Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
He is similar to Martial in the sense that he never really kicked on after his early promise, although I would argue Martial's first season was better than anything Rashford has ever produced.

I feel that, if he was not homegrown, most of the CAF would have wanted him out by now. He was an exciting prospect at 20, 21, with the blistering runs and the occasional screamer. However, the hope was that he would find some consistency by now, while it has been the other way around. Good performances are few and far between with an ocean of excuses always ready for him.

My point is that, from a purely footballing perspective, I think he should be sold, but do not think this is particularly likely to happen.

Jackal981

Sell him to Newcastle for 100 million
Would drive him there myself if the offer comes. Probably now he is one of the easiest player to defend in the league. Just play some offside trap, and you know when he is 1v1 he always tries to cut in and shoot. I dont know whether because of 0 coaching for the last 3 years or this is just his ceiling. He needs to find his form quickly or he will be relegated to the bench by RR. None of this bollox of him always playing because he is one of Ole's golden boys.

Blood Mage

It's a bit premature to talk about selling him but he definitely needs dropping. There's no way Greenwood can't offer more than him right now.

NewYorkRed

I’m not the biggest Rashford fan (still think Tony’s the better player out of the two), his finishing I think will never improve, but under the right coach his decision making definitely can. I actually he think he suits RR’s formation really well. Will be interesting to see how it goes for him in the next few months.

MUFC OK

He wastes the ball far too much. I don’t expect him to do anything when he gets it currently. Has to improve.

Jibbs

It's a bit premature to talk about selling him but he definitely needs dropping. There's no way Greenwood can't offer more than him right now.
If Greenwood were at Dortmund we'd have paid Sancho money to get him, he's one of the finest talents to ever come from United. I consider him way above both Martial and Rashford.

Foxbatt

Martial is an odd one. Maybe like Rashford he is not being coached properly? Maybe under a good coach they become a lot better.

Seij

I feel bad for Marcus because I think working with Ole and his coaching staff for 3 years during what should've been his prime development period stunted his growth. With that said, he's 24 and should still have room to grow.

Let's see how he does under RR and the eventual permanent manager.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Was really good, bought into his own hype and has stagnated.

I mean, how many times do you need to dribble into 3 defenders and lose possession to realise you're making poor choices?

stw2022

People keep mentioning about the coaching hampering his development and they may have a point but working hard shouldn't be a trait a top player keen to get on needs to be coached on. I'm not buying the idea that he's spent three years not knowing he had to track back or looking like he gave a damn because nobody told him he had to. Quite apart from anything what an absolutely exhausting player to coach he'd be if these absolute basics had to be instructed else he wouldn't know that he needed to do them.

Bad coaching has limited us as a team over last three years but it's not responsible for a player being unaware that walking around the pitch isn't acceptable. If a player gets to nearly 300 games for club and country and those most keen to give him the benefit of the doubt are suggesting he'll come good once he's got a coach who will tell him that he needs to put in the effort then I think honestly that says more about where people really think he is than any of the criticism levelled at him can.

Apokalips

2019 against Newcastle.

He's scored 4 in 282 games. One of the 4 was this weird one against Stoke in 2017.
He also had one of the 4 on his league debut against Arsenal IIRC. He never really goes up for headers and I have often pointed this out to mates, it is pointless whenever a ball is in the air as he is too scared to even make it tough for a defender and I hate it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Stupid post
Not though is it?

It would affect me massively if I knew I was gonna get abuse like that, even if I play well, and feck all gets done about it.

I’m amazed any footballer bothers to have social media or even attempts to view some of the comments whether they do or don’t, let alone the ones of colour.

Added to normal (i.e. comments about being shit or whatever) abuse when he‘s off form, I’d be questioning the worth of bothering.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Ten Hag can use Anthony and David Neres - Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood will be fine as long as balanced expectations are met.

MattJ166

Wow, the hypocrisy from people and the mods on this forum.

