Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Stacks

In Kane's worst season where he played less games than Sterling because of injuries, but let's just ignore context?? Kane had a better goal to minutes ratio than Sterling, he just played less.

And it's arguable whether Sterling is the key player at City, very arguable.

Yes, it is fair. If you are consistently shite for England outside of your comfort bubble then something is probably up. If you score 1 goal and get no assists at multiple tournaments, then maybe that should be noted. If you have to have Guardiola's system to perform, then maybe you aren't as super duper great as people on here think, I mean this is meant to be a ballon d'or level footballer according to some of you.
Those stats are per 90 mins stat, so number of mins doesn't count, if anything it adds in Sterling's favor that even after playing more mins, he maintained higher standards.

So player who is focal point of the team, takes penalties has better mins per goal compared to wide forward, not surprising.

Yeah, it's just Pep's system, it's not as if he was superb when he was just 18 or something in 2013-14 season, playing under Rodgers.

Also in 2017-18 season, Kane averaged 90 mins per G+A in PL and CL. Sterling averaged 91 mins per G+A. This is with Kane's 7 goals from penalty spot.

If you go by chances created, take ons completed and few more again Sterling will come out on top. So it's not like Sterling was better only last season.
You two will never agree face it. A wise man once said in an article after the Holland match that without the superior technical qualities of their club teammates, the true level of many of Southgates players become apparent I.e. you see the real level of Englishmen when playing with other Englishmen......

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does it really matter who is better between Kane or Sterling? Both are absolutely brilliant players at the top of their game - England fans should be delighted to have them both.

Stacks

Aguero's minutes per goal are generally up there with the very best, if not the best. The only thing that has held him back from 40+ seasons in the past has been injuries. I think Kane would score 20+ in the league for City (the goals are shared out a little more) but also would easily get 10+ assists with the players around him. In a fully fit season for City? I easily think he'd get 40+ all comps pretty much every season.

Anyway, the point is not 'sterling only scores/assists because of players around him' because clearly he's a brilliant player who is earning that spot. The point is that the service in to Kane (particularly last season) hasn't been particularly good as a result of us being a far more functional team than City are. We simply score far less goals than they do, and we play the likes of Sissoko/Winks in midfield who, whilst decent players, don't have half the dribbling or creative passing ability that City's midfielders do.

Recognising that fact is perfectly logical, as is noting that Sterling seems to struggle to replicate his performances when outside of a creative machine full of fantastic movement, whereas Kane doesn't. For me I think Sterling is perfect for this city side but would struggle more elsewhere whereas Kane could go in to any side and score goals because that's natural to him. I do believe Sterling to be more of a 'system player' than Kane is, but again that doesn't mean he's not a great one.
The last paragraph appears evident to me too

Treble

2 years ago I'd have laughed at the thought of Sterling scoring 25+ league goals. It's a possibility now. His pace over short distances is deadly.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He looked a huge threat again tonight v Bulgaria, particularly in the first half.

Is he a genuine Ballon d’Or contender (winner?) in the post-Messi/Ronaldo era? I really like him. The improvement in his game in the past two/three seasons is phenomenal.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Remember him breaking through in 13/14 and for a while it looked like he was 'stagnating'. But ever since 2017 he has been top class and now he's starting to produce the stats for England too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's oozing confidence in an England shirt right now and it's an absolute delight to watch him

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Pep has helped realise his potential.

wr8_utd

:'(
A joy to watch when in full flight (which is all the time these days).

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Consistently delivering the goods.

What a signing he has been for City, the bastards.

Sylar

His off the ball movement and getting into positions for tap-ins has improved so much. I think his finishing has improved too (and can still get better). Hes a great player. Could even say hes got the point of World class with is output and how hes performing every week for club and country.

The One and Only

His off the ball movement and getting into positions for tap-ins has improved so much. I think his finishing has improved too (and can still get better). Hes a great player. Could even say hes got the point of World class with is output and how hes performing every week for club and country.
He's definitely world class and in the list of top 10 players in the world. I would want him ahead of any player in the PL, except maybe De Bruyne

BatistutaGoal

Supports
Leicester City
At the moment it's pretty clear just how massively he's improving under Pep. Very impressive. Want to see how he performs at the actual major international tournament of course, but no doubt he has a lot of talent.

RooneyLegend

Shows just how unfortunate it is for other players not to be working with these elite coaches. These blokes take talented players and turn them into monsters.

