Is the World Cup finally heading back to South America again? | Yes. Congrats Argentina

Vanrouge

Everyone talking about South America and overlooking North America. Has it gone unnoticed that the mighty Canada are going to Qatar? :p

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, nobody had you pegged as winning it in 2018 so you never know.

Doesn't really seem to be any real stand out squad this time, though. Spain 2010, Germany 2014 and France 2018 squads were all miles ahead of the competition. Maybe Brazil actually will go and win it as favourites.
Actually many on the caf had France has a favorite for some reason. Personally I didn't and was pleasantly surprised but there were definitely a bunch of people naming France.

JPRouve

Scout
Everyone talking about South America and overlooking North America. Has it gone unnoticed that the mighty Canada are going to Qatar? :p
A Curling world cup in Qatar? That's a bit strange.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
They weren't special in 1994 and 2002 and won it
They were amazing in 1982, 1986, 1998 and didn't

So hard to predict how a WC will pan out - they do look good though, and I'm looking forward to see how they do
Well, a guy can't always be right.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Actually many on the caf had France has a favorite for some reason. Personally I didn't and was pleasantly surprised but there were definitely a bunch of people naming France.
I recall everyone being unanimous that they had the best squad but that French people were very negative about Desailly and said there was no way you’d win. Actually quite similar to Germany in 2014 with Low.

JPRouve

Scout
I recall everyone being unanimous that they had the best squad but that French people were very negative about Desailly and said there was no way you’d win. Actually quite similar to Germany in 2014 with Low.
There is never anything unanimous in France and especially not when it comes to the national team or the president. :lol:

massi83

Thankfully they ended up not picking the 49 year old to the final squad.

Massive Spanner

There is never anything unanimous in France and especially not when it comes to the national team or the president. :lol:
:D I should've clarified, non French posters/people said France had the best squad! French people/posters downplayed your chances a lot more than anyone else I think.

Anyway favourites means nothing really, as I said, Brazil have been favourites for the last three and failed miserably at them all.

JPRouve

Scout
:D I should've clarified, non French posters/people said France had the best squad! French people/posters downplayed your chances a lot more than anyone else I think.

Anyway favourites means nothing really, as I said, Brazil have been favourites for the last three and failed miserably at them all.
The chances yes but I don't think that french posters were the ones being negative about Deschamps, it's mainly foreigners that are negative(at least on the caf). The reason we were for the most part not expecting to win wasn't because the team was bad but because it was too green, the same kind of applies here. The young team from 2018 has been largely renewed due to injuries and some players losing form, so while most of the players introduced have been good, we don't really know how they are going to perform with a different group. There has been too much turnover in the past 24-36 months to have a clue about this team.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

The chances yes but I don't think that french posters were the ones being negative about Deschamps, it's mainly foreigners that are negative(at least on the caf). The reason we were for the most part not expecting to win wasn't because the team was bad but because it was too green, the same kind of applies here. The young team from 2018 has been largely renewed due to injuries and some players losing form, so while most of the players introduced have been good, we don't really know how they are going to perfome with a different group. There has been too much turnover in the past 24-36 months to have a clue about this team.
Yeah fair enough. Still so much talent, though, but it does feel like it's too soon for a lot of them.

redshaw

Looked promising for a while that a South American team can win or at least go far. It's really up for grabs, some nations have improved while others seem to have fallen down a bit.

Last World Cup had 4 European semi finalists.

I wonder though if a smaller euro nation like Belgium or Denmark can lift the cup. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out despite the groans around the location and timing with like what teams looking lackluster right now can turn it on for the World Cup, there's plenty of big euro nations in that category.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Shouldn't have been a shock, it was a very strong spine with Varane mid 20s and not much injured then, Kante was still fantastic in that period and upfront certainly Greizmann was more effective than he is now. Only issues were FBs all getting injured but someone like Pavard with not much experience came in and did what was required.

You weren't far off winning the 2014 and 2016 editions so it was just a culmination of experience and peaking at right time.

France will be in the mix but some of those names above have declined and not sure the excellent young players are quite ready to kick on in NT so would have France as SF and no more.

TheRedHearted

Brazil, Argentina and Spain are my favourites going into this one, and I think Argentina will win this. Brazil and Spain are in tricky groups and could face each other in the quarters, and that may be too much to then follow up and play Argentina.

Argentina have a much smoother path till the semis. Plus Lautaro, Romero, De Paul, Emiliano, etc. have added a lot of steel through the middle and they will grind through wins in the KOs when needed.
Does Spain even have a striker?

TsuWave

Not going to lie, didn't know where to post this and just wanted to share it because it made me smile

joga bonito might really be back

JPRouve

Scout
Shouldn't have been a shock, it was a very strong spine with Varane mid 20s and not much injured then, Kante was still fantastic in that period and upfront certainly Greizmann was more effective than he is now. Only issues were FBs all getting injured but someone like Pavard with not much experience came in and did what was required.

You weren't far off winning the 2014 and 2016 editions so it was just a culmination of experience and peaking at right time.

France will be in the mix but some of those names above have declined and not sure the excellent young players are quite ready to kick on in NT so would have France as SF and no more.
I wasn't shocked but 2016 and 2018 are different teams and pretty much nothing to do with the 2014 group. 2016 had Payet, Evra, Sagna, Sissoko, Koscielny/Rami starting.

