Roy Keane

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Roy Keane is a piece of sh*t.

Fair enough that I'm not a fan of the off pitch person, that doesn't have anything to do with it. What does have to do with it is Keane ending Haalands career in 2001 because he had his feelings hurt.

AKDevil

Nope and never will be. Unbelievable player and even better and bigger influence on the team. If I could bring one player back from our past (my time watching United) and put him in the team he’d probably be top of the list.

Chairman Steve

I’ve always felt that the lesser infamous tackle with Haaland where he did his knee ligament in was a turning point in his playing career. I remember it was basically a coming together and as Keane lay on the ground in obvious pain, I believe Haaland stood over him and yelled as Haaland thought he dived or something (may have been the penalty box too so Haaland thought Keane was after a penalty)

Ever since then Keane played with the permanent chip on his shoulder. I don’t think he’s even gotten over the fact that injury shortened his career and limited him... plus I’ve always felt that Keane thought he was somewhat untouchable among the boys and that SAF would never in a million years go against him, but SAF didn’t think that and just saw Keane as one of the boys.

Therefore when time came that the injuries caught up with Keane and then the MUTV debacle happened where we entered a transitional period, I don’t think Keane took it well that SAF booted him out as in his head he was closer to SAF than the rest of the boys.

It’s a shame that Keane still hasn’t mellowed out over this. I don’t think SAF would have cared about it and probably would have been more complimentary about Keane especially with the time passed and after the brain aneurysm which probably put more things into perspective for him.

bp19992

Fair enough that I'm not a fan of the off pitch person, that doesn't have anything to do with it. What does have to do with it is Keane ending Haalands career in 2001 because he had his feelings hurt.
Yeah that never happened and that myth has been debunked about 100 times on redcafe alone.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Feck Haaland, and that’s a complete
myth that Keane ended his career, its absurd that some people still think this is true in 2019 ffs.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Feck Haaland, and that’s a complete
myth that Keane ended his career, its absurd that some people still think this is true in 2019 ffs.
I'm very, very curious why you say this is a myth? Keanes tackle ended Haalands active career. He never fully recovered.

Here: From a detailed writeup of the incident from ESPN:

"What happened next? Haaland was released by City in February of 2003 and retired soon after, unable to get his knees back to full working order thanks both to the challenge and a long-standing complaint. He considered legal action, but backed down and, in 2007, he was interviewed about the incident by the Daily Mail but could not bring himself to mention Keane by name. "It is still there, every day," the footballer-turned property developer said. "The knee still hurts, that isn't going to go away. I have to accept that. Did that tackle end my career? Well, I never played a full game again, did I? It seems like a great coincidence, don't you think?"

From the horses mouth. But I take it you are the stable master?

Sir Scott McToMinay

I'm very, very curious why you say this is a myth? Keanes tackle ended Haalands active career. He never fully recovered.

Here: From a detailed writeup of the incident from ESPN:

"What happened next? Haaland was released by City in February of 2003 and retired soon after, unable to get his knees back to full working order thanks both to the challenge and a long-standing complaint. He considered legal action, but backed down and, in 2007, he was interviewed about the incident by the Daily Mail but could not bring himself to mention Keane by name. "It is still there, every day," the footballer-turned property developer said. "The knee still hurts, that isn't going to go away. I have to accept that. Did that tackle end my career? Well, I never played a full game again, did I? It seems like a great coincidence, don't you think?"

From the horses mouth. But I take it you are the stable master?
He didn’t have common sense and he had that tackle coming.
What kind of an idiot you have to be to taunt someone like Roy Keane when he’s in pain on the ground after sustaining what looked like a serious injury.

Haaland retired because of an injury to
his other knee, but don’t let the facts ruin a good story.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He didn’t have common sense and he had that tackle coming.
What kind of an idiot you have to be to taunt someone like Roy Keane when he’s in pain on the ground after sustaining what looked like a serious injury.

