Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Neymar, Mane, Salah, Fekir, Mahrez, Son, Ziyech

The rest I think are semi-arguable (although I'd swap Son for Sterling in a heartbeat) and Neymar is clearly better than him but the bold ones are mental.

I mean ... Fekir? He's not even a winger, is he? And he's at Real Betis ffs.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's a weird one for me. His impact is obviously immense but skill wise I think he still leaves a lot to be desired. His finishing is still really poor, he isn't much of a passer either. I think he benefits hugely from the team he's in in terms of his output. A lot of his goals are put on a plate for him by actual quality players like KDB, the Silva's and Aguero.

Good player but nowhere near world class IMO.
Have we been watching the same player? For all the plaudits Bernardo and Sane have had in the past, there's a reason Pep and the majority of City fans believe Sterling to be the hardest to bench of the three. His finishing is clearly not 'really poor', his recent record speaks for itself. He can still improve and he is still culpable of missing some easy chances but as far as players in his position go he is one of the best finishers. I expect that the stats would support the view that he is now a pretty clinical finisher. He's a very good dribbler, strong, phenomenal acceleration, excellent movement and link up play, good crosser, great vision, decent through ball. If he's not world class then there must only be a few players worthy of such a description.

RooneyLegend

Come on. I'm a big fan of Son but not a chance are any of them better than him.
No chance Son and Mahrez are better than him? sure i understand why some would say so about Ziyech and Fekir given they dont play for the glamour clubs but saying theres no chance Mahrez is better than him is strange given all he's done in the prem. As for Son, He's simply a threat in situations Sterling really isn't't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No chance Son and Mahrez are better than him? sure i understand why some would say so about Ziyech and Fekir given they dont play for the glamour clubs but saying theres no chance Mahrez is better than him is strange given all he's done in the prem. As for Son, He's simply a threat in situations Sterling really isn't't.
It’s not strange. They play in the same team and Sterling outperforms him in it. :confused:

Pace is the only thing Son beats Sterling in and even that’s close.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's not that I don't think he has improved - but every time I see him for England he looks the exact same player he was for Liverpool. The unnecessary dribbling, the ball bouncing off his knee or shin as he dribbles to the point he loses control, inability to pass in a creative manner and spending too much time on the ball.

Though this is rightfully due to Southgate below mediocre management - it does highlight what I always think - that sterling's consistent tap in hatrick's are influenced much more by Pep Guardiola's fantastic team management and tactics that anything particularly great or improved by Sterling.

His individual ability isn't anything special until the moment he has the space and passes given to him by the city squad, manager and tactics.

Reactions: Ødegaard

RooneyLegend

It's not that I don't think he has improved - but every time I see him for England he looks the exact same player he was for Liverpool. The unnecessary dribbling, the ball bouncing off his knee or shin as he dribbles to the point he loses control, inability to pass in a creative manner and spending too much time on the ball.

Though this is rightfully due to Southgate below mediocre management - it does highlight what I always think - that sterling's consistent tap in hatrick's are influenced much more by Pep Guardiola's fantastic team management and tactics that anything particularly great or improved by Sterling.

His individual ability isn't anything special until the moment he has the space and passes given to him by the city squad, manager and tactics.
this this and more of this

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal

That's a good post and I agree. I would double down on what you said by adding that even though I believe Sterling is England's best player, he has never been able to see the picture in front of him. That is a severe limitation. It makes Kane indispensable to England.

Kane can at least see what's going on around him and can make a decision whether to play somebody through or be greedy & go for glory from a distance. If he just did a reverse pass near the end of the match in the Nation's League, we'd probably have beaten Netherlands but it was his choice to ignore the runner. But with Sterling it's different, he simply cannot spot the runners.

Last edited:

TsuWave

"b-b-but the system!! it has to be the system!!"

if its the system why can't any random bum do what Sterling is doing them?

world class player. no debating.

OverratedOpinion

He really is bloody brilliant.

He is almost two players, he can be really explosive with great dribbling and runs in behind but he is also excellent at finding space and playing neat little passes.

I hate that he plays for City.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Winning twitter tonight too.

