Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Kane is having a poor season so far. If he regain his form, then I would agree. But right now, Kane seem to have lost what has made him so good the last few season.
Over dramatic much?

He's got 6 league goals, 4 CL goals. He's not been at his absolute peak but he's still scoring despite some pretty meagre service. He's traditionally started seasons pretty slowly so it's been far from a disaster for him.

He scored 2 in his last 2 games, so let's see where he goes from here. The whole team hasn't been on form and a few players seem to have a world cup hangover.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We could see him break the PL appearance record. A lot of appearances so far at a young age.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Of course he is.

Who the feck cares about England? Means nothing.
Ermm it does because that's the point of being the best 'English' player. It actually means nothing to be called the best English player and do nothing for the national team.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Ermm it does because that's the point of being the best 'English' player. It actually means nothing to be called the best English player and do nothing for the national team.
You can be a world class player without performing at international level.

PepsiCola

It's ridiculous how much Pep and his system have improved Sterling.

Imagine he'd coached Martial and Rashford

:drool::(

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The kid is crazy good at times. I didn't think too much about it when we sold him, but damn, how much would he go for now? 23 going on 24, English, on a long contract... Surely a £80-100m+ player in todays market.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

He’s a great player but we’ve got no idea if he’s a good coach or not.

Bearded One

He's pushing to be best epl player never mind the best english player at the moment. He is the most productive player in the league today as he has the highest number of goals plus assists in the league.

Treble

The kid is crazy good at times. I didn't think too much about it when we sold him, but damn, how much would he go for now? 23 going on 24, English, on a long contract... Surely a £80-100m+ player in todays market.
Would cost more than Coutinho. Him and Sane turning into special players.

paulscholes18

Most certainly is the Best English player at the moment, if not the best player in the league on current form

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sterling is so weird, most goals in the league, most assists in the league... still can't properly strike through a football. When he got the new deal I said I was skeptical of him being worth. Worth every cent, on current form he's a shoe in for player of the year.

Strangely Callum Wilson is probably his closest rival, that lad too is turning into a beast. 7 goals 4 assists in 14 games for B'mouth.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What do people think of his england performances?
Have to get better but he'd hardly be the first player to be amazing at club level and poorish at international. There is an entire golden generation who were the same.

LoveFootball

Best player due to Guardiola's system. Otamendi, Stones, Fernandinho, Sylva, De Bryne, Walker and many other players were good players, but it'd be disingenuous to deny that Pep have elevated them to another level. Was waiting to see how he'll do when asked the task of building a new team without having world class players and he's proving me that he's really a one of a kind. It's a crime we didn't go for him; instead we got the greatest fraud in the history of football :mad:.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
He's such a weird footballer. Sometimes he doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, and he often runs like Bambi. But there is a reason why most of his goals involve back post tap ins. Because he has a striker's vision of where to run, when to run, when NOT to run. Finding space at such speed is difficult and he's mastered it.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Player of the year up until now.

Subconsciously underrated in the eyes of many because he's black and small.

pacifictheme

He’s a great player but we’ve got no idea if he’s a good coach or not.
:lol:

On topic sterling is fantastic. Its great as an england fan to see him playing so well. Sancho starting to look good too. England have quite a few up and coming players / improving players as well. The future looks quite bright, midfield aside.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I'd certainly prefer to think he's underrated on this forum because he has played for Liverpool and City.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

No it's not. Last season was a massive step up for him. It's only just become clear how good he is and not everyone is gonna be won over immediately, specially with that World Cup in the middle of it.

Back on topic though. He looks to not just be a fantastic player, but to still be improving too. Great to see for English football (hopefully transfers it to the England side). Not so great as a United fan, but I struggle to care about that with how things are at the moment.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think he'd turn Rashford into a top class left winger. Not too sure about Martial, though. He likes high energy players and Martial is anything but. That said, he did buy Mahrez, who is somewhat similar in approach to Martial.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He is in immense form just like last season. Simply a fantastic player, however he does rely heavily on City's setup. He's nowhere near the same level for England.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He is in immense form just like last season. Simply a fantastic player, however he does rely heavily on City's setup. He's nowhere near the same level for England.
But then who is for their country? Remember Sané who didn't make it to the world cup, and hasn't convinced in the NT shirt until 2-3 games ago, when Löw finally paired him with other pacey attackers, similar to what City do.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Still don't rate him as highly as you all even though he's good. If/when Pep leaves, It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up.
But then who is for their country? Remember Sané who didn't make it to the world cup, and hasn't convinced in the NT shirt until 2-3 games ago, when Löw finally paired him with other pacey attackers, similar to what City do.
Sterling, even though I defended his selection as a first choice attacker at the world cup, was one of our worst players the majority of the time, imo. He plays with good, pacy players, too, who outperform him for England. Like Lingard who is nowhere near as talented as him. Rashford also plays better for England than he does for us (United). Kane isn't a slouch either.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Such a stupid thing to say, incredible. That is actually insulting to people who don't like him for footballing reasons, me included.

MrEleson

He's basically Guardiola's new Pedro IMO.

A reasonably talented player that is maximised by his team and coach's tactics to play beyond his limits. Under a different team and tutelage, his output wouldn't quite be the same.

AmenBmen

Supports
Arsenal
Kane first. If Sterling carries this on for the rest of the season he will have better numbers than Kane since the start of last season though.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Kane is better, Sterling is helped by playing in this City team. He's very good though and he's having a great season so far.

mav_9me

Kane is better, Sterling is helped by playing in this City team. He's very good though and he's having a great season so far.
Couldn't agree more. Imagine if Kane was playing for City.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Such a stupid thing to say, incredible. That is actually insulting to people who don't like him for footballing reasons, me included.
I have heard way too many people describe Sterling as a simple pace merchant when he has great touch, close control and awareness. You can not tell me his race has nothing to do with that.