Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Spaghetti

Mom's
The league is far less competitive than several decades ago. You could win the league while losing 6 matches, and most teams would lose at least 10 games a season. You could lose 14 matches and still finish 4th.

The league is currently a top 2 that dicks on everyone almost every week. If either of them draw it’s a shock. The top 6 never really changes. Teams that come up routinely go down. The league is pretty predictable.
Fair enough. If that’s how you see it, then it’s different to how I see it.

Spaghetti

Mom's
There will be season where the odd team finishes 5th or 6th but it hardly negates my point. Spurs and Arsenal spent big and got back into the top 6.

Finishing 5th or 6th is possible some years but that's the end of the road for the majority of the teams in the league.
As we agreed before, everyone spent big. I like the competitiveness of the league and I enjoy matchdays. Keep negative Stevie.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think a Super League will still happen eventually.

Yes, the PL is becoming a "super league" of its own in a way. But the owners of the biggest clubs, including the biggest English clubs, still have a ton of grievances against UEFA. The American owners in particular almost certainly all believe that European football is governed in stupid and corrupt ways that both prevent them from realizing the full value of their investments and favor the clubs with state ownership (and they're not wrong about this). They have to disavow the SL right now for public relations purposes but I'm sure they're still open to thinking about other models of European competition that cut UEFA out of the picture. Having Boehly take control of Chelsea could quietly be an important step in the direction of the SL as his group will likely have a good relationship with the American owners at Liverpool, United, and Arsenal.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I mean, some sort of consolidation / consortium / aggregation is the natural outcome of almost any continental league going bankrupt. Who will be in, then? The leading EPL and a new ESL aiming at reducing the gap at the top level would just follow the current, diverging UK/EU tide in almost every sector.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The league is far less competitive than several decades ago. You could win the league while losing 6 matches, and most teams would lose at least 10 games a season. You could lose 14 matches and still finish 4th.

The league is currently a top 2 that dicks on everyone almost every week. If either of them draw it’s a shock. The top 6 never really changes. Teams that come up routinely go down. The league is pretty predictable.
Disagree.
  • In the last decade, you have 6 teams competing for 4 CL spots. The decade before that there was a top 4 that remained relatively fixed.
  • Leicester has only been in the PL since 2014 and won a title and are considered mainstays
  • West Ham was relegated a decade ago, floated with relegation before Moyes, and now they will be in Europe for two straight seasons
  • Chelsea went from finishing 10th to a league title
  • Sheffield United nearly reached Europe in their first season
There are more examples in the last decade, but you get the gist.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I fully support the Super League:
  • In the first year, it should be made up of 25 of Europe's biggest teams (average of last 20 years fans/money/history/trophies). After that the only way in is through knockout qualifiers.
  • Cap it at a max of 5 teams from E/I/S, 3 teams from G/F, and rest played through qualifiers.
  • Bottom-12 (bottom half) teams get automatic relegation to their respective leagues.
  • If for example 2 E/I/S/G/F teams are relegated, then automatic space is created for the same number of teams in their respective leagues.
  • If say Aston Villa win the PL but there are already 5 English teams in the Super League, then tough luck. However, they should receive a small share from the English Super League team's pot of Super League revenues. This would weaken the existing English SL teams making it more likely that at least one will get relegated next year, and a new team/teams can get promoted.
  • No financial doping (related party transactions, etc.) and follow La Liga rules on deciding spending budgets (very strict).
  • Follow the league format. No draws. No extra time. Every tied game goes direct to penalties. Goals scored decide any tie-breakers.
Would allow teams like Villa, West Ham, Lecesiter, Betis, Villareal, Fiorentina, Atalanta to actually dream of winning their domestic leagues, rather than just qualify for Europe.

EDIT: For the E/S/I/G/F group, if for example Aston Villa win the PL but there are already 5 English teams in the Super League, then the lowest rank English team should be dropped regardless of their position in the SL.

Last edited:

TheLiverBird

The Super League never went anywhere imo

once the idea was conceived by the big Ed’s, that was it, it will remain and will probably eventually happen in some capacity

It’s stalled at the moment because of a terrible formation tactic that lead to revolt, it landed on the people of Europe in such a fashion that it was never going to be taken too by the people

but it will be re presented too us in a much prettier box and will continue too be presented too us in various formats until it eventually happens

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The season Liverpool won the PL at a canter, they lost 3-0 to Watford.

