Is there a lack of dribblers who beat their man?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There is a lot of emphasis on finding gaps, exploiting space, punishing mistakes. And football is more disciplined than ever.

While that sounds positive, has it hurt players who love to be more adventurous and wanna beat their direct marker all game long? Ronaldo 2006/07 comes to mind, he was getting past players for fun.

Is there a lack of proper dribblers?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Defenders are faster than ever, and attackers need incredible endurance to play at the top. The narrow the range of people who can make it endurance wise, as the place increases, the less we'll see skill matched with it. The slower game of the past allowed skill players to operate more easily. Those players couldn't keep up today.

We're seeing a lot more pens for the same reason.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Defenders are faster than ever, and attackers need incredible endurance to play at the top. The narrow the range of people who can make it endurance wise, as the place increases, the less we'll see skill matched with it. The slower game of the past allowed skill players to operate more easily. Those players couldn't keep up today.

We're seeing a lot more pens for the same reason.
Is there data that backs this up? Just curious. Like distance run, amount of sprints etc.

Zen86

Football is cyclical. Dribbling and creative freedom will be back in fashion again soon enough.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think skill moves and skills like Ronaldinho are a bit of a thing of the past. The modern game revolves around stamina and pace which favours players that pass and move or people like Traore that can hit and chase the ball. You’ll get players like ASM at Newcastle that have superb close dribbling skills and are able to quickly shift the ball and then run with pace but slowing the ball down and using skills isn’t as utilised as often because of how football is really.

Youll always have some players falling through the gaps but I doubt it will be as much as there used to be.

ti vu

Football is not more disciplined. It's less disciplined overall in contrary if anything.

What happens is more teams adopting total football philosophy meaning that they require more players involvement both in defense and in attack job. This means dribblers have to face with more defenders as well as having to be asked to track back. It requires better work ethnic.

Many lazier dribblers got shift toward forward position to ease them the defensive track back. Some other get transfer into wingback. This forward position however requires more than just dribbling, and wingback require more defensive ability.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

@VorZakone
@Beans
@SilentWitness
I don’t mean to sound like a dick but what are you guys on about :lol:

Messi
Neymar
Mbappe
Hazard
Traore
Boga
Atal
Gnabry
Sancho
Dembele

But I guess city and Liverpool don’t have any great dribblers. And presumably modern day football revolves around Liverpool and City.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
@VorZakone
@Beans
@SilentWitness

Messi
Neymar
Mbappe
Hazard
Traore
Boga
Atal
Gnabry
Sancho
Dembele

But I guess city and Liverpool don’t have any great dribblers. And presumably modern day football revolves around Liverpool and City.
And Zouma.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
@VorZakone
@Beans
@SilentWitness

Messi
Neymar
Mbappe
Hazard
Traore
Boga
Atal
Gnabry
Sancho
Dembele

Atal? Boga? Haven't proven anything yet at top level. I'm also not saying there are literally no dribblers anymore, just a lack of them.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There is a lot of emphasis on finding gaps, exploiting space, punishing mistakes. And football is more disciplined than ever.

While that sounds positive, has it hurt players who love to be more adventurous and wanna beat their direct marker all game long? Ronaldo 2006/07 comes to mind, he was getting past players for fun.

Is there a lack of proper dribblers?
And was subsequently easily found out and had to change his game.

Ludens the Red

Atal? Boga? Haven't proven anything yet at top level. I'm also not saying there are literally no dribblers anymore, just a lack of them.
I mean the thread title is “is there a lack of dribblers who beat their man”..
There isn’t a lack of at all. In fact I’d say there’s more now than ten years ago.