A strike for having an opinion and childish cotton woolers cry!!!

How dare anyone criticize or have a differing opinion?

You are the very reason society is in dire straits. Generation z who need kind words only and nothing else

A lot of people have given differing opinions on Rashford, with most actually slating him as you have done.

You on the other hand just straw-man an entire argument and act as if what he has done for the poor is a bad thing. You're not some old wisened master imparting knowledge, you're a whiny man-baby screaming about things he doesn't have a clue about.

Bebestation

Premier League
Ronaldo goals & assists per min - 1 every 117.25
Rashford goals & assists per min - 1 every 135.3
Greenwood goals & assists per min - 1 every 165.4
Sancho goals & assists per min - 1 every 648

CL
Sancho - 1 every 222 mins
Greenwood - 0 every 214
Rashford- 1 every 159
Ronaldo - 1 every 72

Please dont shout at me for using stats, I'm not asking you to believe anything :)

stw2022

You can not score or assist and have a brilliant game or do both and outside of those two specific contributions be an absolute liability.

Why the last person to touch the ball before the player who sticks it in the net is such a vaulted stat that’s always taken out of context to explain that someone must be playing well will always be a mystery to me. As a stand-alone statistic it’s probably among the least impressive given that it tells you nothing except this bloke had the penultimate touch of the ball before it went in the net. Fred’s assist against Arsenal an example of the last seven days of how ‘got an assist’ is an indication often of absolutely feck all in terms of performance given anyone with eyes could see he was atrocious in that game

“lol at the plastics thinking Fred had a poor game. He got an assist “ - is literally the last two years of the Rashford argument between fans

Last edited:

Bebestation

To be fair that's the exact same thing happening with our most important players this season - scores a goal or makes an assist but ultimately their performance across the full 90 mins has not been good enough.

9 Stone Elvis

Assists are a good stat to supplement the argument that an excellent player is excellent but its a weak defence for a poor player.

You can use goals on their own because "he's scored 10 in 8" stands on its own even if a player isnt doing much else. Hes assisted 5 goals doesnt tell us anything without context.

Rashford has been bloody awful this season so far regardless and we should now have enough forward option for it no longer to mean he starts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Assists are a good stat to supplement the argument that an excellent player is excellent but its a weak defence for a poor player.

You can use goals on their own because "he's scored 10 in 8" stands on its own even if a player isnt doing much else. Hes assisted 5 goals doesnt tell us anything without context.

Rashford has been bloody awful this season so far regardless and we should now have enough forward option for it no longer to mean he starts.
That's correct but no one is using that as a defense for "poor" player.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Greenwood will eventually take his place and we will bring in someone new after Ronnie leaves. So I feel Rashford will have to settle for a squad rotation role in the future unless the new manager after Rangnick changes formations that requires a left sided forward/winger.

To be honest he only has himself to blame. He has not kicked on and improved on his problem areas (decision making, work rate, dribbling into blind alleys etc.)

Bestietom

Rashford need to buck up. Nowhere near the form he showed when he burst onto the scene, and has gone backwards.

Kaos

He’s a hugely frustrating player but would still like to see if Rangnick can get a tune out of him. There’s no way he gets sold even if it’s the better footballing decision - he’s a homegrown local lad that’s a huge PR win for the club.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Can’t fathom the hate this guy gets. He played last season riddled with injury which obviously affected his output and was still one of our top performers. This season he’s come back from a lengthy spell out with said injuries and has already contributed goals and assists.
A lot of the frustration with Marcus seems to be based around his decision making and wasting the ball - but the other side of that coin is the movement around him, or lack there of. He regularly has little or no angle for a pass, other than to go backwards because our attackers don’t move for him to receive the ball which is why we are usually dawdling on the ball and why Marcus regularly goes it alone to try and score. He must get so frustrated.
After lockdown when he had Anto up top with him they thrived on each other’s movement which is why we had such a good end to that season. Since then he’s mostly been playing with a static No.9 target, which is harder to find a pass to - especially when it’s Ronaldo marked by 3 men.
I hope Ralfs quick transitions and 10 seconds to shoot rule significantly speed up our play and you will see Marcus shine again, I am sure of that.
Either way- he is one of the first names on the team sheet for years to come whoever is the manager - whether you guys like it or not.