Everyone can beat everyone in this league, there are no easy games on paper. Newly promoted teams are spending 100m, and relegation fodder can easily splash 30-40 million on a player.

This current PL is probably peak football in terms of competition.
The Barcelona team many regard as the best ever lost 2-0 at home to Hercules.

The narrative those type of results are isolated to the PL just isn't true.

A super league only works with promotion and relegation and it would have to run alongside the normal leagues otherwise I don't see the point.
The revamp to the CL is basically heading that way and I don't think that's a positive change already.

As long as English teams stay far away from it I'm not too bothered what other countries and clubs do.
The PL may aswell have no relegation given how it's rewarded.

Odds on a Norwich/Watford promotion again?

Spaghetti

Mom's

When did I say that? I was just showing that something which “never happens” occurred just 2 years ago.

However, I would say that top teams of the Prem would be more likely to lose to the bottom 3, than the top teams of la liga lose to their relegation fodder. Same for Ligue 1, serie A and the Bundesliga (all of which have less top teams).

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When did I say that? I was just showing that something which “never happens” occurred just 2 years ago.

However, I would say that top teams of the Prem would be more likely to lose to the bottom 3, than the top teams of la liga lose to their relegation fodder. Same for Ligue 1, serie A and the Bundesliga (all of which have less top teams).
I agree.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Whilst I agree the parachute payments need work to prevent the same clubs just yo-yoing between the PL and Championship there is still a dream there to the lower clubs that they'll be able to make it one day. Look at teams like Forest finally making it back, Leeds after so long out of it and then you've got the likes of Brighton, Wolves and until recently Bournemouth and Burnley that came up and stabilised spending a lot of time in the top league. That should never be impossible

Elcabron

Disagree.
  • In the last decade, you have 6 teams competing for 4 CL spots. The decade before that there was a top 4 that remained relatively fixed.
  • Leicester has only been in the PL since 2014 and won a title and are considered mainstays
  • West Ham was relegated a decade ago, floated with relegation before Moyes, and now they will be in Europe for two straight seasons
  • Chelsea went from finishing 10th to a league title
  • Sheffield United nearly reached Europe in their first season
There are more examples in the last decade, but you get the gist.
In the last decade yes but if you look at only the last five years however it's very different.

Newcastle will be in the mix going forward and we will surely find our feet at some point but right now it's either city or pool, has been for the last five years and will be for the next few.

I agree with poster above, the ESL is a only matter of time. I hope not though as it's about European clubs trying to keep up with English clubs, they can go feck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
In the last decade yes but if you look at only the last five years however it's very different.

Newcastle will be in the mix going forward and we will surely find our feet at some point but right now it's either city or pool, has been for the last five years and will be for the next few.

I agree with poster above, the ESL is a only matter of time. I hope not though as it's about European clubs trying to keep up with English clubs, they can go feck themselves as far as I'm concerned.
Not sure what conclusions about competitiveness you can draw from only 5 year period, but the main reason I used a decade was in response to a poster claiming past decades were more competitive.

I don't believe the ESL will happen. Too much negative backlash from fans of big clubs and many of the clubs themselves are against it.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
There’s no super league without the English teams. Only reason Tottenham were invited.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
  • In the first year, it should be made up of 25 of Europe's biggest teams (average of last 20 years fans/money/history/trophies). After that the only way in is through knockout qualifiers.
  • Cap it at a max of 5 teams from E/I/S, 3 teams from G/F, and rest played through qualifiers.
  • Bottom-12 (bottom half) teams get automatic relegation to their respective leagues.
  • If for example 2 E/I/S/G/F teams are relegated, then automatic space is created for the same number of teams in their respective leagues.
  • If say Aston Villa win the PL but there are already 5 English teams in the Super League, then tough luck. However, they should receive a small share from the English Super League team's pot of Super League revenues. This would weaken the existing English SL teams making it more likely that at least one will get relegated next year, and a new team/teams can get promoted.
  • No financial doping (related party transactions, etc.) and follow La Liga rules on deciding spending budgets (very strict).
  • Follow the league format. No draws. No extra time. Every tied game goes direct to penalties. Goals scored decide any tie-breakers.
Would allow teams like Villa, West Ham, Lecesiter, Betis, Villareal, Fiorentina, Atalanta to actually dream of winning their domestic leagues, rather than just qualify for Europe.
Madrid fan. Checks out

this crap is driven by Spanish and Italian teams. They spend money like confetti and now look for a way to bale them out. Let them drown I say

golden_blunder

Staff
Until such times I can be convinced it’s something good for the game and not just a money grab by the greedy bastards that want it they can feck off