In fact your last sentence is exactly what happened in 2018 and why I thought that it was too early and was eventually wrong. The introduction of young players adds uncertainty.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Not going to lie, didn't know where to post this and just wanted to share it because it made me smile

joga bonito might really be back
Most of those kids are gonna sign for a brazilian first division team under a pragmatic coach (99% of brazilian coaches are very pragmatic nowadays), and get transformed into systemic player than run a lot and focus more on position instead of using their raw talent.

Football has become too pragmatic in modern era, part and parcel of teams focusing more and more on systems.

No wonder we don't see many pure dribblers anymore.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wasn't shocked but 2016 and 2018 are different teams and pretty much nothing to do with the 2014 group. 2016 had Payet, Evra, Sagna, Sissoko, Koscielny/Rami starting.

In fact your last sentence is exactly what happened in 2018 and why I thought that it was too early and was eventually wrong. The introduction of young players adds uncertainty.
Lloris-Pogba-Greizmann were all involved in 2014 weren't they? So those were the leaders to push the new players on and I think it was just more saying France were back as serious contender after the poor period after 2006 final loss given how close you pushed Germany in quarter finals. Kante had his breakthrough at Euro 2016 so the spine was there to then have a serious go at winning the world cup.

It wasn't some Croatia run that's for sure with all the talent in your squad.

As I've said though I think France are a little like Germany were after winning in 2014. Still a very good team but suddenly there's 5% missing once in knock outs so I'd be surprised if you retained the World cup.

JPRouve

Scout
Lloris-Pogba-Greizmann were all involved in 2014 weren't they? So those were the leaders to push the new players on and I think it was just more saying France were back as serious contender after the poor period after 2006 final loss given how close you pushed Germany in quarter finals. Kante had his breakthrough at Euro 2016 so the spine was there to then have a serious go at winning the world cup.

It wasn't some Croatia run that's for sure with all the talent in your squad.
Three players don't make a team and prior to the actual competition(2016) Pogba was bad for France. There is a lot of hindsight and people judging France based on reputation more than the actual players or their performances.

Kanté wasn't part of a spine in 2016, he was the player that deservedly lost his spot when Deschamps moved to a system that actually worked during the competition. And I can't really agree with anyone suggesting that a team without a stable defense and no experienced wide players was expected to have a serious go at winning the world cup. France were outsiders not favorites largely because no one had an actual idea about how the team would be set and which players would step up. In fact it is France weak points that saw it win the world cup, the introductions of Hernandez, Pavard and Mbappé brought what was needed, then it also took a tactical change during the competition and adapting to some players deficiencies.

And a team that was defensively leaky turned into a very stingy defense. People talk about talent on paper without putting it in context, that applies to all of the "top" nations whether we are talking about Brazil, Argentina, Spain, England, Belgium, Italy, Germany or France. They all have talent but what make them favorite or not before a particular competition is their own context not just talent otherwise they would all be favorites which means that none of them are actually favorites because you can't reasonably have 7 or 8 favorites.

Zlatattack

It's going to be Ingerland. We're going to Sack off Southgate, get in Tuchel and send Maguire to a Greek prison.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

Also, nations that have won two World Cups in a row:

Brazil 1958 and 1962
Italy 1934 and 1938

That's it. That's the list.

Brazil had Pele and Garrincha, two of the greatest players of all time in one team.

Italy had Mussolini :D

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
My prediction:
Semi Final 1: Winner of Netherlands v Argentina and Spain v Brazil
Semi Final 2: Winner of England v France and Croatia/Germany v Portugal

I don't think there will be 2 South American teams in the final.
If England top the group and do well they will likely face Ecuador > France > Croatia/Germany/Portugal > Final.

For obvious reasons I'm hoping for Argentina v Portugal final.

Last edited:

BlackShark_80

Also, nations that have won two World Cups in a row:

Brazil 1958 and 1962
Italy 1934 and 1938

That's it. That's the list.

Brazil had Pele and Garrincha, two of the greatest players of all time in one team.

Italy had Mussolini :D
Italy had Meazza, Piola, and Monti who were arguably among the best players in the 30s.

nav_10

Can’t be bothered about intentional football nowadays let alone this hideous absolute joke of a World Cup.
Holland always been my team since Euro 1996 so I might watch their games, but regardless, if not Holland then I hope Argentina wins it, Messi deserves it.
I agree....always preferred it when it was more accidental ;)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Italy had Meazza, Piola, and Monti who were arguably among the best players in the 30s.
It was a joke but really designed to highlight a serious point. The WC was totally different back then, it was very hard for teams to even travel to other continents and Italy had the advantage of one of their double being at home and the other was also in Europe. This distinguishes them from Brazil 58-62, who were a totally different level basically from any team in history. Plus, of the players you've named, only Meazza belongs in all-timer/pantheon discussions.

Idxomer

Their fullbacks aren't great but otherwise, they're stacked everywhere and should be favourites to win it.

Swordsman

Looked promising for a while that a South American team can win or at least go far. It's really up for grabs, some nations have improved while others seem to have fallen down a bit.

Last World Cup had 4 European semi finalists.

I wonder though if a smaller euro nation like Belgium or Denmark can lift the cup. I'm really excited to see how it all plays out despite the groans around the location and timing with like what teams looking lackluster right now can turn it on for the World Cup, there's plenty of big euro nations in that category.
No chance for the the world cup greatest "loser" ?