Roy Keane

Walters_19_MuFc

Have to say really what was Roy talking about. He has been super critical of everything UTD and tonight just poorly defended his argument. Was strange for me. Even Souness went quiet.
I feel he made some valid points

Spoke about Ole needing time and needing to be backed in the market. Said Pep and Klopp, especially the former, being backed by City and the fact they didnt take off until they spent.

Yes, Ole has spent, but I feel our team needs a lot more work than City's did, for example. They already had a spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva and Aguero. Top class player, who had previously won the title. Then you had Sterling, De Bruyne and a few other top players.

Now, this isn't me saying Ole, given the money, will do what Pep has done, but I feel he should at least get the chance to try and do so.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel he made some valid points

Spoke about Ole needing time and needing to be backed in the market. Said Pep and Klopp, especially the former, being backed by City and the fact they didnt take off until they spent.

Yes, Ole has spent, but I feel our team needs a lot more work than City's did, for example. They already had a spine of Kompany, Fernandinho, Silva and Aguero. Top class player, who had previously won the title. Then you had Sterling, De Bruyne and a few other top players.

Now, this isn't me saying Ole, given the money, will do what Pep has done, but I feel he should at least get the chance to try and so so.
Keane wasn't right about that. He suggested Pep did nothing in year one and when Charrager said he got top 4 Keane was left blank without any reply.

Pep, Klopp, these are title winners before they came to England. Charrager even told Keane. And Keane said yeah but Dortmund isn't Yeovil, as though winning the league ahead of a beastly Bayern side means nothing. He had his pants pulled down in that debate to be honest. The bias towards Ole stunk of how ESPN pundits are biased for Liverpool.

Walters_19_MuFc

Keane wasn't right about that. He suggested Pep did nothing in year one and when Charrager said he got top 4 Keane was left blank without any reply.

Pep, Klopp, these are title winners before they came to England. Charrager even told Keane. And Keane said yeah but Dortmund isn't Yeovil, as though winning the league ahead of a beastly Bayern side means nothing. He had his pants pulled down in that debate to be honest. The bias towards Ole stunk of how ESPN pundits are biased for Liverpool.
I personally believe he should have been winning the league that year. Had a fantastic spine and other top class players. Didn't Leicester win the league that year? He had no excuses!

As for finishing fourth, we still have a chance to do so, too. Unfortunately, we haven't had the luxury of having all of our players fit and have struggled because of it.

His last point on Klopp wasnt fair, but again, it took him time get Liverpool to where they're at now.

Machine Elements

Love Keano and thought he always tells it like it is but dissappointed with him on Ole. He should be acknowledging that Ole as a manager is not good enough for United and not back his old friend. When a Liverpool legend speaks more truth about Man United than a United legend you know it's got too sentimental.

SirAF

Ageist
Love Keano and thought he always tells it like it is but dissappointed with him on Ole. He should be acknowledging that Ole as a manager is not good enough for United and not back his old friend. When a Liverpool legend speaks more truth about Man United than a United legend you know it's got too sentimental.
I agree, but Keane and Solskjaer are great mates so it’s natural that Keane is backing him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
but but but its Pogba's fault.

Foxbatt

Keane's best mate at United was Ole. After the huge bust up with SAF, Ole was the one who stood for Keane. He is not a man who forgets things like that. He will bat for Ole no matter what. So we have to take it in context.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He's backing his mate, Ole. Not United.
Absolutely correct.

The Old-Boys network at United, now a firm force in the footy media is a problem akin to the drinking culture that Fergie weeded out imo.

They have too little sense and too much public influence (which does impact upon the club). Their opinions are generally what all oppos want Utd to do - give Moyes more time, hire Ole, keep Ole etc.

I grew up hero-worshiping them and I now really cannot stand them.

They're nearly all proven failures at management and appear to be dinosaurs in their approach to the game and their opinions on modern footy.

Keane has gone from an alpha-leader athlete to a gibbering curmudgeon old man who sits on TV frothing at the mouth spouting tired clichés that mean nothing of any worth.

