Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

Come on it didn't affect Beckham on field one bit. SAF felt him being England captain dropped his utd performances but he was still a world class player and maximised his skill to the fullest. Not the lazy performances were seeing from Rashford, isn't he only 22/23? He was better at 17/18, still time for him to turn it around obviously.
You've just said it didn't affect Beckham one bit then in the next sentence said SAF felt his performances dropped. I don't recall Fergie ever saying that was down to the England captaincy either. Bit he did question the other off field stuff. I don't think he sells Becks if he was performing as he did 98-2000.

Becks was in America by the time he was 30 wasn't he? I wouldn't call that maximising a career. It's pretty clear Beckham's off field ambitions took over the football to some extent. I'm saying this as a huge Beckham fan.

Just hoping the same isn't happening to Rashford. I'm sure his team would love him to chase a knighthood,that's marketing gold, just like Becks wanted. Just don't let it take away your on pitch edge.

Swiss_Red89

I think the best thing to to with him at the moment is to use him as an impact sub. Bring him on around the hour mark. His skillset is perfetcly suited to play against tired legs.
If he can build momentum and confidence from there, he can start more often again.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
First choice front 3 should be Sancho-Ronaldo-Greenwood.

That doesn't mean that Rashford should be cast aside though. A lot of people seem to forget that squads are needed and that rotation (especially in a gegenpressing system) is a thing.

choccy77

Rashford has been poor so far and he can't blame his shoulder any more.

Hopefully new coach will light a fire in him, because we all know what he can do, I just don't want him to end up like Lingard and Martial

sp_107

I respect him as a person but i think a little break or time on bench could help him.

It felt like we played with 9-men yesterday because of Rashford and McTominay

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He'll be fine when we actually have some structure to our attacking play

alexthelion

I sometimes wonder if he’s not particularly thrilled playing with Ronaldo. He’s a player that wants to make runs and score goals, and Ronaldo has a tendency to shoot on sight rather than pass. I see the occasional signs of Rashford looking a bit fed up.
Must be like looking in a mirror for him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just put players in when they're in form. If Rashford is out of form, give Martial/Mason a go, we have quality forwards, nobody should really be an automatic starter imo.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I imagine Ralf will play guys who do what he wants. I think Rashford has got a higher chance of starting than Martial, maybe even Greenwood. Will be interesting to see which forwards sparkle under Ralf. It is hard to predict but very exciting.

I have hope that Martial can reinvent himself under a strict coaching regime.

davidmichael

Think people forget that Rashford spent a lot of last season playing injured for us and kept on getting rushed back because Ole relied on individual brilliance to get by then Rashford went to the Euro’s when he should have rested or had surgery as he barely played a minute then had surgery and has only been back a few weeks.

To be fair he’s been no worse than anyone else and outside of Ronaldo being Ronaldo and Greenwood early in the season none of our forwards have played well, Rashford needs games and fitness to get back to form and I’d have him over Martial as Rashford on the left at his best is better than Martial whilst each players lowest level still sees Rashford on top due to him actually willing to track back.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That is totally up to Marcus Rashford.
If he is able to get back to some of his best form and is delivering what his manager wants, then yes of course.
And that pretty much goes for all the players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good chance for him under Ralf, hopefully he will take it. Now that we have Ralf and also players like Greenwood ready to step in, his position will be under threat almost every week. Hopefully team selection will be based on form and also with good rotation.

Jacob

I think it's already established Sancho is ahead of Marcus in the pecking order. Question is whether Rangnick will make something out of Greenwood or not.

Coleyoscar

Think people forget that Rashford spent a lot of last season playing injured for us and kept on getting rushed back because Ole relied on individual brilliance to get by then Rashford went to the Euro’s when he should have rested or had surgery as he barely played a minute then had surgery and has only been back a few weeks.

To be fair he’s been no worse than anyone else and outside of Ronaldo being Ronaldo and Greenwood early in the season none of our forwards have played well, Rashford needs games and fitness to get back to form and I’d have him over Martial as Rashford on the left at his best is better than Martial whilst each players lowest level still sees Rashford on top due to him actually willing to track back.
Completely agree. He hasn't overcome the problems of the last twelve months yet but he will, given time and support from the management. I am certain he'll be back to his best before too long.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You've just said it didn't affect Beckham one bit then in the next sentence said SAF felt his performances dropped. I don't recall Fergie ever saying that was down to the England captaincy either. Bit he did question the other off field stuff. I don't think he sells Becks if he was performing as he did 98-2000.

Becks was in America by the time he was 30 wasn't he? I wouldn't call that maximising a career. It's pretty clear Beckham's off field ambitions took over the football to some extent. I'm saying this as a huge Beckham fan.

Just hoping the same isn't happening to Rashford. I'm sure his team would love him to chase a knighthood,that's marketing gold, just like Becks wanted. Just don't let it take away your on pitch edge.
I understand the comparisons but Beckham was a whole different caliber of a player compared to Rashford. Rash at his peak to me will be a Nani level winger, which he also may not reach given how things have been going.

Foxbatt

I would prefer to see Sancho start with Ronaldo. Then have Bruno and DVB behind them.

Swiss_Red89

I think in the new 4-2-2-2 formation of Rangnick Rashford has every chance to get regular minutes. Especially when he finds form.

Because in this formation Rangnick likes one of his forwards to run the channels and constantly looking to go in behind the defence. It was exactly the way Werner was used for Leizip. Rashford is perfect for that role on paper.

darko

First choice front 3 should be Sancho-Ronaldo-Greenwood.

That doesn't mean that Rashford should be cast aside though. A lot of people seem to forget that squads are needed and that rotation (especially in a gegenpressing system) is a thing.
Yes, sir. That is the best front three. Plus, Cavani and then Rashford can be used.

