Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
football is a funny game, he was poor, borderline dog shit in the games where he scored, yet people were hyping him up. He’s been excellent in the last 2 games where he hasn’t scored, and it’s gone a bit quiet.

Goals are important obviously but they shouldn’t be the measuring stick of a 90 minute performance.

Siorac

Unless England lose big on the Final, Sterling is player of the tournament.
I agree but inexplicably, Kane was UEFA's 'star of the match' yesterday so they might go with him, especially if he scores in the final.

He’s scored more goals in major tournaments than any other England player apart from one. He was very good last night in the biggest game England have had for three years. He’s either England’s best or second best player.
the post I replied to was about THIS tournament. Based on this tournament he’s not our best player.

as we all know it’s not based on just 7 games.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
football is a funny game, he was poor, borderline dog shit in the games where he scored, yet people were hyping him up. He’s been excellent in the last 2 games where he hasn’t scored, and it’s gone a bit quiet.

Goals are important obviously but they shouldn’t be the measuring stick of a 90 minute performance.

Well it’s not like England have any Neymar-level players who can totally boss a game without scoring, so ultimately whoever gets the goals that win the games is going to be important. For this tournament, that’s been Sterling and Kane.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well it’s not like England have any Neymar-level players who can totally boss a game without scoring, so ultimately whoever gets the goals that win the games is going to be important. For this tournament, that’s been Sterling and Kane.
We do have a player like that, though. Also, Sterling had Denmark on toast last night and didn't score.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well we have 2 but the can’t get on the pitch.

lost7

His runs are world class, if you look at his movement when he attacks the ball in the box, the timing is just so perfect

Stacks

His runs are world class, if you look at his movement when he attacks the ball in the box, the timing is just so perfect
Its no fluke that he always gets clear of defenders into dangerous positions. Plenty of players have pace but don't have the intelligence of where to run and when

Member 101269

I can't remember the last time i saw Neymar/Neymar-level boss a game at elite/international/world level competitions on a consistent basis... Can you?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
We do have a player like that, though. Also, Sterling had Denmark on toast last night and didn't score.
He played very well but it’s not like he was bossing the entire game and pulling strings all night. They gave MOTM to Kane IIRC.

The point I was making is that the focus is naturally going to be on the goalscorers that win the games in this team because of the way they play. That’s why the focus was on Sterling in the early games (despite the fact that his overall performances were perhaps lesser) and is on Kane now.

Attacking performances have to really be exceptional to take the focus away from whoever scores the goals, and England haven’t really had a performer of that level, though there have been plenty of good performances.

You can argue that the defenders should get more credit as England’s premier performers but defenders usually get less attention in any case.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I can't remember the last time i saw Neymar/Neymar-level boss a game at elite/international/world level competitions on a consistent basis... Can you?
He’s been doing it for the past month

Yagami

Good post resistant
He played very well but it’s not like he was bossing the entire game and pulling strings all night. They gave MOTM to Kane IIRC.

The point I was making is that the focus is naturally going to be on the goalscorers that win the games in this team because of the way they play. That’s why the focus was on Sterling in the early games (despite the fact that his overall performances were perhaps lesser) and is on Kane now.

Attacking performances have to really be exceptional to take the focus away from whoever scores the goals, and England haven’t really had a performer of that level, though there have been plenty of good performances.

You can argue that the defenders should get more credit as England’s premier performers but defenders usually get less attention in any case.
There's always a bias towards Kane so I wouldn't read too much into that. Don't get me wrong; he's great, played brilliantly, and I have no problem with the praise, but he's England's golden boy regardless of performances. Sterling gets treated much harsher despite being just as important and influential for us.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I agree with you there.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
There's always a bias towards Kane so I wouldn't read too much into that. Don't get me wrong; he's great, played brilliantly, and I have no problem with the praise, but he's England's golden boy regardless of performances. Sterling gets treated much harsher despite being just as important and influential for us.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, I agree with you there.
Yes, what you say about Kane and Sterling is certainly true

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I did, he was awful in the CL. Maybe try thinking about the level of competition and his inability to perform..
He was awful in the CL was he? Time for you to try a different sport, I think

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I agree but inexplicably, Kane was UEFA's 'star of the match' yesterday so they might go with him, especially if he scores in the final.
Probably. Hopefully Sterling gets the PoT and Kane the Golden Boot.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That depends less on Neymar and more on you watching (or not watching) Brazil & PSG.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Unless England lose big on the Final, Sterling is player of the tournament.
I mean, basically. You can quibble about the level of his overall performances, especially early on (and I do recall chatter on radio and social media etc for him to be dropped after those first couple of matches, even though he scored), but a summary of his tournament looks like this:

match-winning goal in 3 games

match-winning assist in 1 game

forced an OG and won the match-winning penalty in 1 game.

That’s pretty good in terms of key actions at key times.

Member 101269

The juvenile mindset that equates saying someone is good with ‘paying homage to them’
The juvenile mindset is those who believe a view of consistent and experience are not a reality. Within that reality they believe they have a higher authority.

That reality is dependent on viewing PSG or Brazil, rathe than on his ability to perform consistently enough at the higher level for that quality to be viewed. That he has not done..

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The juvenile mindset is those who believe a view of consistent and experience are not a reality. Within that reality they believe they have a higher authority.

That reality is dependent on viewing PSG or Brazil, rathe than on his ability to perform consistently enough at the higher level for that quality to be viewed. That he has not done..
Make it make sense y’all

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
All that diving caught up with him, ref wasn't having any of it today.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I think he is and has been for some time now, and pretty comfortably.
Please stop man :D
He can't even get into your team at the moment not to mention Pep wanted him gone.
He has to be one of the most overrated English players in recent times.

Member 101269

He can't even get into your team at the moment not to mention Pep wanted him gone.
Mason is better. Stirling is a slightly better version of James.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
We're not talking about City or Pep. For England, nobody has performed better than Sterling for a long time.

Classical Mechanic

We're not talking about City or Pep. For England, nobody has performed better than Sterling for a long time.
Kane will probably beat Rooney's goalscoring record but at 26 I think Sterling has a chance to as well. His output for England has improved massively and we score a lot more goals these days as a team.

To say no one has performed better for England in a long time is wide of the mark in my opinion. We actually have quite a lot of players that are very good for us these days. Kane is putting up similar numbers. We rarely concede goals and all the defenders and Pickford put up good performances on a consistent basis. Rice is unpopular with many on here but he's also been excellent for England recently.

Pep's Suit

Joke of a player and has been like that for most of last 12-15 months now. He certainly improved his PR during that period but damn he's so bad now.

Idxomer

Not even playing today with Grealish on the bench, only 3 starts in the PL this season.