He appears now as a bully who doesn't like it when anyone stands up to him and calls out his idiotic anachronisms for what they are.

Roy Keane is Utd's Souness.

He was about 1 comment away from chinning Carragher :lol::lol::lol:
Might not go down how most on here would expect - Carragher actually boxes every day, is bigger than Keane and keeps himself in good shape.

I know it goes against the accepted narrative, but there's a decent enough chance that Carragher would be the one doing the chinning if it came to it (which it wouldn't, but you get the point).

And good on Carragher for standing up to Keane's bias, bullshit rantings - at least someone in the media will put the club's interests in front of their mate's interests.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Absolutely correct.

The Old-Boys network at United, now a firm force in the footy media is a problem akin to the drinking culture that Fergie weeded out imo.

They have too little sense and too much public influence (which does impact upon the club). Their opinions are generally what all oppos want Utd to do - give Moyes more time, hire Ole, keep Ole etc.

They're nearly all proven failures at management and appear to be dinosaurs in their approach to the game and their opinions on modern footy.

Keane has gone from an alpha-leader athlete to a gibbering curmudgeon old man who sits frothing at the mouth spouting tired clichés that mean nothing of any worth.

He appears now as a bully who doesn't like it when anyone stands up to him and calls out his idiotic anachronisms for what they are.

Might not go down how most on here would expect - Carragher actually boxes every day, is bigger than Keane and keeps himself in good shape.

I know it goes against the accepted narrative, but there's a decent enough chance that Carragher would be the one doing the chinning if it came to it (which it wouldn't, but you get the point).

And good on Carragher for standing up to Keane's bias, bullshit rantings - at least someone in the media will put the club's interests in front of their mate's interests.
My guess is you can't stand him because he doesn't share your opinion. He also, most likely, knows more about football than you.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My guess is you can't stand him because he doesn't share your opinion. He also, most likely, knows more about football than you.
The thing I find most incredible, is that armchair experts think that their football knowledge surpasses that of people who actually played the game at the highest level!! Sure they may not have become great managers but they know more about the game than we can ever presume to know.

It's one thing to disagree with them, but to come out and say their opinions are garbage, while those of a horde of armchair experts hold more validity, is truly mind boggling for me.

Rhyme Animal

He thinks Moyes should've been given more time... I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thought Utd give Ole Solksjaer the managerial job - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thinks Ole should be given another year - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thinks Mourinho should've been given more time - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

What am I supposed to say...? The guy spouts utter fecking rubbish that borders on parody.

Keane was a great player - but he's a fecking crap manager and an even worse pundit.

The thing I find most incredible, is that armchair experts think that their football knowledge surpasses that of people who actually played the game at the highest level!! Sure they may not have become great managers but they know more about the game than we can ever presume to know.

It's one thing to disagree with them, but to come out and say their opinions are garbage, while those of a horde of armchair experts hold more validity, is truly mind boggling for me.
Is Carragher an 'armchair expert' then? Because I agree with his stance on Ole and Utd.

Oh, and are you also an 'armchair expert'...?

Both genuine questions.

King7Eric

He thinks Moyes should've been given more time... I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thought Utd give Ole Solksjaer the managerial job - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thinks Ole should be given another year - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

He thinks Mourinho should've been given more time - I think that's an utterly ludicrous notion.

What am I supposed to say...? The guy spouts utter fecking rubbish that borders on parody.

Keane was a great player - but he's a fecking crap manager and an even worse pundit.

Is Carragher an 'armchair expert' then? Because I agree with his stance on Ole and Utd.

Oh, and are you also an 'armchair expert'...?

Both genuine questions.
Carragher is most certainly not. And fair enough if you agree with him.

As for me, I don't pass judgements on here, do I? I was simply agreeing with what @Catt wrote, I wasn't making any point saying the manager should be sacked or Keane is right or wrong.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

The fact they have played the game makes it even more mind-blowing that some speak like utter simpletons.

