Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank White

After yesterday's horrible 2nd half performance I started to wonder if there is some pressure from our club to have Rashford playing as much as possible because they (board?) want him to play at the World Cup? I don't think he'd still be on the pitch that long in other club with hungry player like Garnacho on the bench. When Mourinho left United he said 'people don’t know what is going on behind the scenes' and I am just wondering if this is one of those situations.
If that was the case then surely they would be applying pressure for him to play all the English lads no? Shaw and Maguire benched, Henderson loaned, Sancho yet to play a full 90. Rashford is playing every game atm because are alternatives are unfit/unable to play, don't think there is some Alex Jones level conspiracy going on here.

Trex

If that was the case then surely they would be applying pressure for him to play all the English lads no? Shaw and Maguire benched, Henderson loaned, Sancho yet to play a full 90. Rashford is playing every game atm because are alternatives are unfit/unable to play, don't think there is some Alex Jones level conspiracy going on here.
People speak of the board as if they don't realize that about 70% of the board are the Glazers who am sure don't give a feck about team selection.

Frank White

People speak of the board as if they don't realize that about 70% of the board are the Glazers who am sure don't give a feck about team selection.
Just don't get the logic behind the reasoning and I've seen a few people say this now. Don't think it takes a genius to see Martial is injured and Ronaldo had a terrible pre-seaon so by default Rashford is the next in line....

GlasgowCeltic

I will not try to defend how woeful Rashford has been for the last couple of seasons, however pretty much all of our players have been as bad.

Rashford had a significant injury to recover from coming back at a time when the team was showing terrible form, I do not think the issues around Greenwood or his laudable but distracting social work outside of football have helped with this.

ETH has at least got Rashford running again and building up some sort of form, we have seen more from him this season already.

I think if Rashford can get back to where he was 3 seasons ago and build from there he is up there with the best attacking players in the world, the lad has serious quality and pace to burn, how much would the Rashford of 3 seasons ago cost to buy? the lad is only 24 people writing him off need to sit back and give him a break, if you are going to judge him, do so fairly, for one I would rather have him than the anonymous after 40 minutes Sancho.
keep seeing weirdos doing this - "lay off the critique of Rashford as it hurts my feelings, criticise Sancho instead whom I'm less attached to"

Zed 101

I will not try to defend how woeful Rashford has been for the last couple of seasons, however pretty much all of our players have been as bad.

Rashford had a significant injury to recover from coming back at a time when the team was showing terrible form, I do not think the issues around Greenwood or his laudable but distracting social work outside of football have helped with this.

ETH has at least got Rashford running again and building up some sort of form, we have seen more from him this season already.

I think if Rashford can get back to where he was 3 seasons ago and build from there he is up there with the best attacking players in the world, the lad has serious quality and pace to burn, how much would the Rashford of 3 seasons ago cost to buy? the lad is only 24 people writing him off need to sit back and give him a break, if you are going to judge him, do so fairly, for one I would rather have him than the anonymous after 40 minutes Sancho.
keep seeing weirdos doing this - "lay off the critique of Rashford as it hurts my feelings, criticise Sancho instead whom I'm less attached to"
Absolutely no need for this from you Glasgow!! OP asks for opinions about Rashford, this is mine, where do I say anything about my feelings being hurt..... absolutely ridiculous and pointless reply well done Glasgow you have outdone yourself!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Feeds kids & is an Academy lad. Both are subjective values that cloud the feck out of many people's thinking.

Zed 101

Feeds kids & is an Academy lad. Both are subjective values that cloud the feck out of many people's thinking.
Or could just be their opinion!! just because you disagree you cannot assume how or why an opinion has been formed..... beyond ridiculous, the idea that somebody cannot separate their views of a persons, social and footballing career, is just belittling and incorrect

People on here need to start posting opinions on topic rather than what 90% of the trolls here do which is to look for and throw criticism at other posters.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Or could just be their opinion!! just because you disagree you cannot assume how or why an opinion has been formed..... beyond ridiculous, the idea that somebody cannot separate their views of a persons, social and footballing career, is just belittling and incorrect

People on here need to start posting opinions on topic rather than what 90% of the trolls here do which is to look for and throw criticism at other posters.
Sorry it stings, but both issues are paramount with how Rashford is viewed. To think otherwise is puerile.

