Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Have a word yourself, this thread lies dormant for a month then suddenly Sterling scores a few goals and out you come like flies around ....

I shudder to think how many goals Kane would score if he had the same team around him as does Sterling. Like I said, others will come and go but Kane is always there.
I didn't revive the the thread but as a City poster I will gravitate to City related threads, won't I?
The thread was brought back by United and Spurs posters and AFAIK is open to discussion by all. If you want only to discuss with Reds then maybe the Caf isn't the right place for you?

Are you seriously suggesting that Sterling is just in good form rather than a top player? I think his performances going back to his teenage years at Liverpool prove that he's always been a top player for one of his age.

Sterling having a group of top players around him surely makes it all the more creditable that he scores as many goals as he does as the others around him are also looking to get on the scoresheet?
Aguero gets most of the service at City (25 goals this season proves that) whereas Kane is the focal point of most Spurs attacks and gets a disproportionate amount of opportunities.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Perfect example of a system making a player look better than they are. Never did anything of note pre Guardiola, or on the continental or international stage.

It wasn't too long ago people were calling Pedro world class after he thrived under Pep's system too.
He was 21-22 years old when Pep arrived, you're being a little harsh.

TheLord

He is clearly above everyone else at the moment.

I know he's a prick, but he should be given the credit when it's due.

The best English player at the moment.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I remember Sterling bagged a lot of important goals early-mid season, though. You’d say he was one of the most important if not best in any case.
We can agree on that.
He had a happy knack of snatching late winners which turn 1 point into 3.

devil in me

Dunno how its happened, but as an ex Liverpool and current City player, im a huge fan. Great player and seems a top bloke too. Fair play to him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Perfect example of a system making a player look better than they are. Never did anything of note pre Guardiola, or on the continental or international stage.

It wasn't too long ago people were calling Pedro world class after he thrived under Pep's system too.
Unbelievably harsh. He obviously did enough pre Pep to justify City paying around 50mil for him.

Mr Smith

Whats Sterling worth at this current time, considering he is at least statistically the best English player and maybe the best player in the league?

We have talk of someone who has done very little in comparison being worth £100 million, so what would the very best English player and best player in the league be worth?

Surely at least 3 times as much as someone who hasnt even played 50 matches yet? So probably a world record fee then?
Transfer valuations don't work like that. We have a lot of season's to judge Sterling's quality on; he's a known quantity. It's different for kids like Sancho (or Mbappe from a couple of years ago), where they come flying out of the blocks at a young age and their ceiling is basically viewed as limitless. Plus players like Sancho (and Mbappe at Monaco) are the key players in their teams, the talismen. It's different with Sterling, who's in a team where he's a valuable player, but not necessarily an essential one, or one that would be particularly missed or difficult to replace should they sell him.

Treble

Apart from Kane, who is the last English player to have at least two 20+ seasons in a row?

IIRC, even Rooney didn't have 2 such seasons in a row. He would probably have had at this City side though, they are arguably the most creative team in PL history. Which might inflate Sterling's stats to an extent.

Bearded One

Apart from Kane, who is the last English player to have at least two 20+ seasons in a row?

IIRC, even Rooney didn't have 2 such seasons in a row. He would probably have had at this City side though, they are arguably the most creative team in PL history. Which might inflate Sterling's stats to an extent.
Kane is a striker and should normally score more than a wide attacker. Also Spurs would allow Kane make countless shots at opposition goal, something that Sterling doesn't have the luxury to do because Pep team emphasize passing till a clear opportunity to score is found. I don't think Sterling's numbers are inflated. Even Aguero doesn't score far too many goals. City are quite profligate in general. They miss loads of chances. See even Sane's numbers aren't all that. Sterling normally should fizzle out from competition from elite talent like Bernado, Mahrez and Sane but he is one of their first names in matchday squads.

Judas

Open to offers
He is clearly above everyone else at the moment.

I know he's a prick, but he should be given the credit when it's due.

The best English player at the moment.
Since when was he a prick? Never come across like a prick to me, certainly seems to be a more level headed chap than the people who slag him off for absolutely nothing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I'll forgive him for running like a gay T-rex carrying a handbag, because the boy is a baller :drool:

Treble

Kane is a striker and should normally score more than a wide attacker. Also Spurs would allow Kane make countless shots at opposition goal, something that Sterling doesn't have the luxury to do because Pep team emphasize passing till a clear opportunity to score is found. I don't think Sterling's numbers are inflated. Even Aguero doesn't score far too many goals. City are quite profligate in general. They miss loads of chances. See even Sane's numbers aren't all that. Sterling normally should fizzle out from competition from elite talent like Bernado, Mahrez and Sane but he is one of their first names in matchday squads.
Agree. My intention wasn't to put Sterling down but to suggest that Rooney would have consecutive 20+ seasons in this City team.

