Roy Keane

Denis' cuff

Keano just calls things as he sees them and he´s talking/having a whole lot more football knowledge than most of us here in this forum. He also has one personal trait that was very valuable when he was playing in telling things how he sees them. Was he always right, no of course not but he was a leader of men on the pitch and a quite good football player as well. He´s not contantly trying to be politically correct like most people and when he was the captain of Man Utd you better give your all and make an effort or he would be all over you no matter what your name was.

Looking at Pogba and Lingard for example they would not have gotten away with behaving like the manchilds they are. Football is in many ways a simple game where total dedication, work rate and focusing on the football matters must take precedent over social media/gloryhunting. Ronaldo was a perfect example of a player willing to put the maximum in and all those that want can read about how the tough training enviroment at United helped shape him into the player he is. You hardly get the feeling that while Pogba is globetrotting around the world while injured speaks of a dedication in getting fit and ready to play, does it?

As for Keano stating that OGS needs a year at least I totally agree with him. Why?
1. He has gotten rid of 8 players on huge salaries that were not going to be a part of United´s future and shown no mercy there
2. The quality of the squad he inherited was just plainly awful as must of us know.
2. OGS has brought in more youngsters in Greenwood,Williams and others coming through also.
3. I like the 3 signings he made and I´m sure he will continue on a similar note IF given funds by the owners. If there are no signings this window I think OGS is done sadly.

Why is the club in this position?
1. Bad transition planing when Fergie and Gill left
2. 3 managers that did not work and THEY brought in a whole raft of players for around 900 million without any of them turning out to be a huge success
3. Woodward and the owners are hardly helping matters despite providing funds for signings as Old Trafford is degrading, Glazers are sucking money out of the club and Woodward is out of his depth in football matters.

Back to Keano and at least he say´s things like they are and shows a passion for how things are and even though I know it´s not going to happen it would be a joy to see him on the training field with OGS hammering in the values and privilege of being a Man Utd player. Funny how we are paying one of the highest wage bills in football but getting so little in return. That´s because a quite a few of the remaining squad are also not good enough and then some of those with talent do not seem to be botherd in putting in a effort. Come to think of it despite all the signins made in the last 7 years it´s Rashford,McTominey and now Greenwood and Williams that have impressed most.
excellent post. Every word.

good to see somebody with a grasp of events.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Maybe only part of that squabble with carragher was shown on the US telly but the part I saw, Keane was a bit off. Most times he’s dead on, imo. This time it was all over the place.

lsd

The Oracle
Maybe only part of that squabble with carragher was shown on the US telly but the part I saw, Keane was a bit off. Most times he’s dead on, imo. This time it was all over the place.

He spoke like a hurt Utd fan which makes a change from Neville and Co bending over backwards to sound impartial

Swearing Budgie

No. Fergie was mint but he also signed a lot of shite. And there was all that horse bollocks.

He said nobody was bigger than the club but muttered "except me, of course" under his breath.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He spoke like a hurt Utd fan which makes a change from Neville and Co bending over backwards to sound impartial
Which iirc, is a departure for Keane. He's been quite critical of us in the past. Almost like he never was here. Maybe back then he was still bitter about the way he got let go and now he can speak more like a fan, especially as OGS is the boos.

poleglass red

No, he was bang on the money. Maybe Carragher is a bit more polished in the way he says things, but Keane made very valid points.

Mainoldo

I'm glad he made the Lampard point as it's clear the media thinks the sun shines out of his arse when in reality he's achieved just as little yet is getting a free ride.

I'd much rather the Chelsea squad than United's as well, he's got numbers in all positions where we seem to be down to one man per position.
He didn’t sign anybody.. but has got more number. You think he didn’t want to sell some of the players he had to keep due to not being able to replace them?

Also he’s been a manager for two years and is already above our manager in the table. So Keane is talking rubbish yet again but it sounds amazing.. so people love it.

Lemansky

Roy Keane can say whatever he likes. I don't always agree with him, but respect his passion and his honesty. We need another Roy Keane.
Exactly. That goes for all our past players/legends. They can say what they want we don’t always need to agree. On this point I am glad he called out the media love for a underperforming Frank Lampard.

poleglass red

He didn’t sign anybody.. but has got more number. You think he didn’t want to sell some of the players he had to keep due to not being able to replace them?