Haaland retired because of an injury to
his other knee, but don’t let the facts ruin a good story.
Somehow I'm more inclined to believe the words coming from the player himself when making up an opinion on his injury. Hell, my quote even includes the long standing injury to his other knee. Haaland desscribes pain the knee Keane tackled him in.

But that being said, Keane injured himself. He tried to kick Haaland and got his studs stuck in the turf. Keane even admits as much in his own book. He wanted to kick him, injured himself, and was accused of faking an injury.

Even if he was accused, what exactly gives Keane the right to do what he did to Haaland? Just look at that. If you do that outside a football pitch you're going to prison.

TRUERED89

I listened to the whole interview and and I have to say I agree with most that he said.

The "wazzapp" thing was funny. Did not know he was punched in the face during training and then next day just got on with his job. Fantastic guy.
I don’t get how he can be cool with getting punched in the face by Brian Clough in front of team mates, but can’t get over the fact SAF let him go at age 34 when he was pretty much finished. Absolute legend but I just don’t get it, I’ve forgiven people for worse things myself. The same personality traits he hates SAF for are the same things he does!

Sir Scott McToMinay

Somehow I'm more inclined to believe the words coming from the player himself when making up an opinion on his injury. Hell, my quote even includes the long standing injury to his other knee. Haaland desscribes pain the knee Keane tackled him in.

But that being said, Keane injured himself. He tried to kick Haaland and got his studs stuck in the turf. Keane even admits as much in his own book. He wanted to kick him, injured himself, and was accused of faking an injury.

Even if he was accused, what exactly gives Keane the right to do what he did to Haaland? Just look at that. If you do that outside a football pitch you're going to prison.

Roy Keane admitted that tackle was on purpose in his book, if Haaland’s career was ended because of that tackle Haaland could’ve sued him for millions and win the case with ease.

“However, it emerged that Håland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game to his left leg (Keane went for his right leg), and that Keane did not cause his injury”

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A Lieutenant without a War, so he makes one.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Roy Keane admitted that tackle was on purpose in his book, if Haaland’s career was ended because of that tackle Haaland could’ve sued him for millions and win the case with ease.

“However, it emerged that Håland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game to his left leg (Keane went for his right leg), and that Keane did not cause his injury”
Ok you're just going to ignore everything I say and defend what Keane did. That's fine I guess. We're just going to disagree.

clarkydaz

I don’t get how he can be cool with getting punched in the face by Brian Clough in front of team mates, but can’t get over the fact SAF let him go at age 34 when he was pretty much finished. Absolute legend but I just don’t get it, I’ve forgiven people for worse things myself. The same personality traits he hates SAF for are the same things he does!
slightly different situation. One ended his United career and was publicly manipulated and treated shoddily on exit. The other was sleep on it and come back tomorrow

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don’t get how he can be cool with getting punched in the face by Brian Clough in front of team mates, but can’t get over the fact SAF let him go at age 34 when he was pretty much finished.
Because he wasn't, at that time, influential enough to get away with standing up to Clough.
The same personality traits he hates SAF for are the same things he does!
Freud called it 'the hatred of little differences'; projection, essentially.

Oldyella

I dunno. It sounds more to me like he was more annoyed about being lied to about being able to sign for another club than anything else.

He's well within his rights to be bitter or hold a grudge he was there so his comments about utd are ok by me. People saying he's dead to them simply because he has some negative comments are being a bit precious imo. So what? Who cares?

The Walters stuff is a bit off though..

momo83

Massive Snowflake
No. What he says is factually true but SAF was successful until he retired so no one cares, perks of winning. If SAF stopped being successful and stayed.. eg Wenger... then I’m sure these things and the horse racing thing that probably led to the Glazers taking over would have been mentioned more.

ants7

Agree. I think they are actually very similar characters.

