Roy Keane

M15 Red.

Great player. Even greater talking head. I for one can't wait to hear him questioning the point of fingerless gloves this winter.

Castia

He’s been brilliant on Sky.

Comes across well with some excellent points.

Red00012

Good listening tonight.

Didn’t even insult anyone :lol::lol::lol:

Although he did say Pogba was rubbish tonight.

Betson

A more mellow Roy Keane tonight ,a lot of praise for Fergie as a manager. Came across really well and actually quite likable and spoke a lot of sense about doing the simple things well and consistently, get it , control it and pass it on, And how a lot of midfield players can't do that these days.

arnie_ni

That video is another nail in the theory that Keane, despite being one of our best ever captains, was just an OK passer. He was an excellent all-round footballer.
So many passes through the lines cutting out the whole midfield. Just doesnt happen in this utd team

Eric7C

Just look at the pace on those passes. I reckon 90% of our squad today would struggle to control any of them.
Wow, indeed. I'm slowly forgetting what good passing looks like with this current lot.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
I thought Keane was fairly measured today

He speaks his mind and that’s both clearly a plus for Sky Sports because it occasionally leads to controversy but also from a viewers point of view grown weary of anodyne cliches from other analysts

I can’t say I liked him as a player - he was a great player but there was something seemingly sociopathic about him

I thought he was fair tonight both in his praise (what little there was) and his criticism

But he does want Man Utd to win - which is fair enough but brave enough to call out poor performance

Reactions: Jippy

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
What a great half an hour with Keane post match. Nothing prima donner about him whatsoever just someone who wanted the best for the teams he played for. He himself said he kept it simple and sticking to those rules consistently made him a world class midfielder.

I was never much for him as I watched him In his heyday as he was an argumentative, dirty player in my eyes but that was down to his sheer will to win and with his sheer quality of doing the simple things right and looking back now he would be the first name on the team sheet of 99.99% of clubs.

Love him on sky sports personally and hopefully he will stay a while as great to see some of the insight behind the scenes at the top clubs and Keane was at the centre of one of th best teams of the last 20 years.

Thought him and Carragher had some good interactions tonight and seem quite good together.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So many passes through the lines cutting out the whole midfield. Just doesnt happen in this utd team
That's the stand out thing. He made forward passes through the lines more than our supposed creative players nowadays attempt.

Sylar

The big Carragher did on him about the passing was great. Jamie was right, Keane is wrongly known as this hatchetman hard man type that would clean up. But his passing was very positive. It wasnt a case of getting it and passing it off. He would pick it up, look for that forward pass, and if it wasnt on, keep it simple. The whole 'give and go' to provide options.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I reckon Keano is on the verge of talking to Fergie. You could see from that interview he had the other week that despite being a prick, there was a hesitation when asked if he'd talk to Sir Alex again. He's now positively talking about him which hasn't happened for the last 15 years.

Once that happens, he'll be apart of this backroom staff. Every person with two eyes can see United is crying out for a Keane type character but while he continues to hold this grudge, he'll never get the opportunity.

BigBebe

I reckon Keano is on the verge of talking to Fergie. Once that happens, he'll be apart of this backroom staff. Every person with two eyes can see United is crying out for a Keane type character but while he continues to hold this grudge, he'll never get the opportunity.
He seemed to have really softened his stance on his relationship with Fergie. Plus, he was totally supportive I mean more than supportive of Ole. He said he wanted to be in management but recognised that he had to climb back up before he got another position, IMO he is definitely angling to come back to OT.

El Zoido

Despite all, this is the Roy Keane I remember..
This isn’t anywhere near prime Keane, and was in the twilight years of his career. He was phenomenal footballer, underrated as a player I feel, since his hard man persona has become more dominant in the years since he retired. He was a terrific midfielder with the ball at his feet and equally as good off it.

Hanky panky

Great player and i like people who say what they think. Respect it. But same time, he should get over the past.

Bojan11

Great interview. Would have liked if someone asked him what he thought of Ronaldo when he first arrived in the dressing room especially with all the pony tricks he was doing.

Betson

Great interview. Would have liked if someone asked him what he thought of Ronaldo when he first arrived in the dressing room especially with all the pony tricks he was doing.
Below are Keane's comments on Ronaldo form another interview , he liked him from the start.

"What impressed me most was that he’d been given the option of staying in Lisbon for another year, on loan, but he said no; he’d come over to Manchester straightaway. I thought it was a good, brave decision – because he was only seventeen. After the first few days, watching him train, my reaction was, ‘This lad is going to be one of the world’s greatest players.’ I didn’t say it publicly, because I’d always be wary of building a player up too early – or knocking him down."