Zed 101

Sorry it stings, but both issues are paramount with how Rashford is viewed. To think otherwise is puerile.
So great one you know how and why my opinion is formed? have you asked me or do you just assume that I cannot separate my view of a person and the football I see on the pitch, and have seen over the entirety of a players career, and the 30+ years I have watched Utd?

Basically you, like many if not most other on here do not have the decency to respect other peoples right to an opinion if it differs from yours, so you either outright insult them or belittle them in some other way.

Either ask me why I believe what I believe or have the common decency to post your opinion (in regards to the OP) not just jump on people trying to undermine them

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Keep continuing the G+A same number as Sancho lad.

Never cost 70 million and performs the same amount of goals and assists.

Thom Merrilin

I thought he was pretty good against Leicester. Got an assist and had some great linkup play throughout the game. He is woeful in the air though.

He probably shouldn't be a center forward but for a winger playing up top he played well. I'd continue to start him instead of Ronaldo.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
On current form, definitely. He has looked like a completely different player under EtH. It took a while to adjust to ten Haag's methods, as did the whole team, but he is looking like a man possesed at times. If only he could become more clinical infront of goal, because he is creating alot of chances for himself right now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Never stopped believing. Though now he's making a step up. His all round game improving, he's getting into great positions, linking well, getting loads of shots (and good shots, not random speculative shots) off... Genuinely at his best form IMO. Making a step up which is great to see.

AFC NimbleThumb

Don’t know if he’ll be the starting LW in our best 11 should we reclaim a consistent spot at the top table but any idiot saying he should be sold or let go on a free better have the spare £70+mil it’ll cost to replace him.

Kinky Melinky

On current form, definitely. He has looked like a completely different player under EtH. It took a while to adjust to ten Haag's methods, as did the whole team, but he is looking like a man possesed at times. If only he could become more clinical infront of goal, because he is creating alot of chances for himself right now.
The thing with Rashford is that you're never confident he will finish it. In fact you're more confident he will bumble his touch, or choose the wrong option. And consistently over the past number of seasons he has performed in a way where many fan's lack of confidence in him is certainly warranted. He's a sort of 6 to 7 out of 10 player, with the odd 8+ out of 10 performance.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Never stopped believing. Though now he's making a step up. His all round game improving, he's getting into great positions, linking well, getting loads of shots (and good shots, not random speculative shots) off... Genuinely at his best form IMO. Making a step up which is great to see.
He’s 25 today with 100 goals under his belt, what and where were the likes Mane, Salah and Vardy doing at that age, I’m not saying he’s going to have peak years like them but you never know, looks like he’s got his confidence back and a bit of fire in the belly after the way he went looking for goals yesterday.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is getting lot of chances which is always a good sign, I hope this aerial threat is not just a purple patch, if he is a threat then we can see lot of far post attacks.

NoPace

Don’t know if he’ll be the starting LW in our best 11 should we reclaim a consistent spot at the top table but any idiot saying he should be sold or let go on a free better have the spare £70+mil it’ll cost to replace him.
Yeah, he's our 3rd striker as well and you need one of those.

ST: New Signing, Martial, Rashford
LW: Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho
RW: Antony, Sancho, Diallo/Pellistri

feels about right if Diallo or Pellistri can make it here.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Stepped up to what ?

He's been abject for so long so any sort of improvement is something better than where he was at.

He's improving which is good but a long way from stepping up the level needed.

Fully Fledged

Stepped up to what ?

