Roy Keane

R'hllor

I dont see ex players as whole, dunno how people cant separate United player from person after retirement or what ever. I mean Neville example, as player he had different agendas/interests than as ex player, now pundit, owner of a club, hotel w/e, buisness guy in general etc. Maybe i am wrong but doubt his priorities are the same.

acnumber9

Maybe because it was at his expense? Maybe because he's the one that was wrongly treated? Maybe Fergie can let it go because he knows he did mistreat Roy?

I'm not saying Fergie did btw, we'll likely never know. But seeing as we don't, if what Roy is saying is true, I can see why he wouldn't let it go. And if what Roy's saying is true, why wouldn't Fergie let it go? There's nothing for him to not let go of...
Well you were the one saying the two of them were angry. Make up your mind.

Foxbatt

Keane s not a man who would lie. So I believe him when he says about the way he was thrown out of the club.
Yes he is bitter and I am sure most of us would be too if it was the way he says.
Fergie and Gill could have handled it better. Much better. What Keane said about the players was absolutely spot on. Fergie is no angel and the way he treated BBC shows he does hold a grudge too.
If we had a player who is even half of what Roy Keane was we would not be in this shit.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Completely agree.

A horrible man consumed by bitterness who has lost any gravitas he may have once had and is just another mouthy rent-a-cnut who could slot in on Talksport any day.
To be fair he's asked a direction question about Fergie. Fergie could be 102 it doesn't mean he didn't great Keane poorly at the end of his career here. It's OK to accept that.

RC89

He was a great player to be fair to him, but the stuff he's coming out is utterly pathetic and shows he's still a bitter man. His lack of respect for the greatest manager of all time and one of (if not) the most important men in the history of Manchester United says everything you need to know about him. Even when Sir Alex is suffering from ill health, it's just not appropriate. He's not a good human being.

The same posters shit on other players for much less (look at recent examples in Lukaku, Matic, Pogba, Neville - granted they haven't achieved what Roy achieved), but yet following a damning interview like the above come out with 'legend' and continue the love-in for a thin-skinned stubborn man screams out massive hypocrisy. I simply don't understand the cult-like following he has. He was another great player in the history of the club, but for some he seems to transcend the club itself.
Disagree with this. Well, I agree to the point where maybe he could say something like "I'd rather not talk about it" given SAFs health scare. But, if you worked with someone for 12.5 years, thought you had a relationship with this person of respect and appreciation and you genuinely felt they pretty much betrayed you (in Roy's mind) would you not be bitter? I wonder how many of us, living the situation that Roy is presenting it as, would not feel wronged.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
"Is Roy Keane dead to you?"

No, as a rational adult people can say things that I may not agree with without them "dying" to me.

Keane is the most important player of the most successful era in our history
in my opinion. I also agree with a lot of what he says, whilst disagreeing with some things.

The hysteria of this thread title, in my opinion is pathetic, but an apt portrayal of the modern day supporter.
Thats debatable, simply because that's arguably not even our most successful era as a club. 2006-2013 to me is a lot more successful.
A lot of our problems are down to never replacing him.Born winner.
We're just making things up here aren't we?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Keane is a bitter angry man. We all know that. I can think he's a bit of a dick sometimes but still like him on the whole.

always_hoping

Roy Keane the player for United was a legend. For those not old enough to have seen him play he was the type of leader,motivator that the current United team are crying out for.

Keane the person is total off the cuff and has a lot anger when trying to put his views across. It was not a happy exit for Keane and Fergie and Co could have dealt with it a bit better. He wasn't far wrong about Darren Ferguson BTW but its a shame after all these years that Fergie and Keane haven't made up. Fergie lets not forget fell out with plenty of players and is on good terms with them now.