"He looked like a player. You have to look the part, and he did. Zidane looked like a player – and Ronaldo looked like a player. The shape, the body language – they were there. A bit of arrogance, too. But he’d a nice way about him; he was very likeable. We forget that he was very heavily criticised when he first came on the scene. He was going down too quickly when tackled, his final product wasn’t good enough. But – again – he was only seventeen, a kid. I was playing youth football for Rockmount, in Cork, at that age. He was amazing. He was immediately one of the hardest working players at United. Most of the players I knew worked hard, but Ronaldo had the talent on top of the work rate."

He was good-looking and he knew it. He was vain in that sense – at the mirror. He was a big lad, a big unit. I’d think, ‘Good on yeh.’ Looking at some of the other lads in front of the mirror, I’d think, ‘Yeh feckin’ nugget.’ But Ronaldo had an innocence to him, and a niceness. I don’t think he ever slackened off, or that he was ever more worried about the mirror than his game. I always felt that football was his love."
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/roy-keane-cristiano-ronaldo-impression-man-united-165418

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
The big Carragher did on him about the passing was great. Jamie was right, Keane is wrongly known as this hatchetman hard man type that would clean up. But his passing was very positive. It wasnt a case of getting it and passing it off. He would pick it up, look for that forward pass, and if it wasnt on, keep it simple. The whole 'give and go' to provide options.

Foxbatt

You don't get to play in midfield for two of the best managers in the UK if you cannot play football.
Keane did very successfully. I always felt that with Keane in the side we could always win.

Betson

This isn’t anywhere near prime Keane, and was in the twilight years of his career. He was phenomenal footballer, underrated as a player I feel, since his hard man persona has become more dominant in the years since he retired. He was a terrific midfielder with the ball at his feet and equally as good off it.
The most impressive thing about Keane in his prime years was his consistency , he was an 8/9 out of 10 player almost every week, it was a very notable occurrence if he did not play well on a day.

He was right to have a go at Pogba tonight for his lack of consistency , it is the thing I find most frustrating about Pogba , there are more poor or average days than good days and that is just not good enough for a player of his ability and potential and not good enough for a big player at Man Utd.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Very good analysis.

I think that the player closest to Roy Keane in playing style today is Marco Verratti.

1. They are both defensively strong, hard working, tough tackling central midfielders

2. Both are prone to losing their temper in the heat of the moment and getting into scraps

3. They have a similar passing style. They both rarely plays long balls over the top. Both prefers to play short, direct forward passes that break the opponent’s first defensive line.

4. Both are/were the absolute engine of their team. PSG is always better when Verratti plays. Man Utd was always better when Keane played.

5. Obviously there are some differences as well. Keane was a bigger goal threat. Verratti has more flair on the ball.

Eric7C

When are these ex-players who claim to have the best interests of United at heart going to criticize Rashford? Instead they are eager to again blame Pogba; how many assists would the man have got if we had half decent strikers?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brilliant. Maybe the first time I'm hearing him talking so well about SAF.

Regarding Carragher video, he is spot on. People have rewritten history when it comes to Keane. He was such a good passer, not hollywood passes but the ones to keep the game flowing. Breaks the lines, keeps up the tempo and his passes are so good it's easy for the player who receives it. He expected same from every player too. Wish we had someone like him now.

Jinn

I would like to now Keane's opinion on who he thinks would be an ideal midfield purchase for UTD in the next transfer window or sometime in the future.
Knowing he's high standards, I'm sure has a favourite for UTD.

90 + 5min

Agree with comments here. Looks like he has put feud with Sir Alex behind him. Or at least he seems more laid back talking about Fergie. First time I hear him talk about Fergie in a positive way for a long time. Maybe, just maybe, he sees some opening to come back to ManUtd in some way.

As a player, absolute monster. I see him as a ultimate captain (like Robson) and leader. With all good and bad it comes with him. Absolutly brilliant.

Gopher Brown

Just look at the pace on those passes. I reckon 90% of our squad today would struggle to control any of them.
That’s true. I hate it when we need urgency and some of our players are just timidly trickling passes in the vague general direction of a teammate.

SlimDizzle075

Roy Keane just like Gary Neville or Scholes (I mention them because they have all had a go at United) . They have done more for Manchester United then all of us combined have or ever will. I would never question Roy's love or passion for this club and our badge. In fact i view his harsh criticisms and refusal to let it go as evidence of his passion and how heart broken he was when it went south. Was he perfect in the fall out w/ United? No, he was an asshole. Did he bring a lot of it on himself? Yes, could SAF have handled it better? Yes. However was it the right time to let him go? Yes. Does it hurt me when he is critical of the club, gaffer and players. yes, but he's earned that right.

Instead of being defensive and getting butthurt about his honest critiques we should hear him out. the TRUTH is - he will always be my captain and We don't have 1 player fit to wash his boots. from a footballing perspective or otherwise.