He's been abject for so long so any sort of improvement is something better than where he was at.

He's scored 7 goals this season our next best is 3. He's got 3 assists second only to Eriksen who has 5. He has been our most consistent goal threat all season. Nobody else has come close.
Now we've paid massive money for Sancho and Anthony and neither of them are getting anywhere near him in regards to end product. Sancho has 3 goals and 1 assist while Anthony has 3 goals no assists.

The idea that he shouldn't be in our starting line up is not only laughable it's idiotic. I hope with all my heart that Sancho and Anthony step up and out preform him in regards to end product but until that happens he is and should be our first choice left winger.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Stepped up to what ?

Are you kidding? He's stepping up to being a top level wide forward. Back to his best form and maybe even stepping up past that 19/20 season. Easily the level that is needed and thankfully ten hag isn't blinkered like some on here still clearly, and has made Rashford our most important attacking player. Don't be ridiculous and open your eyes.

justsomebloke

He's scored 7 goals this season our next best is 3. He's got 3 assists second only to Eriksen who has 5. He has been our most consistent goal threat all season. Nobody else has come close.
Now we've paid massive money for Sancho and Anthony and neither of them are getting anywhere near him in regards to end product. Sancho has 3 goals and 1 assist while Anthony has 3 goals no assists.

The idea that he shouldn't be in our starting line up is not only laughable it's idiotic. I hope with all my heart that Sancho and Anthony step up and out preform him in regards to end product but until that happens he is and should be our first choice left winger.
Although Antony has those 3 goals in just 6 PL starts. So that's actually a better performance in terms of being a scoring threat than Rashford's.

Not that I disagree with your general point that he's looking very much like our first choice left winger. In my opinion, also our first choice striker, until Martial is back.

Fully Fledged

Although Antony has those 3 goals in just 6 PL starts. So that's actually a better performance in terms of being a scoring threat than Rashford's.

Not that I disagree with your general point that he's looking very much like our first choice left winger. In my opinion, also our first choice striker, until Martial is back.
That's if you just cherry pick the PL. In all comps Rashford has scored a goal every 162 mins while Anthony is a goal every 277 minutes.

I think he works a lot better coming in from the left rather than playing through the middle. If you look at his goal breakdown he is prominently right footed so gains an advantage arriving from the left of the goal.

justsomebloke

That's if you just cherry pick the PL. In all comps Rashford has scored a goal every 162 mins while Anthony is a goal every 277 minutes.

I think he works a lot better coming in from the left rather than playing through the middle. If you look at his goal breakdown he is prominently right footed so gains an advantage arriving from the left of the goal.
Not sure I'd consider that to be cherry picking, given the disparity in level so far this season. Antony has done well, I guess is my point.

I agree Rashford is better on the left than in the central position, but he's still our best option centrally right now.

Fully Fledged

Not sure I'd consider that to be cherry picking, given the disparity in level so far this season. Antony has done well, I guess is my point.

I agree Rashford is better on the left than in the central position, but he's still our best option centrally right now.
I like Anthony I think he could become a great player for us.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
He's done remarkably well in his career given the lack of stability at managerial level.

Even despite that, if three penalties had gone a different way in the 2018 FA Cup Final, 2021 Europa League final and the Euros final then he'd have a very impressive trophy haul for a player of his age.

Lynty

I still think we'll see a Rashford revival this season. Wouldn't be suprised if he ends up our top scorer. Got all the tools in his locker for Ten Hag to work with.

There does seem to be a problem with mentaility/effort but thats been across the squad for a couple seasons now. Get a few wins on the bounce and we'll start seeing him play with more freedom (I hope)
Never in doubt

nakpodiareuben

This is the only season he will play central half for us. I see him taking the left wing spot for a long time with Anthony on the right. Sancho will be the obvious loser. I hear people mentioning Gatkpo Coming but Rashford offers a lot more than what Gatkpo can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.