Regarding the exit, I think the manner of how it happened is the reason he is still annoyed. He said it himself number of times that he would have been normally let go on January - no problem.

bp19992

Ok you're just going to ignore everything I say and defend what Keane did. That's fine I guess. We're just going to disagree.
Well you're doing the same thing. In the very post you quoted there's an actualy quote from Haaland admitting that Keane didn't end his career.
Haaland only backtracked from that years later. So,

1. Haaland retired due to an injury on his other leg, which he already had before the match. ("However, it emerged that Håland had stated on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game to his left leg (Keane went for his right leg), and that Keane did not cause his injury.")

2. Haaland only backtracked from this 6 years later, kind of mysterious don't you think?

Dante

Average bang
I think I can answer this one. I have certain similiar character traits to Keano (albeit, I'm not quite as intransigent).

Keane, above all else, values honesty and straightforwardness. That's evident in his punditry, in his team talks, in his book, in his style of football, in his style of management, in every fibre of his being.

What he doesn't value is prevarication, mealy-mouthedness, lies and being two faced.

When Clough punched him, that was just about as honest an expression of the manager's feelings as you can possibly get. There was no hiding behind words or saying things he didn't mean.

But when Fergie talked about "11 1/2 years", or being able to "sign for another club", or putting United first despite making some obviously nepotistic decisions... all of that was dishonest and a part of his usual mind games.

I'm a bit like Keane in the sense that I've forgiven some really serious stuff where the other person has been open and up-front, but held on to some minor grudges where I feel somebody has tried to manipulate me.

It's not so much pettiness, as it is standing up for what you believe in and being stubborn about not accepting what you feel is a basic trait of decency.

I'm nowhere near as bad as Keane, mind you. I've learned over the years to accept another person's cuntishness and just bottle up my feelings deep down. It's healthier that way.

The-Natural

Just says 'do me a favour' over and over again rather than bothering to construct any kind of valid and considered criticism of whichever person he is assassinating. Seems to trade on the hard, no-nonsense reputation and very much prefers to not go to the next level of debate (as that would mean having to actually justify his bitter views)

A hell of a player but just an angry bore of a man these days.

Yet another one that Fergie called 100% right.

Robbie Boy

I think I can answer this one. I have certain similiar character traits to Keano (albeit, I'm not quite as intransigent).
Your posts are a mental level of delusion and pretend intellect. I’m convinced your account is a wum account. There’s literally no other explanation.

Corrado

Dead to me? WTF? Roy Keane was the best player I've seen in the Premier era.
That interview is brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbatt

Some idiots here too still harping about the Haaland and Roy Keane stopped his career. Man City was going to sue Keane but on legal advice dropped their case when they found out that according to medical advice Haaland had problems with his left knee prior to that too and the Keane tackle was on his right knee and it has nothing to do with Keane about the injury to his left knee.

The interview was honest and brutal. It shows why he was so successful as a player and as a captain on Manchester United. I understand why he feels bitter about Fergie and Gill. It was insulting to him to get wrong on a legal document about his years of service to Manchester United. You do not get rid of players like that. Yes if the club wants to sell him do it with dignity and a man like Keane would walk away with his head held high. Do not insult them.

He was right about Darren Ferguson . Absolutely spot on. He was simply not good enough to play for Manchester United. Never ever. He only played because his father was the manager. He was right about PNE too. I remember those things very well. It was personal vendetta on the part of Fergie. Fergie has been wrong many times and the results are there for all to see. The appointment of Moyes and worse The Glazers. The Irish tycoons would not have sold United most probably without the issue of the Rock.

LARulz

Just watched the full video. The only bit that disappointed me was when he said he hadn't contacted Ferguson during the health issues last year. No idea if Ferguson would have done the same but would have thought that may have at least sparked "Get well" message

buckooo1978

Roy Keane will never be dead to a United fan

hes the legend we relied on and the black sheep we forgive

Frank Grimes

He wasnt punched in the face. It was the stomach.

buckooo1978

it was a savage tackle, a tackle of retribution for Keane

enough to sour your opinion of a fantastic player and an amazing captain?

no chance - grow up

Hawks2008

Bitter old feck, that shot at Walters is just classless and says more about him than Jon. Respect his achievements as a player but he really is an insufferable prick.