9 Stone Elvis

Can’t fathom the hate this guy gets. He played last season riddled with injury which obviously affected his output and was still one of our top performers. This season he’s come back from a lengthy spell out with said injuries and has already contributed goals and assists.
A lot of the frustration with Marcus seems to be based around his decision making and wasting the ball - but the other side of that coin is the movement around him, or lack there of. He regularly has little or no angle for a pass, other than to go backwards because our attackers don’t move for him to receive the ball which is why we are usually dawdling on the ball and why Marcus regularly goes it alone to try and score. He must get so frustrated.
After lockdown when he had Anto up top with him they thrived on each other’s movement which is why we had such a good end to that season. Since then he’s mostly been playing with a static No.9 target, which is harder to find a pass to - especially when it’s Ronaldo marked by 3 men.
I hope Ralfs quick transitions and 10 seconds to shoot rule significantly speed up our play and you will see Marcus shine again, I am sure of that.
Either way- he is one of the first names on the team sheet for years to come whoever is the manager - whether you guys like it or not.
He absolutely wont be if he continues as he is. Being capable of good moments will get you so far but if we want to return to the very top we need elite players in his position and if you take the Arsenal game for example you see why we have a problem with him.

I have no hate for him at all, id like nothing better than for him to be that elite level player but at the moment I dont think he will be and if he cant then its an issue.

The ONLY reason that I have any dislike for him (and its not actually for him) at all are sycophantic outpourings like this where everything else is the world is to blame for Marcus Rashford not playing well other than Marcus Rashford.

Abraxas

He's not one of the first on the team sheet for "years to come" - why would he be? Under Ole he might have been but that is a decision that will be taken exclusively by the next manager.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You're confusing hate with deserved criticism. Everyone wants him to suceed, he's our main star player and a great human being, but you also can't ignore tha flaws in his game.
Regarding little space or no angle to pass/ nobody available for a pass - it's true but also a big RESULT of his decision making, which is to put it mildly, questionable. Sancho and Greenwood are playing in the same team and they are much better at those basics.
Marcus problem is his decision making, meaning he is an ultra direct player so looks great in some games when he has space to run or pass into, but unfortunately most games require much "more" in terms of general play, link-up, tracking back and making himself available for the pass. I see Rashoford out of the game way too much to value him high, IMO Greenwood is already better player and if Sancho continues his grow will be picked ahead of Rashy as well.
He will be a regular, but he might not be first choice soon.

romufc

Rashford hopefully realises he needs to up his game.

I think Rangnick using him in the 2 is actually good. He keeps mentioning vertical balls, in the PL, Rashford along with Son is probably one of the best at this, running in behind. We have seen it alot, even under Ole, the vertical balls from Bruno and Lindelof

roonster09

Scout
You're confusing hate with deserved criticism. Everyone wants him to suceed, he's our main star player
Is he our main star player? Except for half a season I don't think he was ever our main star player. It was Pogba when Ole took over, for half a season when Pogba and Martial were injured, it was Rashford (even with Martial available) and then once Bruno was signed it was him.

Before Ole, under Jose Rashford was rotational player.

peridigm

Is he our main star player? Except for half a season I don't think he was ever our main star player. It was Pogba when Ole took over, for half a season when Pogba and Martial were injured, it was Rashford (even with Martial available) and then once Bruno was signed it was him.

