Roy Keane

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You give me a laugh that's for sure. Your posts are truly hideous and that my good friend, is the heinous crime that you have found yourself guilty of. Guilty by majority verdict.

Tbf, I wish I had of noticed you earlier - though you seem an irrelevant sort - as your transparent attempts at coming across as an intellectual and clever kind of chap are bewildering and most amusing. Do carry on, good sir.
You seem hellbent on totally derailing the thread, don't let me stop you.

Eoin McMahon

We can all get used to regular threads regarding Keane being posted as I feel the recent war of words Keane is involved in is only the beginning. Keane has had a number of high profile disputes that graced the headlines of the media through the years. However past outbursts that mostly occurred during his playing days or management/ coaching roles were more flash points rather than daily episodes of Keane vs World. In the past Keane wasn't a person who gave regular interviews or wanted the limelight or attention that many players crave for but Keane always made sure his voice was heard when he was pushed, he made sure of just that.

Keane is now in the very job that requires you to voice your views on a number of different topics in today's game and the stronger your opinion the more attention you receive. Keane has been given a platform with which he will get increasingly contentious, controversial and will lead to even more altercations that ultimately is ruining the legacy of a player I idolized more than any other, a player that showed leadership that I believe will never be matched in our sport and as a fellow Irishman he epitomized our people on the pitch- the fighting spirit, fearlessness and to stand up and be counted no matter what.

I hate to see threads like this, Keane should be remembered for what he did for this club on the pitch and he did more as a player than any other in instilling the values which helped the club become what it is today. Instead, if this media crusade Keane is on continues, Keane the player will instead be remembered as Keane the pundit.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We can all get used to regular threads regarding Keane being posted as I feel the recent war of words Keane is involved in is only the beginning. Keane has had a number of high profile disputes that graced the headlines of the media. However past outbursts that mostly occurred during his playing days or management/ coaching roles were more flash points rather than daily episodes of Keane vs World. In the past Keane wasn't a person who gave regular interviews or wanted the limelight or attention that many players crave for but Keane always made sure his voice was heard and when he was pushed he made sure of just that.

Keane is now in the very job that requires you to voice your views on a number of different topics in today's game and the stronger your opinion the more attention you receive. Keane has been given a platform on which he will get increasingly contentious, controversial and will lead to even more altercations that ultimately is ruining the legacy of a player I idolized more than any other player, that showed leadership that I believe will never be matched in our sport and as a fellow Irishman he epitomized our people on the pitch- the fighting spirit, fearlessness and to stand up and be counted no matter what.

I hate to see threads like this, Keane should be remembered for what he did for this club on the pitch and he did more as a player than any other in helping this club become what it is today. Instead if this media crusade Keane is on continues, Keane the player will instead be remembered as Keane the pundit.
Great post that, first in this thread for quite some time.

Eoin McMahon

Great post that, first in this thread for quite some time.
Cheers man, ya was looking back at a few posts and the threads really gone downhill, people arguing instead of discussing their views is usually the problem. Don't get involved with them mate it's a waste of time as long as theirs some of us posting with thought and consideration we can lead by example and improve the forum for all of us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s one of our GOAT’s no denying that. Walters said I’m not coming to fight you at your house meet me outside of work and we’ll do it! Don’t know who’s telling the truth but it’s just more drama surrounding Keane.
There's always drama surrounding confrontational individuals as opposed to the quieter ones. He's strong minded and has been outspoken throughout his life. But let's not forget his personality made him one of the great and most beloved captains of the modern game, so he's not exactly a raging lunatic people portray him as.

amolbhatia50k

We can all get used to regular threads regarding Keane being posted as I feel the recent war of words Keane is involved in is only the beginning. Keane has had a number of high profile disputes that graced the headlines of the media through the years. However past outbursts that mostly occurred during his playing days or management/ coaching roles were more flash points rather than daily episodes of Keane vs World. In the past Keane wasn't a person who gave regular interviews or wanted the limelight or attention that many players crave for but Keane always made sure his voice was heard when he was pushed, he made sure of just that.