SecondFig

Is Roy Keane dead to you?
If only there was some middle ground between "absolute legend" and "dead to me" - plenty of former United players have complex legacies. Schmeichel, Rooney, Keane, Neville, Giggs, and Scholes were all absolute heroes on the pitch - and they've all done or said stuff since leaving us which makes me love them a bit less. But none of them are "dead to me" and I'm still immensely grateful that they played for us, and that I got to watch them play at the time

Rooney1987

Disagree with this. Well, I agree to the point where maybe he could say something like "I'd rather not talk about it" given SAFs health scare. But, if you worked with someone for 12.5 years, thought you had a relationship with this person of respect and appreciation and you genuinely felt they pretty much betrayed you (in Roy's mind) would you not be bitter? I wonder how many of us, living the situation that Roy is presenting it as, would not feel wronged.
Probably would feel wronged to a point. It’s been talked to death on here for years, they’re both in the wrong imo. Roy shouldn’t have said what he said on mutv and SAF handled it badly. I would be pissed for a few years. However I’d probably have let it go before this but if that person almost 80, even though he fecked up was one of the main reason I’m the player I am and won the trophies I did go on to almost lose his life I’d definitely let it go. Rather then going on tv or podcasts at any opportunity to moan that said person even after his life threatening surgery.

Will Singh

He’s saying what everyone is thinking, SAF shoehorned he’s son into the team. Neville speaks like he’s got an agenda sometimes, he’s a got a lot of knowledge of the game but proper biased towards he’s mates.

Frank Grimes

How many people have actually watched more than 5 minutes of the video. It's actually very funny. That's why I like Keane, he can be a funny fecker as well as a straight talker.

Tarrou

If anything I like him more as I've gotten to know and understand his personality more through all these interviews and wotnot, because the legend of Keane has become more authentic to me. We always knew he was a hot-head, incredibly driven and stubborn as a mule. And honestly, I believe those qualities were an important part of the reason that team was so successful. He pushed his teammates to reach to his own high standards of professionalism day in, day out. I've no doubt that meant ruffling a few feathers or giving a few home truths from time-to-time, and sometimes crossing the line, but as Neville alluded to the players were used to that and back then, let's be honest, they weren't a bunch of fannies like the players today.

Last edited:

minh_loc_xoay

What nonsense. Keane was a fantastic player but the most successful period in the clubs history came after him.
If Keane didn't leave us, we wouldn't have lost the Champions League Final against Barca in 2009. We would have become the first team to win Champions League back-to-back.
He could even have snapped Messi's leg in that match and Messi wouldn't go on to be such a great player. Ronaldo might have felt the Liga not as challenging without Messi and stayed with us. That would easily win us another Champions League title in the year after, not losing to Bayern in such a manner.

Yeah,we could have won 4 Champions League titles back-to-back from 2018 - 2011 if Keane was still here. Madness...

SaintMuppet

Right but the video isn't explicitly dealing with that. It's Keane shitting on about not having any interest in contacting the man who signed him,made him captain of the biggest club in England, and showed him the door after he was long past his best and frankly took it too far through a public medium about teammates, after the man nearly died of a brain haemorrhage. Because he wants an apology. In my opinion, he's talking absolute shite. And almost every where he's been he leaves a trail of similar shite with other personalities. If I could take any player at their best back at United it would be Keane, but his Ferguson grudge is mind bogglingly pathetic.

Saw van nistelrooy speak about how he called Ferguson years later to clear the air and how they have a great relationship now
Struck as an incredibly mature well adjusted adult.

And stripped to bare bones Ferguson wins any argument every single time by virtue of results. Results results results. He was a phenomenon, as close to exempt from criticism as one can be in sports.
Keane is ‘Josey Wales’ stubborn as is Fergie, both hold a grudge. In Keanes case we know he will actively seek revenge and ‘serve the dish cold’ so to speak. It’s part of the psychological makeup that makes them winners. To the rest of us if we see our rival at deaths door we may stop and consider what we are doing and why.

Keane is not the rest of us though, he is part of that top few percent who are winners to the core. With that often comes personality flaws, narcissism etc.

Personally for the money Roy was earning I’d happily get kicked onto the scrap heap with little respect after 12 years, take the money and run.

Maybe that’s part of why I’m not part of that winning top few percent :(

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's hilarious how Keane used Sir Alex's nepotism to bash him for not using that same nepotism/favourism with him. The reality is that Keane's time as a footballer was already finished by the time of that infamous interview. Sir Alex would have given Keane the usual 1-2 years of salary for nothing given to other legends if only he kept his gob shut and didn't blamed others for his crappiness.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Keane s not a man who would lie. So I believe him when he says about the way he was thrown out of the club.
Yes he is bitter and I am sure most of us would be too if it was the way he says.
Fergie and Gill could have handled it better. Much better. What Keane said about the players was absolutely spot on. Fergie is no angel and the way he treated BBC shows he does hold a grudge too.
If we had a player who is even half of what Roy Keane was we would not be in this shit.
We did a whole bloody lot better immediately without him too.

I think this is what irks Roy more than anything, we left him behind to be yesterday's news. Literally 7 months later and we are the best team in Europe and people forget that Keane is no longer there. Stupid thing is, Roy could have contributed to that team and he could have handled it better to.

I dont care who Roy thinks he is, Edwin was also a senior player who while new to United, was equally entitled to have an opinion as a fellow professional and not be spoken down to. Its the self entitled bullshit with Keane that I think alot of people get irked about and its been with him through his entire career.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I dunno, it might have happened. He's not dead to me because at least He's someone who speaks his mind. And He has no agenda to help his mates whatsoever. It's just Keane being Keane.

Like Cantona being Cantona. I can't fault them for being them.

Irwin99

It's hilarious how Keane used Sir Alex's nepotism to bash him for not using that same nepotism/favourism with him. The reality is that Keane's time as a footballer was already finished by the time of that infamous interview. Sir Alex would have given Keane the usual 1-2 years of salary for nothing given to other legends if only he kept his gob shut and didn't blamed others for his crappiness.
Still bossed Gerrard and Vieira on their own turf only a year earlier :devil: He keeps mentioning in interviews that he thought he played well at Anfield in his last game. I only remember it being a really naff 0-0 draw.

mariachi-19

Keane is ‘Josey Wales’ stubborn as is Fergie, both hold a grudge. In Keanes case we know he will actively seek revenge and ‘serve the dish cold’ so to speak. It’s part of the psychological makeup that makes them winners. To the rest of us if we see our rival at deaths door we may stop and consider what we are doing and why.

Keane is not the rest of us though, he is part of that top few percent who are winners to the core. With that often comes personality flaws, narcissism etc.

Personally for the money Roy was earning I’d happily get kicked onto the scrap heap with little respect after 12 years, take the money and run.

Maybe that’s part of why I’m not part of that winning top few percent :(
Keane is not a top echelon winner and here is the reason... he can't accept his failings and learn from them. A great winner knows where the limit is and sustains that limit, but rarely over steps it. Roy doesn't have that capacity. Roy should have known the older he got that the limit slowly gets withdrawn and your approach needs to be reconsidered or simply retire. As both Gary and he alluded to, 27 year old Keane would have got away with it. 34 year old Keane didn't and its very clear and obvious why, so why continue with it?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Roy Keane just says what he thinks. He's a brutally honest person which doesn't translate well to someone being your friend but he was an excellent footballer that fit well into his time. I don't love him or hate him but he was a great player for our club and a great captain and should be respected as such. He's allowed to feel what he feels about his end here even though we don't agree with him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Still bossed Gerrard and Vieira on their own turf only a year earlier :devil: He keeps mentioning in interviews that he thought he played well at Anfield in his last game. I only remember it being a really naff 0-0 draw.
Lets be blunt. We were playing dog shit at the time (Keane's admission in that infamous interview). Then Keane left, Carrick came and we won the league.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Completely agree.

A horrible man consumed by bitterness who has lost any gravitas he may have once had and is just another mouthy rent-a-cnut who could slot in on Talksport any day.
This. It's sad to see the man Roy has become. Always harping on about the same grievances.

Grande

"Is Roy Keane dead to you?"

No, as a rational adult people can say things that I may not agree with without them "dying" to me.

Keane is the most important player of the most successful era in our history in my opinion. I also agree with a lot of what he says, whilst disagreeing with some things.

The hysteria of this thread title, in my opinion is pathetic, but an apt portrayal of the modern day supporter.
As a histrionic drama queen with a borderline personality and the working memory capasity of 1,5 digits, most players are dead to me except the evil Succubus that is JLingz and that Angel of Gomes who shall Redeem Us All unless he signs for City in January.

Son

Keane is not a top echelon winner and here is the reason... he can't accept his failings and learn from them. A great winner knows where the limit is and sustains that limit, but rarely over steps it. Roy doesn't have that capacity. Roy should have known the older he got that the limit slowly gets withdrawn and your approach needs to be reconsidered or simply retire. As both Gary and he alluded to, 27 year old Keane would have got away with it. 34 year old Keane didn't and its very clear and obvious why, so why continue with it?
“Keane is not a top echelon winner?”

