Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree in general, obviously, but then again he is 'out form a bit' for a few months now. Which in my view shouldn't happen to players at the very top. Where he literally belonged for few seasons now.
Depends who the players at the very top are. Only Ronaldo and Messi keep a level of consistency when it comes to performance. Everyone else goes through dips of form.

Lewandowski, who is arguably the best striker in the world, went through a bit a couple seasons ago. Kane hasnt been himself for Spurs. Griezmann, etc. So, as I said, depends what you mean by 'players at the very top'.

RooneyLegend

He was never that good. It's that simple. Some of the talk when the season started was nothing short of comical. Some had him in the worlds top 5 for crying out loud.

RooneyLegend

Ah, recency b... Wait is this even recency bias or just ignorance...
One thing you can't accuse me of when discussing Sterling is recency bias. I've been very consistent in my views of him and his abilities even when he had a great scoring start to the season.

TrustInOle

Top player (not world class) who will very soon be took over by Rashford and Sancho, possibly more. Feel he has stagnated in recent seasons and focused more on goalscoring and better positioning. Feel he would come undone once Pep leaves, other than Pace and finishing I struggle to see what else he has in his locker? Not the best passer, terrible crosser, lack of vision, struggles in 1v1 situations. Again, yes he is good, but overly rated due to lack English pedigree.

In my view, his goal output went up, but his rest of the game has dwindled. Not entirely sure he is suited to possession football unless he sits in the box.

Skills

Snitch
Someone had him down as a future balloon d'Or winner. Nuts.

Sterlings a very good player but if that's the level of ability you need to be the best player in the world, you need piss weak competition.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He’s woefully out of form but I’ve no idea why people are trying to downplay his previous seasons or his talent. He’s a world class player who’s currently struggling. He’ll hit form again soon and be back to his best.

Dozer

He was England’s best player for a short time, and may well be again... he’s too talented to not be in that conversation. However, his form at the moment wouldn’t even get him in the England starting lineup. The Joe Gomez incident did seem to be a turning point.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He’s woefully out of form but I’ve no idea why people are trying to downplay his previous seasons or his talent. He’s a world class player who’s currently struggling. He’ll hit form again soon and be back to his best.
That's a bit too much dont you think??

pearl1337

I would honestly put Rashford up there. Yes, stats wise, Sterling is much better, but he also plays with a better squad. Rashford is also injures, and has played a lot trough an immensely painful injury.
Obviously Kane, but I think also Sancho surpasses him, because of his age

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is he in bad form or is he just not getting the tap-ins he normally masters in? His all round play is fine, just lacking the end product at the moment

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
His movement and pace is still exceptional. Self doubt infront of goal has really crept into his game. You can really see his mind working out what he wants to do as opposed to a natural finisher like Rooney/Vardy who has that instinct for goals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would honestly put Rashford up there. Yes, stats wise, Sterling is much better, but he also plays with a better squad. Rashford is also injures, and has played a lot trough an immensely painful injury.
Obviously Kane, but I think also Sancho surpasses him, because of his age
He's earned the right to play with a better squad. Plus he's a winger who got 18 assists last season. I want to know what this magic is that makes mediocre players get double figures in goals/assists season in, season out.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He's playing shit at the moment but the majority of man city players are. After the way they won it last year, must be hard to go at it the same way again, especially after seeing your rival win nearly every game.

City know they can't win the league so their heads have probably dropped.

I'm sure he'll be back firing next season.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
That's a bit too much dont you think??
In what way is he not world class?
He’s been absolutely excellent for 2 seasons for an incredible City side. He’s literally been one of the best players in the world over the past couple of years. I’d struggle to see any way someone could not view him as world class (unless you are basing it off his last few months).

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He’s been absolutely excellent for 2 seasons for an incredible City side. He’s literally been one of the best players in the world over the past couple of years. I’d struggle to see any way someone could not view him as world class (unless you are basing it off his last few months).
To be world class you have to have that something special i don't see that in Sterling. He's a very good player when in form but world class he's not

TsuWave

Pretty much

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Is he in bad form or is he just not getting the tap-ins he normally masters in? His all round play is fine, just lacking the end product at the moment
I agree with this. He is a very active little player, doing the right things, something most wingers can't say when they're off form. He has been coached very well at City.

TsuWave

To be world class you have to have that something special i don't see that in Sterling. He's a very good player when in form but world class he's not
Although the term in itself is reasonably vague, being world class isn’t based on intangibles like “something special”. It’s usually bestowed based on performances and output/productivity and in direct comparison with peers that play across same/similar positions. Sterling has more than justified his world class label even if you don’t think he has whatever x-factor you’re looking for.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
What players are world class?
If you’re one of Man City’s best players then you’re quite clearly world class.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Although the term in itself is reasonably vague, being world class isn’t based on intangibles like “something special”. It’s usually bestowed based on performances and output/productivity and in direct comparison with peers that play across same/similar positions. Sterling has more than justified his world class label even if you don’t think he has whatever x-factor you’re looking for.
It's the tekkers I bet ye

Paul_Scholes18

Depend totally on the definition. Top 10 in the world? top 100? top 1k?
He is in the top 30 in the PL still and top 100 in the world probably. In 1k no doubt about that. That comes from me who loves seeing him playing against us knowing he normally does nothing. Although players outside europe who are good might be underrated and not known to us.

I think about his rating in City then I do think Sane, Aguero, De bruyne, Laporte is above him in my view. Mahrez been similar level this season.
So if you need to be the best player in your team then that might exclude him.

Paul_Scholes18

:lol:

opinions, man. They can be wild. I guess it’s why forums exist.
Not really wild ones. Sane and Sterling has been performing at similar levels with different skills. Laporte was the best defender in the league next to Van Dijk last year in my opinion.
I could say Fernandinho too although he is getting old. Bernardo has dropped in quality this season too. Just cause Sterling scores a lot doesn't make him obviously better than those that creates or defend well.

Even though I do think there is more good enough defenders around compared to the number of strikers with quality.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably alone in this, but I thought it was a penalty after the penalty. Lloris doesn't get the ball and gets Sterling... if that was us I'd be screaming Pen.

Also probably lucky to have not been sent off (though I can sort of see why he wasn't) but yeah, he seems too in his own head at the moment... over thinking everything and not playing his natural game.

romufc

He's definitely not world class. He is a good goal scorer however; he doesnt offer anything else to the game.

Put him in any other team and you will see him struggle. World Class players bring other players standards higher.

City have KDB, Aguero and the like to help Sterling and make him look a better player than he is.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ever since that Joe Gomez incident, it’s all gone a bit pear shaped for Sterling. Karmic forces at play.

ExecutionerWasp001

A world class player could be put into any team & their quality would shine through. Sterling has been playing in the worlds most expensive squad where everyone has peaked. KDB & Aguero are the 2 World Class players that City have. This is proven by the fact that they are still putting in the performances they are known for while everyone else isn't. World Class players don't lose form for long periods & are able to elevate those around them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's pissing me off that Pep keeps playing him when it's so obvious how wank he's been playing recently. Just give the lad a rest. He's played around 55 games each season since 2014-15 (Including Internationals), so since the age of 19/20. That's an incredible amount of stress to a young athlete with minimal restbite between it. It's also worth mentioning that his best goal tally in all comps for a season was last year at 25 goals. He's already on 20 overall this year for City and for the past 2 months or so he's been really average. I dunno why you'd listen to anyone who says he isn't that good, they're idiots. He just needs a bit of rest.