Also he’s been a manager for two years and is already above our manager in the table. So Keane is talking rubbish yet again but it sounds amazing.. so people love it.
He didn't but the club did, Pulisic was a 60 million quid signing done before the ban. They also got Abraham back from loan, who has been a revelation for them, so he'd effectively 2 new attacking players coming into his squad. Not ideal in that he lost Hazard but the claim he's working with hardly any players is a bit off. He had a decent enough squad that needs a bit of tinkering, we need a complete rebuild.

Mainoldo

He didn't but the club did, Pulisic was a 60 million quid signing done before the ban. They also got Abraham back from loan, who has been a revelation for them, so he'd effectively 2 new attacking players coming into his squad. Not ideal in that he lost Hazard but the claim he's working with hardly any players is a bit off. He had a decent enough squad that needs a bit of tinkering, we need a complete rebuild.
You just told me the got rid of arguable one of the best players in world football and replaced him with Dortmund’s bench player and sold a top tier striker whilst replacing him with a championship striker. Which is basically what happened but you’ve spun it into a positive.

You then said we need a complete rebuild to sound like we are a mess but fail to point out we signed arguably England’s most promising RB and the worlds most expensive defender? Like am I suppose to believe Lampard has a one up. We aren’t Chelsea fans but if you believe Chelsea do not require a big rebuild and Chelsea fans aren’t happy that the most successful English club in the last decade are currently 4th and miles off being the best in the premier league maybe you’ll realise there are no positives about the two current situations.

However one is moving in a better direction than the other. Should they spend money which is yet to be established and has gone under the radar.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at Pogba and Lingard for example they would not have gotten away with behaving like the manchilds they are. Football is in many ways a simple game where total dedication, work rate and focusing on the football matters must take precedent over social media/gloryhunting. Ronaldo was a perfect example of a player willing to put the maximum in and all those that want can read about how the tough training enviroment at United helped shape him into the player he is. You hardly get the feeling that while Pogba is globetrotting around the world while injured speaks of a dedication in getting fit and ready to play, does it?
Keane's outspoken emphasis on football-first dedication and professionalism is entirely correct.

However, it can sometimes come a cross as rather hypocritical and holier-than-thou given his own conduct as a player. While he may be entirely right when he criticizes the professionalism of Lingard for releasing his own clothing line or Pogba for being too social-media orientated, it would be nice if there was some acknowledgement that both are in fact much, much, much, much better professionals off the field than he was as a player.

God only knows the criticism Pogba and Lingard would get if instead of posting on Instagram they were going into games hungover, getting thrown out of wine bars, getting fined for incidents in nightclubs, being banned from other night clubs, getting fined (again) for altercations with barmen, being accused and sued by women for drunkenly slandering them or, most spectacularly, spending a night in a cell after being arrested on suspicion of assaulting a woman on the week of a cup final in a year when the team were going for a historic treble. Give me the manchild behavior any day.

johanovic

One of our best ever players but seems like an absolute cnut (obvious from the Haland tackle). No time for him as a person but a club legend.
How the hell can you have no time for a person that you do not know? The Haland tackle was bad and out of order but perhaps you should
Keane's outspoken emphasis on football-first dedication and professionalism is entirely correct.

However, it can sometimes come a cross as rather hypocritical and holier-than-thou given his own conduct as a player. While he may be entirely right when he criticizes the professionalism of Lingard for releasing his own clothing line or Pogba for being too social-media orientated, it would be nice if there was some acknowledgement that both are in fact much, much, much, much better professionals off the field than he was as a player.

