Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Still can't see it flying with fans here in England. Inevitably a super league will hurt the premier league.

Replacing the CL with another merit based alternative could be workable. The trouble will be who gets left out. In the end it wouldn't be much different to the old champions league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If they are ditching the permanent members, I can see this happening, that was the main opposition before.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah this will never go away. I can see it happening in the next few years. England may not ever embrace it but I think the rest of Europe will

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If they are ditching the permanent members, I can see this happening, that was the main opposition before.
Possibly, especially when we consider UEFA's own plans to have parachute qualification for big clubs who fail to qualify through the league table.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
I do hope it returns. Feck off Ceferin and the PL traitors who say football is for the fans but celebrate with joy another oil club in northern England.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Wouldn't a Super League massively hurt the PL revenue?

I mean, nobody outside of UK is gonna give a damn about a PL where the contenders for the title are West Ham,Everton, Leicester, Wolves, etc.

I don't see the english FA happy about the Super League proposal.

Guy Incognito

Wouldn't a Super League massively hurt the PL revenue?

I mean, nobody outside of UK is gonna give a damn about a PL where the contenders for the title are West Ham,Everton, Leicester, Wolves, etc.

I don't see the english FA happy about the Super League proposal.
Yeah but the Football League weren't happy about the big boys splitting and the FA siding with them. It's swings and roundabouts.

A breakaway (sadly) is inevitable if Uefa doesn't reform.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The Prem and UCL are super league's in all but name anyway so meh.

Camilo

Well the epl is dull as shit so hopefully it happens. The same old rubbish competition every year, with the same old blah blah blah. Any change is good. Chnage has always happened, but over the last 30 years people have decided everything must stay the same forever. Boring.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well the epl is dull as shit so hopefully it happens. The same old rubbish competition every year, with the same old blah blah blah. Any change is good. Chnage has always happened, but over the last 30 years people have decided everything must stay the same forever. Boring.
How fine change is depends on what the media tell you is fine.

Uefa slipped through a change to give two spots in the UCL based on rankings (which protect the likes of Barca, United and even us in the event of missing out on top 4) while everyone was distracted with the ESL outrage. The biggest difference between both was Gary Neville wasn't whipping the nation into a frenzy.

Strootman's Finger

If you think the Premier League is dull as shit you should just pick a new sport. We went from a 2 team league 20 years ago to a league were there are up to 6 potential title challengers at the beginning of every season. Top 6/8 teams are usually tight, even if there is the odd breakaway league leader, European place competition is super tight. The only thing tighter is the regulation battles. And on any given day, any team can beat any team, you could have relegation fodder beating the champs, with ease, as likely as you are to see a top 4 team beat a relegation team. It's the greatest league in the world, maybe not even limited to football, I don't know any other sports leagues as exciting.

Reactions: 711

Siorac

We went from a 2 team league 20 years ago to a league were there are up to 6 potential title challengers at the beginning of every season.
That's just the usual marketing hype but in reality... if City win it this year, it will be four out of the last five and there was one meaningful, actual title race in that period. Only Chelsea and Liverpool can realistically challenge them - and I'm being generous about Chelsea who haven't challenged for the title since 2017.

Sure, the competition for European places is tight but that's true in every single league with loads of European places. Hell, that's even true in the Bundesliga where the title is a formality.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you think the Premier League is dull as shit you should just pick a new sport. We went from a 2 team league 20 years ago to a league were there are up to 6 potential title challengers at the beginning of every season.
Is there? Since 17/18 City and/or Liverpool have been running up the type of stats that was used to put La Liga down when Barca/Real were doing similar and from 96 to 2013 it was (bar 04/05 when three had a shot) always United and one other when it came to who had a chance of winning the title (first Arsenal, then Chelsea, then City).

The only time it was a bit more open in terms of possibilities was between 13-16 and that was down to there being no standout team (as was brutally shown in Europe) as opposed to the strength of the league.

Strootman's Finger

That's just the usual marketing hype but in reality... if City win it this year, it will be four out of the last five and there was one meaningful, actual title race in that period. Only Chelsea and Liverpool can realistically challenge them - and I'm being generous about Chelsea who haven't challenged for the title since 2017.