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid fan. Checks out

this crap is driven by Spanish and Italian teams. They spend money like confetti and now look for a way to bale them out. Let them drown I say
It’s not about poor spending habits … it’s about evolving the competition. I mean how long can United fans suffer to watch games against Sunderland, Birmingham and Crystal Palace.

golden_blunder

Staff
It’s not about poor spending habits … it’s about evolving the competition. I mean how long can United fans suffer to watch games against Sunderland, Birmingham and Crystal Palace.
Suffer? I love the British game. It’s exciting.

the ESL is all about Spanish & Italian teams trying to get more money.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Suffer? I love the British game. It’s exciting.

the ESL is all about Spanish & Italian teams trying to get more money.
Money is an important factor for some teams but let’s be real, even United could use some cash. At least Madrid’s debt is towards infrastructure, what is United’s debt towards?
You can’t tell me that you wouldn’t rather have a fixture list of Inter, Dortmund, Madrid, Bayern, etc versus your current one.
Also isn’t it boring that 5 of the top-6 teams are pretty much the same every year?
Is this what we call competition now?
Villa/West Ham/etc don’t have the money for squad depth to mount a serious challenge. At least United can cry about playing Europa. Brentford would celebrate that. Would be so good for English football.

I also made one Edit to my original comment.

PSV

EDIT: For the E/S/I/G/F group, if for example Aston Villa win the PL but there are already 5 English teams in the Super League, then the lowest rank English team should be dropped regardless of their position in the SL.
The only practical way to hold a competition like this would be if the respective FAs went together and created it and not the clubs, as you're suggesting league play and not cup.

It's not the worst idea in the world if the respective FAs were involved as they'd be able to trickle the money down however way they wanted to the current top leagues.

Would have to be equal shares though. So something like 6 teams from E/I/S/G for a total of 24 teams. Lowest placed team out of the 6 replaced with its country's respective champions.

These 4 FAs coming together and creating something like this is probably about as likely as winning all of the big lotteries however.

golden_blunder

Staff
Money is an important factor for some teams but let’s be real, even United could use some cash. At least Madrid’s debt is towards infrastructure, what is United’s debt towards?
You can’t tell me that you wouldn’t rather have a fixture list of Inter, Dortmund, Madrid, Bayern, etc versus your current one.
Also isn’t it boring that 5 of the top-6 teams are pretty much the same every year?
Is this what we call competition now?
Villa/West Ham/etc don’t have the money for squad depth to mount a serious challenge. At least United can cry about playing Europa. Brentford would celebrate that. Would be so good for English football.

I also made one Edit to my original comment.
First of all, you a RM fan trying to lecture us about having only a few teams capable of winning the league. That’s rich don’t you think? Madrid - Barcelona. Repeat. Once in a blue moon AM.
in England the quality of the squads we face is growing year on year. There are very few “easy” teams. So do I find that boring? Absolute not.
if we cry about europa league, so what? It’s part of being a fan. We should have been better to reach the CL.
Do I want to sit in a so called super league playing the same teams multiple times? No, that would be boring and a bit pointless. It’s all about money nothing else. Madrid with their huge debt, Barca playing Russian roulette with their future as a club, Italian teams all being broke.
do I want United getting that money? No, it would go straight into the pockets of the shareholders. United would see little increase in their spending. It’s not worth changing what football is all about just to give the glazers more money. You lot can take your arrogance and drown in your debt, I hope we and the other teams don’t sign up to bale you all out. You got in the shit from buying all the shiny things from smaller clubs, now you all can live the consequences

golden_blunder

Staff
The only practical way to hold a competition like this would be if the respective FAs went together and created it and not the clubs, as you're suggesting league play and not cup.

