Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

Keefy18

That clearly wasn't the case throughout his football career though was it ? Quite clearly, managers can't behave as players.
It seems it very much was.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gabriel-heinze-reveals-roy-keane-10609014

Keane as well said he was boxed by Clough at Forest.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Now he's on TV and telling the world it'd be acceptable to swing for a team mate. I've no doubt that stuff carried on in his generation but not today.

Maccataq

Keane is box office and I enjoy it but he can go a little overboard, however, when he praises players you know he means it.

The lack of tactical insight comes down to the era he played in and when working with the likes of Clough and Fergie it was as much about motivation, setting standards and mentality as tactics. Today's game is more about systems which requires less individual focus and more about the collective than ever before. Fergie's tactics really started to evolve when he brought in Queiroz and obviously that was central to Keane's bust up with Ferguson which led to him departing. Queiroz's training sessions were perhaps a lot more repetitive and dull and maybe Keane didn't like this but it worked, evidenced by the drilled performance Utd gave against Barcelona on the way to winning the European Cup in 2008.

That said, whether you agree with the language or how he sees the game, he wasn't wrong about the Bergwijn goal but his comments make him standout.

Maccataq

No offence meant to Keane (or yourself) but what a sad reflection of our culture this is.
None taken and you're probably right - but let's face it, Sky know what they're doing whether we like it or not. Souness is a great example of that as he says things that cause a stir and echo across social media and in the tabloids, which for the media is better than someone saying something sensible and people just agreeing with it.

van Persie

You all need to give Keane a break. He was always different which is why he was the leader he was on the pitch. He wants what is best for United, whether it's what you or he believe is right or not - he's certainly not a ordinary individual which was obvious from his days here.

He played 480 games for United and was the captain for 8 years. He's just in a position where his words get out and just like when he was player. He'll speak his tongue.

SAF decided for him to be the captain for a reason. I suspect they are a lot like eachother at heart.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Funny Keano interview on Hughes being sacked by City

Why do you label this interview as funny?? I totally agree with what he's saying there. Not only because I'm a Utd fan but people who have been associated with one particular club for long should have that much respect not to seek employment with one of their rivals. It's not like there is a dearth of clubs willing to take you in football. It's like Pep said recently, that he'd never manage Real Madrid or Man Utd because of his connections to Barca and City respectively. As much as I dislike the man, you gotta respect at least that aspect of his personality.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A piece of Barney Ronay's article in The Guardian after the Villa game

.... “How big a future does this man have?” Kelly Cates asked Roy Keane, who is no longer the wild, moss-encrusted figure of mid-lockdown, but instead appeared on television shaved and trimmed and grimacing in a sports jacket, looking like a battle-scarred off-duty detective inspector two hours into a particularly harrowing parents’ evening. "
:lol:

RUCK4444

You all need to give Keane a break. He was always different which is why he was the leader he was on the pitch. He wants what is best for United, whether it's what you or he believe is right or not - he's certainly not a ordinary individual which was obvious from his days here.

He played 480 games for United and was the captain for 8 years. He's just in a position where his words get out and just like when he was player. He'll speak his tongue.

SAF decided for him to be the captain for a reason. I suspect they are a lot like eachother at heart.
Yeah it’s been good to hear him talk positively about the club again but in fairness you would expect that due to his exacting standards and our improvement on the pitch recently.

As for the bolded, definitely. Two absolute winners that expect only success as the bare minimum. People who are so alike and equally abrasive were never designed to last forever.

Imagine having a player with his personality and leadership on the pitch for us now though. Like having a manager and general on the pitch.

simplyared

Thought he was too "over the top" earlier on. However have now changed my views on him. Love the way he keeps it simple. He tends to see things from a different angle. Listened to his analysis from way back on the Nani red card incident v Real Madrid. He's adamant it's red, which although against the flow, is correct imv. Singling out Mings in his half-time comments the other night makes you realize from a manager's point of view the seriousness of the player's actions and the consequencies for the outcome of the game. Great stuff!

Maticmaker

Keane knows exactly what he's doing, if sometimes not what he's saying. Quite often his remarks are 'on the ball' but if he said them quietly and with finesse he wouldn't get booked for so many gigs. Roy is as ruthless in his punditry as he was on the pitch, nothing new here!