Yagami

Good post resistant

He is almost two players, he can be really explosive with great dribbling and runs in behind but he is also excellent at finding space and playing neat little passes.

Yep, but it could be worse... He could still be at Liverpool!

Walters_19_MuFc

Played for Liverpool, currently at City, remains a United fan.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
That's a good post and I agree. I would double down on what you said by adding that even though I believe Sterling is England's best player, he has never been able to see the picture in front of him. That is a severe limitation. It makes Kane indispensable to England.

Kane can at least see what's going on around him and can make a decision whether to play somebody through or be greedy & go for glory from a distance. If he just did a reverse pass near the end of the match in the Nation's League, we'd probably have beaten Netherlands but it was his choice to ignore the runner. But with Sterling it's different, he simply cannot spot the runners.
So Kane can see the big picture, it's just his decision-making that's the problem? I suppose that would explain why he didn't square for Sterling to tap home an open goal to take England 2-0 vs Croatia in the World Cup semi-final.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So Kane can see the big picture, it's just his decision-making that's the problem? I suppose that would explain why he didn't square for Sterling to tap home an open goal to take England 2-0 vs Croatia in the World Cup semi-final.
He saw the even bigger picture: Sterling probably would have missed that because he was missing sitters all tournament. Smart man Kane knew it was better off left in his own hands.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Spot on. Kane definitely knew Sterling was there, he has great awareness but he refused to square it so that Sterling has an empty net and instead decided to go for goal himself (possibly thinking about the golden boot?). I wouldn't have a problem with that if he scored, but he missed from close range and that's the problem. Wrong decisions like that make all the difference in World Cup Semi Finals.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
Sterling is a very fast runner who can turn quickly. His final pass and finishing are poor. Still a player you would want but not outstanding.

OverratedOpinion

In fear of acting like a "fanboy" over a City player I think he seems incredibly mature for his age and has probably dealt with more unjust abuse from fans than anyone since Ronaldo post 2006 World Cup.

I obviously hope he never scores another club goal again but fair play to the lad.

In fear of acting like a "fanboy" over a City player I think he seems incredibly mature for his age and has probably dealt with more unjust abuse from fans than anyone since Ronaldo post 2006 World Cup.

I obviously hope he never scores another club goal again but fair play to the lad.
It’s fecking annoying to have respect, and an admiration for a City player who they bought from Liverpool!!

Also shows you need patience with young players - and if you have faith in them they can flourish.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It seems like he is the only black player that is getting regular attention from racist cnuts. Does anyone know the reason for that?

432JuanMata

It seems like he is the only black player that is getting regular attention from racist cnuts. Does anyone know the reason for that?
Because he’s really good ? I presume opposition supporters don’t like that he runs rings around there team so they resort to racism because they are morons. Only my opinion but seems close enough

Treble

Have nothing but deep respect for his campaign against racism. He's been many times on the end of vile abuse from racist idiots.

Supports
England
Why it was better off?
Shooting was probably at least an equal percentage play. Of course, with hindsight it wasn't "better" because a goal wasn't scored (though the save Kane drew was very good). But if you have hindsight, you can just go back, aim somewhere else and score every time[1] so it's a moot point.

At the time, Kane choosing to shoot over making an unreliable pass to a player who had been missing for fun all tournament was an acceptable decision and the fact that he's still being beaten over the head with it is just fecking stupid -- and may even say something about the lack of good original material to use against him. Other players cumulatively made dozens of individual mistakes that could have turned or did turn the match but because Kane made the high-visibility mistake, which could only be assessed as a mistake with hindsight, at the wrong time, he became the meme target for our loss.

[1] And if you miss, just go back again. It's hindsight. You can do whatever you want!

Anyway, on the broader topic, I think the most recent England games - the only time Kane and Sterling are anything close to directly comparable - support my continuing belief that Sterling has not clearly surpassed Kane. He may still do so but hasn't yet for me. The Czech game was a return to old Sterling whereas Kane looked good in a very bad team.

Regardless of which way you lean, however, I think it's clear that Kane and Sterling would be a world-beating forward duo at club level.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Sterling is easily England's best player atm, Kane is not even close. So many times Kane totally disappears only to show up when a teammate has won a penalty.