Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I mean I've always found him a massively overrated dislikeable cheat, but he was the only one of the Chelsea front players who looked capable of doing anything competent at all.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
One of those star studded squad of players under Pep who anyone will win the league with

The Oracle

always_hoping

I think Kane edges it atm
No white text?

Can't believe people STILL get shocked when Sterling misses an easy one on one. It's been his trademark since his Liverpool debut! He tends to miss truly easy chances and score harder ones.
Yeah will always remember the many one of one opportunities he had against Degea. Some decent saves but the majority were routine due to Streling missing easy chances

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seriously wants dropping for weeks for that. Absolutely criminal. Surprised one of his teammates didn’t deck him.

Captmfla

I don't think one should really blame Sterling. His finishing has never been his strong point. He was always there to dribble, link up play and to get into good positions.

Sterling's style of play has always invite criticism but he's not worse than any average forward. Sterling or Martial? I will take Sterling.

Tyrion

The most selfish player in the league? To think Southgate was getting hate for not picking him recently.
Southgate would be criticised for picking Mbappe if he was English.

Seriously wants dropping for weeks for that. Absolutely criminal. Surprised one of his teammates didn’t deck him.
He's always seemed clueless when he actually has time to think about scoring but he must have seen his teammates. He'd have known they weren't offside because they're not Rashford.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Jude Bellingham for me is the best English player at the moment but I also think by the time he has finished his carer he will be seen as one of the giants of English football.

Jeffthered

A good player, unique because his ability to travel with the ball under v close control makes him a handful against defences. He is always a threat and is an excellent player to have in a squad.

But he has limitations. He cant kick the ball, is dreadful in front of goal, and decision making is not the best. He's a dribbler, who could benefit from being more of a footballer.

Bellingham is the form player right now and Kane is simply world class.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Aside from the shocking miss he was good yesterday but unfortunately missing that meant they didn't go 1-0 up.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Thread aged like milk, he goes missing in games often and misses clear chances way too frequently. I think there's a reason City sold him quite easily...

Not even in the top 10 English players.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Thread aged like milk, he goes missing in games often and misses clear chances way too frequently. I think there's a reason City sold him quite easily...

I think he's your biggest attacking threat really due to his directness. I think once Nkunku starts playing and Jackson is dropped things will get a bit better. You want Nkunku on the end of things though ideally and Sterling just creating a nuisance.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's your biggest attacking threat really due to his directness. I think once Nkunku starts playing and Jackson is dropped things will get a bit better. You want Nkunku on the end of things though ideally and Sterling just creating a nuisance.
As a bench option, he could be useful, problem is he's on 325k+ a week. I would sell him in January or the summer if there are any takers. We'll never make top 4 with him starting for us, we've been shite in attack ever since he signed for us, not a coincidence!

Jackson, Broja, Mudryk, Madueke need to be loaned out as well or sold, they're on lower wages so less of an issue. None are good enough for a top 4 team either, as bench options maybe.

Essentially, despite all the money spent (wasted) we still need an entirely new attack bar Nkunku, Palmer and possibly Carney (if he can put a run of games together we'll see more clearly).

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think one should really blame Sterling. His finishing has never been his strong point. He was always there to dribble, link up play and to get into good positions.

Sterling's style of play has always invite criticism but he's not worse than any average forward. Sterling or Martial? I will take Sterling.
I think the main criticism for that bit of play relates more to the decision to not pass, although the shot was poor.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Did it? Or has he just had his peak and now he's on a bit of a redemption arc from a sizeable slide, which I'd say was partially due to losing some interest in the game?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's never been great on one on ones. I can remember that game when you guys came back from 2-0 down at Man. City to deny them winning the league on that day and he missed an incredibly chance when through on goal.

One of those types who misses more often than not when he has time to think and his close control has never been great either.

The other day he should've just squared it of course.

At Man. City he just perfected the art of arriving in six yard box at right time to convert their world class cut backs so that got him into the 10-15 goal bracket alone.

Righteous Steps

Sterling has looked like Chelsea’s best player when I’ve watched some games, I don’t think there are many consistent top class wingers out there right now who don’t make brainless decisions and provide consistent end product, as it is Sterling is what he has always been..

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Great player, immense talent, but terrible decision making. He is a very solid player though. Will guarantee you 20+ goals if the team is OK.

Remember the geese

He's actually a terrific dribbler and knows how to use space very well. Unfortunately for him, his reading of the game is not up there otherwise his career would had been more consistent.
Yeah he can dribble and has always had pace. He isn't particularly creative or a decent passer of a football. His finishing is very scruffy and he is a bit brainless in his decision making. I've always thought that Rashford was the more talented player and I'd have been interested to see what Pep could have done with him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah he can dribble and has always had pace. He isn't particularly creative or a decent passer of a football. His finishing is very scruffy and he is a bit brainless in his decision making. I've always thought that Rashford was the more talented player and I'd have been interested to see what Pep could have done with him.
His assist record would suggest otherwise.

Contrary to layman opinion he wasn't a mainstay at City for his tap-ins alone.

Remember the geese

His assist record would suggest otherwise.

Contrary to layman opinion he wasn't a mainstay at City for his tap-ins alone.
His assist record isn't enough to convince me that he is a particularly good passer or creative.

He played in a very good side at City. He's quick, can dribble and Pep improved his off the ball movement. That is what made him valuable. Though he was never as polished as other players they had at the time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
His assist record isn't enough to convince me that he is a particularly good passer or creative.

He played in a very good side at City. He's quick, can dribble and Pep improved his off the ball movement. That is what made him valuable. Though he was never as polished as other players they had at the time.
He had 95 assists for City, and tons more of chances created... How many would you need to be convinced otherwise :lol:

Regarding the bolded, maybe he was part of the reason City were very good, and maybe that was why he was a locked starter for their first great side under Pep?

Remember the geese

He had 95 assists for City, and tons more of chances created... How many would you need to be convinced otherwise :lol:

Regarding the bolded, maybe he was part of the reason City were very good, and maybe that was why he was a locked starter for their first great side under Pep?
I just don't deem him to be particularly creative, I'm afraid. He could dribble and was quick and direct. I didn't see particularly great creativity, vision or passing range.

He definitely had his uses. Though he was never on the same technical level as many of his teammates.