The way I see it, with a new manager, the under performers have an opportunity to prove themselves as trustworthy. I suspect two or three will do that.

Jackal981

Somehow his gameplay has regressed. He has become a Theo Walcott with his kick and rush style, dribbling like a blind horse towards pack of defenders, taking random shots, getting offside all the time, wont track back and wont pass. Right now he does not deserve to start

wolvored

Somehow his gameplay has regressed. He has become a Theo Walcott with his kick and rush style, dribbling like a blind horse towards pack of defenders, taking random shots, getting offside all the time, wont track back and wont pass. Right now he does not deserve to start
Yes agree with that. I also think hes took his eye off the ball with his campaigning. Drop him to the bench see if that lights a fire in him.

Maticmaker

Marcus has plenty left in his tank, but he is now going to come up against other United players (under RR's guidance) who can start to produce situations that bring the crowd to its feet. After yesterday I would include Fred, for his two shots in one game (and scored one) and Lindelof with his forward sorties with and without the ball, deep into opposition territory, both to be within this group.
Therefore, along with many other United players who perhaps consider themselves as 'starting regulars', Marcus is going to have to show he has more options in his locker, to impress RR.

Its one of the best squad outcomes when a new manager takes over....everybody starts with a clean sheet!

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I think most would start him from the bench at the moment. He's had a difficult spell. He needs to adapt a bit now and work out, or be told, what he can bring to this new incarnation. Anyone looking to bin him is mental. He has so much to offer. Has looked for ages likes he needs a guiding hand. Excited to see how the next few months go for him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Love my boy! :drool:

Just needs to take it slow and be on the bench a bit whilst Ronaldo is the main man at United. He needs to learn a bit and adapt to his back injuries aswell as general training on things like pressing etc.

He will be fine, just currently at a time when we arguably play a 36 year old player and a 34 year old one. Sancho is the most creative out of Rashford and Greenwood with the latter 2 being the most deadly in finishing - just got to take it easy as the experienced players came from nowhere.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
He is kind of off form right now but he definitely has a spot in the first team. His ability to break the defense line is just valuable, it hinders the opponent to move up the defense line which creates a gap between the opponents defense and their midfield, which gives play makers such as Sancho and Bruno to exploit.

MattofManchester

Think he needs to be benched for a while till he figures himself out and gets the hunger back.

He doesn't look a player who's working hard to be as best as he can be and he's regressed quite a lot.
He was developing his skill with the ball and his ability to create, but now he's just become someone who is overly reliant on his own pace.
His offsides and refusal to challenge aerially are not helping his case at all.

Hopefully he'll sort himself out, but he needs to be on the bench till then.

Matt851

Yes agree with that. I also think hes took his eye off the ball with his campaigning. Drop him to the bench see if that lights a fire in him.
Don't buy his campaigning has anything to do with it

Agree he looks to have regressed at the moment but hopefully it's a patch of bad form. He also looks a bit of it physically and seems slower than he used to be, hopefully that's not a permanent thing

M Bison

Supports
York City
Of course there’s a place for him. He’s in poor form, why the caf writes players off like this baffles me.

remember the “burst his bubble” thread…

KennyBurner

If Ralf fixes our midfield problems with signings rashford and Martial have to be starters.

There is no top team that doesn’t have blistering attackers to take advantage of space. As shit as Rashford is playing, when we get more structure I suspect he will come back to life. Replace mctominay with a much better midfielder and Rashford will have so much help he could even get away with being bang average. Both him and Martial are our only direct players that can take on defenders so they have more value compared to pogba, Sancho and greenwood.

Dearg hÉireann

It's hard to sum up the kind of rollercoaster performances that Rashford has had in his career so far.

His pro points are obvious to everyone -
  • Pace
  • Physique is improving all the time
  • Strikes the ball pretty clean and true
Negatives -
  • Dribbles down blind alleys constantly
  • Work rate is average at best
  • Not consistent in any way
He genuinely looks world class at times but it's too few and getting less all the time. I think he could be in trouble keeping his place in the side if his output doesn't improve dramatically.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He is our fastest forward and once he gets back to form he'll be key to breaking teams down and opening gaps with his runs in behind. The 4222 really does suit so many of our players. Greenwood is another who should flourish being able to play up top alongside a strike partner.

MrBest

If he performs to expectations, then he should be in the side. If he does not, he should be on the bench. Same approach with every player please. We don't need to theorise whether Rashford deserves a starting place as if he automatically gets one because of his name. Every place should be based on merit.

Foxbatt

The issues I have with him are running into blind alleys, and not making an effort to defend. He doesn't even take shots from range anymore. He tries to dribble inside.

Think he needs to be benched for a while till he figures himself out and gets the hunger back.

He doesn't look a player who's working hard to be as best as he can be and he's regressed quite a lot.
He was developing his skill with the ball and his ability to create, but now he's just become someone who is overly reliant on his own pace.
His offsides and refusal to challenge aerially are not helping his case at all.

Hopefully he'll sort himself out, but he needs to be on the bench till then.
This is a very good point.

Does anyone remember the last time Rashford actually scored with a header? I can remember a glaring miss against Norwich in 19/20, where he got lucky that the ball rebounded off the post and keeper before going in (so not even his goal), and that one on his PL debut against Arsenal.

He's appalling in the air, and he doesn't even bother attacking crosses half the time - Cavani and Ronaldo know exactly where to be when we have the ball out wide, while all three of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial (slight improvement on the other two but still awful) just stand around. It's been going on for years and years too, I thought Solskjaer of all people would be able to sort their movement out.

Status
Not open for further replies.