Sure, the competition for European places is tight but that's true in every single league with loads of European places. Hell, that's even true in the Bundesliga where the title is a formality.
What league isn't like that? Every league, no matter how big it is or how small and insignificant, they all have a couple big teams that win everything and the rest of the teams. The difference in England is the size of that group at the top, and you are right City have cemented their dominance a bit more, but this season isn't finished, Pool could still win and that's 2 in a row for them. In the last decade there have been 5 different winners, what other league would match that? And I didn't even touch on the football, you pick any random game in England, 2 big teams, 2 small teams, 1 small vs 1 big and they are all as likely to be an excellent game. Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Netherlands, etc, top 2 or 3 teams play anyone else it's a formality, if a game doesn't involve them, it's like watching MLS.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What league isn't like that? Every league, no matter how big it is or how small and insignificant, they all have a couple big teams that win everything and the rest of the teams. The difference in England is the size of that group at the top, and you are right City have cemented their dominance a bit more, but this season isn't finished, Pool could still win and that's 2 in a row for them. In the last decade there have been 5 different winners, what other league would match that? And I didn't even touch on the football, you pick any random game in England, 2 big teams, 2 small teams, 1 small vs 1 big and they are all as likely to be an excellent game. Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Netherlands, etc, top 2 or 3 teams play anyone else it's a formality, if a game doesn't involve them, it's like watching MLS.
Slightly outdated opinion here no? considering how good Serie A has been for games this season. I’d rather watch a Serie A game than an EPL game when we talk about the lesser teams.

Not only that, Bayern Munich have lost more league games than City or Liverpool this season, Napoli, inter, Milan and Juventus have all lost more games than Liverpool, city and Chelsea. So where’s the formality?

Liverpool a couple of seasons ago had a 26w 1D 0L record! Imagine the criticism if that was another league.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
If those leagues MLS level outside of top 2, then PL teams should go and buy players from the MLS instead of buying from Germany, France, Italy, Spain, etc or just sign PL proven players like Maguire, McTominay, and AWB.

If it's the same level of football according to you, just buy MLS players then.

Pintu

According to some British press, as of Thursday, the president of Juventus, Andrea Agnelli, will announce, during a conference on international football, the return of the European Superleague with new proposals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-Juventus-Barcelona-Real-Madrid-involved.html
The Telegraph reports that in a document authored in September by the remaining ESL members, it argues: 'Since within the EU a club cannot benefit from state aids from its own member state … why should it be allowed that the football market be disrupted, to the exclusive benefit of a few state-owned clubs, because of state aids coming from non-member states?'

If the UEFA really wants to kill the prospect of the ESL, they need to tackle this. Otherwise allowing City, Paris, (and soon N'Castle) to make a joke of FPF is only going to increase support for the ESL.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The Telegraph reports that in a document authored in September by the remaining ESL members, it argues: 'Since within the EU a club cannot benefit from state aids from its own member state … why should it be allowed that the football market be disrupted, to the exclusive benefit of a few state-owned clubs, because of state aids coming from non-member states?'

If the UEFA really wants to kill the prospect of the ESL, they need to tackle this. Otherwise allowing City, Paris, (and soon N'Castle) to make a joke of FPF is only going to increase support for the ESL.
An ESL where City and PSG were invited, despite their state backers?

If financial fairness was the original goal those parties would have never been invited. I mean, the idea wouldn't have been brought up to cut off the rest of the football pyramid but let's start small with the obvious

Pintu

An ESL where City and PSG were invited, despite their state backers?

If financial fairness was the original goal those parties would have never been invited. I mean, the idea wouldn't have been brought up to cut off the rest of the football pyramid but let's start small with the obvious
They were invited, but their spending in the ESL would be seriously framed. It literally said in the press release that "In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework." The ESL is an american project, trying to look like the NBA. It doesn't make sense if it isn't between equivalent powers, and that's why there were rules on spending.