Do you remember who was the last English player before Kane and Sterling to have consecutive 20+ seasons? Lampard, Gerrard?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
It's weird how much you like him though. And I don't mean that as a dig, as much as my personal opinion is that Kane is better, I really don't mind if other people think otherwise and can understand why.

But it's just bizarre to me how much you're bigging up a player who plays for a rival team. Like you've spent so much time fighting the corner of this bloke who is banging in the goals for your across city rival, doesn't that somewhat clash with the fact that you're meant to not really like City? Do you celebrate when Sterling scores? Like I'm imagining you seeing that he got a hattrick for them today and you getting all excited because you could bump the thread.

Like I said before, I can't imagine ever liking a rival player to that extent, I can admit Chelsea or Arsenal players are good but I'm certainly not going to race to defend their honour or big them up at any opportunity. I think I'd throw up if I saw an Arsenal fan doing for Kane what you're doing for Sterling. You're already having to support City in the title race, isn't that enough without jacking yourself silly over their players?
Woow, you're just too serious! :lol:

Okey

Sucks that he's only played for the enemy, but easy answer to the OP... Yes!

Ekeke

Transfer valuations don't work like that. We have a lot of season's to judge Sterling's quality on; he's a known quantity. It's different for kids like Sancho (or Mbappe from a couple of years ago), where they come flying out of the blocks at a young age and their ceiling is basically viewed as limitless. Plus players like Sancho (and Mbappe at Monaco) are the key players in their teams, the talismen. It's different with Sterling, who's in a team where he's a valuable player, but not necessarily an essential one, or one that would be particularly missed or difficult to replace should they sell him.
So a one season wonder is a limitless player.

I guess you havent been watching football long, else you'd have seen lots of young players crash and burn. More do that than succeed. Thats why a known quantity is much better.

Sterling would be difficult to replace

Mr Smith

So a one season wonder is a limitless player.

I guess you havent been watching football long, else you'd have seen lots of young players crash and burn. More do that than succeed. Thats why a known quantity is much better.

Sterling would be difficult to replace
I'm not saying that young players have limitless potentially, I'm saying that some young players (eg Sancho and Mbappe) are seen that way, and this often means their transfer value gets blown way out of proportion. Hence why for example Sancho would probably be valued higher than Sterling in the current market. Not saying it's right, just saying that sometimes transfer value has little to do with players actual value.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Between him and Kane. Good arguements could be made for either

Ekeke

I'm not saying that young players have limitless potentially, I'm saying that some young players (eg Sancho and Mbappe) are seen that way, and this often means their transfer value gets blown way out of proportion. Hence why for example Sancho would probably be valued higher than Sterling in the current market. Not saying it's right, just saying that sometimes transfer value has little to do with players actual value.
You honestly think Sancho would be bought for more than Sterling?

I think thats crazy talk

tony54

Absolutely no. He is a coniving cheat who has a good team around him.
He is and was pathetic in all his England games and England could have progressed further if him and ally were not in the team.
Wouldnt want him at manchester united or and premadonnas of his ilk.

Mr Smith

You honestly think Sancho would be bought for more than Sterling?

I think thats crazy talk
I think it's perfectly possible that a player like Sterling could go for 70-80 mil and Sancho for 100 plus in the current market. To be fair though, dependent on the buyer of each of course; a PL buyer can pay much more than a buyer from Italy or Germany.

For instance if us/City were going for Sancho, Dortmund would hike the fee to an outrageous level, because they know we can pay it. Meanwhile, if Sterling was going to Juventus or Bayern ore even Real, they probably wouldn't be prepared to pay in excess of 90mil; the only circumstance in which they'd buy is if they could get him for a cut price (on the last year of his contract perhaps). And if City were looking to offload him, they would have to lower their price, because they would know the likes of Juventus or Bayern (maybe less so with Real, not sure what their financial situation is but they haven't been too active in the market lately), simply can't pay the astronomical fees PL clubs can.

All these are ifs, buts and maybes of course. And I certainly don't think Sancho should cost more than Sterling. But could it happen, with the PL currently skewing the market to the extent it does? I think definitely.