Keane is now in the very job that requires you to voice your views on a number of different topics in today's game and the stronger your opinion the more attention you receive. Keane has been given a platform with which he will get increasingly contentious, controversial and will lead to even more altercations that ultimately is ruining the legacy of a player I idolized more than any other, a player that showed leadership that I believe will never be matched in our sport and as a fellow Irishman he epitomized our people on the pitch- the fighting spirit, fearlessness and to stand up and be counted no matter what.

I hate to see threads like this, Keane should be remembered for what he did for this club on the pitch and he did more as a player than any other in instilling the values which helped the club become what it is today. Instead, if this media crusade Keane is on continues, Keane the player will instead be remembered as Keane the pundit.
He's hardly on a crusade. He was on a talk where he actually spoke excellently, and was asked questions where an individual like him is simply going to speak his mind.

And anyone who isn't too young to have watched him as a player or too blinkered to see past their own nose, will remember him for a magnificent footballer and leader of men that he was.

Eoin McMahon

He's hardly on a crusade. He was on a talk where he actually spoke excellently, and was asked questions where an individual like him is simply going to speak his mind.

And anyone who isn't too young to have watched him as a player or too blinkered to see past their own nose, will remember him for a magnificent footballer and leader of men that he was.
Crusade was used figuratively in that he is working as a pundit and public speaker which has led him to being consistently quoted or interviewed more than ever. Keane is a great speaker and commands attention with every word and he will always give his honest opinion on whatever or whoever he asked on.
I believe it is important that one should never be afraid to speak their mind and have confidence in what they say, but with Keane I wonder now is this going to spiral out of control with the frequency that he is getting into the disputes he is currently getting into.

Keane as a player will always command my utmost respect and admiration but I always have hope he can one day be welcomed back to Old Trafford and honored as he should be. It's a shame for both Keane who's love for the club and who's blood,sweat and tears are forever entrenched in the Old Trafford pitch given over 12 glorious years and I can bet he would love nothing more than to be back on the field in red once more.
And its a shame that the club can't honor this man who made winning the only acceptable option, that drove us to new heights and the captain during the greatest period in the clubs history. I just seen Vincent Kompany is getting a statue outside the Etihad.

Keane was our general, Keane was our leader, Keane was our spirit, Keane was Manchester United.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Wait are you calling people who say Keane's a bitter dickhead snowflakes or people who downplay how good he was as a player?

Seems like its the first option. Fair enough that you felt the need to call out anyone who thinks a brilliant football player might be a dickhead as a person.

Were you offended by people not liking him or something?
I think so, maybe it’s because they’re both Irish? Anyone who doesn’t like Keane is a snowflake or something.

opopop

I think so, maybe it’s because they’re both Irish? Anyone who doesn’t like Keane is a snowflake or something.

I'm Irish myself but find it weird to get upset by it.

I mean I'm sure there's people out there who fume at the though of Mata and all he does is post blogs and run in slow motion, its hardly odd someone might dislike Roy Keane.

Brilliant as a player obviously. I think sometimes his determination on the pitch meant his passing and technical ability was a little underrated.

The Siege

The money from that event went to charity.
My observation wasn't limited to this event as the timeline I mentioned might have suggested. And even for charity, whining incessantly about the manager who gave you the opportunity to become brilliant isn't justified. SAF wasn't a saint, but Roy Keane sure AF wasn't close either.

Eoin McMahon

My observation wasn't limited to this event as the timeline I mentioned might have suggested. And even for charity, whining incessantly about the manager who gave you the opportunity to become brilliant isn't justified. SAF wasn't a saint, but Roy Keane sure AF wasn't close either.
SAF and Keane have been embroiled in this back and forth for almost 15 years that will continue as long as they both draw breath. They will always be asked bout each other and its clear how deeply both were hurt by the nature of their time together. Both men clearly respected and admired each other and the bitterness comes from a sense of sadness at how it came to this. I feel it hurt Keane more than anything. Keane loved Utd and SAF was his boss and for SAF Keane was his captain. Would be great to see them put aside everything and remember what the achieved together.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
The only other time he metioned is Utd fall out I can recall was in his book after Fergie's one or the Keane and Viera documentary.
Maybe the journos should stop asking him about it :D

SaintMuppet

Oh, I don’t think you can say those things on here.
Just as well I value honesty over some random Internet forum, we all play games.

