Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

dinostar77

The only teams who want a european super league are those who look at the money making machine that is the PL with envy.

If laliga or serie A were as popular worldwide as PL they wouldnt entertain the idea of a ESL.

A crap idea for plastic fans with the attention span of goldfish.

Member 101269

The only teams who want a european super league are those who look at the money making machine that is the PL with envy.

If laliga or serie A were as popular worldwide as PL they wouldnt entertain the idea of a ESL.

A crap idea for plastic fans with the attention span of goldfish.
i'm not sure there is any basis for the attempt at insulting people, keep it about the idea.

I was for the project "in principle" previously with some tweeks, i still hold that view. I'm not sure the La Liga or Serie A as an entity, or unanimously as teams, voted for the project. Hopefully you'll explain how you arrived at the view there was envy from them driving entertainment of a ESL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 101269

People also like the luck of the draw seeing who you have to play in the CL or the romance of a small club playing a big club. That’s what excites fans. Playing Madrid 6 times a season is pointless and it will soon wear off. Then it’s too late.
How many times do teams play each other in Scotland? Has the multiple from 2 in the premiere league lowed attendance?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I like Champions League music and knock-out competitions. That's why I say no to the SuperLeague.

If the English are to be out, buy the CL anthem and create a play-off NBA style. Otherwise I am against.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
“the issue is if European fans deserve an ‘NBA’ of their own”
An NBA without English teams is more like the Canadian Basketball League. You can have it haha
This is why I feel it’s so important to get the owners of the big PL teams on board.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Wouldn't a Super League massively hurt the PL revenue?

I mean, nobody outside of UK is gonna give a damn about a PL where the contenders for the title are West Ham,Everton, Leicester, Wolves, etc.

I don't see the english FA happy about the Super League proposal.
Did people stop watching in 2016?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So CAF have announced the African super league. 24 teams with $100m in prize money.

Not long before other continents get on board

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Is it a set in stone group of rich teams each and every year? If yes then totally against it replacing CL, sometimes a big club can have a poor transition year, it happens. And a smaller club can have a screamer, the smaller club in this instance deserves the opportunity to play in the best competition.

The CL has it's flaws, sure, I think it is a bit too bloated. But it is reasonably fair as to who gets in and who does not.

The Europa conference league is pointless and should just be removed. The Europa league itself could be scaled well back, it is such a slog of a competition.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good luck to Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus getting this off the ground again given the reaction was so negative last time.

MUW4Eva

I am still sooooooo confused by this, as how on earth would this affected the women's game, if hypothetically certain clubs "broke away" from the traditional format??

Where is any explanation of what this would mean for the women's game, and the women's teams??

cyberman

Good luck to Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus getting this off the ground again given the reaction was so negative last time.

They’ll be banned from Europe for a few years anyway (will be made official by Christmas) so why not try it again? What else is there to lose?

Teja

What I really want is a European competition with the best European clubs.

This top four nonsense is ridiculous. Just sort clubs by some coefficient and pick the top 32.

MUW4Eva

What I really want is a European competition with the best European clubs.

This top four nonsense is ridiculous. Just sort clubs by some coefficient and pick the top 32.
I would prefer to see a secondary European competition for women's teams announced...

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Absolute jokers. So, they're asking for dialogue after initially attempting a couple d'ete when they first announced it?

Exactly what dialogue are they expecting? Football fans in England made it abundantly clear they're not in favour of a SL, so if they genuinely want to listen then they'll know they're out. German clubs are never going to join as the German public thinks in a similar fashion and their club structures will veto it. French clubs similar, however we all know the only one that'll get enough power is PSG, however even then, they know they'll get hamstrung by the others' so they'll be out. The 3 big Portugese teams are built on playing over the country so that their fans from outside Lisbon and Porto can see them. Thus, they'll be seeing this new SL as a secondary competition to the league due to the nature of the fandom.

That means, 3 out of the top 5 leagues big teams aren't going to go for it after the calamity of their last attempt.

Then we get to distribution. There is some fancy words in that little video but the biggest that sticks out is that European competition is run by UEFA who take a slice (which is then filtered down.) Of course, UEFA isn't perfect (far from it) but if anyone thinks that the likes of Perez, Laporta, Henry, the Glazer's are going to sign off on distributing mor money, needs their heads looking at.

So, no it isn't happening, the dialogue outside of their closed bubbles will tell them that the majority of fans don't want it. Politically, the English, Portugese and German teams won't be able to join. PSG will also reject it.

This video has come about because Real, Barca and Juve know they'll not get a win at the CJEU. Too many countries lined up against it when giving evidence (I mean even Portugal, who had initially said they would support it politically reversed course once they saw where the wind was blowing) and their is a significant argument that clubs are cultural entities rather than corporate institutions which means the enterity of the EU's legislations on monopolies, free market enterprise etc, can be avioded to protect their cultural status/the cultural status of the current football ecosystem.