Ekeke

I think it's perfectly possible that a player like Sterling could go for 70-80 mil and Sancho for 100 plus in the current market. To be fair though, dependent on the buyer of each of course; a PL buyer can pay much more than a buyer from Italy or Germany.

For instance if us/City were going for Sancho, Dortmund would hike the fee to an outrageous level, because they know we can pay it. Meanwhile, if Sterling was going to Juventus or Bayern ore even Real, they probably wouldn't be prepared to pay in excess of 90mil; the only circumstance in which they'd buy is if they could get him for a cut price (on the last year of his contract perhaps). And if City were looking to offload him, they would have to lower their price, because they would know the likes of Juventus or Bayern (maybe less so with Real, not sure what their financial situation is but they haven't been too active in the market lately), simply can't pay the astronomical fees PL clubs can.

All these are ifs, buts and maybes of course. And I certainly don't think Sancho should cost more than Sterling. But could it happen, with the PL currently skewing the market to the extent it does? I think definitely.
So why in this hypothetical are City trying to offload Sterling, but Sancho is a bidding war?

Think about if they were in the same circumstances. PSG or Madrid want to sign Sterling from Man City, who obviously want to keep him because he's been their best player this season.

Compare that to a club wanting to sign Sancho

And if you tell me that Sancho goes for more money, once again I say crazy.

Treble

He wouldn't right now. It's quite possible that Sancho is perceived by many fans and pundits as having a higher ceiling than Sterling but it's all very hypothetical to ensure a higher transfer in the current market. In a year or two - maybe.

Mr Smith

So why in this hypothetical are City trying to offload Sterling, but Sancho is a bidding war?

Think about if they were in the same circumstances. PSG or Madrid want to sign Sterling from Man City, who obviously want to keep him because he's been their best player this season.

Compare that to a club wanting to sign Sancho

And if you tell me that Sancho goes for more money, once again I say crazy.
I was just outlining specific circumstances in which I think Sancho could go for more than Sterling. Plenty of circumstances in which it could go the other way, including the one you outlined. The broader point I was making (perhaps not very clearly) is that the money in the PL, overhyping young talent, and a range of other factors often results in young players like Sancho being vastly overpriced (which isn't to say they're not worth pursuing either).

Ekeke

I was just outlining specific circumstances in which I think Sancho could go for more than Sterling. Plenty of circumstances in which it could go the other way, including the one you outlined. The broader point I was making (perhaps not very clearly) is that the money in the PL, overhyping young talent, and a range of other factors often results in young players like Sancho being vastly overpriced (which isn't to say they're not worth pursuing either).
Okay. But obviously I'm comparing similar circumstances which is far more likely, that their current clubs want to keep them and a club with the resources to buy the player wants to sign them. Its pointless talking about unlikely circumstances where City want to sell their best player this season to a club who dont have money. They obviously want to keep him unless they are given an offer that makes sense for them to sell, just like any club.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Pretty much almost no offer would make sense for City to sell Sterling though.

They're insanely rich and not only is he one of their best players but he's English, which with the quotas is vitally important.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Has taken over Kane.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Absolutely no. He is a coniving cheat who has a good team around him.
He is and was pathetic in all his England games and England could have progressed further if him and ally were not in the team.
Wouldnt want him at manchester united or and premadonnas of his ilk.
I blame Southgate for that, not Sterling. It's too bad it took him until after the World Cup was over to figure out that a 3-5-2 is not England's best formation and to stop playing Sterling out of position. Had England played a 4-3-3 with Sterling in his correct position (like he was in the Nations League) then I think England would have beat Croatia in the semi-finals and had a good chance vs France...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I blame Southgate for that, not Sterling. It's too bad it took him until after the World Cup was over to figure out that a 3-5-2 is not England's best formation and to stop playing Sterling out of position. Had England played a 4-3-3 with Sterling in his correct position (like he was in the Nations League) then I think England would have beat Croatia in the semi-finals and had a good chance vs France...

Nah, he's always been terrible for England in most formations he has been played in. I agree the 3-5-2 was not our best formation and fitted Sterling poorly, but it doesn't excuse some of his play at the world cup. Basically everybody managed a goal against Panama apart from him.

He's dreadful in an England shirt, even in the Nations League aside from Spain he's just continued on from that. He can't finish to save his life when outside of the chance creation machine that is Manchester City.