God only knows the criticism Pogba and Lingard would get if instead of posting on Instagram they were going into games hungover, getting thrown out of wine bars, getting fined for incidents in nightclubs, being banned from other night clubs, getting fined (again) for altercations with barmen, being accused and sued by women for drunkenly slandering them or, most spectacularly, spending a night in a cell after being arrested on suspicion of assaulting a woman on the week of a cup final in a year when the team were going for a historic treble. Give me the manchild behavior any day.
Ok so you are happy with soft slackers like Pogba and Lingard rather then guys who give their all on the field every time? Lingard is án attacking midfielder that does not score or assist and Pogba is all about himself. It's unbelivable to see him globetrotting around the world like he's on holiday rather than working on his rehabilitation. Pogba and Lingard would not have played a single minute in the past great teams.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

I'd rather have our players be judged for their on the field actions than any idiotic things off the field.
Yeah, I get that they're representatives of the club but United win trophies based on how they play, as Gordon Strachan might say, on the big green area out there.

poleglass red

You just told me the got rid of arguable one of the best players in world football and replaced him with Dortmund’s bench player and sold a top tier striker whilst replacing him with a championship striker. Which is basically what happened but you’ve spun it into a positive.

You then said we need a complete rebuild to sound like we are a mess but fail to point out we signed arguably England’s most promising RB and the worlds most expensive defender? Like am I suppose to believe Lampard has a one up. We aren’t Chelsea fans but if you believe Chelsea do not require a big rebuild and Chelsea fans aren’t happy that the most successful English club in the last decade are currently 4th and miles off being the best in the premier league maybe you’ll realise there are no positives about the two current situations.

However one is moving in a better direction than the other. Should they spend money which is yet to be established and has gone under the radar.
I merely pointed out that Chelsea did in fact get players this season, as your original post said they hadn't. Chelsea have lost one of the top footballers in world football, effectively so have we with Pogba's prolonged absence.
Dortmund bench player cost 58 million, was one of the most sought after young players in world football. Dortmund kept him on loan even after Chelsea signed him. The championship striker is 4th highest goalscorer in league this season. AWB as England's most promising right back, think Alexander-Arnold might have something to say about that. Lampard needs to strengthen, all teams need to strengthen, but what he had over us was a more settled backline and mid. We addressed our backline in off season, we signed AWB and Maguire, resigned De Gea. Next we need to strengthen our mid, again Chelsea's mid even minus Hazard isn't too bad. Players like Kante, Barkley, Jorginho, Kovacic, Willian and Mount, not exactly world beaters and I'm sure they will look to add to it, but certainly a lot better than what we've had to endure considering our best mid in Pogba has been missing most of the season.
I'm not so sure Chelsea are moving in a better direction, our squad is thin, we will look to improve that but we 6 pts behind with a game in hand after playing most of the season minus our only creative mid and centre forward. They've now lost Abraham with injury. We get a positive signing in Jan (big if) and with Pogba to come back, I'd feel strongly we can catch them.Pep'd first season, no trophies, 3rd in pl.Klopp 4th in his first full season as manager. It wouldn't be unheard of for Ole to get 4th, he's not in bad company if he does.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How the hell can you have no time for a person that you do not know? The Haland tackle was bad and out of order but perhaps you should

Ok so you are happy with soft slackers like Pogba and Lingard rather then guys who give their all on the field every time? Lingard is án attacking midfielder that does not score or assist and Pogba is all about himself. It's unbelivable to see him globetrotting around the world like he's on holiday rather than working on his rehabilitation. Pogba and Lingard would not have played a single minute in the past great teams.
I'd rather have our players be judged for their on the field actions than any idiotic things off the field.
Yeah, I get that they're representatives of the club but United win trophies based on how they play, as Gordon Strachan might say, on the big green area out there.
I have zero problem judging players based on what they do on the pitch, nor in finding Pogba & Lingard lacking in that regard. In fact I wish people would focus more on that and less on off the pitch behavior.

@johanovic's post specifically referred to off the field activities being indicative of a lack of dedication though. By which standard Keane was many multiple times less dedicated a professional than either Pogba or Lingard. So using him as some sort of reference point in that regards is rather self-defeating.

If being too active on social media shows a lack of dedication then getting drunk, barred from multiple nightclubs and arrested certainly does. If globetrotting around the world while injured speaks to a lack of dedication, how about being hungover in the match in which you get injured and then getting shitfaced on a weekly basis through your recovery period? Lingard and Pogba are paragons of professionalism in comparison to Keane in this regard.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I have zero problem judging players based on what they do on the pitch, nor in finding Pogba & Lingard lacking in that regard. In fact I wish people would focus more on that and less on off the pitch behavior.