This video is just about trying to apply some pressure to avoid the bans that are coming their way. Anyone who watched the Super Greed documentary can see UEFA were properly p*ssed and that the other teams who initially joined then pulled out won't get enough support from their own fans.

I suspect two year bans from all European competitions for the three of them.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
My biggest issue with it is how clubs choose who goes in their.

For example Juve would be in the super league.

Why should they? They have been shit for 3 years now and struggle to beat relegation teams.

Spurs would be their as well? What the hell is “super” about spurs for them to be in the ESL?

United would be their? They are anything but a super club in the last 10 years.

Nothing about the ESL is about merit, it’s just about money.

The fact Villarreal made the semi finals if the cl is the exact reason the ESL is stupid.

MUW4Eva

Absolute jokers. So, they're asking for dialogue after initially attempting a couple d'ete when they first announced it?

Exactly what dialogue are they expecting? Football fans in England made it abundantly clear they're not in favour of a SL, so if they genuinely want to listen then they'll know they're out. German clubs are never going to join as the German public thinks in a similar fashion and their club structures will veto it. French clubs similar, however we all know the only one that'll get enough power is PSG, however even then, they know they'll get hamstrung by the others' so they'll be out. The 3 big Portugese teams are built on playing over the country so that their fans from outside Lisbon and Porto can see them. Thus, they'll be seeing this new SL as a secondary competition to the league due to the nature of the fandom.

That means, 3 out of the top 5 leagues big teams aren't going to go for it after the calamity of their last attempt.

Then we get to distribution. There is some fancy words in that little video but the biggest that sticks out is that European competition is run by UEFA who take a slice (which is then filtered down.) Of course, UEFA isn't perfect (far from it) but if anyone thinks that the likes of Perez, Laporta, Henry, the Glazer's are going to sign off on distributing mor money, needs their heads looking at.

So, no it isn't happening, the dialogue outside of their closed bubbles will tell them that the majority of fans don't want it. Politically, the English, Portugese and German teams won't be able to join. PSG will also reject it.

This video has come about because Real, Barca and Juve know they'll not get a win at the CJEU. Too many countries lined up against it when giving evidence (I mean even Portugal, who had initially said they would support it politically reversed course once they saw where the wind was blowing) and their is a significant argument that clubs are cultural entities rather than corporate institutions which means the enterity of the EU's legislations on monopolies, free market enterprise etc, can be avioded to protect their cultural status/the cultural status of the current football ecosystem.

This video is just about trying to apply some pressure to avoid the bans that are coming their way. Anyone who watched the Super Greed documentary can see UEFA were properly p*ssed and that the other teams who initially joined then pulled out won't get enough support from their own fans.

I suspect two year bans from all European competitions for the three of them.
Does this ban that you mention at the end, include banning of their respective women's teams as well??

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Why should they? They have been shit for 3 years now and struggle to beat relegation teams.

Spurs would be their as well? What the hell is “super” about spurs for them to be in the ESL?

The fact Villarreal made the semi finals if the cl is the exact reason the ESL is stupid.
Exactly. The three that are left arguing are doing so for their own protection. Juve, as you say aren't the team they were 5 years ago and don't look like they'll be back their anytime soon. The pandemic crippled them financially, the have a bloated but average side and the other Italian teams have caught up on them.

Barca need the SL to pay down there debt. The SL was meant to be their saviour but once that went they had to resort to 'levers'. They can stumble on for a few more years' as they are 'levering' themselves but soon the chickens will come home too roost on their debt and asset sales which will reduce their income.

Real want this as they know their is bow no chance La Liga catches the PL in financial terms. They'll still be the biggest team in Spain but they'll no longer have the Financial might to take on the PL teams and PSG. Thus, no more guarantee of Galaticos year in, year out.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Does this ban that you mention at the end, include banning of their respective women's teams as well??
Most likely as the bans will come down on the entity and not just an arm of the entity.

MUW4Eva

Most likely as the bans will come down on the entity and not just an arm of the entity.
Is that not just a bit harsh, what have the women's side of things done to warrant being banned from European competition??

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The brand is huge. The fan base is huge. If you launched a Super League tomorrow and offered exclusive streaming to paying customers, it would be unthinkable to leave United out.

Money. It's all about money (of course).

MUW4Eva

The brand is huge. The fan base is huge. If you launched a Super League tomorrow and offered exclusive streaming to paying customers, it would be unthinkable to leave United out.

Money. It's all about money (of course).
Will there be a Super League for the women's teams??
I have yet to see any information on this....

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Will there be a Super League for the women's teams??
I have yet to see any information on this....
I have no idea.

But I don't see why the logic behind a ESL wouldn't apply to women's teams as well.

However, I suppose there isn't anything inherently impossible in having Manchester United (men) competing in a ESL and Manchester United (women) continuing as before.

(Or vice versa, for that matter.)