Rashford was deemed the future of United. Potential top goal scorer etc.

nodlocnost2

Give him time under the new management, I like his pressing though he was like a ferret running up a drain pipe

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems like a multitude of things have contributed to his stagnation - injuries, perhaps making it too soon, and his outside projects (hate to say it, but would be surprised if it didn't contribute). He can do some wonderful stuff with a football, it's just not often enough. He seems to have lost or never had ability to instinctually make good choices.

That said, perhaps it just needs the right manager and coaches to get the best out of him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I put it wrong, does't matter who is the MAIN star player, it's more about having a few star players like Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba etc. I never considered Rashford to be the one standout guy to be honest. But he definitely is in that group of players.

roonster09

Scout
Rashford was deemed the future of United. Potential top goal scorer etc.
Yeah but never the star player. Future? Yes, like how we consider Greenwood as our future star.

Frank White

Anyone with a better understanding of how stats work care to explain them to me? Just reading over are last game and going stat for stat on the defensive side of their games Rashford and Sancho where near identical or at the very least the difference was miniscule but yet Sancho gets "put in a shift" "fantastic work rate" and Rashford gets "lazy and lost the hunger"

RUCK4444

LW/LF is nailed on for him. His competition is Martial ffs.

He will come good. Never got the hate that some have for him tbh. Some fans just like to hate players I think.

Many mates/colleagues who support opposition teams regularly mention him as a player they would love to take from the squad we have and that they don't understand the hate he seems to get from certain sections, I tend to agree. He's always given his all, this talk of him being lazy I find baffling, sure he's out of form, but he gives his all and will come good under Ralf.

He banged in 20 goals last season under what many claim was a manager with zero tactical ability and instruction to his players. Was one of our most important players, once he hits form it will be like having a new signing this season, he's at a low point since coming back from injury, just needs a bit of time.

youmeletsfly

He will come good. Never got the hate that some have for him tbh. Some fans just like to hate players I think.

Many mates/colleagues who support opposition teams regularly mention him as a player they would love to take from the squad we have and that they don't understand the hate he seems to get from certain sections, I tend to agree. He's always given his all, this talk of him being lazy I find baffling, sure he's out of form, but he gives his all and will come good under Ralf.

He banged in 20 goals last season under what many claim was a manager with zero tactical ability and instruction to his players. Was one of our most important players, once he hits form it will be like having a new signing this season, he's at a low point since coming back from injury, just needs a bit of time.
Only on this page there are literally at least 5-6 good examples on why people hate him. Hate is a strong word, I know, but people don't like him because he hasn't changed 1% of his game since he was a 19 year old. Actually, I'd say his game went downhill once he reached the age of 20 and started to not pass the ball, not press and occasionally sulk. I'm not even going to mention his football intelligence, it's not even worth discussing.

He will come good to a standard that is acceptable for Man United in the last 10 years, 10-15 goals a season, a few assists and the usual performances in which he misses 80% of a game and then scores a goal. In the last game Ronaldo had more defensive contribution than him and that says a lot. I remember the United boards 15 years ago were fecking fuming when Cristiano would blindly dribble into 5 players and shoot from every position on the pitch, I don't get why it's a travesty to treat Rashford the same, what changed?

I can't say it's his fault (even if it is) because of the wonderful stuff that he's done outside the game but that counts to jack shit when he's on the field. I think even Ole said in a conference that he needs to focus on his game and then they tried to spin it like it wasn't a critical observation.

I actually think a move wouldn't be that bad for his career as he stagnated here in the last 3-4 seasons. He needs to find a way to recover these last 3-4 years and somehow add some good decision making into his game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

His competition on LW is Sancho who looks much better currently. Both on and off the ball. And Jadon is not in particularly great form, adapting to new league and teammates, so it doesn't look like Rashford is "nailed on" to start at all.
Right wing is considered his worst position (and good luck competing with Greenwood).
In 4222 he can only play the forward position, and IMO it's time to make the decision what to make of Rashford, because a wide player he is not.

Only people who see absolutely no flaws in Rashford game say things about "hate" towards him. You really have no issue with his work rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.