The truth is if United get relegated and OT falls over it will make no difference to my life at all. So getting barred/banned from here is an utter irrelevance. It just means you have one less person to play with.

cya dick

Robbie Boy

Just as well I value honesty over some random Internet forum, we all play games.

The truth is if United get relegated and OT falls over it will make no difference to my life at all. So getting barred/banned from here is an utter irrelevance. It just means you have one less person to play with.

cya dick
Gee whiz, you probably shouldn’t have randomly quoted me, you seem really upset. Take a chill pill, it’s only the internet after all.

Oh, FYI, I don’t want you banned at all like, why would I. I don’t mind you calling me a dick, just the rules seem to disapprove of insults etc.

dev1l

Despite all, this is the Roy Keane I remember..

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Or else the need for hyper outrage threads is very snowflakey.
The Irish comment was tongue in cheek, but I do think you’re oddly defensive about Keane. I actually like Keane and despite having no affiliation to him I own both his books (and as a rule footballers autobiographies belong in the trash). I think his comments about Walters were dickish but it doesn’t really bother me, but labelling people snowflakes (unironically) for finding his comments distasteful? I don’t get it.

As for the hyper outrage thread, the title is a reference to the Gary Neville thread. Most of the negative comments regarding Keane amount to saying he’s kind of a dick. He’s an abrasive individual, some people will think he’s a dick

tombombadil

I enjoyed the interview. Thought it was good to see them both happy and expressing themselves. Very fun to listen to all their stories.

Good to see Keano has made peace with himself and what happened at the end in Old Trafford.

Sad to see he hasn't made peace with SAF.

He seems like a good, funny guy. But also that he can be stubborn. I think that is what made him a champion and what broke his career at the end.

He tries to be fair and balanced focusing on the facts, but you could see Gary didn't agree with some of what Keano said about his end at Man United so there may be some bias on some aspects of what he said.

Interviewer was a bit of a prick though.

Robbie Boy

The Irish comment was tongue in cheek, but I do think you’re oddly defensive about Keane. I actually like Keane and despite having no affiliation to him I own both his books (and as a rule footballers autobiographies belong in the trash). I think his comments about Walters were dickish but it doesn’t really bother me, but labelling people snowflakes (unironically) for finding his comments distasteful? I don’t get it.

As for the hyper outrage thread, the title is a reference to the Gary Neville thread. Most of the negative comments regarding Keane amount to saying he’s kind of a dick. He’s an abrasive individual, some people will think he’s a dick
Oddly defensive? Show me the posts? I think he’s a bit of a nob for what it’s worth. But I also feel this contributes to people playing down just what a brilliant player and influence he was on the club. I get that this is most likely a younger generation of fan who like to find outrage with everything.

My issue is more some of the delicate flowers in here. I mean we have posters making things up about ending Haalands career and look at the thread title ffs, sensationalism at its absolute finest. So yeah, great player who should be remembered as such but a bit of a wum / nob at times now, that’s my take. If you think that’s defensive then fair enough.

Nikelesh Reddy

I enjoyed the interview. Thought it was good to see them both happy and expressing themselves. Very fun to listen to all their stories.

Good to see Keano has made peace with himself and what happened at the end in Old Trafford.

Sad to see he hasn't made peace with SAF.

He seems like a good, funny guy. But also that he can be stubborn. I think that is what made him a champion and what broke his career at the end.

He tries to be fair and balanced focusing on the facts, but you could see Gary didn't agree with some of what Keano said about his end at Man United so there may be some bias on some aspects of what he said.

Interviewer was a bit of a prick though.
Was a great watch.Felt incredibly nostalgic watching Neville and Keane talk about the good old days....But also made me realise how far below the top we”ve fallen since then....