I don't think Keane is but I would happily back 90% of punters I've ever come across on an internet forum over the likes of Garth Crooks or Paul Merson. You don't have to have a great knowledge of the game to play it (especially now you have one billion coaches plus technology holding your hand).

Hambley

Roy tells tough and unpleasant things, but he tells the truth which irritates so many people. He tells our managers should have been given more time? Apart from Moyes and looking at our owners and their mismanagement then hell yes. Instead, Glazers treated managers like shit without any respect to cover mistakes of their own. Roy claims that Martial is mediocre? Isn't that a fair point too considering his inconsistency and bad attitude? Just overthink it and you get whatever painful his conclusions are these conclusions just reflect our failure and years degradation as a football club.

King7Eric

The fact they have played the game makes it even more mind-blowing that some speak like utter simpletons.

I don't think Keane is but I would happily back 90% of punters I've ever come across on an internet forum over the likes of Garth Crooks or Paul Merson. You don't have to have a great knowledge of the game to play it (especially now you have one billion coaches plus technology holding your hand).
You don't need to play to understand the game, but surely you gotta concede that players who have played at the highest level and been at the pinnacle of the game, guys like Keane or Neville or Carragher would know a fair bit more about the technicalities than we would.

You don't have to agree with them, but to say that they are yapping nonsense while your opinion is correct is a bit rich. And I don't get the failed manager jab that keeps getting thrown around. Would people from th caf make better managers? Having won leagues and Champions leagues makes them more than qualified to express opinions about what it takes to win, certainly more qualified than the average caftard.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Absolutely correct.

Keane has gone from an alpha-leader athlete to a gibbering curmudgeon old man who sits on TV frothing at the mouth spouting tired clichés that mean nothing of any worth.

Roy Keane is Utd's Souness.

Keane was a handy boxer in his youth.He also flattened Schmeichel who was a lot bigger than Carragher.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Maybe he just has an opinion and some of you aren't grown up or smart enough to accept that it might be different to yours?

Also where I say maybe, what I mean is that this is exactly what it is.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Also, you have to be a different level of fecking stupid if after all the things Keane has said over the years, the thing you choose to take exception to is him not slagging off Solskjaer enough for your liking.

The Uncle of All Uncles

I think the reason he hasn't called out the owners is because back in his playing days he likely had very little to do with the owners and their fingerprints weren't all over the club in the way they are today thanks to Ferguson being the all-powerful boss. Roy Keane only ever knew Utd under Ferguson, so he probably doesn't get how the culture of failure and under-performance that has been so handsomely rewarded by Woodward and Judge over the past 7 years actually stems from the ownership down, and doesn't just come from the manager.

He really needs to have a think about why Utd are such a joke these days, with fat contracts given out to fat players and all the trappings of a cushy job making it seem like these guys are tenured professors with total job security in the face of staggering under-performance.

Hell, if I were a premier league footballer I would love to get a contract at United. I'd put my feet up and relax, play the PS4 and pile on the weight for about four and a half years. Then I'd put in a few appearances come renewal time and "run around a bit" showing passion. Once the new fat contract comes through it's back on easy street. No worries, just good livin'! This place must be heaven for the unmotivated player. It's like hitting the jackpot.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Roy Keane can say whatever he likes. I don't always agree with him, but respect his passion and his honesty. We need another Roy Keane.

Josh 76

I know all that. I'm just saying that other people box too (Carragher boxes every day was my point), and there are harder men (in footy) than Keane.
Carragher does boxercise to keep fit. He wouldnt last one round even against an amateur boxer (any age) .

hubbuh

:lol:

Vault Dweller

The Old-Boys network at United
I would argue Keane isn't part of that, I think he's just sticking up for someone he's close to, whether right or wrong. Before Ole got the job I certainly wouldn't have called Keane biased towards United, he spoke his mind on the club and while he was a fan of the club, it wasn't always what we wanted to hear. I think since Ole came in he has changed and will not criticize him, due to the fact they are really close.

