after growing up watching us conquering Europe.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It’s called Keane saying as it is as a pundit and more importantly as a Utd man. I guess you wouldn’t understand that seeing as no one ever cares playing for city and having Micah Richards and A band member as pundits.
Haha top banter, mate!

Dante

Average bang
Yes, he's brilliant.

His footballing analysis is spot on, just as you'd expect from a former world class player. And his footballing philosophy is fairly consistent across the board (not to mention proven at the top level). I'm not seeing him take it easier or harder on anyone in particular. He's equally hard on everyone.

Whatever else you think about the man, Keano's opinions always have a ring of truth to them - even when it's a truth the audience don't want to hear. You have to admit you get more insight into the vagaries of professional football when you listen to his honest punditry than you would from the empty platitudes of Jamie Redknapp or the excitable laddishness of Ian Wright.

You shouldn't get upset when a man with more expertise than you says something you disagree with. At the very least, you should accept there are varying degrees of truth to something as subjective as football. It's always worth listening to someone who sees the game from a different POV (especially when it's done without pretence like Keane does).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yes, he's brilliant.

His footballing analysis is spot on, just as you'd expect from a former world class player. And his footballing philosophy is fairly consistent across the board (not to mention proven at the top level). I'm not seeing him take it easier or harder on anyone in particular. He's equally hard on everyone.

Whatever else you think about the man, Keano's opinions always have a ring of truth to them - even when it's a truth the audience don't want to hear. You get more insight into the vagaries of professional football when you listen to his honest punditry than you would from the empty platitudes of Jamie Redknapp or the excitable laddishness of Ian Wright.

You shouldn't get upset when a man with more expertise than you says something you disagree with. At the very least, you have to accept there are varying degrees of truth to something as subjective as football. It's always worth listening to someone who sees the game from a different POV (especially when it's done without pretence like Keane does).
Do you though? He’s in the same camp as Redknapp and Wright for me in terms of gleaning anything worthwhile from his perspective. He’s far more entertaining than them, but his actual analysis is incredibly basic and pretty redundant.

*Player makes a cock-up*
Roy Keane: That was shit

I’m not saying he’s unable to formulate insightful analysis, he clearly is. When he speaks about football in general it’s always interesting, but in the studio I don’t see how anyone could enjoy his analysis from an educational point of view

Regarding the second bolded part, I disagree to such an extent that I punched my cat. You have the audacity to tell me that I should sit here and listen to the likes of Chris Sutton and not get angry? Or thank Souness for another cutting edge insight as to why Pogba’s hair cost United the treble? Not for me Clive

Red00012

He'll say points you agree with but he's always OTT in nature and it never works both ways with him. He'll norm refuse to praise players but be happy to throw them under the bus.
Praised Bruno a lot after the game.

Mylock

He's not the most technical speaking pundit, but he's honest and entertaining mad bastard. Not like someone like Souness who just comes off as bitter and miserable. Keano has charm and passion to him.
Keano is pure box office, he comes across as honest. He's right about de gea, time for a change. His form had deteriorated since the last world cup. Forget sentiment, he was a great keeper but we need a change. Fergie got rid of jim Leighton, a player that won him a lot of titles so they could win the fa cup. Olie needs to follow the same approach.