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That video is another nail in the theory that Keane, despite being one of our best ever captains, was just an OK passer. He was an excellent all-round footballer.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Oddly defensive? Show me the posts? I think he’s a bit of a nob for what it’s worth. But I also feel this contributes to people playing down just what a brilliant player and influence he was on the club. I get that this is most likely a younger generation of fan who like to find outrage with everything.

My issue is more some of the delicate flowers in here. I mean we have posters making things up about ending Haalands career and look at the thread title ffs, sensationalism at its absolute finest. So yeah, great player who should be remembered as such but a bit of a wum / nob at times now, that’s my take. If you think that’s defensive then fair enough.
Yeah fair point, oddly defensive is a little strong. Like I said though the title is a reference to the Gary Neville thread, rather than a fair reflection of what op was thinking. And the Haalands thing is stupid (and damn unfair) but I think that stems from ignorance on the subject rather than outright deceptiveness. Though it should be countered every time it’s bought up. Doing a player in on the pitch wasn’t exactly uncommon at the time either. The great player adjective is something I can definitely get behind, he was sensational.

Didn't see that, and he may well have done, but he was probably just managing expectations, but i'm sure in his head, even with the injuries he thought it would be a walk in the park in Scotland compared to the Premier League and providing his injuries held up he'd expect/want to carry on.
You replied to this fairly innocuous post with
He has one in literally every thread he enters. Never noticed him until this week by my god, some utter wank posts from him in here and the ‘Hating Lingard’ thread.

He’s made a holy show of himself in here.
Admittedly I don’t know this poster and you might have previous with them so this is where the oddly defensive came from, but I retract that now. It’s not like I thought there was much wrong with your post in the first place, but I thought there posts have been fairly benign (haven’t looked through properly though)

Snowflake. I mean if you think calling out people for slagging off a hugely influential part of our modern history snowflakes, then yes, you have truly subscribed to the modern day phenomena of becoming outraged at things on the internet for no real purpose. The thing that is most striking is that it’s an act from a-lot of people, all this faux-outrage.
If you call them a snowflake for ragging on Keane, and I call you a snowflake for calling the people ragging on Keane a snowflake, we’re going to need someone to call me a snowflake for calling you a snowflake for calling the guys ragging on Keane a snowflake.

Robbie Boy

Yeah fair point, oddly defensive is a little strong. Like I said though the title is a reference to the Gary Neville thread, rather than a fair reflection of what op was thinking. And the Haalands thing is stupid (and damn unfair) but I think that stems from ignorance on the subject rather than outright deceptiveness. Though it should be countered every time it’s bought up. Doing a player in on the pitch wasn’t exactly uncommon at the time either. The great player adjective is something I can definitely get behind, he was sensational.

You replied to this fairly innocuous post with

Admittedly I don’t know this poster and you might have previous with them so this is where the oddly defensive came from, but I retract that now. It’s not like I thought there was much wrong with your post in the first place, but I thought there posts have been fairly benign (haven’t looked through properly though)

If you call them a snowflake for ragging on Keane, and I call you a snowflake for calling the people ragging on Keane a snowflake, we’re going to need someone to call me a snowflake for calling you a snowflake for calling the guys ragging on Keane a snowflake.
It wasn’t an innocent post. That particular poster has form.

Robbie Boy

Here I thought you were only insulting, but it seems you're unimaginative as well. I bet you're fun to be around.
Stop derailing the thread ;)

And for the love of god stop being outraged and do something fun, it’s the weekend after all. No need to get so bent out of shape over an innocuous comment. I’m sorry I offended you though, you’re the soft sort obviously. Now get back to watching the game :angel:

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Class. Lovely forward between the lines, which is just what we need now. And that's in addition to his engine and defensive strength.

BigBebe

He is really interesting on Sky at the moment. Very reasonable about his relationship with SAF and his role in the team.

Renegade

Loving listening to him right now. Makes me miss the old school box
To box CM.

starman

Was really good tonight, interesting what he said at the end (though missed most of it as was the phone) that he's knows very few clubs will give him a chance.