@johanovic's post specifically referred to off the field activities being indicative of a lack of dedication though. By which standard Keane was many multiple times less dedicated a professional than either Pogba or Lingard. So using him as some sort of reference point in that regards is rather self-defeating.

If being too active on social media shows a lack of dedication then getting drunk, barred from multiple nightclubs and arrested certainly does. If globetrotting around the world while injured speaks to a lack of dedication, how about being hungover in the match in which you get injured and then getting shitfaced on a weekly basis through your recovery period? Lingard and Pogba are paragons of professionalism in comparison to Keane in this regard.
Shh, they don't wanna hear it mate.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

RUCK4444

Red00012

Irwin99

err what :lol: he dispossessed Davids 4 or 5 times in that game (caught him with a challenge early on mind) , side-stepped Davids press with quick passes and the one time Davids pressured Keane enough to nearly take the ball Keane beat him with a sliding tackle. It's not nostalgia, it's on the highlights video on youtube.

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
You know you're getting old when you've to deal with people questioning how good or important Roy Keane was to Utd.

I still actively experience the anxiety of a Utd line up that doesn't have Keane in it.

90 + 5min

You know you're getting old when you've to deal with people questioning how good or important Roy Keane was to Utd.

I still actively experience the anxiety of a Utd line up that doesn't have Keane in it.
Haha. Spot on. People questioning his performance that night are either supporters of a rival team or just to young to understand the game.

Can7onA

Hehehe so true.

SirAF

Ageist

This. fecking eejits.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
People that lie about Keanos quality are conspiracy theorists. Keane was a top top player but you get people focusing on the negative side to stir up stupidity. And no he's not dead to me. Don't even know the guy. Some people are just weird. If everyone was honest, at some point you would annoy someone but a lot of people are just weak minded liars who fall into the crowd and are about as memorable.

Josh 76

What the feck was that.

What did Steven fecking Gerrard do in the 2005 CL final apart from score and win a penalty. The first half he was non existent and the last 30 mins he was one of the 11 Liverpool players parking the bus.

Red00012

Thanks @GifLord

Painful reading from a journalist who’s clearly an ABU or a AB Keane.

He could do a weekly article on every player who scores a important goal but didn’t really do much to note after this if he wants to be neutral. Doesn’t make him right though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People who think Roy Keane played well against Juve: Teammates, former players, Alex Ferguson and other coaches

People who think Roy Keane didn't play well against Juve: some guy on Reddit

Whose opinion do you trust?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What fecking nonsense that article is. Keane was immense that night a proper captains performance. Don't get me wrong it was a great team performance from United Keane wasn't the only great player out there but his performance was the one that inspired us to victory. Too many people trying to re-write history especially ours. I've noticed it a lot lately.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What fecking nonsense that article is. Keane was immense that night a proper captains performance. Don't get me wrong it was a great team performance from United Keane wasn't the only great player out there but his performance was the one that inspired us to victory. Too many people trying to re-write history especially ours. I've noticed it a lot lately.
Really annoys me when people try to rewrite history

padzilla

Hipster
Not like The Athletic to be patronising to us mere fans who don't understand football as well as they do...

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Thanks @GifLord

Painful reading from a journalist who’s clearly an ABU or a AB Keane.

He could do a weekly article on every player who scores a important goal but didn’t really do much to note after this if he wants to be neutral. Doesn’t make him right though.
He's wrote two 'reconsidered' articles and what a shocker both are on United players.

Now for his best PL teams of all time. United's treble winning team are not even on the list. :lol: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-12-best-premier-league-teams-ever

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He's wrote two 'reconsidered' articles and what a shocker both are on United players.

Now for his best PL teams of all time. United's treble winning team are not even on the list. :lol: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-12-best-premier-league-teams-ever
Cox’s bellendry needs to be highlighted more. The stats virgins on Twitter love him but his patronising ‘You don’t understand football if you disagree with me’ attitude is completely at odds with his shit opinions on the game, e.g. the article you’ve linked there.

The Scouse-loving wanker had the temerity to include Liverpool 2018/19 on the list - a team which finished second in the league - yet omitted United’s Treble winners. All you can do is laugh.:lol: