Roy Keane

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Appreciate the service Roy gave to the club, but it seems he struggles to understand that Fergie was the boss, and he let him wield the power he had in the dressing room.

Once he got too big for his boots and started becoming a negativity or "virus" should be say, he had to go.

Yes perhaps it could have been handled in a better way, but let's be honest that was probably a very difficult situation for both parties.

The fact he's still not over it now and hasn't talked to Fergie even after a near death experience is pretty pathetic in my eyes.

Bury the hatched you miserable git.

Classical Mechanic

You're comparing a period when 4 teams qualified for the CL to a time when 1 team qualified, and later 2.

Also, almost every season has been a two horse race in the end.

Keane's period was the most successful in our history. The period in which we started to decline in the early to mid naughties were when he was old and past his best and getting injured regularly.
In 98-99 Arsenal went out in the group stage.
In 00-01 (now 3 teams) Arsenal went out in the quarters and Leeds made the semi.
In 01-02 Arsenal went out in the 2nd group stage and Liverpool in the quarters.

Keane certainly won a lot of trophies but Fergie's best side was 06-09. I think my arguments support that on a factual basis.

Jakob Knutzen

Keano is a bitter old man, but has to agree with him about Ferguson. Anyway, they should talk together. Both should apologize

Betson

Some people here seem to be hyper sensitive to any criticism of the club or Fergie etc etc . be it Scholes , Neville , Keane etc once they veer anyway off been cheerleaders they are dead to then etc etc , which is complete nonsense.

Keane fell out with Fergie , so what why would that lesson him in any real Utd fans eyes.

It happens , people fall out and it does not mean you have to now hate one of them just because you revere the other.

thesheriffjw

Is keane not right in what he said???

Id say he was bang on. However, success on the pitch takes over what goes on behind the scenes.

The guy spoke is mind in interview that got him the boot and has done so since

Legend

The_Order

Massive tool, Club Legend but a a person, absolute prat, holds grudges like a teenage lass and bitter af.

Siddharth

Sir Alex kept winning even after kicking him out and he is bitter about it. We did just fine after the departure of Keane. But we have been struggling ever since the Great Man retired.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I can still love both Ferguson and Keane even if one of them hates the other.

Classical Mechanic

I can still love both Ferguson and Keane even if one of them hates the other.
Sure, Fergie is far from a reliable character witness anyway. As Neville says in the video, him and Keane had the same personality, pettiness included.

I do think its always best to be realistic about people you admire.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No.

Keane is who is he, he says what he wants and he doesn't really give a shit, I don't have to agree with what he says, but i don't see why I should hate him for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What I will say for Keane is, the MUTV thing was a nonsense, club made a mountain out of a molehill.

Also, the feck is wrong with this interviewier? Neville is trying to offer insight into the situation and he's trying to get in his questions? What sort of shite is that.

TRUERED89

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm not sure the point about him hiring family flies really. There's nothing wrong with helping them out if you're doing well. It's a petty bit of 'proof' that he didn't put United first. Just Keane being bitter and looking for fault.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
We did a whole bloody lot better immediately without him too.

I think this is what irks Roy more than anything, we left him behind to be yesterday's news. Literally 7 months later and we are the best team in Europe and people forget that Keane is no longer there. Stupid thing is, Roy could have contributed to that team and he could have handled it better to.

I dont care who Roy thinks he is, Edwin was also a senior player who while new to United, was equally entitled to have an opinion as a fellow professional and not be spoken down to. Its the self entitled bullshit with Keane that I think alot of people get irked about and its been with him through his entire career.
Are you talking about liverpool :D
We werent the best til 2008 !

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Finals mean nothing when you lose them. We were beaten soundly in both finals. Second place is second place no matter what the distance is. We won more trophies when Keane was here. It was a more successful period, without question. Don't forget how important the FA Cup was in those days as well. 7 titles, 4 FA Cups and a CL is incredible (considering two were doubles and one an unprecedented treble), and is an era unsurpassed by any other era in our history.

Another argument I never thought I'd have to have, courtesy of The Caf!!!
Everyone's allowed their own opinion aren't they. If you hate the Caf so much, you're more than welcome to leave. I doubt you'd be missed. And that's not even a dig. I definitely wouldn't be missed. You just seem to constantly moan about the fans and their opinions.

GenZRed

You don't have to like Keane as a person to acknowledge that he is our best midfielder of the Premier League era. He was the rock of that treble winning team and was always hungry for more trophies.

I don't dislike Keane personally. I do not understand why him and Fergie cannot resolve whatever has gone on because Keane is clearly still bitter about it. As others have said though, when you get two dominant personalities it can be hard for them to sort out serious falling outs.

Jimmy_Bond

In 98-99 Arsenal went out in the group stage.
In 00-01 (now 3 teams) Arsenal went out in the quarters and Leeds made the semi.
In 01-02 Arsenal went out in the 2nd group stage and Liverpool in the quarters.

Keane certainly won a lot of trophies but Fergie's best side was 06-09. I think my arguments support that on a factual basis.
Your arguments support it on a "factual basis?"

I almost can't believe I've just read that. Did that team ever win a treble?

TRUERED89

You're arguments support it on a "factual basis?"

Agreed, Keane's era was the most successful period. 1995-2003 in particular was pretty incredible..

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it was actually probably a good power play by Fergie in the short term. There was a lot of talk that 'the old man has lost it' and that United were on the cusp of a decline at that time. I remember when we signed Rooney and Wenger described the signing as something we had to do just to keep in touch with the leading pack. A lot of fans were starting to get twitchy about where the club was heading. I think what happened with Keane ultimately reasserted Fergie's authority and ruthlessness and helped us kick on into a new era.
Many see United as this juggernaut that can financially out muscle every club. That represents a tiny part of our history. United is also the club who relied on Graham lending Sir Alex his contract so that the latter can show it to Edwards and get his payrise, its also the same club who couldn't afford to match Batistuta's salary with Fiorentina (not Real, not Juventus, Fiorentina), not to forget it is the club who forced Stam to relinquish his signing on fee else we wouldn't have been able to sign him and who nearly lost Keane on a free to Juventus cause we refused to give him the salary he wanted.

Sir Alex worked in that environment for most of his career. He was expected to punch way above United's weight. To do so, he brainwashed his player to think we're different. While Inter or Real could afford giving players better salaries, we on the other hand, were a family team. Our ethos was simple, do well, work hard, sign the damn contract even though you could earn more elsewhere and in exchange the club would always have your back. TBF he did his best to keep his end of the bargain. Sir Alex was proud that none of the hundreds of kids coming out of the academy ended up leaving us without a job. He also asked ridiculously low fees for English internationals such as Phil Nev and Nicky Butt, so that they could join decent clubs. Fletcher was handled a long term contract even though Sir Alex knew exactly what type of illness he had.

Unfortunately that deal couldn't cut it on one thing ie age. Time was something no player could beat and unless a player acknowledged that his time was up, then such 'cultural' thing would have ended up biting our arse. Keane was neither the first nor the last who overstayed. The list was endless from Robson to Keane, from Gaz right to the likes of Giggs, Rio and Carrick.

Sir Alex describe Keane as a man who refused to adapt to age. A Peter Pan wannabe who thought age couldn't catch up with him and was reluctant in adapting to it. He was also the only player at United who had the influence to challenge Sir Alex authority. Ince loved to call himself the guvnor but Keane was the only man who was able to force the dressing room to go at arms against Sir Alex's coaching decisions, even persuading Gary Neville (the closest equivalent to a Sir Alex's groupie) to lead the charge. The only way Sir Alex could wrestle his authority into the dressing room back was to first publically humiliate Keane and then kick him out. Which is exactly what he did when he showed that infamous MUTV interview to entire squad only to fire him later on. The funny/tragic thing is that Keane was so confident that he had the dressing room in his small pocket that he was the one who suggested to Sir Alex to show that darn interview in the first place and he even challenged the same players to give their opinion about it once the interview was over. Instead of having the players back, those same players ended up either walking out (Scholes, Fortune etc) or confronting him (VDS, RVN) as Keane was reduced to an old broken player thrashing insults to everybody who dared defying him. That's a humiliating experience the likes of Keane would never ever forget.

I am not suggesting that Keane doesn't have a point. Sir Alex's nepotism/favouritism + his non football related issues was quite evident and did hurt the club at times. However one can't accuse a man of using nepotism/favouritism only to then accuse him again for not using that same nepotism/favouritism to keep him at the club when it was evident that his time there was over.

Jimmy_Bond

Everyone's allowed their own opinion aren't they. If you hate the Caf so much, you're more than welcome to leave. I doubt you'd be missed. And that's not even a dig. I definitely wouldn't be missed. You just seem to constantly moan about the fans and their opinions.
When did I say that I hate the caf?

Oldyella

I'm not sure the point about him hiring family flies really. There's nothing wrong with helping them out if you're doing well. It's a petty bit of 'proof' that he didn't put United first. Just Keane being bitter and looking for fault.
I dunno. These werent 'getting a job in the club cafe' type jobs. I have no problem with Keane calling it out, just like I would have no problem with Fergie defending himself and pointing to his record.

Jimmy_Bond

Agreed, Keane's era was the most successful period. 1995-2003 in particular was pretty incredible..
Apparently even though we won more in the Keane era, it's factual that the 2006-13 team were more successful.

People can debate which team was better, but I don't really see how they can debate who was more successful?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
People hate Gary Neville for a lot less than this for things he says on Sky Sports. I wonder if this applies for Keane or if people have different standards.

Speaking about Gary Neville. You do notice that he lead the charge in Keane's attempt to wrestle the dressing room away from Sir Alex?

"There was no game that week and I was due to go to Dubai to visit our soccer school. That morning Gary Neville called me from the players’ dressing room and asked me to come in. Down I went,
expecting Roy to have apologised. I took my seat. Gary promptly announced that the players were not happy with the training. I couldn’t believe my ears. ‘You what?’ I said. Roy had a major influence on
the dressing room and I believe that he had used that influence to try and turn the situation. Listen, Carlos Queiroz was a great coach, a great trainer. Yes, he could be repetitive with some exercises,
but that’s what makes footballers: force of habit. I let them have it. ‘You pulled me down here to complain about the training? Don’t you start, the pair of you … Who are you talking to?’ And I walked out."

Bwuk

Apparently even though we won more in the Keane era, it's factual that the 2006-13 team were more successful.

People can debate which team was better, but I don't really see how they can debate who was more successful?
2007/08 was Ferguons best side imo comfortably.

Oldyella

The crowd is insufferable in these videos, literally laughing at every single thing Roy says, even when it's not even slightly funny!
A lot of it feels like the laughter you hear as a relief from tension to me. Nt funny, just glad hes not pulled a shank from his pocket and gone for Neville.

Classical Mechanic

Your arguments support it on a "factual basis?"

Yes. The league was clearly stronger in 06-09 than at any other time in Ferguson's reign. Winning 3 titles on the bounce, the CL, a couple of league cups and doing back to back Champions League finals was a bigger show of strength and level than 99-01. Although the 99-01 side was an incredible one the 06-09 was more proven at the very highest level.

Even on a anecdotal level, the 99 treble was the most emotional season in my life but it was all done by a hairs breadth. Before the 2008 season I knew we were the best in Europe and fully expected us to win the Champions League. I have never felt so confident about a United side before.

Jimmy_Bond

It's certainly between that one and the 99 one in my opinion, but the 99 team did something no other team had managed before or since.

I personally go with 99, and the only thing I'd dispute is your use of the word "comfortably." How can that possibly be the case? Personally, my combined 11 would be..