The financial fairness, as you and I see it, was not the goal. Perez clearly said he considered it unfair that Real Madrid was losing money due to Covid while most small clubs in Europe's big-league were earning money, thanks to their "transfer-based model".

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They were invited, but their spending in the ESL would be seriously framed. It literally said in the press release that "In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework." The ESL is an american project, trying to look like the NBA. It doesn't make sense if it isn't between equivalent powers, and that's why there were rules on spending.

The financial fairness as you and I see it was not the goal. Perez clearly said he considered it unfair that Real Madrid was losing money due to Covid while most small clubs in Europe's big-league were earning money, thanks to their "transfer-based model".
That makes sense, that their ultimate goal wasn't and isn't "fairness" as you and I see it, but a closed shop oligarchy.

And it's interesting to see their efforts to implement some sort of spending framework. It's the opinion of some on here that

1. Such a framework is unworkable in European football
2. PSG/City would always be able to bypass whatever spending restrictions are implemented.

It's obvious that by ditching the idea of a closed shop, and by inviting PSG/City in, the ESL believes both points above are false.

A more sensible UEFA would jump the gun by creating a more fair sport, but they are almost as useless as the Agnelli/Perez clown show.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The PL is just the SPL with money.
Only two teams really contesting the titles the last few years, and yet we ridicule every other league for being a one or two horse race.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is there? Since 17/18 City and/or Liverpool have been running up the type of stats that was used to put La Liga down when Barca/Real were doing similar and from 96 to 2013 it was (bar 04/05 when three had a shot) always United and one other when it came to who had a chance of winning the title (first Arsenal, then Chelsea, then City).

The only time it was a bit more open in terms of possibilities was between 13-16 and that was down to there being no standout team (as was brutally shown in Europe) as opposed to the strength of the league.
After Leicester won the title I can't complain about PL as a competition.

Sure if your going to hold the best managers in the world then that's going to lead to some consistency - but you feel that when their time is up then teams like Chelsea, United maybe able to improve again with also teams like Newcastle growing in to a rich big club after being bought for money.

Nero

The ESL is about replacing the CL, not domestic leagues. Why all the comments about clubs leaving the PL?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The ESL is about replacing the CL, not domestic leagues. Why all the comments about clubs leaving the PL?
This is what I think to. It's so a team has to be more consistent through a season to win the CL.

Not sure if its going to be as exciting as a "give it all knock out night" that's seen in the CL though.

BorisDeLeFora

Hopefully it happens, goes badly, and football implodes from the inside.

Premier league can feck off, happy to exploit the leagues of other nations for fans and profit, crying when it happens to them.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Also I don’t think that any of the participants, despite any public or private threats, would be kicked out of their domestic leagues.

The idea of Real and Barca being kicked out of La Liga is laughable, and even though the Premier League would surely maintain a much tougher stance and for longer, again ultimately no chance of them having the guts to kick out Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's actually part of my problem with it :lol:

SL should replace both imo. The practicalities of how to do that still elude me though :D

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Hopefully it happens, goes badly, and football implodes from the inside.

Premier league can feck off, happy to exploit the leagues of other nations for fans and profit, crying when it happens to them.
This!
So sick of football right now

ESL is inevitable and i think the right way to go if they can get the framework right. The PL has been ruined by the oil money, it needs bringing back down to earth.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I don't think it will solve anything but the PL needs a wake up call from somewhere.
Why exactly the PL? Every (major) league in Europe is rotten, Bundesliga maybe with slightly better regulations but still with the same problems just on a lower scale.
I think the best outcome would be a full fallout with the EU/European countries getting politically involved and putting a new framework in place (salary cap, ownership regulations etc.).

Why exactly the PL? Every (major) league in Europe is rotten, Bundesliga maybe with slightly better regulations but still with the same problems just on a lower scale.
I think the best outcome would be a full fallout with the EU/European countries getting politically involved and putting a new framework in place (salary cap, ownership regulations etc.).
The PL is the worst of the lot and the most detached from its fanbase. An ESL will affect all the leagues though and might just make them a bit more focused in serving the fans in order to keep them.