He’s done as much for our club arguably as any player in our whole history... He was the biggest winner we’ve ever had in the side alongside Ronaldo mentality wise and impact on the pitch week in week out.

Ban

If Keane didn't leave us, we wouldn't have lost the Champions League Final against Barca in 2009. We would have become the first team to win Champions League back-to-back.
He could even have snapped Messi's leg in that match and Messi wouldn't go on to be such a great player. Ronaldo might have felt the Liga not as challenging without Messi and stayed with us. That would easily win us another Champions League title in the year after, not losing to Bayern in such a manner.

Yeah,we could have won 4 Champions League titles back-to-back from 2018 - 2011 if Keane was still here. Madness...
Ridiculous point, in 2009 he would have been 38 and he was already past it 3 years before. I won't even go to the snapping Messi's leg part..

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Fergie did what was necessary for United to be successful over a long period of time. He was a great manager. Roy wouldn't understand. I love Keano though, don't get me wrong. He was such a great player. But never a good manager. Decent perhaps.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As a histrionic drama queen with a borderline personality and the working memory capasity of 1,5 digits, most players are dead to me except the evil Succubus that is JLingz and that Angel of Gomes who shall Redeem Us All unless he signs for City in January.
Never knew He was a girl.

mariachi-19

“Keane is not a top echelon winner?”

He’s done as much for our club arguably as any player in our whole history... He was the biggest winner we’ve ever had in the side alongside Ronaldo mentality wise and impact on the pitch week in week out.
I'd argue Cantona was far more influential and beneficial to the overall growth of the club and even he is not a Fergie level of winner.

There's sufficient argument to say that there are winners and there is another level of winners. People who without a shadow of a doubt would be the very best at what ever they did at life and transcend their respective sports.

In the last 20 years you could nail that down to Sir Alex, Michael Schumacher, Michael Jordan, Phelps, Bolt, Tiger Woods and Fed. There's an argument to say Ronaldo and Messi, but I think Maradonna still pips both of them. What do all of them have in common?

Keane is a winner, but ultimately he's just another very good player. His influence at United is entirely over shadowed by Sir Alex and given our success after him, could say was probably overstated.

I love Roy Keane the player and he set the standard as a professional United player on the training ground and pitch for a long time, but he's not even close to being with the above names.

Son

I'd argue Cantona was far more influential and beneficial to the overall growth of the club and even he is not a Fergie level of winner.

There's sufficient argument to say that there are winners and there is another level of winners. People who without a shadow of a doubt would be the very best at what ever they did at life and transcend their respective sports.

In the last 20 years you could nail that down to Sir Alex, Michael Schumacher, Michael Jordan, Phelps, Bolt, Tiger Woods and Fed. There's an argument to say Ronaldo and Messi, but I think Maradonna still pips both of them. What do all of them have in common?

Keane is a winner, but ultimately he's just another very good player. His influence at United is entirely over shadowed by Sir Alex and given our success after him, could say was probably overstated.

I love Roy Keane the player and he set the standard as a professional United player on the training ground and pitch for a long time, but he's not even close to being with the above names.
I agree with him not been among those names. Messi and Ronaldo are on another planet football & stardom wise.

I misinterpreted it as he didn’t win as many titles as Giggs or Scholes for example. No way would I ever put Keane in Messi’s league and I rate Keane as been the 2nd most impressive player behind Ronaldo I’ve seen at United.

Messi for instance is a genius. Best player I’ve ever seen anyways by a distance. Same with all those names you mentioned in their respective sports.

Maybe I was a little too young too appreciate Cantona properly, I’ve mostly seen highlights. Keane in 99-2002 was a monster on the field though.

Jimmy_Bond

Thats debatable, simply because that's arguably not even our most successful era as a club. 2006-2013 to me is a lot more successful.

We're just making things up here aren't we?
In Keanes time at the club we won 7 Leagues, 4 FA Cups and a Champion's League. Two Doubles and a Treble.

In the period you mention we won 5 Leagues, 3 League Cups and 1 Champion's League.

So no, it's not debatable. Keane was very much apart of the most successful period in our club's history, without question. In my opinion he was the most important player, which of course is up for debate.