Schmeichel

Neville Stam Ferdinand Irwin

Beckham Keane Scholes Giggs

Rooney Ronaldo

Obviously it's difficult to force two different teams that used two very different systems, but my team is 7/4 in favour of 99 (Scholes and Giggs were better in 99, so I want that version of both players). I personally think the only debate if we use this system would be Irwin instead of Evra, and Stam instead of Vidic. Even if I ceded these (the Vidic/ Stam for me is closer than Irwin/ Evra, I personally would have Irwin every day but I respect that's just my opinion) it would be 6/5 in favour of 08. I don't see how it can be said that 08 is "comfortably" better than 99.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yes. The league was clearly stronger in 06-09 than at any other time in Ferguson's reign. Winning 3 titles on the bounce, the CL, a couple of league cups and doing back to back Champions League finals was a bigger show of strength and level than 99-01. Although the 99-01 side was an incredible one the 06-09 was more proven at the very highest level.

Even on a anecdotal level, the 99 treble was the most emotional season in my life but it was all done by a hairs breadth. Before the 2008 season I knew we were the best in Europe and fully expected us to win the Champions League. I have never felt so confident about a United side before.
I agree 06-09 or so was Fergie's best side but if we're talking hair's breadths we have to acknowledge we were Terry slipping on his arse away from losing that 08 final. There's still a good debate to be had and I think it's quite a personal thing; a lot of it relies on what each individual fan has internalised over the years about those sides we all love.

Porco Rosso

No, I think it's a good example of SAF putting his own interests before that of the club, which is the point Keane is making. With the whole football world to recruit from, the very best man out there for Manchester United to hire as Chief Scout was Martin Ferguson? Really??
By all means help out the family if it's your own business, but you can't get away with it at someone else's expense whilst still claiming to be acting in the best interests of the employer.
It is a shame that Keane is still clearly seething about the way he was treated, and it might be better if he let the whole episode go now, but I find it hard to take issue with much that he says to be honest. Sir Alex was a great manager, but he was no paragaon of virtue.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Both SAF and Keane have their faults and virtues.

What is a fact is that we'd give our eye teeth to have them back in the present circumstances.We just don't have the level of character in the present set up.They weren't there to be liked,they were there to win!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I agree 06-09 or so was Fergie's best side but if we're talking hair's breadths we have to acknowledge we were Terry slipping on his arse away from losing that 08 final. There's still a good debate to be had and I think it's quite a personal thing; a lot of it relies on what each individual fan has internalised over the years about those sides we all love.
Lampard hitting the crossbar was just as pivotal.

One of those things.We had the luck just as Liverpool did last season

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No. He is nuts sometimes, probably need some anger management, but he is a legend.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t think there’s much between the 99 and 08 United teams, the 2008 side had greater depth (the sport has changed plenty in a decade and all of the teams had bigger squads) and Ronaldo.

But lets not forget we were pinned back at home by a Barcelona side having a poor season, we could’ve easily lost that
match, whilst the 99 side went on to dominate Inter and came back from 0-2 against Juventus away from home, which was unheard of at the time.

Both teams were great, Roy Keane was our metronome in 1999 and would’ve made the 2008 even better at his best.

Denis79

Loved him as a player, loved his mentality on the field, would take a prime Keane back in our team in a heart beat but he needs to shut up sometimes. Honestly that was a bit pathetic, he was saying a lot just to get a few laughs from the audience.. Petty.

Jimmy_Bond

So do we value Liverpool's second place and 97 points last season as being better than any of their title wins in the 70s/80s because it was achieved in a "clearly stronger league?"

I personally don't buy into this argument, although respect it if you are happy to do so. It's all relative, maybe the league was weaker but then we lived in a time where everything was more even and the general standard of football wasn't as high. You can only compare a team for what it achieved in it's era. Nobody won the treble before, and nobody has even got close to doing it since? Why? Because it's almost impossible. The 99 team did what no other team in history has managed. they achieved the impossible. And it's not like it was a flash in the pan. They also won the title three times in a row.

You can also argue that for United to win the CL when no English team had come close for many years and when the PL wasn't the strongest league was a greater achievement than the 08 team getting there when England was the best league and therefore had the best players (ourselves included).

This is all anecdotal anyway. People will say that this City team is the best in history. Well, you gotta do the big one then boys. Until they, or any other team win the treble, they will forever be behind 99 in my opinion.