It's not the worst idea in the world if the respective FAs were involved as they'd be able to trickle the money down however way they wanted to the current top leagues.

Would have to be equal shares though. So something like 6 teams from E/I/S/G for a total of 24 teams. Lowest placed team out of the 6 replaced with its country's respective champions.

These 4 FAs coming together and creating something like this is probably about as likely as winning all of the big lotteries however.
Exactly, it’s a money move to cover their debts. Nothing more. If they had any morals they’d worry about improving their own league and making something to be proud off

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
if the EPL is already so super, why does it matter if the rest of europe wants to make its own super league?

there are many reasons for it, and folks like galliani understand that. FFP cripples europe, but never the EPL clubs... And we know we can't count PSG into that equation, for obvious reasons.

I would obviously prefer a comp in which English teams were a part of it, they have great clubs and top players... but if the best clubs outside of england can't continue to thrive as they see fit, or continue to be stifled by UEFA/ffp... Then they need to do what's best for them.

I love the idea, aside from missing a few great clubs.

also, if the ESL happens and the EPL stays put, you think psg and bayern are just gonna stay put in their own leagues? and play who? and make cash how?

Alonzo

if the EPL is already so super, why does it matter if the rest of europe wants to make its own super league?

there are many reasons for it, and folks like galliani understand that. FFP cripples europe, but never the EPL clubs... And we know we can't count PSG into that equation, for obvious reasons.

I would obviously prefer a comp in which English teams were a part of it, they have great clubs and top players... but if the best clubs outside of england can't continue to thrive as they see fit, or continue to be stifled by UEFA/ffp... Then they need to do what's best for them.

I love the idea, aside from missing a few great clubs.

also, if the ESL happens and the EPL stays put, you think psg and bayern are just gonna stay put in their own leagues? and play who? and make cash how?
if the ESL happens, and it’s just the Italian and Spanish teams, assuming UEFA continues to exist, and the champions league is UK clubs, PSG, and assuming Bayern stay there, and includes the smaller leagues as it does now, not only will the annual ESL money be much, much lower than the £300m a year per club they predicted, i don’t think it would even be as popular as the Champions League would continue to be.

i do agree, each club needs to do what’s best for it. But i think without UK teams, PSG and Bayern, any ESL format will be massively less beneficial.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
if the ESL happens, and it’s just the Italian and Spanish teams
the ESL would never happen with just the 2 countries, in my opinion. They would need the guarantees from most of the best clubs in "other" euro countries to move forward.

In which case, PSG and Bayern would be forced to go one direction or the other.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Eh. Again, the only way to a superleague is by replacing the domestic leagues. Which as @PSV mentioned, would require the various FAs to come together and hold it jointly

I'd be massively in favour of it, but I don't see how they could make the logistics work

A domestic league including all of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, Milan and PSG would be hugely profitable, right up with the PL. Throw in Bayern and it would become *more* profitable - MUCH more

Lecland07

Well, we will probably lose to them so I don't see how it will be better in a super league.

Alonzo

Eh. Again, the only way to a superleague is by replacing the domestic leagues. Which as @PSV mentioned, would require the various FAs to come together and hold it jointly

I'd be massively in favour of it, but I don't see how they could make the logistics work

A domestic league including all of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Inter, Milan and PSG would be hugely profitable, right up with the PL. Throw in Bayern and it would become *more* profitable - MUCH more
I don’t think PSG would join, nor Bayern.
I also think a closed league would lose appeal after some time, at least while there is a more popular league with the traditional football pyramid available.

Alonzo

it’s actually enjoyable. And it’s what makes champions league so sought after and unique. Take that away and it becomes boring, quickly. Very easy to see that. Hope it never happens and thankfully most likely never will in england

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t think PSG would join, nor Bayern.
I also think a closed league would lose appeal after some time, at least while there is a more popular league with the traditional football pyramid available.
It would never be a closed league and of course PSG would join. Bayern, no idea

Hughes35

I just don't see it happening. Fans don't want it.

If any club were to enter a Super a League, I genuinely think fans would stop following them. If Man Utd were to leave the PL for the SL I'd genuinely Boycott them and start to follow Burnley or FC Utd.

Prodigal7

Why limit it to clubs in Europe. IMO if this was to happen it should replace the champions league and be an expansion of the club World Cup. A global super league.