KennyBurner

Don't know why pep is being credited here. sterling was always a great player and it was a matter of time before he started showing worldclass performances conistently. Dont forget he was also very good under Rogers in a setup that didnt cost billions. He is just 24 so obviously his best years are about to begin under Guardiola. It really wouldnt be any different with another manager.

meamth

Don't know why pep is being credited here. sterling was always a great player and it was a matter of time before he started showing worldclass performances conistently. Dont forget he was also very good under Rogers in a setup that didnt cost billions. He is just 24 so obviously his best years are about to begin under Guardiola. It really wouldnt be any different with another manager.
You could see the difference between pre Pep's Sterling and now.

His intelligence to move the ball quickly to avoid pressing is like a cheat code, untouchable. I truly believe that is the result of Pep's drills.

He is the epitome of a non classic english player, the purest flair player to ever play for England.

ariveded

He can and should be the greatest player for England this century. He has everything, and if he continues his progress, he will get only better.

Its just unfortunate that he plays for City so he doesnt have the feel good story like Kane (local boy, early struggles, grassroots). But that shouldnt corrupt our minds and perception.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
You could see the difference between pre Pep's Sterling and now.

His intelligence to move the ball quickly to avoid pressing is like a cheat code, untouchable. I truly believe that is the result of Pep's drills.

He is the epitome of a non classic english player, the purest flair player to ever play for England.
Over Gazza? Beardsley? Barnes? I like Sterling alot but this isn't true

Green_Red

Only criticism of him is he doesn't have that killer instinct for shooting. If he could add that to his game and start being a goal threat from different areas on the pitch then he's up there with some of the top names in football right now.

flappyjay

Well those have a whole career. Sterling is yet to even reach his prime. Probably at the end you might have a different view

Raw

I remember mocking the £50m fee they paid for him. Him and De Bruyne. What a fecking bargain :(

Vissy

Absolutely he is the best right now, he is a harrowing forward to play against and seems to be in permanent good form.

meamth

I don't think Gazza, Beardsley and Barnes can beat players consistently like Sterling does.

Sterling can shield, turn, and poof there he goes, 2-3 defenders beaten just like that.

EDIT:

Just watched those players you mentioned at Youtube. I truly believe Sterling is the finest flair player England ever had.

Gazza dribbling skills are more robust, but has some flair. The things he does is flashy but not refined to perfection.

Beardsly is very direct, he got skills but is the same like Gazza.

Barnes too, they all have that british flair to it.

Sterling is different, we can see his technique on another level. Very Spanish, but direct and agile. Pretty much English Bernardo Silva.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I remember mocking the £50m fee they paid for him. Him and De Bruyne. What a fecking bargain :(
I remember John Aldridge claiming it’s a great move by Liverpool as Jordan Ibe is better

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shows just how unfortunate it is for other players not to be working with these elite coaches. These blokes take talented players and turn them into monsters.
In a perverse way it kind of makes you angry when you see some players not play under certain managers. Eden Hazard would've been so good under Pep.

Righteous Steps

I don't think Gazza, Beardsley and Barnes can beat players consistently like Sterling does.

Sterling can shield, turn, and poof there he goes, 2-3 defenders beaten just like that.

EDIT:

Just watched those players you mentioned at Youtube. I truly believe Sterling is the finest flair player England ever had.

Gazza dribbling skills are more robust, but has some flair. The things he does is flashy but not refined to perfection.

Beardsly is very direct, he got skills but is the same like Gazza.

Barnes too, they all have that british flair to it.

Sterling is different, we can see his technique on another level. Very Spanish, but direct. Pretty much English Bernardo Silva.
Laughable, no way had technique a level above Gazza apart from maybe Maradona, he was robust yes just like Maradona was, but he had flair guile technique in bundles, maybe you could say his street football style was more akin to South Americans(but the best texhnicaians normally are) he could go Italy at a time it had all the best players and not be exposed technically.

Barnes Beardsley Waddle Hoddle Marsh were all of the same ilk, there have been a load of English players with skill and technique to match their top European counterparts, whether they had the mentality to match is another thing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
54 appearances at 24 seems pretty impressive. Are there many players at his age with more/similar?

An aside, Rashford has 34 at 21. Impressive also.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Since this thread was created, I've always been Kane>Sterling.

Sterling having a poor world cup and Kane having a good one (especially his performance against Colombia I believe it was) contributed heavily to that.

Now, I think I agree with Sterling being labelled the best English player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I think Pep has contributed heavily to Sterling's (& a lot of City players) progression as footballers, but credit to Sterling himself of course.

I would've loved to have seen him coach the likes of Martial and Rashford.