There are certain ex-United pundits you would like to see be harsher on the club, but Keane did used to be and I just think has a lot of personal loyalty to Ole.

rollingstoned1

Also, you have to be a different level of fecking stupid if after all the things Keane has said over the years, the thing you choose to take exception to is him not slagging off Solskjaer enough for your liking.
apparently he's gone soft because he says Ole should be backed, which we have no reason to believe is not what he actually thinks but just what he is doing out of loyalty. But calling Ole out of depth the way he did darren fletcher in 2005 wouldn't have been soft but true to character because it concurs with what most want.

Devil81

I'm glad he made the Lampard point as it's clear the media thinks the sun shines out of his arse when in reality he's achieved just as little yet is getting a free ride.

I'd much rather the Chelsea squad than United's as well, he's got numbers in all positions where we seem to be down to one man per position.

lsd

The Oracle

So Keane should only voice your opinion and not his own ?

johanovic

Keano just calls things as he sees them and he´s talking/having a whole lot more football knowledge than most of us here in this forum. He also has one personal trait that was very valuable when he was playing in telling things how he sees them. Was he always right, no of course not but he was a leader of men on the pitch and a quite good football player as well. He´s not contantly trying to be politically correct like most people and when he was the captain of Man Utd you better give your all and make an effort or he would be all over you no matter what your name was.

Looking at Pogba and Lingard for example they would not have gotten away with behaving like the manchilds they are. Football is in many ways a simple game where total dedication, work rate and focusing on the football matters must take precedent over social media/gloryhunting. Ronaldo was a perfect example of a player willing to put the maximum in and all those that want can read about how the tough training enviroment at United helped shape him into the player he is. You hardly get the feeling that while Pogba is globetrotting around the world while injured speaks of a dedication in getting fit and ready to play, does it?

As for Keano stating that OGS needs a year at least I totally agree with him. Why?
1. He has gotten rid of 8 players on huge salaries that were not going to be a part of United´s future and shown no mercy there
2. The quality of the squad he inherited was just plainly awful as must of us know.
2. OGS has brought in more youngsters in Greenwood,Williams and others coming through also.
3. I like the 3 signings he made and I´m sure he will continue on a similar note IF given funds by the owners. If there are no signings this window I think OGS is done sadly.

Why is the club in this position?
1. Bad transition planing when Fergie and Gill left
2. 3 managers that did not work and THEY brought in a whole raft of players for around 900 million without any of them turning out to be a huge success
3. Woodward and the owners are hardly helping matters despite providing funds for signings as Old Trafford is degrading, Glazers are sucking money out of the club and Woodward is out of his depth in football matters.

Back to Keano and at least he say´s things like they are and shows a passion for how things are and even though I know it´s not going to happen it would be a joy to see him on the training field with OGS hammering in the values and privilege of being a Man Utd player. Funny how we are paying one of the highest wage bills in football but getting so little in return. That´s because a quite a few of the remaining squad are also not good enough and then some of those with talent do not seem to be botherd in putting in a effort. Come to think of it despite all the signins made in the last 7 years it´s Rashford,McTominey and now Greenwood and Williams that have impressed most.

Ixion

One of our best ever players but seems like an absolute cnut (obvious from the Haland tackle). No time for him as a person but a club legend.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not really, Keane, Scholes, Neville, Evra, Rio and Giggs have all been pretty consistent with giving whoever's in charge more time. Yes they've been critical of how managers have managed the team or gone about doing certain things but they've never said anyone should be sacked or isn't good enough. It tends to be the scouse lot who keep insisting the coaches aren't good enough but what would they know? 30 years without a title says about as much as you need to know.
No they haven't. They're massive hypocrites. This season is very similar to van Gaals 2nd and they couldn't go a second without criticising (righfully) him. Now, all we hear is about how its the best we can achieve and that the man in charge needs more and more time.

You forgotten the infamous "boring, sideways style of foobtall" quote? Still applies now - never been repeated though.

Stay away from club legends as managers.