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Is that not just a bit harsh, what have the women's side of things done to warrant being banned from European competition??
Because they're owned/operated by the people that tried to create it. Same argument could be made for the men's teams, their players and coaches didn't sign up for it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm beginning to think this is a great idea now. But only 6 teams should be in it: Barca, Real, PSG, City, Chelsea and Newcastle. And they have to play each other 4 times. So 20 games per team.

MUW4Eva

I'm beginning to think this is a great idea now. But only 6 teams should be in it: Barca, Real, PSG, City, Chelsea and Newcastle. And they have to play each other 4 times. So 20 games per team.
Newcastle?? Just thinking about that from a women's perspective, since they compete currently quite low down the pyramid, there could be some VERY high scores there!

MUW4Eva

I have no idea.

But I don't see why the logic behind a ESL wouldn't apply to women's teams as well.

However, I suppose there isn't anything inherently impossible in having Manchester United (men) competing in a ESL and Manchester United (women) continuing as before.

(Or vice versa, for that matter.)
Liverpool have only just been promoted, after getting relegated a few years ago, what right would they have to be playing against top level sides like Lyon or Barcelona for example (you can't have a Super League without the very best team, Lyon)??

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Barca and Real have been pretty much "state funded" at times, granted, but they aren't state owned. Chelsea have never been state owned (and these days they've even lost their owned-by-a-criminal-oligarch status).

So, the proper, state-owned Super League should be comprised of just City, Newcastle and PSG.

I'd base the league on state funds myself: City and PSG (being the poor boys) play each other 19 times (home and away) to make it a familiar 38 round league. And then the winner plays Newcastle in a two-game (h/a) playoff to determine the league champion.

They could do a knock-out cup tournament too:

Newcastle get a first round bye - and then play the winner of the one semi (City-PSG) in the final.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I’m surprised by how badly they are going about this. Surely the lesson from the first time around is to message all of this at an appropriate time and change some things. I'm fuzzy on the details but:

- Change the setup from guaranteed placement to having to qualify. I guess it would be acceptable to have a guaranteed placement for the first few years as a reward for the investment? But iirc that was the main issue a lot of people had, the league was closed off and only 2(?) spots were available for qualification.

- Go for a KO-based setup.

- I liked the idea of hearing the referees and their decision process (I think this was mentioned?).

I wouldn't mind it in a setup that is similar to the CL but they need to get rid off the no relegation rule or whatever it was. Improve by introducing things people are asking for (stop clock?).

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I’m surprised by how badly they are going about this. Surely the lesson from the first time around is to message all of this at an appropriate time and change some things. I'm fuzzy on the details but:

- Change the setup from guaranteed placement to having to qualify. I guess it would be acceptable to have a guaranteed placement for the first few years as a reward for the investment? But iirc that was the main issue a lot of people had, the league was closed off and only 2(?) spots were available for qualification.

- Go for a KO-based setup.

- I liked the idea of hearing the referees and their decision process (I think this was mentioned?).

I wouldn't mind it in a setup that is similar to the CL but they need to get rid off the no relegation rule or whatever it was. Improve by introducing things people are asking for (stop clock?).
This us because they know they're not getting the judgement in Dec/Jan and they're likely facing a European ban which will hit them very hard financially.

What they're trying to do now is try os frame the previous move a reasonable (thus avoid a ban) and win some popular support amongst those outside of England and Germany to keep this on life support.

Hence, the inclusion of relgation/promotion, the reiteration of a 'broken system' (I.e. the inability for the Non-PL leagues to keep up with the PL) and the shift to 'dialogue' being the key cornerstone.

Strootman's Finger

This

Ludens the Red

I think we need to start sectioning the people running Barcelona, Madrid and Juventus. These guys are just not thinking straight. Nobody can be this tone deaf.
This thing does not work and does not make money if Premier League clubs don’t join. They’re not going to join. Bayern Munich and Dortmund fans would never allow their clubs to join. Just let it go you fecking imbeciles.

All because real , Barca and juve no longer have the monopoly on big players . Blatant self interest and preservation at such a grotesque level.
Uefa are magnificent cnuts don’t get me wrong but their competitions and the merits and methods to qualification are still far better than anything these three wally clubs drum up.

I’m loving my life

Barca and Real have been pretty much "state funded" at times, granted, but they aren't state owned. Chelsea have never been state owned (and these days they've even lost their owned-by-a-criminal-oligarch status).

So, the proper, state-owned Super League should be comprised of just City, Newcastle and PSG.

I'd base the league on state funds myself: City and PSG (being the poor boys) play each other 19 times (home and away) to make it a familiar 38 round league. And then the winner plays Newcastle in a two-game (h/a) playoff to determine the league champion.

They could do a knock-out cup tournament too:

Newcastle get a first round bye - and then play the winner of the one semi (City-PSG) in the final.
They should just play back to back round robin games (and when I say back to back, I mean when the whistle blows to end one game, the next game starts). The plastic fans will be able to watch their beloved team all day.

The competition only stops when two of the three runs out of money

arnie_ni

@MUW4Eva

Why do you keep bringing the woman's game into this? The woman would carry on as they are would they not?