Why do you label this interview as funny?? I totally agree with what he's saying there. Not only because I'm a Utd fan but people who have been associated with one particular club for long should have that much respect not to seek employment with one of their rivals. It's not like there is a dearth of clubs willing to take you in football. It's like Pep said recently, that he'd never manage Real Madrid or Man Utd because of his connections to Barca and City respectively. As much as I dislike the man, you gotta respect at least that aspect of his personality.
Funny because nobody else talks this frankly

Keane is a great pundit, because he’s different from everyone else and so hearing an alternative take in refreshing.

That’s not to say I agree with him, which I don’t a lot of the time. But most pundits you can swap in or out and you wouldn’t even notice. Most just pump out the same generic, cliched BS.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Funny because nobody else talks this frankly
Ah I see. Well I agree with you there. That's why I don't understand all the people on here who get wound up when he criticizes our players. He speaks as a fan and former player who feels the club isn't living up to the standards he helped set. If the players are offended by his comments, they are welcome to prove him wrong on the pitch.

Reynoldo

What's a pundit?
That’s really the question isn’t it?
Traditionally a pundit is some former player or manager who comes on to offer their insight about the game. Is he good at this? Not great really, as others have said his views are a bit simplistic for this day and age.

Nowadays a pundit is supposed to be more of an entertainer to give sky or BT sound bites and for this he is pure gold from their points of view.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He can be at times but other times can be ridiculously simplistic. His looking his nose down at Villa celebrating PL survival was ridiculous.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I can't stand his whole "that's his job" thing.

Does that not kind of imply that no player should ever be praised for anything ever?

criticalanalysis

Does that not kind of imply that no player should ever be praised for anything ever?
I think it's a comment about professionalism and having indvidual standards with the tongue firmly in cheek.

I don't have a problem with it. He's not exactly saying things like 'KDB - 20 asissts, that's his job'. It's more like De Gea making a one handed point blank save, which is spectacular but it really should have been saved, type-of-situations. Or Fred tracking back, tackling etc.

I do think his and most pundits' leash are inconsistent though but in general, it's fair game imo. Like the past month, Bruno has been getting far too much hype about how he's almost single handedly saved the club and leniency when he's been losing 5 balls and playing one very good ball of quality.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Ridiculous that a pundit gets a performances video.
Sky have gone the clickbait/views route.

I do think his and most pundits' leash are inconsistent though but in general, it's fair game imo. Like the past month, Bruno has been getting far too much hype about how he's almost single handedly saved the club and leniency when he's been losing 5 balls and playing one very good ball of quality.
You can say that again but even Ole said something similar which does say alot about his management if he can be influenced by the media so easily.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I think hes box office. Sky aint dumb he pulls numbers.

SirAF

Ageist
I think hes box office. Sky aint dumb he pulls numbers.
This. It’s not relevant whether or not he’s a «good» pundit - he’s an entertaining pundit! Box office as you say.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
This. It’s not relevant whether or not he’s a «good» pundit - he’s an entertaining pundit! Box office as you say.
Hes great to watch a lot of his sky sports clips have over a million views.
I want him and carra sit down again to compare the treble winning side to this scouse side lmfao carra was getting way to big for his boots then and keane was right they didnt come close to a treble.

Wilt

I don’t think he himself believes half the stuff he says, loves a reaction.

Ace WUM !

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ole needs to put Roy on an hourly contract and employ him as pre-match and HT team talk person. :lol: :lol:

I can see it going like this:
Mind you, those are college kids at HT during a basketball game.

Foxbatt

Roy Keane as Ole's assistant would scare the daylights out of the players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He's just maintaining his whole MO which is ceaseless standards and never being satisfied.

I remember him talking about forgetting winning stuff instantly.
It's pretty bonkers to most people.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd like to see him venture into the world of commentating. Not only because I like listening to him despite disagreeing with him the majority of the time, but you're likely to get some right gems from him talking over a game live.

I'd actually sit through the likes of Burnley vs Wolves and games of the sort if he were on commentary.