Di Maria's angel

I love Keano and I normally agree with most of what he says, but his defense of Ole is biased as fook. And giving Moyes more time is just crazy talk. But I do love him.
Precisely. I love the fact that he was so angry at just defending us. Still disagree with most of what he said.

Di Maria's angel

Theres a difference between fans and pundits - the latters opinion counts for less when theres bias involved. Besides, I've always felt that footballers aren't very intelligent. Not saying I am - but a vast majority come off as quite stupid.

Green_Red

What really fecking annoys me about Livertools is that they think Klopp is some sort of football genius and refuse to remember what Liverpool were like before they signed VVD. They were a hopeless case. One signing can make all the difference in being challengers and being Champions. Take him out of the team and they buckle against most teams. The fact that we had any chances to take on their defence is proof they have a soft centre because even with our injury ravaged midfield we were able to get through their midfield. We'll see how many games they can win in a row when VVD gets injured.

Di Maria's angel

What really fecking annoys me about Livertools is that they think Klopp is some sort of football genius and refuse to remember what Liverpool were like before they signed VVD. They were a hopeless case. One signing can make all the difference in being challengers and being Champions. Take him out of the team and they buckle against most teams. The fact that we had any chances to take on their defence is proof they have a soft centre because even with our injury ravaged midfield we were able to get through their midfield. We'll see how many games they can win in a row when VVD gets injured.
Someone needs to pass a fever onto him. Will keep him out for at least a week.

simplyared

An important thing to take into consideration re Keane's comments where he believes we should give Ole another year for one or another reason:
As some posters have already pointed out, they are best of mates and continue to keep tight contact with each other. Which means Kean is biased, he will fight tooth and nail to defend Ole, and therefore his comments invalid and useless. End of!

Classnordic

An important thing to take into consideration re Keane's comments where he believes we should give Ole another year for one or another reason:
As some posters have already pointed out, they are best of mates and continue to keep tight contact with each other. Which means Kean is biased, he will fight tooth and nail to defend Ole, and therefore his comments invalid and useless. End of!
Yes let´s shutdown every Solskjaer supporter for theyre opinions. Imagine actually supporting the team and it´s manager.
Keane´s opinions regarding Solskjaer can very well be valid even when they are mates.

Rhyme Animal

Absolutely correct.

The thing I found utterly laughable, like literal comedy was that we've just lost to Liverpool, you've got a manager playing young players with fractured backs - and within minutes Keane is sticking the boot in to...

Pogba!?

I mean please, at least fecking try to achieve some kind of relevance in what you're getting paid to do. It's just pathetic, Pogba hasn't played in months and yet that's the first (and only) name that Keane can manage to spit out in his idiotic rant.

He's frantically frothing at the mouth to defend a failing manager, and criticizing a player who's not played because of injury.

It's just ludicrous, and it's so obviously just someone clutching at straws to serve their own personal agenda.

Utd deserves better than this.

Machine Elements

So Keane should only voice your opinion and not his own ?
Yeah, because that’s exactly what I meant in my previous post :rolleyes:

Anyone with a half brain can see Ole’s out of his depth and doesn’t deserve to be in this job. Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in world football if not the biggest and we should have the best in business; be it players, coaches, managers or directors. That’s what Carragher said in his debate with Keane and also why I said a Liverpool legend makes more sense than a United legend about Man United which proves it’s got too sentimental.

Fair enough if Roy really thinks Ole is the right man to get Manchester United back to the top but I don’t believe for a second that he really thinks Ole is that guy. He can’t be that daft. He probably knows Ole is not up to the task but still backing him because he’s his mate. Then again you can’t be 100% sure as he also says David feckin Moyes deserved more time. Maybe he’s just deluded.

arthurka

Keane's best mate at United was Ole. After the huge bust up with SAF, Ole was the one who stood for Keane. He is not a man who forgets things like that. He will bat for Ole no matter what. So we have to take it in context.
But he also supported the claim that Ole needed time with other title winning managers that came here didn't do any better and got longer time and more money to spend. Even they couldn't get this team going. So I agree with Keane here it's but the manager who is at fault it's the owners and CEO.